Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Xtreme Phase Change Insulation Guide

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by psyco™ View Post
    When the rubber eraser gets to the ice cold temps does it not
    become fragile or brittle?
    I have not found the eraser brand that I used gets fragile or brittle. It actually works very well.

With a SS Phase or even Cascade operation it will get cold and perhpas a little frosty but you can still pull off the eraser very easy.

Even on LN2 use the brand that I showed holds up very well, even after many uses.

Xtreme Member
    Just wanted to say thanks for the Guide. I have SS coming and this was just what I needed.
    "Behold, I am Funkadelic. I am not of your world. But fear me not, I will do you no harm. Loan me your funky mind and I shall play with it. For nothing is good unless you play with it. And all that is good, is nasty!"
    ("What Is Soul," Funkadelic, 1969)

Xtreme Member
    how are u going two insulate it wen u have chilld water cooling?
    love what you do make who you are

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cooling storm View Post
    how are u going two insulate it wen u have chilld water cooling?
    Good question, I assume you would start the same way as I do but would have to fully insulate the water block and hoses. Look around in the chilled water section, I have seen some pic's of different setups there.

Xtreme Member
    ok thanks!
    love what you do make who you are

Xtreme Addict
    Hey Buck is it really that easy to take the 1156 socket apart?
    //RETIRED-o00o--°(_)°--o00o-OVERCLOCKER//

Administrator
    Yeah was just a couple screws that holds everything in place. Just be careful when doing that, bent pins can mess up your day

I do not do that, but I have heard that some do so I just did it to show how that might work.

I need to update some of that stuff as I do things a little different now.

Is this ok for a 24/7 setup or is that not possible with phase change cooling?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by H3llS1ck™ View Post
    Is this ok for a 24/7 setup or is that not possible with phase change cooling?
    depends on where you live, i ran a 24/7 setup with eraser for about 8 months and it worked fine.
    i9-10900k@5.3ghz//MSI MEG z490 Unify//32GB Gskill TridentZ b.die@DDR4666//RTX 2080ti(+150/+700) kingpin bios//Samsung 970 Pro//Corsair AX1200i
    Custom Loop: Dual DDCs->Dual EK XE360 w/GT's -> HK IV CPU -> HK IV GPU ->EK X3 Res controlled by Aquaero 6

Quote Originally Posted by Circaflex View Post
    depends on where you live, i ran a 24/7 setup with eraser for about 8 months and it worked fine.
    Hows where you live effect it?

Xtreme Member
    Dew point and humidity I expect.
    Great guide, seriously amazing source of info.

Xtreme Member
    Hi Buckeye . I'm a bit board these days with room temperature water cooling so I am looking to do some Phase cooling . Your post was very helpful on showing me how and what is needed to prep the mother board and install the Evap. Just started looking hard into doing this so thanks again that was very helpful , much appreciate it !
    Room Temp H20 | sdumper 2 Stage Cascade ( 4-Sale Mint ! ) | i7 975 ES / R2E rev12 v1504 | PH II X6 1090T BE / CH4 v905 | Dominator 2000GT CL8 6gb | Asus GTX 580 X2 SLI | Corsair HX1000 1210w | WD VR Raid 3+0 ( 450gb )

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by pcnazz View Post
    Hi Buckeye . I'm a bit board these days with room temperature water cooling so I am looking to do some Phase cooling . Your post was very helpful on showing me how and what is needed to prep the mother board and install the Evap. Just started looking hard into doing this so thanks again that was very helpful , much appreciate it !
    np and glad you found it helpful

Good luck with your Phase cooling work !

Xtreme Member
    Buckeye ? Are you still using the same brand art eraser ? I'm picking up all my prep supplies now and will have the Cyro-z in about two weeks . I am doing your way you show in detail for prepping my 24/7 usage .
    Last edited by pcnazz; 05-18-2010 at 09:21 AM.
    Room Temp H20 | sdumper 2 Stage Cascade ( 4-Sale Mint ! ) | i7 975 ES / R2E rev12 v1504 | PH II X6 1090T BE / CH4 v905 | Dominator 2000GT CL8 6gb | Asus GTX 580 X2 SLI | Corsair HX1000 1210w | WD VR Raid 3+0 ( 450gb )

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by biglipzit View Post
    I also add a heating pad behind the socket, whether I do LN2 or phase. Think it helps with 24/7 also. I would never touch dielectric grease again. That stuff is soooooooooo horrible. Get's everywhere and on everything. Really nice writeup. Great job on it! Also I know a lot of people fill the first memory slot with eraser also. With LN2 that is necessary as it gets frosted up pretty but, single stages will be fine I guess but with a powerful cascade it may frost it. Can anyone confirm?
    Hi ya biglipzit . I have a Cyro-Z hitting here Friday . I was going to skip the heating pad on back of mb , I thought it would effect my cpu cooling . Is this true or will it have zero effect on my cpu temps ? This will be a 24/7 install . Excuse my double post gang .

XIP
    Quote Originally Posted by pcnazz View Post
    Hi ya biglipzit . I have a Cyro-Z hitting here Friday . I was going to skip the heating pad on back of mb
    Back board heater pad imo is really important for 24/7 phase operation. I'm always use it

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumo View Post
    Back board heater pad imo is really important for 24/7 phase operation. I'm always use it
    It will give slightly higher temps though , correct Dumo with using one ? If not I will incorporate the heat pad in my prep installations .

XIP
    My hardwares always change, but basic cooling still the same unmoded Mach II GT and Vapo LS. I use Mach II's back heater and seal string, Vapo's socket pad and Duniek's Evap mounting. No dielectric grease on the socket

Most of the time rig run avg. 15 hours daily w/out condensation problem in winter or summer (east coast)

Always important when turning on phase is to wait until evap temp. reached (almost) -25/30 C, so all moisture in around socket will freez...then boot up. Leaving the system idle @ stock speed for long period of time also a bad call, especially w/out heat pad
    Last edited by Dumo; 05-26-2010 at 11:24 PM.

XIP
    Quote Originally Posted by biglipzit View Post
    with a powerful cascade it may frost it. Can anyone confirm?
    Got it run for extended period...http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...8&postcount=56

Always important when turning on phase is to wait until evap temp. reached (almost) -25/30 C, so all moisture in around socket will freez...then boot up. Leaving the system idle @ stock speed for long period of time also a bad call, especially w/out heat pad
    So for 24/7 phase installs would it be a good idea to run Folding@Home SMP client all the time? So the CPU is busy? Does the newest F@H client use all 6 cores on an i7 980X?

Xtreme Member
    My hardwares always change, but basic cooling still the same unmoded Mach II GT and Vapo LS. I use Mach II's back heater and seal string, Vapo's socket pad and Duniek's Evap mounting. No dielectric grease on the socket

Most of the time rig run avg. 15 hours daily w/out condensation problem in winter or summer (east coast)

Okay Dumo , this will change my prep plan a bit for back of mb , np , I will go with heat pad . Thanks for the imput . Should be here today or Friday at latest . I went with USP because of how bad Fed ex and UPS handle there packages . Let you know how I make out .

HAHahahaa

RFLMAO!

Guys, I've been running 24/7 for 2 years without any issues in Phase. I did however do the Vasoline bath method on my socket which does two things for me. 1. Gives me Peace of mind, when the dewpoint here does go up. and 2. helps prevent pin rotting. very easy clean up for RMA purposes using the same hairdryer you used to apply it with the edge of the motherboard on top of a paper towel as a wick. Low heat setting, for those thinking about it!
    ASUS Rampage Extreme IV on bios 4802
    Core i7 4930K . 4.8ghz 24/7
    Corsair Dominator Platinum GT 16GB
    EVGA 77 ACX X2
    Lian Li custom 300w phase change cooling
    Lian Li V2000 case @ -43c
    Thermaltake 1200W modular PSU
    Samsung 840 Pro 250 gb
    Intel 160gd SSD X25
    WD 500gb, WD 1TB drive
    Windows 8.1 pro

Xtreme Member
    weel done
    GOOC 2010 FR: #2

Xtreme Member
    I used Buckeye's prep thread here for my go to first subzero ss ph mb prep guide , he did a very nice job on this thread . Since then I found some personal tweaks to my prep work that work really well . One area I want to cover is on Intel platforms , there mb sockets are very very delicate compared to AMD . What I do with them now is I do not use the socket holddown hardware that locks the cpu in the socket . Reason is the holdown really compresses the erraser to much and I found it can get erraer in the socket area which is time consumming at best to clean . Anyone else that goes without the Intel socket cpu holdown please check in with your thoughts . I have a few other tweaks to my prep as well that later I will add . Thanks again Buckeye for your detailed prep thread , it helped me on my first go around with subzero !

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    I never remove the socket retention hardware. Have fun trying to straighten the pins when you pull the CPU from the socket at an angle due to the CPU being stuck to the evaporator. I did it once one LGA775 I learned my lesson.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast