Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 Memory Hits 2533MHz, Sets World Record for DDR3 Frequency

Xtreme Addict
    I just want they to be available in retail and not being VAPORWARE like the other 2000+ low timing kits being talked over here.

SB Rig:
    | CPU: 2600K (L040B313T) | Cooling: H100 with 2x AP29 | Motherboard: Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3
    | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 | Video: MSI gtx570 TF III
    | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB fw009 | HDDs: 2x GP 2TB, 2x Samsung F4 2TB
    | Audio: Cantatis Overture & Denon D7000 headphones | Case: Lian-Li T60 bench table
    | PSU: Seasonic X650 | Display: Samsung 2693HM 25,5"
    | OS: Windows7 Ultimate x64 SP1

+Fanless Music Rig: | E5200 @0.9V

+General surfing PC on sale | E8400 @4Ghz

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    i really regret that companies are so involved in overclocking their hardware these days... i prefered it when they didnt even know people were ocing and tweaking their products that much and it was mostly luck of the draw of finding a nice clocking chip, and it was about skill and not just about deep wallets and good relations to the big manufacturers...
    One sec.. using EinsteinIRC to contact The Past ...

<XmX_2009AD> yO! I'm a reporter from the future. What's your opinion on Quantum Force mobos and OC ?

<saaya_QF/Foxconn_2008AD> THEY IZ TEH RULZ!!!! HON HAI .. HON HAI .. HON HAI !!
    <saaya_QF/Foxconn_2008AD> Best OC is Corporate OC Cha-Ching

<XmX_2009AD> c00, man.. way c00.. btw, grab this dcc.. it's a future Blackops BIOS releaZ - will save you dudes plenty of headaches.

XmX

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by XmikeX View Post
    One sec.. using EinsteinIRC to contact The Past ...

<XmX_2009AD> yO! I'm a reporter from the future. What's your opinion on Quantum Force mobos and OC ?

<saaya_QF/Foxconn_2008AD> THEY IZ TEH RULZ!!!! HON HAI .. HON HAI .. HON HAI !!
    <saaya_QF/Foxconn_2008AD> Best OC is Corporate OC Cha-Ching

<XmX_2009AD> c00, man.. way c00.. btw, grab this dcc.. it's a future Blackops BIOS releaZ - will save you dudes plenty of headaches.

XmX
    you missed my point, entirely...
    companies beeing involved in overclocking isnt the problem, we need their support to be able to overclock and tweak our hardware.
    those very same corporations spreading handpicked hardware is the problem, and actually not even that, its that they try to keep it secret and make it look like its a normal off the shelf mass production unit...

how was quantum force ever involved in handpicked hardware? whatsoever?

Xtreme Member
    companies beeing involved in overclocking isnt the problem, we need their support to be able to overclock and tweak our hardware.
    those very same corporations spreading handpicked hardware is the problem, and actually not even that, its that they try to keep it secret and make it look like its a normal off the shelf mass production unit...

how was quantum force ever involved in handpicked hardware? whatsoever?
    Your absolutely right Saaya, what is the point in advertising or showing off something that the comsumer cannot buy. Even with a guide from Corsair in know way is any body going to be able to achieve anything close to what Bachus has done with that specially binned RAM. He knows this which is probably why he never replied when you made this point the other day in this very thread.

Instead of making unrealistic overclocks, maybe Bachus could do a guide on how to push these RETAIL ram sticks to the limit of what they can do at the safe voltage of 1.65, i for one would appreciate it.

Xtreme Member
    i really regret that companies are so involved in overclocking their hardware these days... i prefered it when they didnt even know people were ocing and tweaking their products that much and it was mostly luck of the draw of finding a nice clocking chip, and it was about skill and not just about deep wallets and good relations to the big manufacturers...
    ......and you ignored -my- point, completely...

That is, you complain about corporations getting their dirty hands into holy enthusiast realms, but that same corporate drive is what provided employment at cellshock and foxconn.... is it not?

As you well know, corps are simply following the money.

You decided to work in this scene, so I shall assume you were following the money as well.

Why are you complaining?

XmX
    Last edited by XmikeX; 05-23-2009 at 06:49 AM.

Xtreme Member
    ......and you ignored -my- point, completely...

That is, you complain about corporations getting their dirty hands into holy enthusiast realms, but that same corporate drive is what provided employment at cellshock and foxconn.... is it not?

You decided to work in this scene, so I shall assume you were following the money as well.

Why are you complaining?

XmX
    I think you're confused or simply arguing for the sake of arguing... Why are you suggesting he's a hypocrite? His beef seems to revolve around corps where an infinitesimal selection of uber handpicked products only go to the "pros" or those with connections. IMHO, that kind of flies in the face of what XS and overclocking in general entails. Skill + luck, you take luck out of the equation and the game itself no longer has the same appeal. Those massive frequencies are an illusion, contrived marketing B$, and no one else within the greater community will be able to compete.

"The problem with designing something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."

Xtreme X.I.P.
    you complain about corporations getting their dirty hands into holy enthusiast realms
    where did i say that?
    overclocking without manufacturer support would not only be 10x more dificult, it would even be close to possible. intel keeps trying to lock or limit overclocking and end users dont have the skills and tools and access to docs that are needed to work around it. i explained my point several times and obviously everybody else seems to get it, so you seem to just hear what you want to hear no matter what i say.

your seeing things black and white, supporting overclockers doesnt mean handpicking hardware for them and then using them as a marketing tool.

theres nothing wrong with showing off the best you got and can do, but making it look like its average off the shelf retail hardware is wrong!

and i dont get why anyone would even try to do it, its bound to backfire sooner or later... the marketing impact you get when showing off handpicked hardware and clearly saying it is handpicked hardware, and not retail, compared to claiming it is retail hardware is about the same... either way people will remember the company name and product name in a positive way. if you deceive them youll get bad feedback from the ones in the know and the doubts in your brand and companies credibility will grow and grow.

but that same corporate drive is what provided employment at cellshock and foxconn.... is it not?
    so that means as soon as i decided to work for a hardware manufacturer i basically sold out? is that what your saying? you completely disregard what i actually did there and how i worked with them, so your basically claiming as soon as anyone works for any company, he sells his ideals and bends over to the company? you must feel very bad about your own job if thats what your impression of working for a company is, and i actually pity you for such a statement...

yes, but you make it sound like there is no way to make money in a decent way without misleading the customers and selling out your ideals. thats not true, again, if thats the impression you got working at your company, you might wanna try another one...

pfff, money had nothing to do with it, i got the same salary as at cellshock...
    i took the job cause i was curious to venture into asia, work with shamino, build up a new product range and continue working with enthusiasts from around the world, beeing able to actually influence a product more than at cellshock, which was just binning and every now and then a heatspreader design...

Why are you complaining?
    XmX
    im not complaining about cellshock or foxconn, im thankful for giving me the chance to be part of really cool projects they worked on.

im complaining about companies tempting people to sell out by giving them super handpicked products and asking them to show off without mentioning that they are super handpicked.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTelstar View Post
    I just want they to be available in retail and not being VAPORWARE like the other 2000+ low timing kits being talked over here.
    RealTelstar,
    As a matter of fact, Dominator 2000C7GT has been available, however from the very beginning, we decided to offer it exclusively through Corsair Online Store. First batch which was offered early February sold off almost instantly, and we've had a tremendous demand for this part since then, much higher than we anticipated. Therefore we increased the stock and now anyone should be able to purchase it.
    Other Dominator GT memory products (2000C8 and 1866C7) are distributed throughout the channel, and should be available from various e-tailers. I don't think we will move 2000C7GT into the channel anytime soon, though.

Quote Originally Posted by azza21 View Post
    Your absolutely right Saaya, what is the point in advertising or showing off something that the comsumer cannot buy. Even with a guide from Corsair in know way is any body going to be able to achieve anything close to what Bachus has done with that specially binned RAM. He knows this which is probably why he never replied when you made this point the other day in this very thread.
    azza21,
    Again, I'd like to stress, that 2000C7GT is already heavily binned to meet rigorous 1.65V spec. And I also noted in my thread in XB section, that naturally higher than 1.65V was used for this experiment. As I mentioned earlier, as I anticipated some backlash, for this experiment also one of the retail kits was used.
    Instead of making unrealistic overclocks, maybe Bachus could do a guide on how to push these RETAIL ram sticks to the limit of what they can do at the safe voltage of 1.65, i for one would appreciate it.
    This experiment was part of some tests that I've been doing for a while now on overclocking performance at stock voltage and also how 2000C7GT responds to increased VDIMM, in an environment which attempts to limit bottleneck caused by Core i7 platform itself. We all know that part of the success for DDR3 overclocking beyond 3ch DDR3-2000 on Core i7 is strength of Uncore. To operate at 4GHz (DDR3-2000 x 2) is no easy task for a lot of Core i7 processors, and I understand that, especially at room temperature. Just as Corsair needs to carefully and painstakingly bin 2000C7GT for 1.65V, you need a matching high quality CPU that can handle it. I can tell you that I went through the same problems as you and others may have experienced, and my conclusion is that about 75-80% of CPUs out there may not be able to handle 2000C7GT at room temperature. But we estimated that there are still about 20% of those that can, took a chance and offered 2000C7GT. We do operate at the cutting edge, but that's what makes 2000C7GT so exciting - at least that's my take

Believe me, there is HUGE overclocking potential in retail 2000C7GT...
    Last edited by bachus_anonym; 05-23-2009 at 12:06 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    lets say you have stable 2000C7Gt memory and a 2.66 ghz Core i7

are you saying you couldn't clock the Core i7 up to4ghz with this memory? even if the cpu clocked stably up to 4ghz with say 1600C7GT

???

I don't physically have an i7 so i'm just clarifying stuff for later when I make the move into i7

even earlier today before even reading this thread I decided I wanted 1866C7GT i'm just wondering if this would somehow limit my overclocking potential on the cpu chip itself

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by orangekiwii View Post
    lets say you have stable 2000C7Gt memory and a 2.66 ghz Core i7

are you saying you couldn't clock the Core i7 up to4ghz with this memory? even if the cpu clocked stably up to 4ghz with say 1600C7GT???
    The 4GHz was in reference to frequency of Uncore, which is part of Core i7 architecture which houses IMC (Integrated Memory Controller), QPI links and L3 caches. On Core i7, Uncore operates at minimum 2x DDR memory frequency, therefore in DDR3-2000 requires Uncore to be capable of operating at 4000MHz. Not all Core i7 processors can reliably handle this when conventional CPU cooling methods are employed.
    Last edited by bachus_anonym; 05-23-2009 at 04:54 PM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by bachus_anonym View Post
    Believe me, there is HUGE overclocking potential in retail 2000C7GT...
    then why dont you show off the retail stuff and instead handpick a golden kit from a lot of already handpicked sticks?

at least give people an idea of what they can expect, like, an average 2000c7 kit should clock around 100mhz lower, 200mhz lower, 50mhz lower, will need .5v more to reach those speeds than the kit i used, .1v, .2v...

all you did was post huge results, without mentioning how heavily handpicked that particular set of mem is, without mentioning even how much vdimm you used, without giving any reference to how retail kits perform compared to that whatsoever...

all your showing off atm is that you used your access to shedloads of memory to handpick a golden kit for yourself and how well it performs... but without relating this to retail products in ANY way, how does that help anybody in any way and why should anybody care?
    all we can say is "good for you! "

youll probably hate me for saying this, if you dont do so already :P

do you remember how you criticized onepagebook when he worked for gskill and you didnt work for corsair yet? he posted results that were far beyond retail kits, and he never clearly said if and how handpicked those kits were and made a lot of vague comments, not mentioning all the settings he used. rings a bell? you were one of the people poking him for that, and now what? your doing the same thing he did... showing off far beyond retail results, making vague comments, not posting the full details of how you got those results...

you used to be one of the most contributing members of xs, and now you barely show up anymore unless its time to show off some results for corsair... i really hope you focus more on actually contributing instead of showing off in future...

Xtreme X.I.P.
    saaya,

I'm sorry, but I will need to start ignoring some of your posts if you don't read my a little bit more more carefully
    I already mentioned it twice, here and the thread in XB - that THIS IS retail kit, factory-screened only to meet production spec at 1.65V. Nothing more... And no, I have not gone through mountain load of kits to pick one godly performer. Whether you believe it or not, it's your call...

I also mentioned in other thread that voltage used is below 2.10V, but definitely higher that 1.65V. That should be enough within ballpark, shouldn't it? That I don't say exactly if it's 1.95V or 2.05V, what difference does it make? Most people will say it's outrageous anyway The point is, there IS huge potential in 2000C7GT, if limiting factors are removed, incl. VDIMM for CL7/CL6 clocks and IMC limitations. Also, CPUVTT used was, as I mentioned there, up to 1.70V...

As to contributing more in the past, and less now... Well, I'd like to, but I simply can't afford anymore. My job takes a lot of my time, much more that just 8 hours, and I still need some life after that. To be honest, outside work stuff I don't tinker with hardware much more. I simply can't. Things do sometimes when you choose to turn your hobby into a full time job. I love what I do now, and like to share the results of it when I can. Since I work for Corsair and always been playing with RAM, it's quite obvious that I will be here talking about and using Corsair memory only.
    Last edited by bachus_anonym; 05-24-2009 at 01:23 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    bachus_anonym
    could you tell me what exactly goes in to binning ic's

Xtreme X.I.P.
    THIS IS retail kit
    if i buy 100 retail kits and one of them does way better than the rest, that kit is still a retail kit... or is it?

I have not gone through mountain load of kits to pick one godly performer.
    then how many did you go through? this is just a random kit? any retail kit will clock like this?
    then the results you show here are nothing special?
    oddly enough, they are, and far beyond anything else somebody managed to reach with those kits. sorry, but you must understand that this is rather hard to believe right?

I also mentioned in other thread that voltage used is below 2.10V, but definitely higher that 1.65V. That should be enough within ballpark, shouldn't it? That I don't say exactly if it's 1.95V or 2.05V, what difference does it make? Most people will say it's outrageous anyway The point is, there IS huge potential in 2000C7GT, if limiting factors are removed, incl. VDIMM for CL7/CL6 clocks and IMC limitations. Also, CPUVTT used was, as I mentioned there, up to 1.70V...
    outrageous? 2.1v vdimm on ddr3? 1.7v vtt?

As to contributing more in the past, and less now... Well, I'd like to, but I simply can't afford anymore.
    how about instead of showing off nice scores that you achieved without sharing your settings, you 1. share your settings, all of it, and 2. help others to reach similar results.

barely takes extra time if at all, actually contributes to the community and as a bi-product of all that, the results will be more credible than you pulling it off hidden in a corsair lab.

when are we gonna say it ok to go over 1.65?
    Threadripper X1950
    MSI X399 GAMING PRO CARBON
    PCPOWER&COOLING 950@one solid rail.
    NOCTUA
    Windows 10
    CRUNCHIN'EM FOR XS

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Its been ok to go over 1.65V for a while.

My worry is that as we push things towards the 0.5v vDIMM/vQPI difference.....can we trust the voltages the BIOS is telling us we are supplying?

Thats moborelated though, not RAM so a topic for another thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    can we trust the voltages the BIOS is telling us we are supplying?
    nevarrr...

its been getting better and better, but ill always check voltages with a dmm, always... people are way too trustworthy with everest/cpuz/speedfan etc and bios reported settings and voltages these days...

Xtreme Member
    nevarrr...

its been getting better and better, but ill always check voltages with a dmm, always... people are way too trustworthy with everest/cpuz/speedfan etc and bios reported settings and voltages these days...
    What is dmm? Heh i always thught the bios voltages were the most accurate source. I always go by them.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    digital multimeter, and no, bios voltages arent accurate, they arent meant to be accuracte from the hwmonitor chips to begin with, they dont measure in fine details and have a rather low refresh rate. most board makers only connect the voltage rails to the sensors of the hwmonitor SOMEHOW so it can read them at all, and if they are slightly off, they adjust them with offsets, ie always add +50mv to this reading etc.

the best way to meassure a voltage is arguably as close to the chip that uses it as possibly.
    i always meassure vdimm in the dimm slot or on the mem module, vtt on the back of the cpu socket, same for vcore...

the reason why mainboard engineers usually dont connect the hwmonitor chips there is cause they are affraid it might cause a problem with the feedback loop to the pwm or add emi... but mostly they just dont think it matters to have 100% exact readings... another problem is grounding, if you use a delocalized chip to meassure voltages you have one ground for all reading points, but ground isnt ground, you should always use the ground spot as close to the voltage spot your reading as possible, ideally the one from the same circuit if you know which one that is. so that makes accurate voltage reading through the bios and hence any windows tool pretty much impossible... well, that depends on what you define as accurate :P

i recommend going by dmm readings... always...

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by billdavis View Post
    could you tell me what exactly goes in to binning ic's
    I don't think that my bosses would like me to specifically discuss the subject of binning methods for our Dominator 2000C7GT. Therefore, please understand that I will not be able satisfy your curiosity in this subject
    if i buy 100 retail kits and one of them does way better than the rest, that kit is still a retail kit... or is it?
    then how many did you go through? this is just a random kit? any retail kit will clock like this?
    then the results you show here are nothing special?
    oddly enough, they are, and far beyond anything else somebody managed to reach with those kits. sorry, but you must understand that this is rather hard to believe right?
    outrageous? 2.1v vdimm on ddr3? 1.7v vtt?
    how about instead of showing off nice scores that you achieved without sharing your settings, you 1. share your settings, all of it, and 2. help others to reach similar results.
    barely takes extra time if at all, actually contributes to the community and as a bi-product of all that, the results will be more credible than you pulling it off hidden in a corsair lab.
    I'm sorry, but I will argue with you some other time. I don't want to be sucked into the argument which never ends, is kept up just for the sake of arguing, which you seem to enjoy. Any more answers I might give you, no matter how honest, will not be enough and won't convince you anyway, and would possibly only fuel your need for confrontation even more. Just drop it, please...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12