Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible team partnership.....

XS WCG Hamster Herder

Possible team partnership.....

I'll start this out on the XS Stanford Folding team forum, and duplicate the thread on my "home", the WCG forum.

OK, I don't get out of my WCG cave very often, but I have had some revelations in the past couple of months. So, here I am....

When the forum crashed, I spent some time in the TPU XS refugee camp, here. It wasn't always pretty, but it didn't take us long to find out they had a WCG team trying to start up. Rammie and I brought our full farms over, as did others. We achieved the criteria for them to get a sub-forum, here. We knew we did a good thing by promoting the overall growth of this DC work we all do.

Since this was new to me and I was a folding noob, with a desire to get the WCG team going no matter what, I posted this in the WCG section. Link to original post here.

"Quote:Originally Posted by ShadowFold
    I think I will have my CPU boincing and my GPU folding"

My reply....
    "That is a recipe many at XS do. It works well. Crunching GPUGrid along with WCG, both on BOINC, also works but you have to watch what version you run on. It's a little trickier.

A thought for this team is to "cross-pollinate" with your folding team. Fold for them with your GPUs, and ask them to crunch WCG for your team.... A quick and easy way to boost both teams."

That's my basic idea here. With that in mind, I have moved three GTX 260-216s over to your XS folding team here. What I'm expecting in return is that some of you running the CPU(or SMP?) folding client cross those over to WCG. We have found that the WCG BOINC client is best at CPU utilization, and the folding GPU client is very efficient at folding for Stanford.

At TPU, they were very pleasantly surprised by the power boost both teams got from this cooperative effort. For me, I didn't realize just how much power I was bringing on by sticking six 260-216s on the rigs I previously ran $3 PCI old Virge GPUs on. I didn't need a good GPU to crunch with, but I added some to fold with.....WOW!

If this works out well, I have at least six more cards to add. Some of the machines have more than one x16 slot in them. I learned how to bring those up too, at TPU. And I will... My other PCIe slots are empty on my farm rigs.... I run a total of 16 quads on WCG. They all have decent boards and bigger PSUs than I need. I purposely bought the PSUs big in order to "think ahead".

I know a NUMBER of you already do this, crunch CPUs for WCG and GPUs for the folding team here. SparkyJJO comes to mind. A few of you I see all over the place when I post!! Kudos, you are in front of the "curve". You all said this multiple times, but it didn't sink in to formally make this a team partnership until lately. DUH, on me... I see no reason this couldn't take off. Let me know what you think....

Cross over our way if you have questions on setting up BOINC. "hotwaxisbad" has an excellent "how-to" guide for an easy setup. I'll help out any questions at WCG that come in about folding, as well as MANY others there, or we'll direct them to you folks here. Let's "cross-pollinate"!!

EDIT: Hot suggested I link the guide here. Great idea! Here it is... Is there an equivalent guide for setting up F@H? I'll link it here too, and on my post at the WCG team. :END EDIT

Sincere Regards,
    Bob
    A rehabilitated WCG cruncher.....
    Last edited by 123bob; 06-01-2009 at 07:27 AM.
    If You ain't Crunching, you ain't Xtreme enough. Go Here
    Help cure CANCER, MS, AIDS, and other diseases.
    ....and don't let your GPU sit there bored...Crunch or Fold on it!!
    Go Here, Or Here

Xtreme Cruncher
    I am following Bob around adding my 2 cents.

The Folding team is really kicking some butt with an average of 82 active members folding. Take a look at this. Look at number of active members and then compare to the other teams above and below Team XS. Now look at the averages on PPD. Impressive. A nice thing too is that you will climb fast.

I crunch on 10 AMD cores and fold on a 4850 and a GTX 260. It all works well together.

You are already Xtreme. Now be Xtreme^2!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Xtreme^2

Attack Dachshund
    2 Q6600's and 1 x4 810 on WCG.

1 GTX260 on GPUGRID

4 GTS250's on FAH.

stats and rigs are in my sig.

Back from the Dead
    Great idea bob!

Now I "Only" fold on my 4870X2 and 2 GTX 260-216's even though I naturally have a lot more slots available on my little farm,
    and it's not that I couldn't afford more GFX cards to fill them (heck, I got a few in stock too ), but I can't afford the power footprint really. Already close to my elec limit here, adding GPUs will totally kill it. For example, my i7 Wall node (if anyone remembers, gotta repost that thread) takes 190W BOINC headless, ie w/o GFX card. Right now it runs a GTX260-216 on GPUGrid, drawing 300W. If I add GPUs to all rigs I'm somewhere in the 3KW range, which I can't afford

Since WCG is my top priority I am gonna keep on concentrating on CPU power for now.
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Mr. Boardburner
    I'll toss in my GTX280 when I get my main rig back online.
    Main rig:
    CPU: I7 920C0 @ 3.6Ghz (180*20)
    Mobo: DFI UT X58 T3eH8
    RAM: 12GB OCZ DDR3-1600 Platinum
    GPU/LCD: GeForce GTX280 + GeForce 8600GTS (Quad LCDs)
    Intel X25-M G2 80GB, 12TB storage
    PSU/Case: Corsair AX850, Silverstone TJ07

version 2.0
    I'd love to fold on my GTX 260 , but the powerbills are already skyhigh here.

Back from the Dead
    Well if you've already got it Jaco.. difference between the card folding and idling is around 80W. Plus it's a real gold mine for BOINC points, one card does 6k BOINC (!) PPD on GPUGrid that's insane compared to our CPU farms.
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

_
    I'll start folding on my gpu if we get some F@H'ers joining here with their cpu's.
    Last edited by Angmaar; 06-01-2009 at 03:10 AM. Reason: there:their

of the Strawhat crew.
    I have my GTX 295 (well mostly just half of it) on gpugrid and my cpu on WCG. =]

XtremeSystems BF3 Platoon - Any XS member is welcome.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Awesome work Bob!

As we say over here you're a "Legend"!!!

I'll put my 4870x2 that doesnt get enough use onto folding again. I cant use it on GPUGRID so hadnt bothered! Shame on me!

See you over there guys!

XS WCG Hamster Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by emuexport View Post
    Awesome work Bob!

As we say over here you're a "Legend"!!!

I'll put my 4870x2 that doesnt get enough use onto folding again. I cant use it on GPUGRID so hadnt bothered! Shame on me!

See you over there guys!
    Thanks Emu!

To those that can't afford the power, I totally understand. Power is fairly cheap out here in the Pac NW (.05 US cents per KWH) so it's not too bad for me to do this. I'll take the kill-a-watt to a few rigs and compare headless to running a couple different cards. I'd like to know myself what the difference is....

Thanks and regards,
    Bob
    Go Here, Or Here

Back from the Dead
    5 US-cents? Dayum... I pay around 25 US-cents per KWH

XS WCG Hamster Herder
    I couldn't afford to run the farm I have at 25 cents per KWH....So yes, I totally understand.

How about this idea.....We get our respective governments to offer free power to crunchers. That would boost our membership...

Hey Jcool, do you know W1zz? I noticed he is from Stuttgart also. He's an XIP here and the owner of the TPU forum.

Regards,
    Bob
    Go Here, Or Here

Back from the Dead
    Quote Originally Posted by 123bob View Post
    I couldn't afford to run the farm I have at 25 cents per KWH....So yes, I totally understand.

How about this idea.....We get our respective governments to offer free power to crunchers. That would boost our membership...

Hey Jcool, do you know W1zz? I noticed he is from Stuttgart also. He's an XIP here and the owner of the TPU forum.

Regards,
    Bob
    No, not personally, tho I've heard of him (a little).
    Free power would be awesome... or even 5 cent per KWH, that is close to free

version 2.0
    I'd kill for 5 cent/KWH

Quote Originally Posted by hotwaxisbad View Post
    I'll start folding on my gpu if we get some F@H'ers joining here with their cpu's.
    A few of us already are
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Mr. Boardburner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaco View Post
    I'd kill for 5 cent/KWH
    Honestly, I'd do more than killing someone... €0,26/kWh here. Then again, the parents are paying it so I don't give a damn. Yet
    Main rig:

Back from the Dead
    Dayum that's even worse than here

Mr. Boardburner
    Quote Originally Posted by jcool View Post
    Dayum that's even worse than here
    I've got to add that we never EVER have brownouts or blackouts, though. Last blackout was 5 years ago (and only 20 minutes) and I've never needed a UPS.

Solar power is pretty interesting here. I believe it takes only 10 years before you start making profit.
    Main rig:

Back from the Dead
    Yeah, same here.. blackouts maybe every 2-3 years, usually less than 1 minute. Still I got my UPS just for style

Mr. Boardburner
    Quote Originally Posted by jcool View Post
    Yeah, same here.. blackouts maybe every 2-3 years, usually less than 1 minute. Still I got my UPS just for style
    I had the UPS 5 years ago, but I ditched it after the whole street walked to my home asking why I still had power and the whole village didn't. I felt like some kind of whizzkid LOL
    Main rig:

Power is usually ok here, though being out in a more rural area the trees can come down during a heavy storm and take out wires. That's always fun.. but we got a whole house generator now

Of course, once I get a job, get my own place, and all that, I won't have the generator anymore
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Wuf
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaco View Post
    I'd kill for 5 cent/KWH
    Just checked Fortums pricing around here: 5,84 c/kWh
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet
    [22:53:09] [@Jaco-XS] i'm gonna overclock this damn box!
    Ze gear:
    Main rig: W3520 + 12GB ddr3 + Gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev2.0! + HD7970 + HD6350 DMS59 + HX520 + 2x X25-E 32gig R0 + Bunch of HDDs.
    ESXI: Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 Node - 1x L5630 + 24GB ECC REG + Brocade 1020 10GbE
    ZFS Server: Supermicro 826E1 + Supermicro X8DAH+-F + 1x L5630 + 24GB ECC REG + 10x 3TB HDDs + Brocade 1020 10GbE
    Lappy!: Lenovo Thinkpad W500: T9600 + 8GB + FireGL v5700 + 128GB Samsung 830 + 320GB 2.5" in ze dvd slot + 1920x1200 @ 15.4"

Xtreme Cruncher
    I wish power was that cheap here too...but I am going into winter...so a little extra kW just helps to warm my house more

I will take a look at the FAh setup thing...might as well add all of my cards which have been doing nothing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast