Thread: Athlon II (Regor) In the house!

Threaded View

Xtreme Addict

Athlon II (Regor) In the house! - UPDATED -Underclking+Power consump

** UPDATED AGAN with UNderclocking an Power consumption.- see below**

Picked one up a Athlong II X2 250 today.

Doing a full review on the chip atm that i'm going to post on another site,

I'll post direct Windsor K8 CLOCK to CLOCK comparisons for us curious folk, as well (will be the FIRST time we can actually do an apples to apples comparo of the two Uarchs [K8 vs K10] without differing cache structures) so i'm looking fwd to getting into that (nerd)

Anyway thought I'd post some stocko performance, and info for now :

Specs.

TDP: 65w (vs 80w for the PHII X2's)
    Stk clock 3.0Ghz
    Stk Vcore 1.35v
    Cache: 2x 1MB L2 no L3
    NB clock: 2000Mhz

Thoughts:

* New 65w Heatsink is TINY.. pic's coming when I find my god damn card reader.

* Despite, runs very cool @ stock. with Fan speed increase minimal at full load

*Super pi performance appears about on par with or slightly faster than old Agena.. not sure about the others.

***CPU-Z needs an update Mr CPU-Z man (can't remember his nick )

EDIT.. Added Die Shot's

Estimated Die Size ~110mm2

UPDATED:

out of box stock/stock comparison with its predecassesors..

Note, NOT ane exact uARCH comparison, that will be RE-Run at 2.8ghz +2.8ghz sync NB

Motherboard:
    Gigabyte GA-MA770-US3
    RAM:
    2x1GB Crucial Ballistix @ DDR2-800 5-5-5-18
    Video: ATI HD4890 OC @ 950/1020

HDD: SEagate 320GB 7200.1
    PSU: Seasonic 550w

UPDATED..

K8 vs K10 comparison.

OK, so the purpose of this is to finally take a look at what core level improvments were made in the evolution from K8 to K10. Since barcelona we've had a different Cache hierarchy (wiht 2MB + of L3 cache), and independtently clocked northbridge.

Fot this test I've matched the two CPU's clock speeds, and memory speeds to (finally) bring a comparison between the two.

Of note though is the following:

this uARCh is unofficially known as K10.5. In this revamp of the core, certain applications, most evident in POV RAY gained substantial extra performance since Phenom 1 /Barcelona, so this is obviously included in the results.

secondly. the K8 runs only Ganged memory mode. This CPU or even the MOBO for whatever reason is unable to run in ganged mode, so all tests had to be run in Unganged.

apart from that though, i've done my very best to match everything else. CPU's were swapped over and all RAM timings and clock speeds verified 100%. As follows:

CPUs:

AMD X2 6400+ Stepping F3. downclocked
    AMD Athlon II X2 250 C2. Downclocked.

* Clockspeed 200 x 14 (2800Mhz
    * NB speed (K10) 200x14 (2800Mhz)
    * DDR2: 400Mhz (standard divider for the K8, 1:2 multi for K10)
    - timings 4-4-4-15 2T. With identical subtimings.

Hypertransport: stock for K8. downclocked to 5x (1000Mhz) for Regor.

All settings verified in CPU-Z (i forgot to take regor's ss, will post later)

RESULTS:

Here I've split the % advantage Averages into catagories.. my reasoning as follows:

1st Average: no weighting of results. A plain average.

2nd Average: Mandrelbot removed from the avg..

Mandelbot benchmarks have recieved a massive increase in performance with K10. It may be just SSE enhancments, but it's a huge improvment. As its no indicative of overall performance i've classed it as a very large bottleneck improvment, or optimisation.

3rd average:

There are several other benchmarks that gained a huge boost from K10 . It's perfectly valid to keep these results in the average, however the majoirty of benchmarks show lesser improvements. I've made the cutoff at 30%. this is purely to segregate legacy/ commonplace code improvements.

Please Discuss!

UPDATE: UNDERCLOCKING AND POWER CONSUMPTION

Notes etc:

Power measured @ the wall. PSU is a 550w S12+ with PFC, so power readings should be reasonably accurate..

NO CPU reading taken as a reference, obviously it's not to be taken TOO seriously as the memory, chipset at the least will probably be in a lower power state with no CPU, but it at least gives a worst case idea.

Last edited by mAJORD; 06-08-2009 at 04:29 AM. Reason: updated with k8 vs k10 apples to apples comparison