Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: i7 Turbo - Tool to test for Turbo throttling

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    just want to add that this also works on the dual socket gainestown boards..
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Addict
    The only time rge has seen the +2 Turbo is when he disables 3 cores in his bios. As far as I know, when all 4 cores are enabled, the most you can get is a +1 Turbo boost when using a 920 or 940.

Maybe I'll mod my tool some day to show all 8 threads and increase the polling interval to a 1000 times a second or whatever I can get away with and I'll create more data than you can shake a stick at.
    If the legendary +2 exists with all 4 cores enabled, we'll find it!

Movieman: At least something is working for you on that board. It's probably only reading the first 4 cores though. I'll put an 8 core version on the things to do list.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by unclewebb View Post
    The only time rge has seen the +2 Turbo is when he disables 3 cores in his bios. As far as I know, when all 4 cores are enabled, the most you can get is a +1 Turbo boost when using a 920 or 940.

Maybe I'll mod my tool some day to show all 8 threads and increase the polling interval to a 1000 times a second or whatever I can get away with and I'll create more data than you can shake a stick at.
    If the legendary +2 exists with all 4 cores enabled, we'll find it!

Movieman: At least something is working for you on that board. It's probably only reading the first 4 cores though. I'll put an 8 core version on the things to do list.
    it does on gainestowns..
    The X5560's I tested are 2800mhz default or a 21 multi
    drop a load on the machine and it goes up to 3060 or 23 multi..
    nope, it shows all 8 cores, let me grab a screenshot for you.
    Last edited by Movieman; 05-27-2009 at 03:10 PM.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

HI, with p6t6 ws revolution (bios 0407) 21x214 blck no problem, but 215x21 the coef down to 20 , and still no new bios since February .
    Last edited by enkie; 05-28-2009 at 02:43 AM.
    I7 2600k @4.5ghz, Maximus IV Extreme, 4gb Gskills Ripjaws X pc 17000, Velociraptor 300go, Asus 660 GTX , HAF 932, Coolermaster M1000, Watercooling

3930k, Asus R4E, Gskills Ripjaws X , SSD Samsung 840 pro, SLI 780TI Inno3d Ichill, Corsair 900D, Lepa G1600W, Watercooling

Asus R3E Black Edition (RIP)

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    it does on gainestowns..
    The X5560's I tested are 2800mhz default or a 21 multi
    drop a load on the machine and it goes up to 3060 or 23 multi..
    nope, it shows all 8 cores, let me grab a screenshot for you.
    image edited out
    There has been some talk in some of the X58 threads that it may indeed be possible to somehow unlock the +2 Turbo mode on all four cores. I want to see it happen! That would be so killer!
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

Xtreme Addict
    Movieman: If you have hyper threading enabled then the i7 Turbo tool will only show you your first 8 threads or your first 4 cores. If HT is disabled, then it will show you all 8 cores. I think I need to build a 16 thread version for you.

You're definitely getting a +2 Turbo boost. Maybe this is only possible when not overclocking or maybe your motherboard manufacturer has a few connections that the other guys don't.

Does Turbo Mode Disable work on your board?

enkie: Your motherboard has been added to the list in post #1. Why is Asus the only motherboard manufacturer that doesn't care about enthusiasts? Send them a link to this forum and ask them, "Why?"
    Last edited by unclewebb; 05-27-2009 at 04:51 PM.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Movieman: If you have hyper threading enabled then the i7 Turbo tool will only show you your first 8 threads or your first 4 cores. If HT is disabled, then it will show you all 8 cores. I think I need to build a 16 thread version for you.

You're definitely getting a +2 Turbo boost. Maybe this is only possible when not overclocking or maybe your motherboard manufacturer has a few connections that the other guys don't.

Does Turbo Mode Disable work on your board?

enkie: Your motherboard has been added to the list in post #1. Why is Asus the only motherboard manufacturer that doesn't care about enthusiasts? Send them a link to this forum and ask them, "Why?"
    That SS was taken with HT enabled. Will try it later tonight with HT disabled.
    My board, Supermicro X8DA3, has no options to OC at all, just to enable or disable turbo function.
    No need to make a 16 thread one for me. I'm ok as it is.
    now if you can do something so i can boost the memory speed I may hug ya!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by enkie View Post
    HI, with p6t6 ws revolution (bios 0407) 21x214 blck no problem, but 215x21 the coef down to 20 , and still no new bios since February .
    Bomb Asus with complaints!

They are perfectly able to disable load protection, like in Rampage II Extreme that I own; it keeps 21x rock stable even with cpu at 4600 MHz and Vcpu at 1.45 V.

Xtreme Addict
    hi Brama: If you have time post a screen shot or two and show the world that it is not impossible for Asus to fix this problem. Obviously they have the technology. They just need to understand that this isn't some sort of bonus feature for users. It needs to be a basic feature of all Asus X58 motherboards.

Memory Addict
    Talk about a weird one for ya to work around a 12x fixed multi issue on DFI UT X58-T3EH8 with some folks setup/cpus http://i4memory.com/f80/windows-7-tu...esearch-18053/

CPU Feature
    Set VR Current Limit Max: Enabled
    Thermal Management Control: Disabled
    EIST Function: Enabled
    CxE Function: AUTO
    Execute Disable Bit: Disabled
    Virtualization Technology: Disabled

***** Logical Processor Setting *****
    Intel HT Technology: Enabled
    Active Processor Cores: All

Voltage Setting
    O.C. Shut Down Free: Disable O.C.S.D.F
    CPU VID Control: AUTO
    CPU VID Special Add Limit: Enabled
    CPU VID Special Add: 110.10%
    Vcore Droop Control: Disabled

PPM Function: Enabled
    Turbo Mode Function: Enabled
    1 core Max Turbo Ratio: 22x
    2 core Max Turbo Ratio: 21x
    3 core Max Turbo Ratio: 21x
    4 core Max Turbo Ratio: 21x
    CPU Non-Turbo Clock Ratio: 20x
    With CxE set to AUTO instead of Disabled, 21x multi under load achieved BUT idle cpuz reported multi is funny one 22x! Under load multi changes from 22x idle to 21x load and voltage changes from 1.120v idle to 1.312v load

---

Xtreme Addict
    Movieman's X5560 was a little confusing until rge looked up the Intel specs for it and found this:

http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SLBF4

2/2/3/3 are the available frequency bins (+133 MHz)of Intel® Turbo Boost Technology that are available for 4, 3, 2, 1 active cores respectively.

With 4 cores per CPU active, it makes sense why he gets a +2 Turbo boost. With only 1 or 2 cores enabled in the bios, this CPU gets a +3 Turbo boost.

Intel doesn't have the docs posted for the W3520 yet so I'm not sure what its Turbo boost capabilities are. For the 920 and 940, it's this:

1/1/1/2 are the available frequency bins (+133 MHz)of Intel® Turbo Boost Technology that are available for 4, 3, 2, 1 active cores respectively.

A +1 Turbo with all 4 cores enabled is correct at full load for the 920 and it looks like the same is correct for the W3520. At idle with the voltage reporting 1.120, it looks like Speedstep is doing its thing so a CPU-Z reported multi of 22 is not correct.

rge has been doing a pile of testing for me the last few days and a lot of things are finally starting to make sense when it comes to multipliers. Intel deserves a because the publicly available documentation is horrible. Simple bits of information can't be obtained from reading 1000s of pages of manuals. A lot of it is trial and error.

i7 Turbo has a couple of minor bugs. When that's fixed, later tonight, then I'm hoping to look at the DFI 12 multi problem to see if anything is possible.
    Last edited by unclewebb; 05-30-2009 at 12:49 PM.

Memory Addict
    thanks for taking a look..

here's CxE set to C1E instead of AUTO for 21x200

CPU Feature
    CxE Function: C1E

Voltage Setting
    CPU VID Special Add: 110.10%

Max calculated and MSR multi = 21x under 3dmark06 load

---

Xtreme Addict
    Have you tried adjusting the Minimum processor state as outlined in this previous post?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...6&postcount=12

I'm just interested to see how that effects your calculated multiplier at idle. This option is available in Vista and in Windows 7 beta but I'm not sure if it is in Win 7 RC1 or if it got changed or renamed to something else. If something got changed, that might explain why the DFI is stuck at 12 for some users at full load.

In your last picture above the CPU Load is usually arranged so that it shows core 0, core 0 hyper thread, core 1, core 1 hyper thread and then in the second row of boxes, same thing for cores 2 and 3. Interesting that all 4 of your hyper threads are all idle with 0.00% Load.

wonder if my i7 920 @ 3,5 ghz is throtling turbo on tbh.
    somehow find it hard to believe since i dont known if this tool is acurate or so.

MSR multi stay's min max 21.000

Calculated multiplier sometimes dips a little.
    this is while running linx full load in background.

edit: calculated MP shows 19.935 min max while currently showing 21.000 also currently.

msr multiplier stay's un changed constant 21.000 asswell as min max.

disable turbo mode checkbox does lower multi to 20x and show this asswell in msr multiplier.

edit: image
    running windows 7 build 7137 x64

Last edited by zer0kewl; 05-30-2009 at 03:29 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    zer0kewl: Your load filter is set too high.

Try running Prime 95 Small FFTs first with the Load Filter set to 90%.

The real time Calculated Multiplier is showing 21.000 which is what it should be showing. Once you're up to full load running Prime, hit the Reset Min/Max button. The Min and Max and real time Calculated Multi should stay steady at 21.000. That will help prove that the tool is working.

When running LinX, run a Log File. Leave the Filter set at 90%. Click on Reset Min/Max and check your Min and Max when finished. If they aren't both 21.000 then go and have a look in the log file and see what the Load % was when the Calculated Multiplier dropped down. Once your Load Filter is dropped down a little and you learn to understand what this tool is telling you, hopefully you'll have a better opinion of it.

This tool is a work in progress based on feedback. It's not doing too bad so far.

Go back to rge's testing on the previous page. It makes it pretty clear when there is a Turbo throttling issue.
    Last edited by unclewebb; 05-30-2009 at 05:13 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Hey Uncle,

Couple of enhancements:

1. Make 98% as the default filter. Or allow to save the last setting. Its a pain to change it every time.
    2. Check log file by default. Its not that big a file.
    3. Check max of current MSR and current calculated multi to report current multi. It looks like many times I run this thing for an hour, the min reported is 17.394 for calculated, 12 (EIST enabled) for MSR. I look at the log and find that MSR was always 21.000 when the load was >98% (my filter) while calculated one fell 3-4 times to some random values.

Thanks for writing this tool. It confirmed that Asus was a problem and my new DFI board is not.

PS: forgot to mention that when turbo throttling occured in Asus, MSR fell to quarter based numbers below 21 like 20.250. MSR stays at 21 under load for DFI.
    Last edited by devsk; 05-30-2009 at 10:44 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    devsk: The next version with a few bug fixes and enhancements should be ready tomorrow. I'll definitely be considering some of your ideas before releasing it.

Your last sentence is the important part. i7 Turbo may not be perfect yet but it's already good enough to spot a Turbo throttling issue. Users just need to play around with it and learn how to interpret the data. Glad to hear your DFI is working out for you.

Xtreme Member
    devsk: The next version with a few bug fixes and enhancements should be ready tomorrow. I'll definitely be considering some of your ideas before releasing it.

Your last sentence is the important part. i7 Turbo may not be perfect yet but it's already good enough to spot a Turbo throttling issue. Users just need to play around with it and learn how to interpret the data. Glad to hear your DFI is working out for you.
    DFI is not really a bed of roses.... More thorns. I can't get 4.32Ghz (that I had on Asus) to stabilize on DFI. 4.2 is looking good.

Memory Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by devsk View Post
    DFI is not really a bed of roses.... More thorns. I can't get 4.32Ghz (that I had on Asus) to stabilize on DFI. 4.2 is looking good.
    Give it time and definitely bookmark and re-read all my notes and links i posted before. Then re-read ... then re-read... then re-read

No probs pushing higher for me on 21x with W3520 now, i7 Turbo says max Calculated and MSR multi is 21x under load and 3dmark06 cpu score confirms it is working at 21x210Bclk with VID = AUTO + VID Special Add = 110.1% for 1.088v idle and 1.312v load vcore when CxE set to C1E.

CPUZ Idle vs After Load Idle

max Calculated and MSR multi is 21x

3dmark06

max Calculated and MSR multi is 21x

---

Xtreme Member
    George, you are saying I should set VID to auto, and vid special add to 110% for higher BCLK? How about vdroop? enabled or disabled?
    Last edited by devsk; 05-31-2009 at 12:00 AM.

Memory Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by devsk View Post
    George, you are saying I should set VID to auto, and vid special add to 110% for higher BCLK? How about vdroop? enabled or disabled?
    Best to post in the dfi ut x58 thread, but no, this vid auto/special add + cxe/c1e is only IF you use win7 OS and have fixed 12x multi issue when Turbo is enabled. If you don't have such 12x fixed multi issue, then clock normally. I had 4x i7 920 with no win7/turbo 12x multi issue. Only my W3520 has it so hence the work around for now. Vdroop is personal preference and some cpus like it enabled or disabled.

i.e. my i7 920 C0 on TRUE120 air doing 4400mhz HT enabled 3d benching and 4600-4700mhz HT off 2d benching at http://i4memory.com/f80/i7-920-4769m...120-air-13746/ and http://i4memory.com/f80/i7-920-3836a...8-t3eh8-13007/. my i7 920 d0 also can bench 4400mhz HT enabled on H20 and 2d HT 4600+mhz too.
    Last edited by eva2000; 05-31-2009 at 12:08 AM.
    ---

Memory Addict
    More tests with DFI UT X58 and 4/28 beta bios and VID = AUTO, VID Special Add 110.1% with CxE = C1E

Wprime v1.55 1024M Load and Post Load Idle

---

hmmmmm real odd
    why would it show below 20 multi
    when turbo multi is 21x default multi 20x.

Memory Addict
    Running at near the max of CPU VID Special Add Limit = Enabled max selectable CPU VID Special Add: 114.17% with CPU VID Control = AUTO which gives me 1.136V idle vcore and max vcore under load of 1.376v. More >114.88% you need to disable CPU VID Special Add Limit but that cancels out the work around fix for Turbo multi and ends up with cpu multi at between 12x to 18x instead of at 21x under load.

==================================================
    CPU Feature
    CxE Function: C1E

Voltage Setting
    CPU VID Special Add: 114.17%

21x215bclk - 4509Mhz

Wprime v1.55 1024M load and post load idle

3dmark06 @21x215bclk - 4509Mhz

Last edited by eva2000; 05-31-2009 at 03:58 AM.
    ---

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zer0kewl View Post
    hmmmmm real odd
    why would it show below 20 multi
    when turbo multi is 21x default multi 20x.
    Read the first post about some of the issues with the calculated multiplier. I agree that it is not 100% perfect and never will be.

Turn the logging feature on next time you're testing. Post a minute of your log when you have one of these random drop outs so I can have a look. If the Min value only happened once, then ignore it. If the Calculated Multiplier is consistently lower than 21.000 at full load then you have a problem with Turbo throttling. With a consistent load, random drop outs are very rare.

Post some more details like what OS you're using and what your Minimum processor state is set to if you are using Vista and if you have C1E enabled.

eva2000: Does setting C1E get rid of the 12X multi issue with the DFI / Win7 combo? Is there a Minimum processor state setting in the Power Options of Windows 7 RC1 or did Microsoft change that?
    Last edited by unclewebb; 05-31-2009 at 07:24 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast