Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: i7 Turbo - Tool to test for Turbo throttling

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If you go in your BIOS and turn ON "Current Voltage Override" ... you should NEVER see your Turbo ratio changing du to Temperature or Current, and the PCU (Power control unit) will refrein from modified your turbo ratios. You can as well increase the TDC and TDP value to match your own heatsink requirements.

It can still happen when you get to the critical temperature , close to 100C. If it happens, your CPU protect itself from getting too hot, since the Pentium III, this is the same mecanism. This one happens usually when your heatsink is not set up properly, or if you go stupid on the voltage with an unappropriate cooling technology on it ... 1.6V on aircool for example ...

Nice Tool! let me know if you need specs or support in the Futur.

Francois
    DrWho, The last of the time lords, setting up the Clock.

Memory Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Drwho? View Post
    If you go in your BIOS and turn ON "Current Voltage Override" ... you should NEVER see your Turbo ratio changing du to Temperature or Current, and the PCU (Power control unit) will refrein from modified your turbo ratios. You can as well increase the TDC and TDP value to match your own heatsink requirements.

It can still happen when you get to the critical temperature , close to 100C. If it happens, your CPU protect itself from getting too hot, since the Pentium III, this is the same mecanism. This one happens usually when your heatsink is not set up properly, or if you go stupid on the voltage with an unappropriate cooling technology on it ... 1.6V on aircool for example ...

Nice Tool! let me know if you need specs or support in the Futur.

Francois
    Awesome news, looking forward to new improved turbo tool with Intel's help
    ---

Xtreme Addict
    Windows 7 generally looks like this.

I have EIST enabled and C1E disabled in the bios. I'm not sure why some motherboards do not give you this option.

eva2000: I think the latest version of i7 Turbo V8 combined with RealTemp 3.30 eliminates a lot of the early bugs and inconsistent results (glitches) as I was getting to know how to use these timers. Now I just need to add proper support for Core i3/i5 and the new Core i7. Hopefully in the next few days.
    Last edited by unclewebb; 08-09-2009 at 11:47 AM.

Unfortunately I am using the Turbo throttling champion, Asus P6T Deluxe V2, BIOS version 0504. My calculated multiplier doesn't drop at idle I think, it's between 20.996~21.000

Seems like the problem is i7 Turbo v8 caused by RealTemp3.0, after change to RealTemp 3.30, no problems at all. I didn't see any signs of turbo throttling in log file. The multiplier steady at 21.000 now.

40 min prime test

Xtreme Addict
    Nice to see your Asus P6T Deluxe v2 running steady at 4200 MHz and that you are finally getting consistent results from i7 Turbo V8 by using RealTemp 3.30.

When I originally wrote RealTemp 3.00 I underestimated how frequently these timers overflow and wrap around. At idle they only wrap around about once a week which isn't a big deal but when running Prime at 4.2 GHz, they wrap around in less than 5 minutes.

Now try running that same Prime test with hyper threading enabled. Your multi might not be quite so steady at 21.000 when you do that.

Your core temps with core 0 exactly 5C higher than core 3 while running Prime and the two center cores in the middle is what every properly installed Core i7 usually shows.

Xtreme Addict

i7 Turbo 6.5

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/3/1794507/Turbo.zip

Just a minor update. I added initial support for Core i3 / i5 / new i7 and even i9 as long as hyper threading isn't enabled.

I'm hoping to get some info from Drwho so i7 Turbo can correctly identify some of the new Core i ES processors better but at least it seems to work correctly with these new CPUs.

The V8 has been dropped from the name and the original i7 Turbo has been retired so now there is only one version. Nice and simple.

If you are still using RealTemp 3.00, update to RealTemp 3.30 which will improve the consistency of your i7 Turbo results since they both use the same internal timers.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/...alTempBeta.zip

Here's a screen shot of rge running 10 hours of Prime without the calculated multiplier budging by 0.001 the whole time.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...postcount=3484

Nice overclock and temps.
    Last edited by unclewebb; 08-12-2009 at 08:58 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    BUMP for this great tool that I've been using on my Bloodrage and DFI T3eH8 for turning turbo and C1E on/off and ensuring accurate clock measurement!!!

I really like the integration with RealTemp beta.. keep it up!

Thank you, unclewebb!

--two awesome rigs, wildly customized with
    5.1 Sony speakers, Stereo 3D, UV Tourmaline Confexia, Flame Bl00dr4g3 Fatal1ty
    --SONY GDM-FW900 24" widescreen CRT, overclocked to:
    2560x1600 resolution at 68Hz!(from 2304x1440@80Hz)

Updated List of Video Card GPU Voodoopower Ratings!!!!!

Xtreme Addict

i7 Turbo 6.6

You're welcome, Bo_Fox.

Just a quick update to better support the new socket 1156 Core i5 and Core i7 CPUs which have a minimum multiplier of 9.0.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Unclewebb, I am in vacation, I ll take care of all when I am back ... I did not forget you !
    DrWho, The last of the time lords, setting up the Clock.

Xtreme Addict
    Thank you Drwho? The more information you can send my way, the better tools I can create for the user community.

Xtreme Addict

i7 Turbo 6.8

Thanks to rintamarotta, I was able to get i7 Turbo 6.8 to correctly support his T9500 mobile CPU.

These CPUs have a feature called Intel Dynamic Acceleration which is very similar to the Turbo Boost feature on the Core i7/i5 chips. The T9500 has a default maximum multiplier of 13 so normally it would run at 200 MHz X 13 = 2600 MHz. When IDA kicks in, the multiplier steps up to 14 when running a single threaded task.

In his screen shot while running a single thread of SuperPI, i7 Turbo shows that the multiplier is cycling between 13.0 and 14.0. A reading of 13.728 on the core that is doing most of the work means that it is spending 72.8% of the time at the higher 14X multiplier and the other 27.2% of the time at the 13X multiplier.

The less background activity going on, the more the CPU can automatically step up and use the higher multiplier for a 200 MHz boost in performance.

Traditional programs that sample the multiplier once per second will not accurately show the true performance of a modern CPU that supports IDA or Intel® Turbo Boost Technology.

Edit: i7 Turbo is working correctly on the i5 750. This screen shot was while running a single threaded task. The two center cores are taking turns at being the active core so the maximum turbo multiplier is approaching 24 on these two cores, 23.733 and 23.829. The outside cores are mostly in charge of background tasks so they spend most of their time inactive which allows the other cores to try and work at 24X as much as possible.

At full load when all 4 cores are active (load > 95%), the maximum multiplier is limited to 21.000 as can be seen in the Min / Max data.

Thanks jy_nz at Tom's for sharing that.

Edit: He was using an MSI P55-CD53 motherboard which allows for multiple bins of turbo boost (4) even when overclocking the BCLK. Very few of the socket 1366 boards supported this feature.
    Last edited by unclewebb; 09-07-2009 at 10:08 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Bump for a great tool!!!!!!!!

--two awesome rigs, wildly customized with
    5.1 Sony speakers, Stereo 3D, UV Tourmaline Confexia, Flame Bl00dr4g3 Fatal1ty
    --SONY GDM-FW900 24" widescreen CRT, overclocked to:
    2560x1600 resolution at 68Hz!(from 2304x1440@80Hz)

Updated List of Video Card GPU Voodoopower Ratings!!!!!

Xtreme Addict

i7 Turbo 6.9

Minor bug fix to correctly support Core 2 mobile CPUs that have the Super Low Frequency Mode (SLFM) feature that can drop the multiplier in half from 6.0 to 3.0 at idle. Any screen shots showing this would be appreciated.

Thanks to "somebody" on TPU for bringing this to my attention.

Edit: It needed one more little tweak but IDA and SLFM support is almost perfect. Here's the beta version so far.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/...7/Turbo691.zip

If you have a Core 2 mobile CPU that supports either of these features, post some screen shots.
    Last edited by unclewebb; 10-01-2009 at 10:43 AM.

Xtreme Member
    I love your tools Uncle, great job!
    OBSIDIAN 800D, ASRock P67 Professional, Intel 2600K [UNLOCKED] watercooled by Ybris Black Sun (HWLabs Black Ice SR1-360 w/Nanoxia 2K, Swiftech MCP655 + Res XSPC), 4GB KINGSTON LoVo, SSD 128GB Crucial RealSSD C300, HDD Seagate Barracuda 250GB/500GB, Corsair HX 750w, nVidia 260 GTX XFX Black Edition, X-FI Xtreme Gamer

Xtreme Addict

i7 Turbo 6.92

I've been tweaking i7 Turbo to better support the Core 2 mobile CPUs that have the Intel Dynamic Acceleration (IDA) / turbo boost feature as well as Super Low Frequency Mode (SLFM).

These include models like the early T7100, T7300, T7500, T7700 and the more recent P8000 and T9000 series.

The Intel publicly available documentation isn't very thorough so I could really use some feedback from users.

If you have any of the above could you try running i7 Turbo and make sure that it correctly reports your multiplier with IDA / Turbo mode enabled and disabled when running a single thread of SuperPI mod as well as when running 2 threads so the CPU is fully loaded. Include CPU-Z if you can but I don't think it is correctly reporting SLFM yet.

In theory, IDA is supposed to disappear when both cores are fully loaded but I've already seen a P8400 where this doesn't happen. IDA might be able to run full time when it's only giving the CPU a +0.5 multi boost.

Hyper PI is a good GUI for this kind of Super PI testing.
    http://www.virgilioborges.com.br/vir...orges/hyperpi/

Post or PM me some pics and thanks for any help you can send my way.

Edit: Here's a screen shot from Stefan showing i7 Turbo correctly detecting SLFM mode where the multiplier gets cut in half at idle from 6.0 to 3.0.

Don't complain that i7 Turbo is not "just like CPU-Z". Sometimes that's a good thing.

The high C0% at idle is also a good thing. The more a CPU is able to idle and slow down, the harder the active core is going to have to work to keep up with the background tasks. This CPU is only running at 800 MHz now externally and internally I think it might be running as slow as 400 MHz if this CPU supports Intel Dynamic FSB Frequency Switching where half the clock pulses get ignored by the CPU. That's my best guess at what the C0 number is showing you on a mobile chip.
    Last edited by unclewebb; 10-02-2009 at 11:59 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Looks like fileden is down, do you have any mirrors for Turbo v6.92?

http://mato78.com - Finnish PC Hardware news & reviews
    BulldogPO @ Twitter

Xtreme Addict
    The FileDen site I use was causing problems for a day or two but the link above should be working OK now.

i7 Turbo 6.94 is the latest one. It took a few tries to properly support SLFM mode and IDA mode on the Core 2 laptop chips but I think it's 100% now and should support pretty much any Intel Core CPU as long as the internal timers are working correctly. Some early ES processors might have these timers disabled. If you have an Atom based chip, post some results if this program works or doesn't.

It looks like you were able to find the latest version BulldogPO.

Memory Addict
    Uploaded it to my site for mirror download link to turbo 6.94 here http://nx.i4memory.com/i7turbotool/Turbo_6.94.zip

hello ... Can you help me?
    I did the test for throttling , these are my results:
    [IMG][/IMG]

how about this test?

tanks

I think i have a problem. Why this boxes are grey :

I remember, they've been showing some values in the past but not any more and i can't explain what is the cause to that.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorat View Post
    I think i have a problem. Why this boxes are grey :

I remember, they've been showing some values in the past but not any more and i can't explain what is the cause to that.
    No, you don't.
    Min and max will show data when your total CPU usage goes over 95% as written it the box to the right (load filter).
    Middle and lower row of boxes are empty for obvious reasons.
    Maximus 5 Gene | i7-3770K @ 5GHz | ADATA 2x2GB @ 2.6GHz 9-12-10-28-1T | HD7970 @ 1200/6400
    Rampage 4 Extreme | i7-3930K @ 5GHz ||| X58-A OC Orange | i7-980X @ 4.6GHz

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456