Thread: Sourcing a I7 980x.

Sourcing a I7 980x.

As much as i see batch numbers etc thrown around in the overclocking threads. Is there anyway i can be assured im getting a good chip for OC? or do i just order off newegg and hope for the best?

just hope there's no way that the retailer can realistically get the exact product number

Xtreme Member
    just order off newegg if its crap just set it too 1 core 1 thread set 1.9v on air ...... wallah RMA time u get a new cpu hahahahaha, rinse & repeat until u get a good one
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "realy magic isnt card tricks, big cribs and cars b1tch
    its 6 gig vantage full pass without 2v sh1t" Young Pro

PI in the face
    ^this, when they get suspicious use your parents/friends name and address lol
    Quote Originally Posted by L0ud View Post
    So many opinions and so few screenshots

Quote Originally Posted by uncle fester View Post
    just order off newegg if its crap just set it too 1 core 1 thread set 1.9v on air ...... wallah RMA time u get a new cpu hahahahaha, rinse & repeat until u get a good one
    I guess that's one way to do it. But not something i could bring myself to do. Its the southern values in me

Most likely just sell them and buy another till i get a good one.
    Last edited by F3RR3T; 07-28-2010 at 01:31 PM.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Splave View Post
    ^this, when they get suspicious use your parents/friends name and address lol
    lol +1

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Member
    you could try a vendor that will confirm batch numbers for you. Some of the larger retailers wont do this, but the smaller ones will. For example, in the UK, Overclockers and Scan wont, but Novatech and Aria will.....

Xtreme Member
    Probably the best thing would be to try and source the batch numbers as mentioned or to buy second hand. Else its just luck of the draw or the warranty method (also mentioned above)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    lol you shouldn't try 1.9v at air as a method of getting another one.

Just setting it to 1 core 1 thread seems to suffice in vast majority of cases.
    ..:Core i7 870///eVGA P55 Classified///VTX3D Radeon 6970///Asus Xonar D2X///16GB F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL///WD 6400AAKS 640Gb///Samsung F2 EcoGreen 1.5TB///Samsung F4 EcoGreen 2TB///Pioneer DVR 216///Seasonic X-series 850///Corsair Obsidian 800D///Logitech G15 rev.1///Logitech G400@Zowie G-TF Spawn///Philips 240SW:..

..:EK Supreme Acetal///Bitspower Black Freezer EIP55NSC///Magicool Pro III///S-Flex E@7v///Laing DDC-1T w/ EK Plexi top///EK Multioption 150:..

Xtreme Cruncher
    hmm i'm surprised some people are suggesting and condoning what is considered borderline scam to newegg or intel. of course, one of these chips is only pennies to intel and newegg, but not something very ethical on such a high value item for the gain of possibly only a few hundred mhz difference. but then again, OC'ing and ethics haven't been mixing well in recent events.

and i'll apologize if i can't read sarcasm in text haha
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]