Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HWLabs Black Ice GTX 560 reviewed

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by tool_462 View Post
    My thoughts exactly.
    Pardon me, I meant HWLabs. If only they could have made the end tanks 2mm smaller on each end... I see 602mm of front panel real estate in the Pinnacle with non-precision measuring instruments.

--Matt
    My Rig :
    Core i5 4570S - ASUS Z87I-DELUXE - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 - 256GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Naekuh is right and closer to 6 months.
    It is a measured 23.81"x6"x2"
    It will not fit in any case that I've found EXCEPT the MM new tower( Ascention24? or is it Pinnacle24) and that it will fit in under the top but just and you'd need to have the top custom drilled for it.
    I mentioned this to Ben at MM and he says he can do a top for it.
    The other is one Darthbeavis mentioned, an acrylic case from Danger Den but I hate acrylic..
    When I hit the lottery I'll pick up the MM case and finally be able to use this.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Member
    A guy over at OCN had Danger Den custom laser a case for him to hold this rad, its pretty cool. Heres the worklog with pics if anyone's interested.
    http://www.overclock.net/case-mod-wo...completed.html

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks for the comments, everyone.

The way I see it, this radiator is definitely not meant for internal use inside a case. I guess external rads aren't a big thing with you guys?
    One thing I mentioned in the conclusion in the german article is that I think HWLabs should include a set of stand-offs so you can mount the rad to a wall or a set of feet so it can safely stand upright or something like that. I guess a radiator this size was made "because we can" more than anything else.

BTW: I measured 15,5 x 5,3 x 60,7 cm, what ever that converts to in inches.

I'm already testing some more "oversized" rads to add to this comparison, so stay tuned.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Someone pointed out that I had made a pretty stupid mistake: I had the first two C/W graphs switched...
    They are in the correct order now.

Xtreme Member
    It would have been nice to test it against a monsta or other 140mm fan radiators, nice review though. Some feet would be nice, but if it was external it would ruin the look inside the case.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterStoba View Post
    It would have been nice to test it against a monsta or other 140mm fan radiators, nice review though. Some feet would be nice, but if it was external it would ruin the look inside the case.
    The only issue is there aint really other 140mm rads out there yet, sounds like Thermochill should have one out soonish

Btw do the high FPI have any impact on how the flow is inside the rad (Does the tubing inside have to be smaller?) just wonder why its so restrictive compared to RX, PA and TFC as its almost as thick, I know it aint a problem, but would be nice if it was just a freeflow rad
    Last edited by Mech0z; 05-31-2009 at 02:43 AM.
    Desktop I5-3570k, 8GB Ram, GTX 560, Silverstone TJ08-E, Crucial M4 128GB, 750W Silver Power, ASUS P8Z77-M
    Laptop ThinkPad W520 2720QM /2 x 4 GB ram / Quadro 1000M / Crucial M4 128GB + 500Gb Hdd / FHD Screen / Intel WiFi Link 6300 AGN WLAN / 9 Cell Battery
    Laptop 2 New Macbook Pro Retina / i7 QuadCore / 650 GT / 16GB Ram / 512 GB SSD
    Server: Athlon II X4 640, ASROCK K10N78, 8GB Ram, LSI MegaRaid 8 port, 64GB Vertex 1, 5 x 1 TB WD Raid6, 3 x 3TB Seagate Raid5

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I updated the first post with a data sheet. Please read the note below it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mech0z View Post
    The only issue is there aint really other 140mm rads out there yet, sounds like Thermochill should have one out soonish

Btw do the high FPI have any impact on how the flow is inside the rad (Does the tubing inside have to be smaller?) just wonder why its so restrictive compared to RX, PA and TFC as its almost as thick, I know it aint a problem, but would be nice if it was just a freeflow rad
    More 140-rads coming up soon.

I don't think the tubes in the radiator need to be smaller for higher FPI but it makes sense that they would be. After all, thicker tubes take up more space that then cannot be used for fins.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I want one of these... but absolutely no room anywhere.... if only it fit in the bottom of the tj07

imagine 2 of these internal :P:

maybe I could make a rad box... although that detracts from the simplicity of just one case for everything

Xtreme Member
    if i remember well, there is a thread started by movieman, regarding how to fit a 560 inside a lian li V2000 (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=212025). the solution mentioned there was pretty good imo.
    | Classified 759 | W3580@4.2GHz | Dominator GT@2000MHz | 285GTX FTW@750MHz | 1.6Kw Ultra X3 | HP LP3065 |

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HESmelaugh View Post
    I updated the first post with a data sheet. Please read the note below it as well.

More 140-rads coming up soon.

I don't think the tubes in the radiator need to be smaller for higher FPI but it makes sense that they would be. After all, thicker tubes take up more space that then cannot be used for fins.

THANKS HES!!!
    WAITING FOR SOMETHING...
    FULL LIQUID BY YBRIS
    Ybris A.C.S. FULL CHROME Limited Edition N°058 | Ybris A.C.S.-G FULL CHROME Limited Edition N°058 | SANSO PDH-054 12V A.F. | Feser Xchanger Q.R. 480 with Feser Xtender blue\Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000rpm | Tecnofront Bay Trap | Tygon R-3606 3\8" 1\2"

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Mech0z View Post

they use smaller tubes not because of the FPI but because it reduces laminar flow inside the tubes and I believe the tubes are thinner.

martin illustrates this nicely

Core
    Core i7 920
    eVGA X58 LE SLi
    2x3GB Mushkin DDR3-1600
    BFG 8800GT OC
    Seagate 7200.12 1TB + Maxtor 320GB
    LianLi A05B

Cooling (all internal)
    2x BI GTS 360
    2x DDC3.2 + Ek top
    EK Supreme LT

Xtreme Mentor
    How about you take a few of them and slap them together side by side, then use some MB standoffs and attach your MB directly to them. You could then mount the pump and res directly to them on one of the fans and there you go, a new case, no cutting needed.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Nerdy Powerlifter
    I'd love to see the rad mounted to the back of this guy:

Seems like it might actually work "fit" properly on the back. Too bad the damn case is $600.
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I thought the $400 dollars I spent on my case was bad....
    (New build):MSI Big Bang X-power II with XSPC MB blocks, Core I7 3930k@4.6Ghz with HT on, 3x GTX 480 SLI with EK Waterblocks(for now), X-fi Titanium, Gskill quad kit 16GB 2133mhz, 2x240GB Corsair GT SSD's(raid 0), 3xWD 2TB drives, Silverstone Strider ST1500 Watt, Dell3007WFP and 2x Samsung 305T's. Water loop: EK HF CPU block, XSPC RX480 Rad, Coolgate GC480, Airplex Revolution 420 Rad, 2x DDC 3.25 18W with EK dual top, Caselabs STH10 white with customizations....

Xtreme Addict
    wow... LiLi is also on crack...
    "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands in times challenge and controversy."
    Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

DIY: Self Clinching Nuts

Canon EOS 7D | Tokina 12-24mm f/4 | Canon EF 24-105 f/4 L | Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS Mk II | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4 L | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6 L | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4-5.6 L

Xtreme Member
    I could see a use for this. Whenever i finally get out of this apartment and into my own house, hopefully it'll have a basement window that i can stuff 2 of these into

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Corrective Update: I found a tiny rounding error in my spreadsheets and corrected it. I uploaded the new datasheet in the first post. The C/W values have changed but only very marginally. There's no visible difference to the graphs but I just wanted to correct this error for completions' sake.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Synthetickiller View Post
    I'd love to see the rad mounted to the back of this guy.
    damn I never even thought of that, thanks man

The new Corsair case should fit them

relocate the PSU to the top, strip out the bottom area and mount two of these babies back to back

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by b@llz0r View Post
    The new Corsair case should fit them
    Wow, that's a sweet looking case.

Nice test.

How would the GTX560 compare against the TFC480.

Are we looking at roughly 30-35% better performance based on 1500 rpm fans?
    Last edited by Economist; 06-03-2009 at 04:24 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    Wow, that's a sweet looking case.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Economist View Post
    Nice test.

How would the GTX560 compare against the TFC480.

Are we looking at roughly 30-35% better performance based on 1500 rpm fans?
    I have no idea. I don't know if my testing is similar enough to Martin's and accurate enough for a C/W comparison. If I'm not mistaken, he did extensive testing on the TFC 480.
    Of course, I'd love to get my hands on a TFC 480 for testing, but so far I have not had any luck trying to get samples from TFC... or even buying one of their rads. No one in Switzerland sells them and someone I tried to get one second hand from conned me.

But I have a nice little surprise coming up soon.

Xtreme Addict
    is there a way or a need to try to "standardize" the tests?
    i know you've been doing great work... so has Martinm and Skinnee... just think it would be great to cross-reference with ease, in nub language...
    "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands in times challenge and controversy."
    Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

DIY: Self Clinching Nuts

Canon EOS 7D | Tokina 12-24mm f/4 | Canon EF 24-105 f/4 L | Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS Mk II | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4 L | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6 L | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4-5.6 L

Quote Originally Posted by HESmelaugh View Post
    Indeed.

I have no idea. I don't know if my testing is similar enough to Martin's and accurate enough for a C/W comparison. If I'm not mistaken, he did extensive testing on the TFC 480.
    Of course, I'd love to get my hands on a TFC 480 for testing, but so far I have not had any luck trying to get samples from TFC... or even buying one of their rads. No one in Switzerland sells them and someone I tried to get one second hand from conned me.

But I have a nice little surprise coming up soon.
    No problem.
    I can up with the performance gain using Andrea spreadsheet and cross referencing your results. Sort of back of the envelope stuff. But nothing beats real world testing. Look forward to the surprise test.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    does the corsair case fit one of those internally?

that would be damn sexy....

might replace... tj07...

nope never happening until mobos themselves grow out of the tj07

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast