Page 1 of 28 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: OCZ 8500 Low-Voltage Blade

OCZ Low-Voltage Blade ( Ex 8500 Review Thread )

OCZ PC2-8500 Low Voltage Blade Series

Introduction

Many of you may have seen Tony's thread in the AMD section where he introduced this memory to the public for the first time. The first shipment of this new item came to Germany and has been available from one retailer for about 2 weeks now. Since this is one of the first times that an item is available in Germany before you could get it somewhere else, I thought I should write a small review and share my findings with you. The kit is using some new ICs that should be able to show some impressive frequencies for 4GB kits, so stay tuned.
    I got this memory 2 days ago and I had a busy weekend, I will add more and more results when I get them. One thing to note is that I will be testing on a 32bit XP, I know that's not optimal for a 4GB kit but it's the only OS I have.

This is my first review so please bare with me, but also say what you liked or didn't like. I'm also open to suggestions on what I should test.

The Memory

The memory comes in a small plastic package and we can already see the typical black PCB and black heatspreader. Inside the box we find a quick installation guide and, of course, the memory. As mentioned they feature a black aluminium heatsink, consisting of two parts screwed together. The memory sticks are very heavy and the quality of the heatspreader is admirable. To be honest, I expected nothing less from my first OCZ kit.
    After I installed them, I booted up and checked if they functioned correctly. Everything was working fine, but I noticed that the stick's SPD was programmed to PC2-8900 or 555MHz CL5-5-5-18.

The box and the labels say it's 533MHz memory, so I hope Tony can shed some light on what happened during assembly.

No pictures for now, I was so eager to test them I didn't take the time to take some pictures. I will show some pictures later on.

Specifications

Here are the specifications that can be found on OCZ's site.
    Code:
    1066MHz DDR2       
    CL 5-5-5-18       
    Available in 4GB (2x2048MB)Dual Channel Optimized Kits       
    Unbuffered       
    1.80 Volts       
    1.85V EVP*       
    240 Pin DIMM       
    Pure Aluminum Heatsink       
    OCZ Lifetime Warranty

Part Numbers
    4GB (2x2048MB) D/C Kit PN - OCZ2B1066LV4GK
    Test setup

Code:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8600
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P w/ F9 retail BIOS
    2x2GB OCZ 8500 Low-Voltage Blade
    Geforce 8800 GT 512MB
    Western Digital 160GB HDD
    Thermaltake Toughpower 750W
    Windows XP Professional SP3 32bit

Cooling: TRUE Black on CPU, board on stock cooling
    Testing procedure

Now unto the tests!

Testing procedure will be as follows: The sticks are tested with MemSet 86+ before entering Windows and then I will show screens after testing the frequency with 5 passes of Intel BurnTest. This will ensure that the results are comparable to 24/7 stability, as those sticks aren't targeted at hardcore-benchers but rather at people wanting a decent overclock for a long time without the use of excessive volts. I will test different timing sets going from CL4 to CL6, using a voltage ranging from 1.80V to 1.86V for now, later on I will test what I can get with "high" voltages up to ~1.93V, as that should be the limit according to Tony. I skip CL3 testing as I regard it as irrelevant, and when you see my CL4-3-3-12 results you will understand why.

Tests

For the tests please look at the next posts in this thread, there are results coming up next week.

Price and Availability

The memory is available from the German retailer Alternate in different countries across Europe.
    There are two versions you can get right now:
    On the one hand, the XTC Platinum LV for a price of ~73€, and on the other hand the kit I'm testing here, the Blade Series LV for a price of ~65€.
    Both sets are in stock and ready to be shipped.

Conclusion

From the testing I have done I can clearly say, that OCZ has a winner with this kit. For an everyday user's point of view, it has everything you could ever wish for. It's extremely flexible and can operate at up to 500MHz at CL4, which is great for a 2x2GB kit, on the other hand you can also clock up your dual core's FSB to more than 600MHz with this memory kit still running strong on the 1:1 divider at CL5, up to almost 620MHz.
    For those looking for HTPC memory that might do their rated specs at lower voltage, this is definitely a kit to check out. I was able to run their rated speed of 533MHz 5-5-5-15 at 1.60V (real) on my Gigabyte EP45-UD3P.
    From a bencher's perspective, these aren't that great however. Their disability to run tight subtimings and the fact that you can't clock your FSB to extremely high speeds while running this kit is a clear drawback. I'm afraid we'll still have to stick with our D9-based memory.

Everything summed up I'll definitely recommend this kit to anyone looking for a fast and reliable solution for their everyday rig, especially if you like to overclock your rig once in a while.

Small update after almost two years of use: This kit is still going strong in my 24/7 rig, most of the time I've been using it undervolted to 1.60V and running at 500MHz CL5. I've never encountered instability or other problems. This kit has been a great purchase back in 2009, and if you bought a set back then as well, I hope you're still as happy with your kit as I'm with mine. Thanks again for following my review and the many views and posts that this thread has seen.
    Last edited by Don_Dan; 03-25-2011 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    You can never have enough D9's.

Undervolting test

As my first test I wanted to know how far I could lower VDIMM on stock speed while still ensuring stability. My UD3P allows undervolting of the RAM, but it has only limited options of 1.80V, 1.75V, 1.65V, 1.55V and 1.50V. I used Everest to monitor actual VDIMM in Windows, and when setting voltages above standard DDR2 voltage, the monitored volts are actually pretty close to what you set in BIOS. However when I went below, Everest reported 1.75V as 1.71V already.
    I've already PMed Hicookie if he knows how accurate Everest's readings are and also if Gigabyte's BIOS team can add some new steps in between the existing ones. That would help me testing this memory very much.

Now, when I saw my final result ( for now ) for the first time, I was shocked:

The Blades operating at 533MHz CL5 at only 1.60V/1.65V BIOS set, passing Linpack testing.
    Last edited by Don_Dan; 05-17-2009 at 01:25 PM.

Overclocking Tests CL4

4-3-3-12:

1.80V
    -

1.82V
    -

1.84V
    -

1.86V
    -

1.88V
    -

1.90V
    -

I wasn't able to get the kit Memtest 86+ or Linpack stable at 400MHz, so I didn't bother testing tight timings any further. That's why I skipped CL3 testing, it's irrelevant today in my opinion and this kit won't perform well on tight timings too. I might have gotten stability with a tRCD of 4, but I don't know for sure.

4-4-4-12:

1.80V

1.82V

1.84V

1.86V

1.88V

1.90V

This is what I was able to do up to now, 460MHz CL4 on 1.80V is amazing.
    Scaling with higher voltages doesn't look that good, but I was able to break the magic DDR2-1000 nonetheless.

4-5-5-15:

1.80V

1.82V

1.84V

1.86V

1.88V

1.90V

I skipped this for now, to test CL5. Will be done later!
    Last edited by Don_Dan; 05-21-2009 at 09:34 AM.

Overclocking tests CL5

CL5-4-4-15:

1.80V

1.82V

1.84V

1.86V

1.88V

1.90V

CL5-5-5-18:

1.80V

1.82V

1.84V

1.86V

1.88V

1.90V

We can see that this kit is only scaling a little on voltage, at 1.80V it's already running at 587MHz, while it needs 1.87V to break 600MHz ( only verified with MemTest, no screen, sorry ), and at 1.90V it tops out at 619MHz. This speed was verified with the usual MemTest run before booting, but I only used 32M to show stability in Windows since I got bored from watching IBT for days.

CL5-6-6-18:

1.80V

1.82V

1.84V

1.86V

1.88V

1.90V

They aren't scaling with raised tRCD and tRP at all, also switching tCL to 6 didn't do anything for the max clocks at 1.90V. Not even running 6-7-7-20 would make the kit break the 620MHz wall. I think ~620MHz is the maximum this kit can achieve under these circumstances.
    Last edited by Don_Dan; 03-25-2011 at 02:38 PM.

Reserved 4

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Looking forward to this, if they get the pricing right in the UK, these are going to storm the DDR2 market, not a lot would be able to compete.

Xtreme Member
    wow the stats looks awesome and even the pics of that RAM looks hot..

Xtreme Cruncher
    oh i wish i could find these in the U.S now.

MY HEATWARE 76-0-0

Xtreme Member
    nice looking kit. what ICs do they use?

Nice kit u have there m8,could u show us what this kit can do with tight subtiimings?
    Overclockers wannabe livadeia dept.
    DFi x48-T2RS dk
    8400 E0(thanx unseen)@4.15/1.22 wc
    2*2 Mushkin 1066
    4850 wc
    enermax 400W

Xtreme Addict
    Looking forward to results! Still looking for that stock Newegg has shipped to show up on the site
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz+ 8GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 6 Asus P8P67 Pro CrossFire 6970's @ 950/1450
    Xeon X5677 @ 4.5Ghz 6GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 7 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 4870x2
    i7-880 @ 4.2Ghz+ (still playing) 4GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @2300Mhz CAS 9 Asus Maximus III Formula MSI Hawk 5770

the jedi master
    Quote Originally Posted by EliTE22 View Post
    nice looking kit. what ICs do they use?
    Does it matter?
    Got a problem with your OCZ product....?
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Tuning PC's for speed...Run whats fast, not what you think is fast

Xtreme Member
    yes it does. If the sticks, by any chance, are micron based, then the sticks wil be a no-go for me. Other guys may have othere reasons for asking for the ICs. So what ICs do the sticks use?

Why 1.93V is the limit? Will they degrade while using higher voltage or just no OC gain? What's the story with the wrong SPD?

DON_DAN - is standard retail kit purchased by you or perhaps you got it from an OCZ representative for testing?
    Last edited by mach82; 05-18-2009 at 03:30 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mach82 View Post
    yes it does. If the sticks, by any chance, are micron based, then the sticks wil be a no-go for me. Other guys may have othere reasons for asking for the ICs. So what ICs do the sticks use? Why 1.93V is the limit? Will they degrade while using higher voltage or just no OC gain?
    In another thread Tony suggested that nothing is gained past ~1.9v other than heat.

@Tony: Yes, to many of us it DOES matter what ICs they use. Partially out of curiosity but also for those of us (especially DDR2 diehards) that like to chase "that great deal" or find the hidden gems...it helps to know

I can understand your reluctance to divulge that info, in case there be other brands releasing sticks based on the same ICs
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz+ 8GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 6 Asus P8P67 Pro CrossFire 6970's @ 950/1450
    Xeon X5677 @ 4.5Ghz 6GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 7 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 4870x2
    i7-880 @ 4.2Ghz+ (still playing) 4GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @2300Mhz CAS 9 Asus Maximus III Formula MSI Hawk 5770

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by radaja View Post
    same for europe. better in italy
    goodbye my dear ut p35, i'll love you forever

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mach82 View Post
    yes it does. If the sticks, by any chance, are micron based, then the sticks wil be a no-go for me. Other guys may have othere reasons for asking for the ICs. So what ICs do the sticks use?

Why 1.93V is the limit? Will they degrade while using higher voltage or just no OC gain? What's the story with the wrong SPD?

DON_DAN - is standard retail kit purchased by you or perhaps you got it from an OCZ representative for testing?
    i think that if they have no gain in freq or timings with more than 1.93v, chip is not micron. micron ones like volts
    goodbye my dear ut p35, i'll love you forever

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So what ICs are used thehe?
    An unfortunate person is one tries to fart but sh1ts instead...

My Water Cooling Case Build (closed)

Xtreme Member
    Forney,TX where Dallas ends and living begins.
    Quote Originally Posted by radaja View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/OCZ2B1066LV4GK.../ref=de_a_smtd

Mine are ordered.

-
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=643273
    Do you fold?

SuperPi 1M 10.984s @ 4.25GHz
    Cool Blue
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Rev 1.1
    E8400 E0 @ 4.1 GHz
    Zalmann 9500
    2x2GB GSkill 9600 5-5-5-15 1212 MHz 2.1v PL8
    9600GSO (I'm a folder, not a gamer)
    Corsair VX550 80Plus
    WD 500GB SATA3
    Antec 900

Xtreme Cruncher
    are those the platinum's?picture shows blades but it says platinum.im kind of confused.i want the blades.

MY HEATWARE 76-0-0

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The part number is for the blades so I guessing there the blades. I am wanting a set of the 9600s if the price is right.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/aboutocz/press/2009/339
    Q9650

Dave's Mentor!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hu13caP View Post
    So what ICs are used thehe?
    my gut tells me its ddr3

maximus IV extreme gtx580
    gigabut p67-ud7
    p67 sabertooth
    2500k+2600k
    antec 1200watt
    EVGA classified 760
    920 Batch# 3849B018 4.985ghz@1.52v gtx285 ftw sli
    OCZ3RPR1866LV6GK hypers
    dfi ut p35 rampage extreme
    gigabut p35c-ds3r bios suks
    gigabut x38-d6q dead thank god
    ballistix 8500 1240mhz@2.02v

the jedi master
    me telling you what manufacturer part for these modules just gives any OCZ competitor an easy time...so i will not be telling you.

We have started marking blank IC's OCZ because of this...you guys are your own worst enemy.

Its not Micron and i won't comment any further on what they are...someone decides to rip off a spreader thats upto them, if it rips off the IC's also.. tough ..don't come for an RMA.
    Got a problem with your OCZ product....?
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Tuning PC's for speed...Run whats fast, not what you think is fast

Xtreme Addict
    I guess its simply better manufacturing process similar to DDR3. Which logicaly allows so low voltage (in fact identical to DDR3, right?). They scale in same ratio as DDR3 1.6 - 1.95V. My guess is Elpida or Samsung, probably Samsung.. but its only guess. I don't know if Micron is even making new DDR2 chips.. I think I've read somewhere that they produce only DDR3 now.

Take all of these just as my opinion and guess. I can be wrong.
    i7 930 D0 - 4,2 GHz + Megashadow
    3x4GB Crucial 1600MHz CL8
    Foxconn Bloodrage rev. 1.1 - P09
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    SeaGate ES.2 1TB + 1TB External SeaGate
    Corsair HX 850W (its GOLD man!)
    ASUS STX + Sennheiser HD 555 (tape mod)

Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    me telling you what manufacturer part for these modules just gives any OCZ competitor an easy time...so i will not be telling you.

We have started marking blank IC's OCZ because of this...you guys are your own worst enemy.

Its not Micron and i won't comment any further on what they are...someone decides to rip off a spreader thats upto them, if it rips off the IC's also.. tough ..don't come for an RMA.
    Ha! I guessed right, so its 99% Samsung.

We are not own "worst" enemy, we simply want to know what we buy.

I wonder, if TeamGroup doesn't have problem with telling us what chips they use, why you have?

All manufacturers of high-end rams use same chips, only difference is usually PCB (which sometimes use definetly more than one manufacturer ). And SPD ofc. Which is one part where OCZ usually shines.

We want to know ICs from few reasons, here they are:

1) compatibility (try Micron on 790i )
    2) overclockability/voltage scaling
    3) price/perf ratio which can be expected

I buy my rams only when I know what am I buying. Well, if I don't have bad day as I had last time (bought G.Skill NQ 1600 CL9 .. worst memory I bought ever).

Btw. not telling us ICs/chips will cause only one thing.. 1) disappointed customers will send memory back (I did that last time I bought Crucials) 2) enthusiasts will buy other brand, where they can discover what chips it uses.

So think about what you are doing, cause competeting manufacturers aren't your worst enemies.. customers are.
    i7 930 D0 - 4,2 GHz + Megashadow
    3x4GB Crucial 1600MHz CL8
    Foxconn Bloodrage rev. 1.1 - P09
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    SeaGate ES.2 1TB + 1TB External SeaGate
    Corsair HX 850W (its GOLD man!)
    ASUS STX + Sennheiser HD 555 (tape mod)

Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Because others get to know what IC's you use, so they can compete, and we get lower prices on better mems? Don't see how that makes us our own enemies.
    I KNOW MASSMAN DISLIKES YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by saaya
    yo yo... man, you gotta lose the beard... you look like a drunk :P
    Competition ranking: Better than the danes in everything I've ever entered.

Page 1 of 28 123411 ... LastLast