Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What happened to XS?

Xtreme Addict

Unhappy What happened to XS?

I remember back when I joined this place years ago... the atmosphere was more friendly, people were nice and helpful...

Now there are way more members who troll, don't respect the differences in other members, try to suck other members into arguments, make back handed comments, or just sh*t on other people's posts.

I've been posting less and less over the past couple years because of this, because every time I start a thread someone starts something with me and no one does anything about it.

What... did overclockers run out of room for a$$holes and now they're all overflowing into here?

Why isn't the staff taking an aggressive stance against this? Why aren't you doing anything?

I like this place, I really do... but I don't like what's happening to it. This happens everytime I find a nice community. Something eventually rots it from the inside or a bunch of jerks take it over and no one stands up and does anything about it.

Is the staff going to do anything about this... or just let it continue?

I'm curious about what other long time members think about what I've just said...

Just so we're clear. I'm not trying to start a fight, and I will not respond to any trolls in this thread. I love this place, but I don't like the direction its gone. I really want to see something done, because I really do feel that this is a problem.
    Last edited by Judaeus Apella; 05-15-2009 at 03:22 PM.
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Dave's Mentor!
    are you sure you over 18
    you are seriously wasting bandwidth here cryin all the time
    admin got better things to do then to protect your fragile feelings
    seeing that you run a site dedicated to freaks you should be alot tougher

maximus IV extreme gtx580
    gigabut p67-ud7
    p67 sabertooth
    2500k+2600k
    antec 1200watt
    EVGA classified 760
    920 Batch# 3849B018 4.985ghz@1.52v gtx285 ftw sli
    OCZ3RPR1866LV6GK hypers
    dfi ut p35 rampage extreme
    gigabut p35c-ds3r bios suks
    gigabut x38-d6q dead thank god
    ballistix 8500 1240mhz@2.02v

Xtreme Addict
    I would like to use the post above me as evidence. Notice the insults and lack of respect for other members. Also notice the ignorance and small minded pettiness, and the belief that if someone dresses or acts different than what is considered "normal", that makes them a freak and they deserve to be treated badly. This is only one small example of the trolls in this community. Why are people like him allowed to stay here? I don't understand....
    Last edited by Judaeus Apella; 05-15-2009 at 04:40 PM.
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Judaeus Apella View Post
    I would like to use the post above me as evidence. Notice the insults and lack of respect for other members. Also notice the small minded pettiness and the belief that if someone is goth, that makes them less of a person and they deserve to be treated badly. This is only one small example of the trolls in this community. Why are people like him allowed to stay here? I don't understand....
    +.5

That being said, I can somewhat understand his position. A (seemingly unprovoked) rant about how enthusiast forums degrade over time due to a rise in the number of what some may call small-minded members is bound to hurt some feelings in the community. Some may not like how XS is run, others do. Those that like it (like your friend up there) will naturally take offense to your position.

Every community has its share of noobs, fanboys, and flamers (wording? >_>). And as much as I'd like to agree with you on this, XS caters to such a wide audience of people that it's going to be impossible to please everyone - differing opinions, arguments, and flaming (yes, often for no reason) are bound to happen and it's up to everyone who sees such behavior to either put up with it to stay as a contributing member or leave for what will hopefully be greener pastures.

And yeah, sometimes the WC section makes me angry.

• i7 920 D0 // eVGA X58 SLI // 12GB G.Skill Ripjaws // HD6950 (6970 BIOS)
    • Apogee XT // MCP655 // Thermochill PA120.3 // CM HAF 932
    • OCZ Vertex 3 MI edition // ASUS Xonar DX // Corsair TX850
    • HTC Incredible - Uber Kingdom Revolution ROM

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'd say it started when overclocking started to really take off, and other tech oriented websites started to get very popular. When I joined here in 2005, I would say over clocking was popular, but not anywhere near the extent of it now, where your average 14 year old probably has at least heard of it.

There is also the fact that at some point people actually realized that they are not actually face to face with a person they are talking too, ushering in a whole new group of "keyboard warriors"
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Enthusiast
    This forum has always come across as a little bit elitist.

Almost any new user is going to ask a question that will lead to an answer along the lines of "how dare you ask that here" or "read the stickies" with some kind of snarky emoticon.

I don't think this particular forum is slipping faster than any other one though. Things are getting worse everywhere that I frequent including our own forum.

The internet is a very unique social setting. It's absolutely fascinating how different people act on the internet versus in real life. I'm quite different when I post on a forum or I'm hanging out in a chat room. For example, my moods are always amplified on the internet versus in real life. I'll say things I wouldn't normally say, and many others are like this too.

