Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: LIAN LI PC-A05NB watercooled parts & thoughts

Xtreme Member

New ideas, old thread.

First of all, sorry for resurrecting a thread a year old, but for convenience and background information, I figured using the same thread was best. After all, my old thread and this new like of posts all deal with the same case and my plans for it. Plus it was kind of cool to look back and my ideas progress.

My ideas now are both long term and short term. Short term, I want to immediately get a 120 rad on my CPU. Later on when I have a triple installed for my CPU I can use the 120 rad mounted on my back panel fan to cool my mobo/SB. Because of this future plan, I really think a Swiftech MCR120-QP Res radiator would be perfect because I wouldn't need to worry about trying to stuff a 3rd reservoir into this small case. The extra height of the res portion of the rad will result in it getting mounted to the outside of the back panel, but I am fine if that is all that gets mounted externally.

As for other components, I want a good value socket 775 CPU waterblock that can handle at least a stock Quad core (even though I only have a Pentium D atm). My pump can be stock for now since I'm not overclocking, but I will add one with the next WC parts purchase. As for overclocking in general, I won't be doing that until I get a triple 140 added up top. Knowing the limits of my block with overclocking (assuming enough radiator space) would be nice though.

So, here's the initial list:
    1. Swiftech MCR 120-QP Res radiator
    2. Laing DDC 3.25 Pump
    3. CPU waterblock (775 socket)
    4. 5' tubing
    5. 2x 3/8" DD Fatboy fittings

I can make this all fit my stock A05N easily by just drilling the two holes for the radiator's barbs to pass into the case. I'll probably just borrow a drill to do this. As for where to buy, I'm not sure. I'm not getting any GT fans, so that really helps avoiding out-of-stock items. Finding a store that still sells the MCR120-QP Res will be the main critera. If they have some GT 1450 fans, then that's a bonus. I'm hoping once I find out what's the best (or at least good value) socket 775 CPU waterblock, I can find one on the For Sale section. I won't do eBay - either I find a used on here or I buy new.

Xtreme Member

Mod plans

I have plans to flip the backpanel and mobo to ATX orientation and to then lower the Mobo and IO shield as low as possible. That will give me enough room above the mobo to mount a triple 140 without hitting the RAM slots.

here's a rough Sketchup SS:

Xtreme Member
    Ahhh, my eyes! The default style in SketchUp is a travisty, Window->Styles->Edit and uncheck Profiles, Extension, and Endpoints. Then I'll be a much happier critic

Ok just been up and held my 140.3 up against my brothers A05, and yes by inverting the back panle it ought to fit, just, it'll extend beond the case proper and into the void of the front fasia, and you'll have some problems with the retaining clips for the front fasia (the width of the rad being the problem) but hopefully with a bit of judical fileing you can squeze the rad in there.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by asura View Post
    Ahhh, my eyes! The default style in SketchUp is a travisty, Window->Styles->Edit and uncheck Profiles, Extension, and Endpoints. Then I'll be a much happier critic
    Done, and you're right about those endpoints. All my other models don't have them, but I picked up the white A05N online.
    Quote Originally Posted by asura View Post
    Ok just been up and held my 140.3 up against my brothers A05, and yes by inverting the back panle it ought to fit, just, it'll extend beond the case proper and into the void of the front fasia, and you'll have some problems with the retaining clips for the front fasia (the width of the rad being the problem) but hopefully with a bit of judical fileing you can squeze the rad in there.
    A 140.3 is significantly larger than an SR1 or EK Coolstream XTC. While I'd rather have a PA 140.3, the length difference of those endtanks really makes it not worth the effort in this case (pun intended). The white block in the drawing is in fact the dimensions of an EK Coolstream XTC 420. If it rests on the backpanel, you don't even need to cut out that tab on the front panel above the 5.25 bays. Likewise, if you put one in BTX orientation, you would have to cut above the 5.25 front panel, but not remove PCI slots. The SR1 is similar, but with the price premium, I'm thinking EK's radiator is the best triple 140 for the A05N.

Banned
    Here is a friends

HW LABS Black Ice Stealths, 120.1, 120.2 120.3 in there. He used 20mm thick slim Yate Loons.

Xtreme Member
    I really like that dual color tone. I prefer all black because it helps provide a neutral background to emphasize a case's hardware. Of course, the bandwagon effect going on at the moment with all-black cases ruins that personal preference a little. Anyway, nice mix of classic colors.

Banned
    Purple Candy, hard to photo i belive

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234