Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HWLabs Black Ice GTX 560 reviewed

Xtreme Enthusiast

HWLabs Black Ice GTX 560 reviewed

Largest radiator I've tested so far...

Here's a pic comparing it to the XSPC RX360, a radiator that seemed quite large when I first got it but now... well, see for yourself:

This radiator was kindly provided by Caseking, Germany.

Testing Method

Since my last radiator reviews, I've changed my testing setup and method. I got some valuable input from Skinnee, AndreaBZ and many others on how to tweak and improve the testing.

What changed?
    - New fans: I'm now using Scythe Kama Flex 1900 (120mm) and Sharkoon System Fan Power (140mm). I switched to the Kama Flex because they are simply better than the ones I had previously and I switched to the Sharkoons because the Spire fans I used before were no longer available and for this test, I needed a lot of 140mm fans.
    The Sharkoon fans are rated at 85 CFM @ 1500rpm but this is in open air, so I guess it's pretty much irrelevant when it comes to radiator testing.
    - Better control over heat load: I have the heaters connected to a watt-meter and I manually record the wattage every five minutes.
    - C/W curves: Since I now have a better idea of the actual heat loads during each test run, I adjust for the differences. The easiest way to do this is to calculate C/W curves, showing the water-ambient temperature difference per Watt of heat applied.
    - More temp-sensors: I am now using three temp sensors on either side of the radiator, measuring the air in as well as air out temperatures.
    - Recalibrated: All of my sensors were recalibrated, which was necessary after changing the sensor-arrangement.

Test-loop
    - Laing DDC (MCP355) with EK X-Res
    - 2x Inline heaters
    - 4x Water-temp sensors
    - 6x Air-temp sensors
    - GMR flowmeter
    - T-Balancer bigNG and Sensorhub for monitoring and logging temperatures amd flowrates

Each test run lasts 35 minutes, 25 minutes are warm up and the data from the last 10 minutes is all averaged out.
    I don't control flowrates. The pump is always going at 12V and flow is as high as it can be in the loop. Just like the CPU blocks are tested with different flowrates due to differences in restrictiveness, I'm also testing radiators at "their own" flowrates, depending solely on their restrictiveness.
    I do compare radiators of the 120-mm-format with those of 140-mm-format, even though such a comparison can never be 100% fair. The rads are being tested with different fans and (deliberately) different fan-speeds. Still, we want to know how a 560 does against our favourite 360, right? Just keep in mind that the comparison can only be seen as a rough guide and different fans would (and do) lead to different results.

Compared radiators

Having changed the test setup, I needed to retest the radiators, of course. Unfortunately, most of the radiators from my previous roundup are no longer here for testing. I retested what radiators I coul, but it was enough to cover the main cornerstones, which are:
    - XSPC RX360 - Best 360 for low-speed fans.
    - Black Ice 360 - Best 360 for high-speed, high-pressure fans.
    - Magicool Slim 360 - Solid budget 360. Basically this one marks the low-end.
    - Black Ice 420 - This was also retested and it's interesting to see the differences in performance due to the different fans use since the first test.

Now for the results:

Flow

No real surprise here. In terms of restrictiveness, the GTX 560 pretty much marks the middle ground among the rads in this comparison.

C/W, single row of fans, push

C/W, double fan rows, push-pull

Not surprisingly due to it's sheer size, the GTX 560 is way ahead of the crowd in these comparisons.

Here are all of the curves, single fan row and double fan rows (DF) together in one, slightly chaotic graph:

Here we see that even with one row of fans in push, the GTX 560 can stay ahead of contenders with fans in push-pull. On the other hand, a push-pull RX360 is actually slightly better than a GTX 560 in push at low fan speeds.
    It's also interesting to see some of the other relations between different rads and fan-configs in this graph.

Data

IMPORTANT NOTE: Because the radiators are placed vertically on my test-bench (fans blowing horizontally), I'm not getting accurate Air out readings. I moved the sensors to a better spot after the first few runs but it still seems a bit off. I grayed out the Air out and Air capacity values becuase I suspect they are wrong. If you look at the data from the GTX 280 (original sensor placement) you can see that it just can't be right. Look at the data from the RX360 (new sensor placement) and the values make more sense, but I'm still not sure if they are correct.
    Ambient temps are in a range of 4° (+/-2°) and Heat load in a range of 12.6 W (+/-6.3 W). That's not great, but I can't do anything about either.

For now, that's all. Hope you enjoyed the read.

Special thanks to Skinnee for providing samples of how he collects and compiles data.
    The original, german article can be found here on DeXgo.com.

Cheers,
    Shane

Xtreme Member
    Really really interesting!!

Nice resting.
    920 c0
    6gig Mushkin 1600 6-7-6-18 (Many thanks to TheGoatEater)
    285gtx
    Dfi x58 t3eh6

Xtreme Member
    not surprisingly a very good radiator. it's just huge!

one day i foresee a full tower radiator-in-a-case... perhaps ultra-performance delta of 0-1°C with 1000W?

Chasing After Diety
    nice... however that rad is just too big to be practical. another product which was born from this forum on pure greed and no application.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks, HESmelaugh! Nice to see the 280 doing so well against the 360.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    nice... however that rad is just too big to be practical. another product which was born from this forum on pure greed and no application.
    Pretty sure Hondacity would love to have 4 of these
    Sig is under construction

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    Thanks, HESmelaugh! Nice to see the 280 doing so well against the 360.
    After modelling and designing my custom case and several parts to go into it...

In my honest oipinion the GTX 280 is the best performance/practical size radiator on the market.

you can fit 2 of these rad into a tiny case and have 3 x 120 performance or when more advanced 140mm fan becomes availiable maybe even better than 3 x 120 performance.

Mark my words this is gonn abe the goto rad for SFF guys, or HTPC.

Xtreme Member
    can it fit in a tj07?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Awesome work, that had to take a ton of time, very nice!!

Banned
    Wow, great performing rad.

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by dubtown View Post
    can it fit in a tj07?
    no

its longer then the monsta by more then 140mm.

Banned
    It won't fit anywhere =p.

Xtreme Addict
    Think it could fit on the side or top of my V2110 if I wanted, and then just have the inlet/outlet be over the edge (which would give 2 cm) I could have 3 mounted on the side (Wtb money and GT 140mm fans!)
    Desktop I5-3570k, 8GB Ram, GTX 560, Silverstone TJ08-E, Crucial M4 128GB, 750W Silver Power, ASUS P8Z77-M
    Laptop ThinkPad W520 2720QM /2 x 4 GB ram / Quadro 1000M / Crucial M4 128GB + 500Gb Hdd / FHD Screen / Intel WiFi Link 6300 AGN WLAN / 9 Cell Battery
    Laptop 2 New Macbook Pro Retina / i7 QuadCore / 650 GT / 16GB Ram / 512 GB SSD
    Server: Athlon II X4 640, ASROCK K10N78, 8GB Ram, LSI MegaRaid 8 port, 64GB Vertex 1, 5 x 1 TB WD Raid6, 3 x 3TB Seagate Raid5

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by MomijiTMO View Post
    It won't fit anywhere =p.
    which is my whole point.

it was conceived by bastards of greed without any inclination on application.

Guys dave has had this radiator for almost 4 months now, and its been sitting on his desk because he has no way to fit it.

This rad is straight custom case or bench station application only. There is no case out there, not even the ascension that could take this rad naively.

Quote Originally Posted by Mech0z View Post
    Think it could fit on the side or top of my V2110 if I wanted, and then just have the inlet/outlet be over the edge (which would give 2 cm) I could have 3 mounted on the side (Wtb money and GT 140mm fans!)
    Fail.. dave has tried on a Goliath series already, and no the rad is longer then the case sideways and standing up.

You need to be more open-minded, NaeKuh. A couple of these rads could be a nice centerpiece for a glass-covered coffee table build ...

Xtreme Member
    you could always mount it out back with a custom rad box. but i agree, ridiculously ginormous.

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    You need to be more open-minded, NaeKuh. A couple of these rads could be a nice centerpiece for a glass-covered coffee table build ...

LOL... if you had 4 they could be the LEGS of your coffee table. oh wait.. make that dinner table.

Banned
    Naekuh I think the same way about ANY quad. They just don't fit in the majority of cases bar TJ07 and MM cases, none of which I have or will ever buy.

I didn't see anyone saying the same about the MORA. . ..

This stuff isn't meant to be for internal wc's.

[I'll stick with my ants. . . 320s ftw]

Xtreme Member
    Nice review but does seem alittle pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8988 View Post
    Nice review but does seem alittle pointless.
    The radiator might be pointless, but the review is interesting . Always nice to see how these things scale.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by anzial View Post
    Pretty sure Hondacity would love to have 4 of these
    hahahahah

Xtreme Addict
    If my machine wasn't always being moved I'd just set up a custom built "waterlog" box with 2 of these. I can't believe you guys are complaining about it not fitting, no1 is making you buy it. That's the one thing that detracts from cases like MM, people just buy the stuff bolt on the parts and tada its done. I get alot more satisfaction when I have to cut and mod something to put it all in or even on the outside, yeah I can't cut with waterjet or laser precision but it brings a feeling of "yeah I made it". I loved my 1st wc setup which was in an old antec case with a HC outside really was proud of it, since I made it with an ancient drill 2 plastic clamps and alot of blood and sweat, my current TJ09 setup is sleek and nice but I don't feel the same way it was just bolted together and soon to be replaced by something cheaper but something I'll appreciate more IMO since I'm going to put alot of work into it. I can see shoving this monster into one of the larger LL towers like PC7 and the rad is about 2cm to long so I would cut a hole and stick out the end tank outside the back where you can't really see it and have the tubes run out there.

Core
    Core i7 920
    eVGA X58 LE SLi
    2x3GB Mushkin DDR3-1600
    BFG 8800GT OC
    Seagate 7200.12 1TB + Maxtor 320GB
    LianLi A05B

Cooling (all internal)
    2x BI GTS 360
    2x DDC3.2 + Ek top
    EK Supreme LT

Xtreme Addict
    It's too bad the pinnacle 24 is a few mm too short to fit this in the front panel. Is XSPC's height measurement on it accurate?

--Matt
    My Rig :
    Core i5 4570S - ASUS Z87I-DELUXE - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 - 256GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    The radiator might be pointless, but the review is interesting . Always nice to see how these things scale.
    Lol ya i didnt mean the review was pointless.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkosem View Post
    It's too bad the pinnacle 24 is a few mm too short to fit this in the front panel. Is XSPC's height measurement on it accurate?

--Matt
    My thoughts exactly.
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz+ 8GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 6 Asus P8P67 Pro CrossFire 6970's @ 950/1450
    Xeon X5677 @ 4.5Ghz 6GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 7 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 4870x2
    i7-880 @ 4.2Ghz+ (still playing) 4GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @2300Mhz CAS 9 Asus Maximus III Formula MSI Hawk 5770

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast