Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hot hot hot! The new CPU AMD can be unlocked to 4 core!

Xtreme Member
    Not again..... lol now I just gotta wait for the PhII single cores....... jking of course
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbylite View Post
    with great MHZ comes great responsibility
    CPU:Q6600 G0 @ 3.825
    Motherboard:Asus P5E X38
    Memory:2x2GB OCZ Reapers DDR2 1066
    Graphics Card:Asus 4850
    Hard Drive:2xSegate 500gb 32MB Cache raid0
    Power Supply:Xion 800W
    Case:3DAurora
    CPU cooling: D-tek Fuzion V2 (Quad insert removed)
    GPU cooling: mcw60
    Monitor:24" LG

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by trueg50 View Post
    Yea, exactly.

If the chip is so bad that 2 cores are faulty/not up to spec, wouldn't the chances of it being exceedingly unstable with +2 cores be quite high?
    It may be that the 2 cores are truly defect in some way.But looking at the X3 Phenom IIs,there is a solid chance the cores are just not up to spec(OCs on these "unlocked" X4s are indeed generaly lower than on normal X4s though).

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Boga View Post
    Oh that is real credible considering your posting history.
    Fail comment .Move along

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    You didn't understand one important bit when it comes to "tuned for performance".If a die fails to meet the targets and was made on the wafer with before mentioned optimization,it will fail either as high TDP part or a low EE part.AMD does have certain TDP segments and it can't go beyond them due to design constraints on the motherboard level.
    They had that fiasco with some boards in the Phenom I days, IIRC, that some mobos didn't like 140W Phenoms.
    I think the situation is different now - considering how cool most PhIIs run, the cores would have to be so f***ing bad not be able to meet 125W, which I doubt is the case.
    We'll see if this holds any ground though when we get some temps from the DC<->QC chips.
    P5E64_Evo/QX9650, 4x X25-E SSD - gimme speed..
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_SmartAss View Post
    Lately there has been a lot of BS(Dave_Graham where are you?)

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    Read my previous post to see why AMD is not losing money on this chip.
    I read it, I agree with the reasoning behind why they turn quads into duals but I don't agree with the financial aspect for the simple reason that AMD have posted quarterly losses for 2 to 3 years.

If AMD had a product or range of products that were making them a healthy profit margin then maybe just maybe they could still turn a profit on a defective quad to dual however there is no indications of that at all thus I believe they are simply making less of a loss.
    Hiper HPU-4M880, Q6600@3.6Ghz 1.5V, Abit IP35-E, 2x2GB OCZ Dominator PC8500, [COLOR="Blue"]XFX 6950Watercooled

Xtreme Member
    This is very cool, especially if you're an enthusiast.
    Quote Originally Posted by G0ldBr1ck View Post
    The origonal spirit of overclocking was to buy cheaper hardware and tweak it to perform as good as higher end more expensive hardware. Phenom 2 fits perfectly for this task.
    so many people seem to have forgotten this.

Xtreme Member
    But there is definetely a smaller o/c on average against an x4 cpu...
    For example my friend's 720be does max 3.6 @ 4 cores, while @ 3 it reaches easily 3.8-9....
    And what we also experienced is that it needed a big bump in nb voltage(1.45v) to be stable @ 3.6 + the no temp readings...
    So, u pay what u get with an interesting bonus , but seriously, it ain't as good as a proper x4...
    Cpu:Phenom ΙΙ 965 c3 @ 4.1Ghz/2.8nb (air cooled)
    Mobo: Asus M3a79-T Deluxe
    Ram:A-data 2x2 800+ @ 1000
    Gpu:Asus Hd4850 512mb @ 700/1050(sycthe Musashi)
    Hdd:500gb Seagate 7200.11
    Psu:Corsair Hx620
    Cooling: TRue(dual fan)
    Case: Coolermaster Haf 932...

Heck, this makes a better quad than either my 945 or 955.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

I am Xtreme
    it could be they want to sell cheap cpus to make some money on the motherboards. get people into their platform and keep them there.

Xtreme Member
    what proc is this?! what mobo does it unlock on?! and when can i get it?!

Xtreme Addict
    I smell here a big opportunities for dishonest computer sellers...

Xtreme Addict
    I thought AMD changed the cores after the X3-to-X4 unlock became popular and that it doesn't work on those newer than 0904? Someone please help me out?

I'd guess it's the 550 BE given the unlocked multiplier. Currently at €98, after launch on tuesday it will probably drop more. X2 250 at €90. Look here

550 BE also here, €94

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by kl0012 View Post
    dingdingding, same thing happend with the old pentiums where the multis still where open.

Thought i think when such thing ever happens they most likely will surface in asia.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by kl0012 View Post
    They need SB710 or SB750 for that, plus the right BIOS. It will cost more than the average low end board, especially if there's no budget SB710 board that can do it.

Banned
    that is pretty cool, i going to get one for my cousin then cheap and is a quad

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I tihnk this is great news
    And ofcourse, by making their duals/tris/quads from exactly the same wafer/process will only mean that all of the products will mature more quickly, and surely the overclockability etc of them will all improve more quickly?
    I think this is great for AMD, bring more people to go with them now, and then hopefully stay.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by alfaunits View Post
    This is BS (as an idea I mean). It would be better of being sold as 150W QC than a DC of any kind.
    Of course, but even better is selling something at all and the market for quadcores is still rather small, while cheap dualcores still sell in recordnumbers, in short, they are better off selling them as x2 rather than piling up a mountain of x4s.

Xtreme Addict
    I don't think AMD can even make enough X4s to match the demand.. even then they'd be better off selling it as the lowest grade quad core Opteron rather than a dual core desktop part. Don't tell me it can't match those TDPs

Live Long And Overclock
    I don't understand the negativity. The insinuation that a dual core that can unlock as a quad should be sold as a quad is as absurd is the insinuation that a cpu that can clock to 4Ghz should be sold as a 150W 4Ghz CPU.

It is just another feature that us enthusiasts can take advantage of, just like overclocking, which is also never stable at high clocks and no two chips clock alike.

As for me, I want to know how they clock on two cores on air

Perkam

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Boga View Post
    If they don't have a separate mask for Duals, and when one takes into account Duals currenty sell in far greater number than quads, then AMD's yield of Quads must be pitiful or they have been forced into using perfectly good quads as low ASP duals.
    They have their own DualCore K10 mask by now, and if you take into account that amd sells multiple opteron quad core processor lines and quad core desktop chips it's quite obvious that there will be some (enough) chips with defective parts leftover to produce and sell such an extreme low volume chip (black edition is low volume)

the bulk of 45nm Dualcores (more than 95% ?!) will be made on their own dual core 2x1mb mask without any L3 cache
    Core i7 2600k|HD 6950|8GB RipJawsX|2x 128gb Samsung SSD 830 Raid0|Asus Sabertooth P67
    Seasonic X-560|Corsair 650D|2x WD Red 3TB Raid1|WD Green 3TB|Asus Xonar Essence STX

Core i3 2100|HD 7770|8GB RipJawsX|128gb Samsung SSD 830|Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
    Bequiet! E9 400W|Fractal Design Arc Mini|3x Hitachi 7k1000.C|Asus Xonar DX

Dell Latitude E6410|Core i7 620m|8gb DDR3|WXGA+ Screen|Nvidia Quadro NVS3100
    256gb Samsung PB22-J|Intel Wireless 6300|Sierra Aircard MC8781|WD Scorpio Blue 1TB

Harman Kardon HK1200|Vienna Acoustics Brandnew|AKG K240 Monitor 600ohm|Sony CDP 228ESD

Xtreme Addict
    I'm saying I doubt the two cores work correctly, as I find the TDP to be a likely limit for PhII. For tri-cores.... OK I'll bite.. not for DC!
    Quote Originally Posted by perkam View Post
    I don't understand the negativity. The insinuation that a dual core that can unlock as a quad should be sold as a quad is as absurd is the insinuation that a cpu that can clock to 4Ghz should be sold as a 150W 4Ghz CPU.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    oh noes...i just got my 720BE a few days ago
    Main Rig:
    Processor & Motherboard:AMD Ryzen5 1400 ' Gigabyte B450M-DS3H
    Random Access Memory Module:Adata XPG DDR4 3000 MHz 2x8GB
    Graphic Card:XFX RX 580 4GB
    Power Supply Unit:FSP AURUM 92+ Series PT-650M
    Storage Unit:Crucial MX 500 240GB SATA III SSD
    Processor Heatsink Fan:AMD Wraith Spire RGB
    Chasis:Thermaltake Level 10GTS Black

Xtreme Addict
    Sweet, we need a list of board/BIOS combos this and the Tri-Core unlock on.
    Intel i7 920 C0 @ 3.67GHz
    ASUS 6T Deluxe
    Powercolor 7970 @ 1050/1475
    12GB GSkill Ripjaws
    Antec 850W TruePower Quattro
    50" Full HD PDP
    Red Cosmos 1000

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Can you unlock only one core? Ie. make the dual a tri? That way if only one of the 2 spare cores is cr@p, you can still get a tri.

Quote Originally Posted by perkam View Post

It is just another feature that us enthusiasts can take advantage of, just like overclocking, which is also never stable at high clocks and no two chips clock alike.

As for me, I want to know how they clock on two cores on air

Perkam
    The negativity is due to it being an AMD announcement. Start an Intel thread stating the Core i5 line will have a dual core chip that unlocks to a quad and you'll get rainbow and lolly pop responses.

Xtreme Member
    AMD cost per deneb/shangai die is

300mm wafer area 70,683mm^2/243mm^2 die area=290 max dies per wafer
    20%waste and 65% yield gives them 151 functional cores at a wafer cost of $5000USD that is $33.11 per die.
    To make a fifty percent profit margin they need to sell their chips at an average cost of $66.22. If %20 of all the dies are some form of salvage call it 30 and you just dump them in the trash the price per core goes up to $41.32 per die. This means they must sell each chip at an average price of $82.64 to make the same %50 profit margins. Dual core and tri core make excellent economic sense.

If you dislike my numbers show me yours.

The die cost for the 955=940=810=720=710=550. The are all deneb/shangai, the only difference is the bin they get dumped into.
    Primary Box WC ^ Secondary Box Air
    supermicro sc750 FT ^ Spiral Galaxies
    fans see below for WC ^ 2x120mm Zalman
    Asus A8N32 deluxe ^ Asus A8N Premium
    Opteron 165 @2385 Maze 4 ^ AMD X2 3800+ @2300 Sonic tower
    Geil 2x1gb 2-2-2-5 ^ Geil 2x1gb 2-2-2-5
    ECS 8800GT 725x1749x1050 ^ nVidia 7300GS
    PSU Fortron BSII500w ^ PSU Fortron GLX600w
    The WC system is fairly typical, DD blocks x2 CPU-GPU, D-tek procore 1x120panaflo H1A fan and shroud, Eheim 1250 pump, 1/2" tygon, 1/2ht bay res, 1x80 Panaflo L1 fan

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast