ATE
    Cadence
    Chartered
    Freescale
    Infineon
    Magma
    Renesas
    SMIC
    TMC (Taiwan DRAM vendors Inotera, Nanya, Powerchip, ProMOS, Winbond)

and then they add that the following arent really much better off either:
    ASAT
    ASMC
    Asyst (Chapter 11)
    Axcelis
    Electroglas
    Elpida
    Hynix
    Lam
    Mattson
    Micron
    MIPS
    Novellus
    NXP
    Photronics
    Qimonda (Chapter 11)
    Spansion (Chapter 11)
    Sony
    UMC

wow... ive heard that all those companies were in trouble, but now seeing them in a list really makes me realize how troubled the semiconductor industry is and how much it will continue to consolidate...

its hard to think of semicon companies that arent in trouble...

Intel
    IBM
    Toshiba
    Samsung
    ARM

actually thats it... i cant think of anybody else? :S
    Last edited by saaya; 05-31-2009 at 10:12 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    its hard to think of semicon companies that arent in trouble...

Nvidia

actually thats it... i cant think of anybody else? :S
    Dude, are you serious?
    SweClockers.com

CPU: Phenom II X4 955BE
    Clock: 4200MHz 1.4375v
    Memory: Dominator GT 2x2GB 1600MHz 6-6-6-20 1.65v
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    GPU: HD 5770

NV is in serious legal trouble not that they will go bankrupt they have alot of cash on hand and contracts with heavy fees to not use their parts even though the oems know that the chipsets are defective they still have to take the shipments
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartidiot89 View Post
    Dude, are you serious?
    well, i thought of nvidia as in trouble tbh
    but so far they are holding up, they are much better off than most if not all companies on that list.

but your right, nvidia is in trouble too... delayed and cancelled products, tscm 40nm, no x86 license, no x86 partner company... no more chipsets... gpgpu not really kicking off... they arent in as much trouble right now as others but soon will be from the looks of it...

I am Xtreme
    No suprise, to find a lot of dram/flash manufacturers on that list.

Xtreme Mentor
    AMD n TMC don't seem in too much trouble in my eyes..

same with sony lol.... they just lost LOADS of money cos ps3 flopped ... hardly in trouble :/
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesrt2004 View Post
    AMD n TMC don't seem in too much trouble in my eyes..

same with sony lol.... they just lost LOADS of money cos ps3 flopped ... hardly in trouble :/
    TMC, not TSMC.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesrt2004 View Post
    AMD . . . .don't seem in too much trouble in my eyes..
    Have you missed every single one of their Profit & Loss statements for the last 18 months?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    read the link on the eetimes article in the amd paragraph... despite catpuring market share they lost 400million in q1 or something...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Boga View Post
    Have you missed every single one of their Profit & Loss statements for the last 18 months?
    read the link on the eetimes article in the amd paragraph... despite catpuring market share they lost 400million in q1 or something...
    ALOT due to the GlobalFoundries spin-off. AMD will continue to loose cash cause of GlobalFoundries for a while.
    SweClockers.com

CPU: Phenom II X4 955BE
    Clock: 4200MHz 1.4375v
    Memory: Dominator GT 2x2GB 1600MHz 6-6-6-20 1.65v
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    GPU: HD 5770

Xtreme Member
    I think AMD are banking on the fact that by capturing market share, they now have a bank of people on AM2 platforms. Using cheap chip pricing they are trying to ensure they will have customers for the next few years. Its a risky strategy and leads to short term losses, but really I think it is their only chance. The economy should pick up, looks like we have WW3 kicking up these days so that should be profitable.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    ww3? oh what, is cnn and bbc spinning the south korea OMGWEAREALLGONNADIEEEEE hype again?

well whats the point of luring people to am2, amd should try to get people onto am3 since thats the new platform, right?

Xtreme Mentor
    well, i thought of nvidia as in trouble tbh
    but so far they are holding up, they are much better off than most if not all companies on that list.

but your right, nvidia is in trouble too... delayed and cancelled products, tscm 40nm, no x86 license, no x86 partner company... no more chipsets... gpgpu not really kicking off... they arent in as much trouble right now as others but soon will be from the looks of it...
    Nvidia better stay afloat for the G300 release! I want one! Really I can't see them going down... and as for X86... I think they do have something up their sleeve.
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

Banned
    ALOT due to the GlobalFoundries spin-off. AMD will continue to loose cash cause of GlobalFoundries for a while.
    How or why is their efforts with GlobalFloundries the main reason for them losing money?

Xtreme Member
    I hope Photronics doesn't go under... All my masks come from them...
    |Core i5 2500K @ 4.6GHz|ASUS P8P67 Pro|8.0GB G.skill DDR3 1600|MSI GTX 260|
    |OCZ Vertex SSD|HP LP2465 24" LCD|Antec P182|Seasonic X750 PSU|H2O Cooling|Windows 7 x64|

|Core 2 Duo E6420|Asus P5K-VM|4.0GB DDR2|AMD Radeon 3450|Antec Fusion V2|Westinghouse 42" 1080P LCD|

|ThinkPad X61 Tablet|Core 2 Duo L7500|4.0GB DDR2|OCZ Vertex SSD|Windows 7|

Audio: EMU 0404->Onkyo TX-SR500 ->Polk LSi7's + Velodyne VX10

Xtreme Addict
    Dude, most of the semiconductor companies on that secondary list are Dram manufacturers... which isnt surprising considering how badly they raped themselves with that DDR2 Glut.
    Last edited by Russian; 05-31-2009 at 06:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Xtreme Member
    Intel..............
    Samsung........
    Toshiba.......... (HD-DVD )
    IBM...............

