Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

Thread: Corsair revisits CPU cooling: introducing the Hydro Series H50

Xtreme Member
    Does it make a difference if the in and out barbs are at the top?

Will it be possible to use a push pull configuration for the Corsain unit and put a fan blowing the rad from the inside of the case and use the other fan (Corsair provided) as an exhaust one?It seems crazy to me to intake hot air inside the case.

Would it affect the results,matching the True that way? (considering the True has a same blowing operation)
    Γηράσκω αει διδασκόμενος!

PC:just a pc

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesrt2004 View Post
    +1 wait for someone respectable to do the review
    Quote Originally Posted by Dante80 View Post
    From the looks of it, the setup left much to be desired...

1> The TRUE setup uses one more fan (the exhaust fan).
    2> Not only that, but the "exhaust fan" in the corsair setup was put on push (intake) mode, thus killing airflow and getting hot air from the radiator to hit the mobo.
    3> The side fans in the stacker just ed up things more. You do not design airflow this way (that goes for both setups), you just end up adding turbulence to the system. Choose your strategy (positive or negative pressure), and adjust your setup accordingly.

I'm waiting personally for a frostytech review so that we can see the cooler efficiency under clean conditions (bench table, stable watts to dissipate for all solutions). Also, we need to see results for lower rpms and watts (maybe spcr will pick up a sample). This kit is still more suited to a HTPC rig, not an overclokced i7 one (not that it should not aim that category)...
    Quote Originally Posted by sosna View Post
    Will it be possible to use a push pull configuration for the Corsain unit and put a fan blowing the rad from the inside of the case and use the other fan (Corsair provided) as an exhaust one?It seems crazy to me to intake hot air inside the case.

Would it affect the results,matching the True that way? (considering the True has a same blowing operation)
    Ok I am convinced not to give up on this product just yet.

You're push-pull config idea is quite interesting...
    SweClockers.com

CPU: Phenom II X4 955BE
    Clock: 4200MHz 1.4375v
    Memory: Dominator GT 2x2GB 1600MHz 6-6-6-20 1.65v
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    GPU: HD 5770

Xtreme Member

Well, a push-pull exhaust setup would be much more efficient, and still use the same amount of fans that a single (push only) TRUE setup uses. This is because in the configuration used, the fan for the radiator takes the place of the stock case exhaust fan. Frankly, I wouldn't even THINK OF reversing the exhaust fan airflow like H did...its just wrong.

Personally, I'd mount it that way, and use it against a push-pull TRUE with the fans for both setups set for negative pressure (for example push @1600 and pull @2000, or 1200/1600). That way we would:

1> Max out (without using earspliting deltas etc) the airflow cap, so that we can witness differences based on dissipation coming from actual the heatsink/radiator.
    2> Eliminate variances due to improper case airflow. This is very important, especially since these variances build over time (thus rendering a lengthy stress test comparison useless)..
    3> Have a closer to real use cooling scenario.

The TRUE would still have the advantage of one more fan in the configuration, but that would happen in most (if not all) builds anyway. What we really want to look at is whether the radiator can cope as well as the heatsink in dissipating heat...so we have to eliminate all other factors...
    Last edited by Dante80; 06-17-2009 at 06:48 AM. Reason: typos T_T

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Dante80 View Post
    Well, a push-pull exhaust setup would be much more efficient, and still use the same amount of fans that a single (push only) TRUE setup uses. This is because in the configuration used, the fan for the radiator takes the place of the stock case exhaust fan. Frankly, I wouldn't even THINK OF reversing the exhaust fan airflow like H did...its just wrong.

Personally, I'd mount it that way, and use it against a push-pull TRUE with the fans for both setups set for negative pressure (for example push @1600 and pull @2000, or 1200/1600). That way we would:

1> Max out (without using earspliting deltas etc) the airflow cap, so that we can witness differences based on dissipation coming from actual the heatsink/radiator.
    2> Eliminate variances due to improper case airflow. This is very important, especially since these variances build over time (thus rendering a lengthy stress test comparison useless)..
    3> Have a closer to real use cooling scenario.

The TRUE would still have the advantage of one more fan in the configuration, but that would happen in most (if not all) builds anyway. What we really want to look at is whether the radiator can cope as well as the heatsink in dissipating heat...so we have to eliminate all other factors...
    In my opinion the results seem believable in the hardocp review.

Good starter kits like the swiftech 120 compact, have a better overall base(a better pump(mcp 350), a thicker radiator with a 81 cfm fan and I wouldn't not doubt a better block since the price is higher and swiftech has more knowledge in the field. Yet the swiftech offers around TRUE performance.

This corsair looks more akin to something like a cool it(radiator thickness) and just because it has the name corsair on it, doesn't mean it will be given a magic 20C boost in performance.

Corsairs other products, you could tell they were going to be good from the beginning, the ps had a good OEM, the case simply has good features and etc. This doesn't looks like anything spectacular design wise, so I don't know why people are expecting crazy results. The fact that HARDOCP got shipped a broken unit doesn't inspire confidence in build quality either.

Xtreme Member
    In my opinion the results seem believable in the hardocp review.

Good starter kits like the swiftech 120 compact, have a better overall base(a better pump(mcp 350), a thicker radiator with a 81 cfm fan and I wouldn't not doubt a better block since the price is higher and swiftech has more knowledge in the field. Yet the swiftech offers around TRUE performance.

This corsair looks more akin to something like a cool it(radiator thickness) and just because it has the name corsair on it, doesn't mean it will be given a magic 20C boost in performance.

Corsairs other products, you could tell they were going to be good from the beginning, the ps had a good OEM, the case simply has good features and etc. This doesn't looks like anything spectacular design wise, so I don't know why people are expecting crazy results. The fact that HARDOCP got shipped a broken unit doesn't inspire confidence in build quality either.
    Well yes, that may be. Personally, I also believe that its performance will be worse than a modded and lapped TRUE, at most load situations. It just makes sense.

That doesn't mean though that the methodology that H used was right. The setup for the corsair unit was wrong, and I think that it could influence the results. This is what we were talking about in the posts above...

I am Xtreme
    theres are the four main factors that go into a heatsink/waterloop:

the contact from cpu to heatsink base/waterblock
    the heat moved from base to fins by the water/heatpipes
    total surface area of the fins/radiator
    lost air pressure from fin/radiator density

each one factors into the total performance by a huge margin. imbalance in any can destroy the performance. and thats not including the effects of human input/errors, like bad mounting or fan configurations. when trying to compare a water cooling system to a heatsink, the main difference is step 2, how well does water take away heat compared to heatpipes. if they were to look at the temperature of the fins/radiator, (given that the fans move air identically, which is tough to guarantee, and that the surface area is the same) the one with the hotter fins will be the one with better efficiency of removing heat from the block to the fins. the base and fins are both near their limit for modification, you can really only get more surface area, or use copper instead of aluminum.

still even with the heatpipe vs water efficiency, there are still many options. like the pin/maze configuration of the waterblock, or the direct touch heatpipes, or how the heatpipes are spread out into the fins. this is where the most tweeking goes and where the most performance can be gained when comparing things that look the same.

its very possible this can out perform a true, but at 50w or 200w i dont know, or at what fan speeds. since effiency is not as simple as .1C/W in all cases, just the tested ones. who knows if this will suck at 50w but pwn at 200w, or if at 1000-2000rpms beats the true, but fails at under 1000rpms.

Corsair Rep
    You guys should see more reviews coming up this week and next week. Our internal testing numbers have never claimed this is the world's best cooler, but we've never been able to get an aircooler to beat it unless it was an open bench test or we put super high RPM fans on the aircooler.

Xtreme Member
    Anyone know where the video went? I can't find it on hardocp and it seems to be missing from the site posted above. Maybe hardocp redoing the review due to unfavorable feedback?
    Last edited by nsegative; 06-17-2009 at 05:19 PM.
    MSI P67 GD65 B3
    2500k 4.8
    GTX480 835/1650/2000
    8gb ram
    Win7

Never go full retard
    what happened to the review?

I am Xtreme
    i hope being retested

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    what happened to the review?
    http://hardocp.com/news.html?news=ND...VzaWFzdCwsLDE=

Never go full retard
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
    You guys should see more reviews coming up this week and next week. Our internal testing numbers have never claimed this is the world's best cooler, but we've never been able to get an aircooler to beat it unless it was an open bench test or we put super high RPM fans on the aircooler.
    Any info about the fan configuration being used?

Xtreme Member
    Any info about the fan configuration being used?
    I'd like to know that too...specifically.

1> Is a push-pull double fan configuration feasible?
    2> Corsair advises users to mount the solitary included fan in a push, or in a pull setup? The H preview used a push setup, but the mounting made sure that hot air is expelled into the case, not away from it.

For me -after what i ve seen- i consider that it can beat the True by only matching it!

Look at the price and the hassle free install,not to mention the noise being produced.A win win situation,at least for a mid o/cer like myself.

Xtreme Addict
    Freaking good! My TRUE cannot get around 45c @ 3.6ghz fully loaded.

All systems sold. Will be back after Sandy Bridge!

Xtreme Member
    Southern ITALY - Thus, sorry for my bad english!
    Hi all,
    yes I would like to confirm that the "high end air cooler" that corsair quotes in its test with the H50 is the TRUE.

P.S.: I will receive a Corsair H50 in a few days

Xtreme Member
    So I have found a pre-order in the UK.... http://www.c3computers.co.uk/catalog...ookieSupport=1 ........just waiting for reviews now, to see if its worth getting!!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Manc View Post
    So I have found a pre-order in the UK.... http://www.c3computers.co.uk/catalog...ookieSupport=1 ........just waiting for reviews now, to see if its worth getting!!
    Oh my god

That's the price of a high-end air cooler
    SweClockers.com

Xtreme Addict
    For anyone testing this, it really is essential to atleast get 1 test with both the TRUE (or equivalent) and the Corsair unit using the same fan, and another test with both of them using 2 fans in a push/pull.

I know lots of review sites like to just test things as stock, with the included fans because thats what people get, thats great but for anyone actually wanting to know the real potential of a cooler those tests are 100% worthless.
    EVGA X58 Classified
    Intel i7 965
    Corsair Dominator 1600mhz 3x2gb
    Nvidia GTX 295

I am Xtreme
    i want to see if this can be put outside of the case so it uses outside air, and dumps the heat outside aswell.

Xtreme Member
    Turns out CCL and Novatech have it as well circa £60......and they have stock too!

Where are the goddam reviews??

Xtreme Addict
    Turns out CCL and Novatech have it as well circa £60......and they have stock too!

Where are the goddam reviews??
    It's time for redbeard to start threatening reviewers
    SweClockers.com

I am Xtreme
    why cant people be this excited over any other air cooler weve seen in the last year? o cause this one will pwn

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast