Thread: Need help: Antispam software ?

Moral Police

Need help: Antispam software ?

Ok so basically, I'm in need of a spamfilter on my computer.

My Host where I run my websites off and my domain for e-mail, has decided he did away with the free spamfiltering serverside and tried to make people pay for a spamfilter.

Now I don't like to pay for something like that, it should be included in the package (so don't worry i'm changing hosters when the time comes).

In the meantime though, I'm stuck with roughly 90 spammails a day, on a account I use for "work", for family for.... for a LOT of things, and the spam is killing me.

So I am looking to Xs to aid me out in finding a proper spamfilter. I was thinking of using spamfighter, but the free version sends a mail to EVERYONE you add to the safe list advertising itsself, and adds a message at the bottom of every mail going "this mail has been checked by spamfighter, download us at........"

both of those "things" it does I utterly despise (Sorry I don't want you to go whore yourself out to my entire contact list, nor do I wish to have footnotes added without me knowing about it and deciding whats in there)

So, to get to the point, can you guys pretty please with a cherry on top, point me in the direction of:

- Spamfilter (local based) compatible with Outlook 2007
    - does NOT whore itsself out to everyone
    - does NOT add footnotes whoring itsself out
    - is freeware or opensource... whatever you wish.

Thanks in advance if your able to help me out guys

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Forward email to gmail temporarily? I believe gmail will filter the spam until you can get onto a better server. Not versed at all in antispam software, sorry.

Xtreme Legend
    cloudmark desktop is by far the best desktop anti spam software. it's not free but worth every cent

YouTube Addict
    Thunderbird Which is a competitor for outlook does provides such mechanisms (not to mention is open source and free)
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Moral Police
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step View Post
    Thunderbird Which is a competitor for outlook does provides such mechanisms (not to mention is open source and free)

yhea, but as far as I know (its been a while since I used thunderbird) it doesn't allow for microsoft Exchange connectivity does it?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Entity_Razer View Post
    yhea, but as far as I know (its been a while since I used thunderbird) it doesn't allow for microsoft Exchange connectivity does it?
    Nope, it doesn't.

Attack Dachshund
    ahem..

http://www.microsoft.com/protect/you...mail/spam.mspx

http://www.adamsdvds.co.uk/blog/word...-outlook-2007/

How To Configure The Junk Mail Filter In Outlook 2007

As we all know junk mail (spam) these days is a very serious and annoying problem for every person that uses and email account of any kind. We are getting better all the time in creating software that can detect such mails and block them, however there is always going to be some that get though and this is where your Junk Mail Filter comes in. You can help configure your Junk Mail Filter to keep out that annoying spam.

Open Outlook 2007

Click Tools

Click Options…

You are now displayed with the Options window, in the Preferences tab (where you should be by default) Click Junk E-mail…

Now I’m going to take you though each tab on the Junk E-mail Options window starting with the Options tab.

Options Tab
    On the top half of this tab you will have four levels of protection for Junk Mail they are displayed below:

1. No Automatic Filtering: This is the least protection that you can set on Outlook 2007, This means that all emails received will be classes as safe and sent to your inbox (unless you have otherwise told Outlook to send specific emails to the junk mail folder).

2. Low: This is not much better than the above as only the most blatant junk emails will be sent to your junk folder. (Again if you have an email on the blocked senders list, they will be sent to your junk mail folder either way).

3. High: This will catch most junk mail that comes in but can also class emails that are not junk as spam and send them to your Junk Mail folder, therefore if you do use this setting I suggest you check your Junk Mail folder from time to time to be on the safe side. ( if there is a legitimate email in your junk, just right click the email Select Junk E-mail and then Add Sender to Safe Senders List.)

4. Safe Lists Only: This is the most intensive protection level of them all, only emails from people you have added to your Safe Senders List will be received in your Inbox everybody else will automatically be sent straight to your Junk Mail (Consider Carefully before choosing this option).

Now Below the four Levels of protection you have four Check boxes:

1. Permanently delete suspected Junk e-mail instead of moving it to the Junk E-mail folder: This is not something I would recommend you using EVER, because computers simply make mistakes and you could delete a very important email.

2. Disable Links and other functionality in phishing messages: As it says below this in the window Recommended, I will completely agree with this.

3. Warn me about suspicious domain names in email addresses: This is also good practice to keep active.

4. When sending email, postmark the message to help email clients distinguish regular email from junk email: As long as you are not sending out Bulk emails to a great number of recipients then I would leave this option checked, it’s another tool to help fight the war on spam.

Safe Senders Tab
    This is just as it sounds, a list of email addresses that you refer to as SAFE. Any emails in this list will be sent to your inbox because Outlook will consider them safe.

To Add an email to the safe list:

Click Add…

Type in the Email address and click OK.

To Edit or Remove an email in the list First highlight the email you wish to remove/edit and Click either Edit… or Remove on the right.

You can also Import From File… or Export to File (A list of email Addresses you consider safe) to a File or from a file. To do this simply click either Import/Export and find the file containing the list if you are importing or choose a name for the file you are exporting.

The two Check boxes are the bottom of the Safe Senders Tab.

1. Also Trust E-mail from my contacts: If this option is check then anyone you have in your contacts even though they may not be on the list will also be considered safe and come straight though to your inbox.

2. Automatically add people I E-mail to the Safe Senders List: This is an option you need to decide for yourself depending on who you email.

Safe Recipients Tab
    Similar to Safe Senders only difference is: E-Mail sent to addresses or domain Names on your Safe Recipients List will never be treated as junk e-mail

Blocked Senders Tab
    Again much the same to Safe Senders (used in the same way) only this time to block email addresses. Any address that you add in here will automatically be sent to your Junk Mail folder.

International Tab
    This gives you two options the first being Blocked Top-Level Domain lists… Which will block emails from specific countries/regions based on the top level domain. Basically if you wish to block emails from United Kingdom (just for example) you will check the box that says GB (United Kingdom) then click Ok.

The Second Option is Block Encodings List... This will block encodings from being sent to your Inbox, be careful which you check here, as with the above option I would only play about with these if you have reasons to do so.

That covers Junk E-mail options in Outlook 2007, I hope after reading this tutorial (Advice Article) you will configure your Outlook to receive much less spam in your inbox than before.