AMD........
    Sony............
    Freescale.....
    Infineon.......
    MIPS............
    Qimonda......
    Elpida..........
    Hynix...........
    UMC.............
    Chartered.....
    Spansion......

Micron..

XmX

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Never thought that candence could be in that list :S

You missed ARM Sascha

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by XmikeX View Post
    Micron..

XmX
    yeah, i feel the same... micron has been losing money for years and years, yet they have some of the best and at times THE best dram available... i still dont get how those two things can happen at the same time... how can you have the best product available and lose money big time?

Quote Originally Posted by metro.cl View Post
    Never thought that candence could be in that list :S
    You missed ARM Sascha
    what exactly does candence do actually?
    you mean arm as in doing good right? yeah good point, ill add them

i thought that qibmonda and infineon were the same company, did something funny happen
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    I thought AMD's fabs, were part of the reason they were losing so much money? I thought getting rid of them were key to reducing costs and being profitable again.

Quote Originally Posted by vinister View Post
    I think AMD are banking on the fact that by capturing market share, they now have a bank of people on AM2 platforms. Using cheap chip pricing they are trying to ensure they will have customers for the next few years. Its a risky strategy and leads to short term losses, but really I think it is their only chance. The economy should pick up, looks like we have WW3 kicking up these days so that should be profitable.
    They didn't pick up as much marketshare, as people are simply not buying as much computers.

Phenom II has yet to touch the laptop/netbook market, which was at 50%+.

Not only that AMD doesn't have any new technology coming out for the next year or something to challenge core i5.

The effect of core i5, is that its going to reduce the margins of AMD further when they have to drop pricing to compete. That might mean AMD selling chips at a loss depending how diverse the core i5 line up is.

No one wants AMD gone but the future looks bleak, because there doesn't seem to be an end in sight. Bulldozer is 2011. That a really long time.

If larrabee turns into a smash, not only will Nvidia be the one feeling the pain, so will AMD.

Atleast NV has a chance, because the future of larrabee in unsure at this point, however, AMD is facing core i5 in the CPU mainstream market, core i7 in the server market, it has nothing in the mobile market. We are sure of the performance of both of these.

And both Nvidia and Intel in the graphic market.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    They didn't pick up as much marketshare, as people are simply not buying as much computers.

Phenom II has yet to touch the laptop/netbook market, which was at 50%+.

Not only that AMD doesn't have any new technology coming out for the next year or something to challenge core i5.

The effect of core i5, is that its going to reduce the margins of AMD further when they have to drop pricing to compete. That might mean AMD selling chips at a loss depending how diverse the core i5 line up is.

No one wants AMD gone but the future looks bleak, because there doesn't seem to be an end in sight. Bulldozer is 2011. That a really long time.

If larrabee turns into a smash, not only will Nvidia be the one feeling the pain, so will AMD.

Atleast NV has a chance, because the future of larrabee in unsure at this point, however, AMD is facing core i5 in the CPU mainstream market, core i7 in the server market, it has nothing in the mobile market. We are sure of the performance of both of these.

And both Nvidia and Intel in the graphic market.
    People have been saying AMD is going to die since Core 2 came out and stomped A64. Phenom II is doing wonders for AMD comparatively and soon they'll be launching a new line of server chips based on 6 cores. If these chips trickle into mainstream then they'll actively compete with Core i7/i5.

Nvidia is in the worst position of them all. Intel will be integrating GPUs onto their processors, AMD will be doing the same, which leaves Nvidia to fight in the tiny discrete market and the growing mobile devices market. Unless Nvidia can create an x86 processor and embed their GPU solutions into it, they are screwed for mainstream/portable.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    soon they'll be launching a new line of server chips based on 6 cores. If these chips trickle into mainstream then they'll actively compete with Core i7/i5.
    No they won't.

For the regular desktop user, a lower clocked HexCore will offer less than a higher clocked QuadCore and the Hex will be dearer as well.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    yeah, i feel the same... micron has been losing money for years and years, yet they have some of the best and at times THE best dram available... i still dont get how those two things can happen at the same time... how can you have the best product available and lose money big time?

what exactly does candence do actually?
    you mean arm as in doing good right? yeah good point, ill add them
    Candence is a player in the EDA market of the semiconductors, they work on making software to optimize production of chips in many many ways.

Transistors layout, manufacturing improvements etc...

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    People have been saying AMD is going to die since Core 2 came out and stomped A64. Phenom II is doing wonders for AMD comparatively and soon they'll be launching a new line of server chips based on 6 cores. If these chips trickle into mainstream then they'll actively compete with Core i7/i5.

Nvidia is in the worst position of them all. Intel will be integrating GPUs onto their processors, AMD will be doing the same, which leaves Nvidia to fight in the tiny discrete market and the growing mobile devices market. Unless Nvidia can create an x86 processor and embed their GPU solutions into it, they are screwed for mainstream/portable.
    Well AMD has stretched all of the posibilities to stay alive, no one else has done that as extreme as AMD.

They have a ton of convertible debt in stocks that will be due in a couple of years and they can't repay so AMD's stock will take a huge hit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast