Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What magazines do you PC guys subscribe to?

Banned

What magazines do you PC guys subscribe to?

just wondering what some of u guys subscribe to...

i subscribe to MaximumPC & popular mechanic, but find both their articles' pretty bad and poorly rated

by this i mean what "tech" magazines
    Last edited by LOUISSSSS; 05-27-2009 at 10:32 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    I have a subscription to WOOD, and some other BS I never read. Hehe, gotta love the inlaws for wasting money on a subscription to something I'm not the least bit interested. I mean c'mon, a woodworking subscription for an electronics guy?? Please!! They go into the trash as soon as they show up.
    Boy that info was old. As am I. Currently my kids have taken over my desktops. They are both sporting matching GTX1080's. Last Christmas I got everyone Oculuses and thus GTX1080's. My eldest is some sort of CSGO champion gold label something or other. Me I work and shoot real guns. Build Comps as needed.

Xtreme Member
    Post internet, my magazine consumption has died to almost zero. There's really no need for them. I also have to agree with your assessment of Maximum PC, they're really horrible. Even their podcast sucks. It's entertaining, but they really have a poor knowledge of the industry they think they represent.

Xtreme Member
    Why waste paper when you've got acces to the Internet? :d

E6550 2,33GHz @ 3,5 GHz || HD4850 714/1104 || 2x1GB OCZ PC-8500 @ 1000MHz
    Abit IP-35-e || Amacrox 450W PSU
    || Max. sig. size is 500x250 pix, isn't yours bigger?
    Cooled by: Apogee GT || MCW-60 || MCP655 || BW Extreme 123 rev. 2 || MCres

Banned
    how do you guys feel about CPU magazine? are they better than MAXPC?

Love will tear us apart
    ^ Yes, by leaps and bounds. Good columnists such as Anand...
    Dark Star IV
    i5 3570K | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | 8GB Samsung 30nm | GTX 670 FTW 4GB + XSPC Razer 680 | 128GB Samsung 830
    Apogee HD White | 140MM UT60/120MM UT45/120MM ST30 | XSPC D5 V2

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    None. I used to pick up the occasional Atomic (I think it's Australian-only), but with the internet I just troll here and Anandtech - I used to check out Tom's regularly, but it's gone to bananas over the past few years.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Live Long And Overclock
    Fine Cooking and...

Wait ALL magazines or?

Perkam

I subscribe to Discover. It's my general bathroom reader.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Addict
    tech magazines are completely useless imo, everything in them is old news by the time you get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

Engineering The Xtreme
    I get the Overclocker sometimes I'll stop in at a news stand and read a few snippets of a maximum PC or PC gamer (hardware section), but in reality the writers in both those mags dont know crap about computers and the articles might as well be written by 12y/o kids who know more than they do

Xtreme Member
    When I was more of a n00b I subscribed to Maximum PC, but I discontinued it because all the announcments and such in the mag are outdated by at least a few weeks by the time I get the mag, and if I ever get the urge to read a MAXPC article they are all on their website for free.

Banned
    Sniipe i could get good pay check on writing those articles

most of them are kind of bad because i was looking pc magazine and it said phenom 9950 was the best cpu on the market. I knew c2q were better, but they should have said amd's best cpu

Live Long And Overclock
    I stopped subscribing to or buying them long time ago.

I'll read 15 reviews of a new GTX or Radeon and then wait a month before I read a less-than-knowledgeable review on PC World about how 60FPS at 1280 res is supposed to be "jaw dropping".

Perkam

WCG Cruncher
    Swank

Distributed Computing: Making the world a better place, one work-unit at a time.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/index.jsp

Banned
    None. Forums killed the need for magazines.

WCG Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by MomijiTMO View Post
    None. Forums killed the need for magazines.
    As far as computers go, definitely

Distributed Computing: Making the world a better place, one work-unit at a time.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/index.jsp

Xtreme Addict
    But you can't bring the computer while you're on the toilet (I don't wanna bring my lappy in there though ) unless you're hardcore like me, tech magazines or some sort of adult magazines are perfect solution for toilet reading.

CPU: Core i7-2600K@4.8Ghz Mobo: Asus Sabertooth P67 Case: Corsair 700D w/ 800D window
    CPU Cooler:
    Corsair H70 w/ 2 GTs AP-15 GPU: 2xGigabyte GTX 670 WindForce OC SLI
    RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws PSU: Corsair AX850W Sound card: Asus Xonar DX + Fiio E9
    HDD:
    Crucial M4 128GB + 4TB HDD Display: 3x30" Dell UltraSharp 3007WFP-HC
    Speakers: Logitech Z-5500 Headphone: Sennheiser HD650

Xtreme Addict
    The Economist
    E8400 @ 4.0 | ASUS P5Q-E P45 | 4GB Mushkin Redline DDR2-1000 | WD SE16 640GB | HD4870 ASUS Top | Antec 300 | Noctua & Thermalright Cool
    Windows 7 Professional x64

Vista & Seven Tweaks, Tips, and Tutorials: http://www.vistax64.com/

Game's running choppy? See: http://www.tweakguides.com/

I am Xtreme
    I used to like PC Magazine because they covered everything from CPU architecture to O/S and software hints and how-tos. Then they started being mainly an end user publication and now they don't even publish a hard copy anymore. I was paid up for almost 5 years and I had to ask for a refund. I can't say I'm going to miss them though.

My other fave pubs are SciAm, Science News, PopSci, PopMech and Motor Trend.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    CPU Magazine (Computer Power User) I think this one is the best shows computer mods, gaming, Anand etc... Check it out great mag... -----> H E R E
    CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 4.8GHz
    MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-G1.Sniper M5 MATX 1150
    MEMORY: G.SKILL Trident X 8GB 2400MHz 9-11-11-31 1T
    GPU: 2 x eVGA GTX 780 SC
    SOUND KRK Rokit 5 Limited Edition White Studio Monitors
    SSD: 4 x Samsung 128GB Pro's Raid 0
    PSU: SeaSonic Platinum 1000W
    COOLING: 2 x Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 420mm 6 x Swiftech Helix 140mm Fans
    CASE: Lian Li PC-C32B TECH STATION MOD build log coming soon
    MONITOR: ASUS VG278HE Black 27" 149Hz
    O.S: Windows 7 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    High Times Magazine for the articals on growing, Mopar Muscle Magazine for storys on my favorite form of transportation and last Hustler just for the girls.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Used to be MaximumPC & PCGamer, until they become a GQ magazine chokeful of ads

Win7Pro 32-bit/ ABIT IP35 Pro v1.1 BIOS v.16beta09/ Intel C2D E8400 Batch Q748A223 /Xigmatek HDT-RS1283/ 4GB Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5DHX 5-5-5-18 1.80V ver4.1/ CORSAIR 850AX/ CM Stacker 830SE/ ZALMAN ZM-F3RL 120mm Red LED/120mm Yate Loon D12SL-12 Red LED/ Creative Labs Fatal1ty ProGamer/ MSI R7870/ Dell UltraSharp 2407FPW-HC...new FPS: Groundbranch.com/
    Ace's 40mm fan solution...be my buddy

Love will tear us apart
    Quote Originally Posted by iTravis View Post
    But you can't bring the computer while you're on the toilet (I don't wanna bring my lappy in there though ) unless you're hardcore like me, tech magazines or some sort of adult magazines are perfect solution for toilet reading.
    Note the strategically placed bottle of moisturizer
    Dark Star IV
    i5 3570K | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | 8GB Samsung 30nm | GTX 670 FTW 4GB + XSPC Razer 680 | 128GB Samsung 830
    Apogee HD White | 140MM UT60/120MM UT45/120MM ST30 | XSPC D5 V2

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by little_scrapper View Post
    I have a subscription to WOOD, and some other BS I never read. Hehe, gotta love the inlaws for wasting money on a subscription to something I'm not the least bit interested. I mean c'mon, a woodworking subscription for an electronics guy?? Please!! They go into the trash as soon as they show up.
    For some reason the first thing that came to mind was that magazine was some sort of :banana::banana::banana::banana:ography for women... Does that make me gay ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast