Thread: Computer running hot..

Xtreme Member

Computer running hot..

Hi there,
    Need some suggestions to help cool my new computer down a bit. Put it all together on friday, been running a little warm under load but nothing too bad, today is sunny outside so the room is a bit warmer than usuall and whnever i try and stress the computer with games or anything the cpu temperature just keeps on climbing untill i kill the game. I tried reseating the heat sink a couple of times but each time it just seems to get worse...
    Specs are as follows:

Asus M2N-Sli deluxe,
    Amd x2 6000+
    4Gb ram,
    Geforce 7900GS.

Cooling wise i have a Scythe ninja mini with a 92mm Arctic cooling fan on it (cant remember the specs off the top of my head)
    There is a Scythe Kama Bay thing in the front of the case working as an intake,
    and at the back there is the fan that came with the scythe ninja mini as an exhaust.

What is the thermal compund that they give you with the scythe ninja mini? would it be worth cleaning it off and trying some as2?
    i tried useing two high flow 80mm fans on the heatsink aswell in push/pull but temps were still the same, i reacon the heatsink just isnt seated right, heatsink is always cool to the touch :S
    Owen

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hi, there sounds like you need a better cooler as2 lol i belive mx-2 compound is the stuff you want i use a scythe mine cooler and it keeps my quad cool maybe get some 12mm fans good luck man

Xtreme Member
    yeh, sorry, i meant mx-2 lol.. i was getting confused between that and the good ol' Arctic silver..
    I have a 120mm fan in the front as an intake, only space on the back for an 80mm fan. likewise i cant fit a 120mm on the cooler either..
    the reviews i read about the scythe ninja mini all said they would cool this chip fine, i dont have any space for a taller cooler otherwise i would have gone for the mine aswell..
    Also worth noting is that the computer is all at stock clocks... stupid 125tdp processor, might just have to bear with it and upgrade to a cooler runnign processor..

Xtreme Member
    i guess a new case would probably be a good idea... any suggestions?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    depends on your budget ? im useing a good old ARMOR Jr this is it.... http://www.thermaltake.com/product/C.../vc3000bws.asp. although i have modded my case and put a fan in the top also.

Xtreme Member
    i just had a thought.. i know im sposed to try and keep the cpu under 65C.. but is that what each core has to stay under or what the socket temp has to stay under? pc probe obviously reads socket temp and highest i have caught it at is 70C. just installed coretemp and under full load neither of the cores go above 51C, idle both hover around 32C.. is that normall or does it seem to be running hot? :/
    I dont have a huge budget for a new case.. i have the scythe kama bay that i really want to use in the front still, ideall i want a case with 4x 5 1/4" bays (kama bay and dvd r/w) dosnt need to have any 3 1/2" bays internall or externall as my hard drive is in a silencer behind the kama bay. and then a 120mm rear fan and an intake low down at the front (to help with gfx and nb temps) would be perfect i think, my goals with this pc are to try and make it as quiet as possible (its in the living room, use it for watching films, playing games, etc)
    Owen

Xtreme Member
    i should mention i have the cool 'n quiet thing turned on, so when its idle it turns vcore and frequency down.. q-fan will be turned back on aswell after im sure it isnt trying to cook itself.. just paranoid as i cant really afford to replace it all again at the moment..lol

Xtreme Member
    Since you already tried reseating multiple times, you might want to try a bigger cooler such as a Xigmatek S1283 or a Scythe Mugen II.

_
    You could put a second 92mm fan for a Push/pull configuration. This could drop the temp around 4*c.

Xtreme Member
    Scythe Kama bay has a very weak fan. Change it to a Sflex E or F of another 1400-1600 rpm with 50-70 cfm fan. Your case may be air starved
    LianLi PC a10, Asus Blitz formula, Q 6600 (Batch L726B447, B0, VID 1.200,) @ 3600 (450x8) Vcore bios 1.38125(stress 1.34), LLC Enbl, 4 GB Corsair PC2 6400 Pro @ 450/900 1:1,WD Raptor 150 x2 RAID 0, WD 500gb data drive, EVGA GTX 8800, Xigmatek HDT RS 1283, Enermax infinity 720W.

Xtreme Member
    cant fit a taller cooler in, temps were the same with both side pannels off, i think the room was just too hot, cooled down a bit in here last night and today and seems to be running muych better
    getting 31/32c idle (cool n quiet clocks it down to 1Ghz and 1.1Vcore idle) and 49/50C full load according to coretemp, still too hot?
    Owen

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by khamo View Post
    Scythe Kama bay has a very weak fan. Change it to a Sflex E or F of another 1400-1600 rpm with 50-70 cfm fan. Your case may be air starved
    i was already thinkign of giving up on all these stupid quiet low cfm fans and putting some more gutsy ones in. if i turn q-fan on the motherboard will spin them right down when they arnt needed anyway. also i was thinking of hacking the back of the case up a bit so i can fit a 92mm fan in there, been looking and should JUST work...
    Owen

Xtreme Enthusiast
    sounds like a good plan wheather it drops ya temps anymore is anthor thing. cable management good inside ya case? bigger case i reckon really.

Xtreme Member
    yep, cables are all bneatly out of the way..
    what are normal temperatures fot this cpu? i just managed to lower them a LITTLE.. i turned "cool n quiet" off as it wasnt really doing anythign for me temps wise and turned the vcore down to 1.325 from 1.350... just testing to make sure its still stable but idle temps are the same as before and load tops out 48/49c on the cores now... i honestly dont think thats bad seeing as ambient is 22c and im useign air?? :/

EDIT: seems a little low the temps do to me actualyl thinking about it.. core temp is only 10C above ambient at idle.... 27C above ambient under load...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Blergo those temps seem ok i think! although im running quad core my idles 37 load 65c your load temps are pritty good i reckon m8 good job really. anything over 65c in my opinion is rather HOT! any help mate pm me ok

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Blergo View Post
    yep, cables are all bneatly out of the way..
    what are normal temperatures fot this cpu? i just managed to lower them a LITTLE.. i turned "cool n quiet" off as it wasnt really doing anythign for me temps wise and turned the vcore down to 1.325 from 1.350... just testing to make sure its still stable but idle temps are the same as before and load tops out 48/49c on the cores now... i honestly dont think thats bad seeing as ambient is 22c and im useign air?? :/

EDIT: seems a little low the temps do to me actualyl thinking about it.. core temp is only 10C above ambient at idle.... 27C above ambient under load...
    just so you know you got good results turning voltage down

ambient will be much the same and voltages, which is why they dont matter so much, your temps seem fine, i'd worry more about the core temps then socket temp as well so its all good
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James