Either way, buck up. Develop a thicker skin about internet interactions. Ultimately if the person on the other end of the "series of tubes" doesn't care what you think of them (ie that they are an A-hole) then why should you care what they think of you? Be nice to the people who deserve respect and ignore the ones who don't. For that matter, just start putting people on your ignore list. I do it all the time. That way you can take control of your own user experience.

edit: "elitist" has a very negative connotation, and it does describe the attitude here in some ways, but let's face it, this community has some of the best overclockers in the world. You either deal with the few bad eggs and enjoy the wealth of knowledge that is here, or you can go hang out at [H]
    Last edited by LinusTech; 05-15-2009 at 05:18 PM.
    Please note: I am not here to provide any kind of official NCIX support on these forums.

For faster (and official) service please contact me at Linus@ncix.com, or please contact our customer care team at wvvw.NCIX.com (Canada) or wvvw.NCIXUS.com (America)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647

Xtreme Guru
    A simple hint for every1, just stay objective in your posting, that's what I do to avoid offending & flamebaiting and keeping it friendly.
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

Xtreme Legend
    I would like to use the post above me as evidence. Notice the insults and lack of respect for other members. Also notice the ignorance and small minded pettiness, and the belief that if someone dresses or acts different than what is considered "normal", that makes them a freak and they deserve to be treated badly. This is only one small example of the trolls in this community. Why are people like him allowed to stay here? I don't understand....
    yeah i agree
    that guy is one of the biggest trolls here
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks for your thoughts, but I strongly disagree with some of you. You can have a discussion or disagree with someone without acting like a total a$$shole. I can't even start a topic in this forum without someone bashing me, attacking me, taking a big steamy dump on my thread, trying hard to lure me into an argument, or making some nasty back handed comment. This never happened to me back in the day. Members were actually civilized back then, and there was a HELL of a lot more respect going around.

I think older members just slowly got used to this problem and newer members started taking over, but I have no tolerance for the way they're acting (which is why I'm a good admin on other sites). As a community, we shouldn't allow that kind of thing to sneak its way in... but sure enough it happened.

What I don't understand is why no one is doing anything about it. I haven't made much of a stink about it because I was hoping you'd all eventually just get sick of it.... but I don't see anything happening.
    Last edited by Judaeus Apella; 05-15-2009 at 05:27 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    A lot of the threads in the news section are a mess.

I now read them to just get enjoyment from the flaming/insults and wars between fanboys.
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ Intel i7 3770k
    ░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░ ASUS GTX680
    ░░░░░░█░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▀▀▄░░░░░ ASUS Maximun V Gene
    ░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░█░░░░ Mushkin 8GB Blackline
    ░░░░█░░░░░░▄██▀▄▄░░░░░▄▄▄░░░█░░░░ Crucial M4 256GB
    ░░░▀▒▄▄▄▒░█▀▀▀▀▄▄█░░░██▄▄█░░░█░░░ Hitachi Deskstar 2TB x2
    ░░█▒█▒▄░▀▄▄▄▀░░░░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒█░░ FSP 750W Gold
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ Fractal Arc Mini

Xtreme Addict
    You see guys? Don't you want a community where you can be part of a friendly conversation or start a thread without someone insulting you less than a minute after you post it?

I try to ignore the rotten apples... I gave up fighting them because they would pull me down to their level and beat me with experience

Really, I don't know what to do about it
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    Ummm ban them? That's what I do on other sites and servers. If they troll around, they're gone. I have a zero tolerance policy for trolls. You can't change someone, and the only option is to show them the door out if they can't act like a civilized person. They should know better, and if they don't then I don't want them around ruining it for everyone else.

WCG Cruncher
    Don't you want a community where you can be part of a friendly conversation or start a thread without someone insulting you less than a minute after you post it?
    Come to the World Community Grid (WCG) subforum here at XS. You might have to donate a few of your unused cpu cycles though...

Distributed Computing: Making the world a better place, one work-unit at a time.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/index.jsp

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    When I came here in Nov 2005 there were app 30-33,000 members.. 1/3 of what is listed today. With that growth you also get more trolls and malcontents.
    People that are vocal and they have a greater impact than their numbers would seem to show.
    The "vocal minority" for lack of a better way to say it.
    The staff tries to deal with them but that is also a double edged sword.
    Deal with them with too heavy a hand and the next thing you know we're being called fascists and demigods.
    Deal with them too easily and we're being said to ignoring them.
    We handle on a case by case basis looking at exactly what was said.
    Also remember that all of the staff are volunteers who also have lives.
    We do the best we can and try to be fair to all.
    There is also something that most here don't see. The spammers. I'd guess I personally have banned over 1000 of them easy, maybe 2000.
    That takes time but we do it to keep the site strong.
    It isn't perfect but it is the best we can do.
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

100% Load 24/7
    I see both sides of this topic. I agree that there is a less friendly attitude than there used to be, but I also hate seeing threads asking for info that is easily available with just a little reading. Some one asking what settings to plug in to get 4ghz out of their cpu without doing any research irritates the hell out of me.
    Main Rig
    i7 2600k l Asus P8P67 l 2x2gb Gskill l GTS450 l Venomous X l XClio 680

Xtreme Enthusiast
    HEY! Don't make fun of l33ts...

Xtreme Cruncher
    Judaeus all you have to do is wait long enough and all the buttholes will migrate to some lesser forum with more attitude and less grattitude. XS went from a viper's nest (no offense System Viper ) to a much friendlier Forum a few months ago. No doubt the few idiots still trolling the corridors here will eventually discover their true home elsewhere.

Xtreme Addict
    A lot of good comments in here, I'm glad people are putting some thought into this and telling me what they think. I can see both sides too... but sometimes, I think its important to put your foot down and if someone doesn't like it, tell them, "I trust my staff, and we're taking a more aggressive stance against trolls and disruptive members. If you don't like it, you can leave." I mean, it IS you're forum. You guys own and/or are trusted to run it.

Usually game servers want a staff member like me, when things get out of control because of too many staff members who care more about politics and fairness than getting things done, and because of that they can't work fast enough to keep up with the flow of trolls who are finding the server. I'll just plow right in and start banning left and right, making sure I get people who are violating the rules. I'll give one warning or try to get their attention. If that fails, no second chances... there out, end of discussion. When the server is cleaned up, they get a flood of complaints and people making up all kinds of reasons why I'm this horrible admin. But the results speak for themself, and they tell them to screw off. lol

I'm sure you're all good guys who trust eachother, so why not just start kicking these people out? Assign a squad of staff members to patrol the forum and write up a list of people who are causing trouble. Then review the list (quickly), and get rid of them with the owner's approval.

A$$holes grow on leaves, but you're here to trim the leaves.

Assistant Administrator systemviper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberDruid View Post
    Judaeus all you have to do is wait long enough and all the buttholes will migrate to some lesser forum with more attitude and less grattitude. XS went from a viper's nest (no offense System Viper ) to a much friendlier Forum a few months ago. No doubt the few idiots still trolling the corridors here will eventually discover their true home elsewhere.
    Nice CD

I think the tree was pruned and actually some face shown when XS went down a few week back,
    I think it allowed for some shuffling, some venting and lots of trolling, but i would have to say, like water a good forum will find it's own equilibrium, with the members and mods and the good ones will just keep on ......
    XS rocks and so will I.

PS: love that waterboard CD, very nice design!
    HWbot - Team: XtremeSystems
    XS cruncher - Team: XtremeSystems
    OCN Feedback
    HEAT

*** Being kind is sometimes better then being right.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberDruid View Post
    Yeah... but banning feels really good. Common, admit it. Who doesn't love that feeling you get when you've taken out the garbage, and served up some justice? I think I've probably banned just under 1,000 people in my life time, and it feels gooood.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Yeah... but banning feels really good. Common, admit it. Who doesn't love that feeling you get when you've taken out the garbage, and served up some justice? I think I've probably banned just under 1,000 people in my life time, and it feels gooood.
    I'd disagree here. Banning to me is the last resort. It says that I can't get through to that person that a certain type of behavior isn't allowed or wanted here.
    I've done it many times but I never enjoyed it.
    I'm talking about members here, the spammers are a different story. Those I hit as hard and as fast as I can as what they want is time or better said exposure for people to see the garbage they are peddling.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Xtreme Cruncher
    So this is why you should be banned. For being that guy.

Seriously grow up and welcome to life people do things you dont like. Get over it.

Also this thread is 100% stupid certified.
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xtreme Mentor
    now that you mention it you are completely right, they even crapped on this thread too, lol. i do my share of thread crapping, but i didnt realize there were so many new thread crappers.. Huffcair and zsamz welcome to the honorary children's thread crapper club.
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Reading through all the comments and honestly, Xs is what you yourself want it to be.
    You as individuals make it what you want.
    Your posts are the foundation of the site.
    If they are well meaning then the site is strong.
    If posted in anger and to hurt others then it weakens the site.
    Like most things in life, it's up to you.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast