Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Joining World Community Grid the easy way

_

Post Joining World Community Grid the easy way

First I would like to say to all the new crunchers out there. This guide was made to help new people join the Distributed Computing project World Community Grid, or WCG, and the BEST team in the world, XTREME SYSTEMS. This guide involves signing up for an account at the World Community Grid (WCG) website. Then, you download and install a client application on your machine. This client is known as BOINC (Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing). The goal of WCG is to help cure diseases and other world problems using your unused CPU cycles. I sincerely hope you will join us on this team and hope this guide helps you do it.

Just follow the arrows and text boxes. If you need help feel free to PM me.
    This guide is mainly intended for XP and Vista, but I have a note below to help out MAC and Linux users. Don't let that stop you from getting your WCG account setup....

OK, so here we go. Start out by going to the WCG home page here.

Following the pics and instructions below,
    You should see this;

We will install the BOINC client at a later time. Let's finish getting your WCG account set up. We'll keep going on the web page side of things.

OK, now at this point, you have configured the WCG web account side of things and joined our team. You can log off and exit the page. Don't forget your user name and password! To get back on, just go to the WCG page and log on.

Next we will install the BOINC client we downloaded earlier. Navigate over to where you downloaded it and run it.

IMPORTANT NOTE for those running 64 bit systems. The client we downloaded is the 32 bit version. While this will run, the 64 bit version is proven to be a better producer (about 10% better). You can get this version, and other versions right from the Berkley site here. Note you can also get MAC OS and Linux here too. Let me know if you run Linux. I can ask a few of our XS Linux gurus to come on over and help get you going. Crunching on Linux works very well.

Here we go...

A few notes on the next screenie. We do not install with the default of running the screen saver at this time. Later we can look at it for the neat 3D modeling picture, but not now. I have a note on this at the bottom of the guide.
    We run the protected app execution to allow BOINC to run without being logged on. This allows work to still be done if your power bumped or your machine hiccuped and reset. If you DON'T check this box, you will have to log on in order for BOINC to be allowed to run.
    EDIT: Another note on the protected app box. If you are planning on running GPUGrid on this machine, the box must be UNCHECKED in order for GPUGrid to run. At the time of this edit, GPUGrid won't run with the box checked. GPUGrid is a totally separate project from WCG that runs mostly on your nVidia GPU card. If you are NOT planning on running it, check the box. If you change your mind later, you must do a re-install. No real biggie, but just be aware of it. :END EDIT
    Finally, the "allow all users" allows BOINC to run no matter who is on the machine. That way, a particular profile won't disable your crunching.

After a few moments it will tell you it successfully attached, and start doing work. The "simple" view screen will show this.

The very first tip I will suggest is that you click "advanced view" on the client screen. This will get you more efficient production since your machine won't waste time producing the cool graphic. That is also why we don't run the screen saver when we installed.

Here's what the advanced view looks like. This screenie is from one of forum members with dual X5492's. It's able to crunch 8 work units at the same time. It is water cooled, and is a demon at producing work...

Since the graphics look really cool and actually show the 3D crunching simulation taking place, by all means check it out until you get bored with it. Then turn it off to save those cycles for actually doing the work. The graphic is very useful when your friends, family, or chicks look at you funny when you say you're working on cancer cures. It's kind of neat and will exponentially raise your "geek esteem" in the eyes of others... The BOINC screen saver can be selected under your normal "display settings" in your control panel.

I sincerely hope you will join us on this team and hope this guide helps you do it.

TIPS for extra PPD

Go to Advanced>Preferences and change the CPU time to 100% (This will increase how many WU's you do a day).
    Computer clock - Make sure your OS has the correct time and date. BOINC uses the computer clock to determine whether your work units have passed the designated deadline. If, for example, your clock is off by a year, BOINC will think all your WU's are no longer valid because they missed the deadline.
    Running a 64bit OS with 64bit BOINC will increase your PPD by ~10%.

To show support for the team put this in your signature!
    PHP Code:
    [CENTER]:up:[url=http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3793940&postcount=1]Help Save Lives Join World Community Grid!:up:[/url][/CENTER] 

To ensure your computer always has work to do increase the number of cached WUs.

Also, don't let your CPU have all the fun. Join GPUGrid here.
    If there is anything that I forgot to add just tell me.
    Thanks to 123Bob,Gamekiller, Jaco, xsbb,sierra_bound, MovieMan and PoppaGeek.
    Last edited by Angmaar; 08-16-2010 at 10:46 AM. Reason: V2 (Added XS Team Join Pics)

Xtreme Cruncher
    This needs to be Stickied please.

_
    That would be awesome if it was stickied!
    Last edited by Angmaar; 11-23-2009 at 04:31 PM.

Xtreme Member
    I just signed up, thought it was about time i donated some cpu time to folding again and the d2ol forum seems dead so thought i'd give you guys a hand! dont think i have ever had this laptop running 100% load on both cores yet, its flakey at the best of times so fingers crossed it lives untill the shinney bits i ordered to fix my pc arrive Very good guide by the way, made it all so easy
    Owen

_
    Thank you! And a big to the team.
    Don't be ashamed with only your laptop running, I started crunching WCG on a 1.33ghz iBook G4. Every little bit counts!

Xtreme Member
    cheers,
    its not a bad laptop really, intel T5300 cpu, 2Gb ram, just for some reason not as fast as id like. got amd x2 6000+ and some other bits n pieces on the way to replace my old p4 rig though so give me a couple of weeks and that will be folding away aswell. Free electricity in this flat, only problem is space otherwise id have as many rigs going as i could like i did when i still lived with my dad..lol
    Owen

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Blergo View Post
    I just signed up, thought it was about time i donated some cpu time to folding again and the d2ol forum seems dead so thought i'd give you guys a hand! dont think i have ever had this laptop running 100% load on both cores yet, its flakey at the best of times so fingers crossed it lives untill the shinney bits i ordered to fix my pc arrive Very good guide by the way, made it all so easy
    Owen

Great to have ya on board!

of the Strawhat crew.
    Welcome to the team, Blergo! Any amount of power is plenty but I'm sure you'll want to be adding more. Crunching for a cure (or any other answer) is highly addictive!

To save space you could use your rigs in creative ways... such as make them into furniture... beds, tables, chairs... you name it! (Of course I'm joking.. maybe.)

XtremeSystems BF3 Platoon - Any XS member is welcome.

_
    I used to use a old Dell P4 as a chair.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    Welcome to the team, Blergo! Any amount of power is plenty but I'm sure you'll want to be adding more. Crunching for a cure (or any other answer) is highly addictive!

To save space you could use your rigs in creative ways... such as make them into furniture... beds, tables, chairs... you name it! (Of course I'm joking.. maybe.)
    lol.. you say that.. but i already do that with the vivariums, i thinkt he only real furniture we have is a sofa, a bed and a chest of drawers.. lol
    Owen

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    sticking this now. Nice work!
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

XS WCG Hamster Herder
    Nice job. It should make joining easy....

Welcome to the new folks too!! Good to have you on board.

Bob
    If You ain't Crunching, you ain't Xtreme enough. Go Here
    Help cure CANCER, MS, AIDS, and other diseases.
    ....and don't let your GPU sit there bored...Crunch or Fold on it!!
    Go Here, Or Here

Never go full retard
    Please, please, please check the box for "Protected Application Execution" on the Customize Installation Options screen!!!

XS WCG Hamster Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    Please, please, please check the box for "Protected Application Execution" on the Customize Installation Options screen!!!
    Interesting...I just installed the 64 bit version of 6.6.28 on one of the farm rigs to check this out. I see the box in question. I've never checked it....

Here's a Pic of the full warning.

From what it says, could you fold, or crunch GPUGrid, if you checked it?? I do both now, in addition to CPU crunching.... (And yes, some of my PSUs are not liking it.....F' em....)

Regards,
    Bob
    Go Here, Or Here

_
    Thanks for the "Stickey" everyone! (I fixed the Protected Application Execution thing BTW)
    Last edited by Angmaar; 05-18-2009 at 02:57 AM.

Never go full retard
    @hotwax -

@Bob - The Protected Application Execution allows the BOINC tasks to run under a service account, so you do not need to be logged in for WU's to crunch. I'm not sure about the folding and crunching combination...I haven't tried it.

Xtreme Addict
    Does this use the power of my gpu? If not, is ther any other that i can sign for that uses gpu only?

Just signed for xs team, got a phenom 940 running 3.4ghz. Got free electrisity for 2months so its on almost 24/7

_
    Gpu grid can use your GPU (if its nvidia) theres an XS team for GPUgrid too.

Attack Dachshund
    Thanks for the easy guide hotwaxisbad..

The folding SMP client has given me some fits lately with logmein remote and win7 64, so I finally caved and switched my 2 Q6600's cpu's over to WCG this morning... and it cured my logmein issues in win7.

your guide made the switchover a snap.
    Last edited by MikeB12; 05-20-2009 at 02:42 AM.

_
    to the team MikeB12! I'm glad this was an easy guide to follow.

XS WCG Hamster Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    @hotwax -

@Bob - The Protected Application Execution allows the BOINC tasks to run under a service account, so you do not need to be logged in for WU's to crunch. I'm not sure about the folding and crunching combination...I haven't tried it.
    Thx for the tip Skinnee. I have to go through my whole farm and upgrade to 6.6.28. While I'm at it, I'll check the protected app box on all of them.

I did some follow on testing on one machine. I fold and crunch on that machine. I installed 6.6.28 on the machine with the box checked. Now the rig shows up and runs on my other boincview machine monitoring the farm, without being logged on. Yippee!! Now if the machines reset, they will at least crunch when they come up to the log-on screen. They won't fold, since that requires the log-on, but at least they will crunch.

As to the question of having this box checked while folding, I found that everything still works fine. F@H runs as well as BOINC. So I'm good to check the box all over the place.

Thx Skinnee,
    Bob
    Go Here, Or Here

WCG Cruncher
    Here's a clip from the WCG website: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/wb/viewInfoAll.do
    Thought this would be an appropriate addition to this thread.

World Community Grid's Achievements to Date

In just a few short years, World Community Grid has brought us much closer to finding cures for cancer, HIV/AIDS and many life-threatening diseases. It also is providing information that can help alleviate world hunger and find answers to global environmental challenges.

Here are some of our latest achievements:

* Through the 'Help Defeat Cancer' project , World Community Grid helped accelerate research that enables scientists to diagnose and analyse cancer tumors with much greater accuracy. This research was completed in 2 years; using conventional methods, the project would have taken 162 years.
    * The AfricanClimate@Home project used World Community Grid to improve regional climate models in order to make better projections about what effects a changing climate will have in Africa. With this knowledge, policy makers can make better decisions on agriculture and water resources that might alleviate the adverse effects or better prepare for oncoming extreme events like droughts or floods.
    * Scientists have now mapped 90% of the Human Proteome, thanks to World Community Grid. This knowledge will help in the development of new and more effective drugs and treatments for a range of human diseases.
    * Researchers for the FightAIDS@Home project have completed 5 years of research in just 6 months. They are now working with chemists to design advanced drugs to treat the devastating disease.

Your Security and Privacy

All of the work accomplished by World Community Grid is completely dependent upon the safe participation of our members. Without you, we would not exist. That's why we make every effort to keep both the software and our server systems secure.

Our security measures include: virus scanning all of our build environments, digitally signing information, advanced encryption of files, and biometric access control to World Community Grid servers. IBM, which sponsors and hosts World Community Grid, also conducts thorough security reviews, including engaging 'Ethical Hackers' to ensure that the entire system is secure.

Here are some more important facts:

* World Community Grid's software has been safely downloaded onto over one million computers, which have completed 197,276 years of scientific research.
    * The software, called BOINC, was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. It is also used by other organizations to advance research in many areas of science such as SETI (the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence).
    * The software will not damage your systems or invade your privacy in any way. It runs unobtrusively in your computer's background and is not invasive.
    * The software does not scan or change any other files or material on your machine.
    * Your e-mail is recorded only in case you forget your password and need to retrieve it.
    * No personally identifiable information is required to run World Community Grid's software.
    * Your information is never shared with any company or organization outside World Community Grid.
    * World Community Grid will never send you unsolicited emails.

It's Easy To Volunteer

Installation of World Community Grid's software is easy and straightforward, taking less than 3 minutes of your time.

Once you have downloaded the software, you will see a small icon on your desktop and a screensaver. That's it: your computer is now part of World Community Grid!

The software is open-platform, which means that it can work on any computer system: Mac, PC or Linux.

Here are some more important facts:

* World Community Grid will not slow down the speed of your computer.

You should see little or no difference in the speed of your computer. World Community Grid is designed not to interrupt any other work that is being done. You can even set the software to run like a screen saver and only start working when your computer is completely idle.

* You can choose the specific projects you would like to support.

Your PC's idle time can be focused on one project you care about, or it can go toward all of the research running on World Community Grid. You decide what is important to you.

* You will receive updates with details on your contribution.

You will get regular updates on your statistics, documenting exactly how much computer time you have donated, and how many computations or work tasks you've completed and returned to World Community Grid.

* You can join teams and meet other volunteers with similar interests.

World Community Grid enables you to create or join teams and participate in robust forums where you can ask questions or learn more information on scientific research.

* World Community Grid software has no function other than to further scientific research.

World Community Grid software is dedicated to processing data sent from scientific research projects. It will not scan your files or interact with your computer in any other way, so you can be assured of its legitimacy as a research tool.

Distributed Computing: Making the world a better place, one work-unit at a time.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/index.jsp

I am Xtreme
    Hey guys, for some reason, when I downloaded the client, I did not get the choice to select Protected Application Execution. Is there an alternative way to select this within the client?
    Lian-Li Armorsuit PC-P80
    Asus P6T Deluxe w/ OC Palm| TFC X-Changer 360 x2
    Intel i7 965 Extreme Edition | Swiftech Apogee GTZ
    Asus GTX 295 x 2 (Quad-SLi) | Koolance VID-NX295 x 2
    Velociraptor 300GB | Swiftech MCP655 Pump x 2
    G.SKILL PI Black 6GB | EK 250ml Reservoir
    Tygon 7/16 Tubing | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050w Fully Sleeved

XS WCG Hamster Herder
    Yup, on the screen in question, the options are all grayed out when you start. You have to click, IIRC, a box called "advanced" in the lower right corner of the screen. This will allow you to change the setting on the check boxes.

If you did not do this, it's probably not a big huge deal if you don't want to re-install. You will likely be updating to a new version sometime down the road. You can click it then
    Go Here, Or Here

Xtreme Legend
    That went fairly well ....Good work on the guide even I could follow it

Is it normal for cpu use to be up and down like a whores drawers? I'm used to fah locking it at 100% using xp on this rig (q6600@3.3) by the way

Thought I'd ask before I switch on the Fah GPU so nothing is masked

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast