Thread: hello, new BR owner here.

hello, new BR owner here.

hi everyone,

First off, what a kick@ss looking MB- def. has it's own WOW factor.

I have need of a little help with concern to memory speed/compatibility using OCZ 1866 Reapers.

I have tried everything I know to get these to run correctly with this board, they simply will not even post above 1400.

I have had the cpu to 4.45 ghz on air, but no matter what the cpu is set to - nothing with this memory beyond 1400- OCZ say's it's this MB fault.

Any suggestions?

Also, why are there no "odd number" settings for the memory divider & uncore - I believe this would greatly enhance the speed and flexibility of this mother board.

Also, why a 2 pin NB fan? Three pins would have been much better, this so we can "see" it in the bios.

Here are my system specs:

i7 920 co/c1
    Blood rage mb- g22 (presently)
    AC freezer pro 7
    OCZ reaper 1866mhz 3 channel kit (6gb)
    2 WD 1 tb black sata drives
    thermaltake 850 watt SLI PSU
    2 BFG 285 GTX's
    Antec 900 series case
    Sony BRD
    Lite on 24x DVD burner
    Logitek MX 5500 Blue tooth m/kb
    Samsung 30" LCD
    Cambridge MegaSound THX 5.1

Dedicated 20 amp electrical service for PC

Any help - I sure would be thankful for.

Thank you.
    Last edited by dragonz1r; 05-26-2009 at 05:00 PM. Reason: added system spec's

Xtreme Addict
    C0 4,45 GHz? Uah..

Dunno what you increased or not, but running anything above 1333 MHz ram needs some VTT volts pushed upwards (my guess is at least +200mV on VTT at 1866 MHz) .. btw. have you tried to simply set everything on default, add some volts to VTT and try at least 1600 MHz on rams? Or more.. plus check that you have right voltage set on rams. Btw. running beta BIOS can make some unexpected issues, I would advice also trying P07 (you have two BIOS chips anyway, why not use them? and if you like beta, maybe G25?

Those rams could be Elpida MNE-Hyper.. which is excelent for OCing..

Yep and you must keep uncore multi least 2x times of your memory multi (eg. if you have 10x memory multi, you need to have 20x uncore multi).

This board is capable of running rams at 2GHz and more.. so its wrong settings in BIOS or not good rams.. or beta BIOS..
    i7 930 D0 - 4,2 GHz + Megashadow
    3x4GB Crucial 1600MHz CL8
    Foxconn Bloodrage rev. 1.1 - P09
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    SeaGate ES.2 1TB + 1TB External SeaGate
    Corsair HX 850W (its GOLD man!)
    ASUS STX + Sennheiser HD 555 (tape mod)

Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

hey thank you for the responce, but I have been testing for nearly a month now- I just installed the G25 bios and I now have no problems with 1866mhz with the OCZ Reapers now, all be it my cpu overclock is now less, but I will work this out in time as well.

I would post pic's but I have no provider to save them to, however, I would be happy to email them to you if you would like. BTW, VTT is +50mV, ALL other voltage settings 3 steps higher in their settings, as per the bios.

I have even had the system, right off the bat, with G25 bios to 4.06 ghz with an idle temp of 32c, and ran thru three levels of Crysis w/o issue, I forgot to check load temps before I rebooted.

G25 is kick@ss.

But PLEASE give me odd number memory dividers, what good is an uncore of 26?
    Last edited by dragonz1r; 05-26-2009 at 06:16 PM.

NICE CPU
    C0 can goes to 4.4GHz
    well done

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonz1r View Post
    hey thank you for the responce, but I have been testing for nearly a month now- I just installed the G25 bios and I now have no problems with 1866mhz with the OCZ Reapers now, all be it my cpu overclock is now less, but I will work this out in time as well.

I would post pic's but I have no provider to save them to, however, I would be happy to email them to you if you would like. BTW, VTT is +50mV, ALL other voltage settings 3 steps higher in their settings, as per the bios.

I have even had the system, right off the bat, with G25 bios to 4.06 ghz with an idle temp of 32c, and ran thru three levels of Crysis w/o issue, I forgot to check load temps before I rebooted.

G25 is kick@ss.

But PLEASE give me odd number memory dividers, what good is an uncore of 26?
    Oh my god.. you have incredible CPU.. its like D0, just without being D0.

Uncore sets uncore.. not memory. Its important for overall bandwith (especially copy bandwith). Higher you have, faster it is.. just set it 2x more than memory multi and you are fine.. (I have for example 175 BCLK/8x memory multi and 28 uncore I think.. which results in copy bandwith more than 20k in Everest .

Dunno why there are these numbers.. ask Intel I guess..

About provider for photos.. try photobucket.com ..its free.
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD

Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

Took your advice - here are some pic's.

Last edited by dragonz1r; 05-29-2009 at 02:15 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    I have that ram and they are definitely Hypers.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Utnorris View Post
    I have that ram and they are definitely Hypers.
    They should be, sometimes they are supposed to be HCF0, but as much as I notice (3 users), they are hypers. I've recommanded them to few ppl, tough wouldn't do that now, since recent issues with hypers dying.. tough, it wasnt OCZs and they have pretty good RMA.
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonz1r View Post
    Took your advice - here are some pic's.

Nice results .. whats voltage of rams? I guess you should be able to squeeze little bit more from them..
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD

hi, and thank you, well to answer- 1.65v:

since I am now able to run at 1866, I have ran into issues with memory stick 2&3, these have an intermittant issue, so I have rma'd the set back to newegg, I opted for the GSKILL Perfect storm 2000mhz kit that comes w/active cooling.

These use elipida chips and are timmed to 7-7-7-20 @1.65v

should be able to get 2133 out of them easy, but we shall see.

I would not recomend the ocz reapers because they have about a 40% failure rate, all be it they are considerably less expensive then most ddr3 out there, and for obvious reasons. lest I mention that ocz deleted my posts at their website after I told them I was returning the memory for GSKILL- LOL, they do not seem to like competetion.

either way, the system flies, I just wish I would have gone with a bigger case then the antec 900 I have- I should have went with the 1200. the 285's consume a lot of realestate.
    Last edited by dragonz1r; 05-30-2009 at 11:22 AM.

BTW, you stated:
    Uncore sets uncore.. not memory. Its important for overall bandwith (especially copy bandwith). Higher you have, faster it is.. just set it 2x more than memory multi and you are fine.. (I have for example 175 BCLK/8x memory multi and 28 uncore I think.. which results in copy bandwith more than 20k in Everest
    perhaps you misunderstand what uncore actually does, perhaps Intel should have named UNCORE CPU interface controller- please see here: http://www.intel.com/technology/itj/...on/2-intro.htm

INTRODUCTION
    Over the last few years, dual-core processors have become mainstream in desktop, mobile, and server platforms due to their ability to deliver higher system performance more efficiently than single-core processors. The trend towards higher core counts is continuing strong with quad-core processors establishing an increasing presence across all market segments.

Industry experience with small-scale shared memory multiprocessors enabled a relatively effortless integration of a small number of processors into a single die. Moving beyond a small number to tens or hundreds of processor cores at the same time as other platform ingredients such as memory controllers, I/O bridges, and graphics engines find their way to the processor die, introduces significant challenges to the infrastructure that ties all these together. This infrastructure includes the on-die interconnect, the cache hierarchy, the memory, the I/O, and system interfaces. In this paper we use the term uncore to collectively refer to all the elements in the processor die that are not computing engines.

The tera-scale architecture uncore must be capable of satisfying the communication requirements of a large number of cores, fixed function computing engines, and the external memory and I/O system. In order to scale effectively, the uncore must find ways to keep the off-die bandwidth manageable and within the constraints of cost, power, and high-speed signaling technology. The uncore must be able to offer significant flexibility to assign computing resources to concurrently solve different problems. It must include mechanisms to enable high-volume manufacturing by enhancing reliability in the presence of increasing architectural complexity and decreasing silicon geometries. Moreover, it must perform its functions within a constrained power envelope.

This paper is organized as follows. First, we describe the architectural vision for tera-scale processors. Second, we focus on the challenges and opportunities imposed by the tera-scale architecture in the key uncore elements such as the on-die interconnect, cache hierarchy, and memory architecture. We conclude with a summary of the key challenges, opportunities, and directions outlined in this paper.
    Last edited by dragonz1r; 05-30-2009 at 11:27 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    So in fact its something like all-in-one controller.. which also affect memory. Interesting.. I haven't read this.. I knew its somewhat related to memory, but not directly (well except that 2:1 multi ratio).

Good to know.. bad to know that those Reapers have so high failure rater, I was tempted to buy them.. I've seen some 1600 CL6 single OCZ sticks (rated to 1.9V or sumthing) which are probably D9GTR/GTS .. maybe I'll try them.

And yes.. OCZ is pretty aggressive nowdays.. dunno why, if they think that they'll have more customers that way..

My G.Skills are working perfectly, tough they can't OC at all, but its not G.Skill fault.. its just low-end DDR3 kit..

I would try maybe TeamGroup.. they have always some interesting ram kits. (they are kinda like Cellshock)
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD

Well in my 14 years of experience I have never had a bad GSKILL product, and this way back when 266mhz was the rig to own. Usually, not always, GSKILL is about 80% of their rating (to the positive side). I believe in less then two years AMD will regain the crown- hopefully, as they are far easier to deal with, and far less costly then Intel- notice the economy? Intel up ~ AMD down- so too in the US economy- what was, now is again.

I actually still have four 1 gig sticks of GSKILL ddr 400 that clocks to 488, in that time period, these were the .

I also have a 4400dc and 4000sc that are clock champions for their day.

LOL, I still have my 1700 athlon that went to 3.8 ghz- amazing how things change.

Wanna buy a gf 6800 ultra .....AGP.....
    Last edited by dragonz1r; 05-30-2009 at 03:55 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Just wanted to say that I just bought this mobo as well and while testing this week run into the same problem running the Dominator GT's. I can run them at ~1820 but anything beyond that is just a reboot. Now I know that I can run these much higher since I tested them in dual channel. Now I just flashed the mobo to G25 so we'll see how we make out with that. At this point I have a question. What do you guys think is the max. possible Uncore frequency? It looks to me like 4G is pretty much it?

Hi, and

To answer, in my experience (so far) uncore should be two times the mem multi- no more no less.

Also, with G25, take all voltages up to the point they are one step before they redline- this greatly helps with ant over clocking.

I have now also tried some GSkill memory (perfect storm) and I now own it - I rma'd the OCZ in favor of this, It clocks to 2100, so far the max I can get stabil is 2048, so either the boards bios is a factor, or, voltage. Not sure yet.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by HitandRun View Post
    Just wanted to say that I just bought this mobo as well and while testing this week run into the same problem running the Dominator GT's. I can run them at ~1820 but anything beyond that is just a reboot. Now I know that I can run these much higher since I tested them in dual channel. Now I just flashed the mobo to G25 so we'll see how we make out with that. At this point I have a question. What do you guys think is the max. possible Uncore frequency? It looks to me like 4G is pretty much it?
    Maybe you tried.. but try some higher tRFC settings.. maybe even max them and see if that helps. Plus for really high memory freq, you need to push VTT.. its safe on air up to 1.5V VTT.
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD