Thread: my pc keeps shutting down

Xtreme Addict

my pc keeps shutting down

this is the story

my pc was working fine today, 0 problems. I decided to install a cooler to my video card and I did. I put it in and noticed my PC would shut down every few seconds. So I put the stock cooler on and it still did the same thing. Then I took the GPU out and it still shuts downs. So I took off the 8 pin mobo cable and now it doesn't shut down.

anyone know how I can correct this problem? Came out of nowhere, would really appreciate it. Thanks.
    Watch 24!

Q6600 G0 w/ Scythe Zipang
    A Data 2x2gb DDR2-800
    Corsair 750w PSU
    8800GTX
    320gb Maxtor HDD
    Audigy 2 ZS
    RocketFish case

Xtreme Addict
    check the pins. and blow out the slots. and crossmojinate the calafradgilism.
    Last edited by little_scrapper; 05-13-2009 at 09:32 PM.
    Boy that info was old. As am I. Currently my kids have taken over my desktops. They are both sporting matching GTX1080's. Last Christmas I got everyone Oculuses and thus GTX1080's. My eldest is some sort of CSGO champion gold label something or other. Me I work and shoot real guns. Build Comps as needed.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Probably got dust or something in a bad place. Just like little said check all the connection. Take them out blow them out and all that stuff then try.
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xtreme Addict
    checked the dust and nothing

the 8-pin is the issue here. The 8-pin shuts down my pc...

Come on someone please help me out here
    Watch 24!

A Data 2x2gb DDR2-800
    Corsair 750w PSU
    8800GTX
    320gb Maxtor HDD
    Audigy 2 ZS
    RocketFish case

Xtreme Addict
    anything?!?!
    Watch 24!

A Data 2x2gb DDR2-800
    Corsair 750w PSU
    8800GTX
    320gb Maxtor HDD
    Audigy 2 ZS
    RocketFish case

Xtreme Addict
    how well did you check the 8-pin connector itself? Pull on each wire individually to make sure none of them have bad crimps, or are being pushed out of the connector body when you plug it in. Make sure nothing is inside the 8-pin slot on the board. And if all else fails try a diff psu. If that still fails then think about an RMA on the mobo.

But back to your original description: It sounds like you pulled the vid card to put on an aftermarket cooler, and when finished, you had a shutdown problem. To me, this sounds like either a hair or dust got pushed or landed somewhere it doesnt like to be, or one of your other cards or cables got bumped loose. So check every card and cable. And measure the voltages on the mobo to see if anything is out of whack.

If this were happening to me, and I couldnt quickly eliminate the problem with just a reseating of the cards and cables and a can or air, I would tear the machine completely apart and give everything a good cleaning(use an esd strap, or leave the psu cord plugged into the wall and keep in contact with some bare metal of the case to remain earth grounded). Pull the mobo out and clean the case out as well. Inspect every slot for dust or hairs. Hairs are notorious little conductors. Reassemble it bare bones: mobo & cpu, 1 stick of ram, OS HD, and vid card(onboard vid if you have it). See if the problem is still there. If not, reassemble the rest to see if its one of your other components.

I had a weird problem with my TV tuner card causing my FSB to lock in at 266MHz regardless of what I set in bios. Its really wierd, one of the components sits like a 1/16 of an inch from my NB and it seems like it doesnt like it. I can see that it isnt making any contack but if I would push the tuner card a bit to lean the tuner card away from my NB to give it like an 1/8 or more everything is fine. I finally moved the tuner card to the third slot when I got my GTX 260, Couldnt do it with my 8800GT because that would have blocked my vid cards intake. But now that I can, and have moved it away from the NB the problem has never happened since. I had the same thing happen with some acrylic ducting I was experimenting with. If it touched, or was even super close to the NB my FSB would lock at 266MHz. Really wierd electrical anomoly.
    Last edited by little_scrapper; 05-16-2009 at 09:39 PM.
    Boy that info was old. As am I. Currently my kids have taken over my desktops. They are both sporting matching GTX1080's. Last Christmas I got everyone Oculuses and thus GTX1080's. My eldest is some sort of CSGO champion gold label something or other. Me I work and shoot real guns. Build Comps as needed.

Xtreme Member
    is your case a mess,like are there loose molex connectors out in the open of you case like jumbled together....because when you installed the cooler what might have happened was you might of moved a molex around and its touching another molex or a piece of metal and is shorting out the circuit causing ur computer to shutdown repeatedly...you dont know how many times i have had that happen to me causing my heart to sink into my stomach....try messing with all the loose psu wires and see if they were touching each other...i bet this is what it is
    CPU: Q6600 @ 3.4ghz Mobo: Gigabyte P35-DS4 CPU Cooler: Tuniq Tower
    GPU: ATI HD4850 700/1070 RAM: 4x1GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-1066 PSU: OCZ GameXStream 600W
    Sound card: X-Fi Fatal1ty HDD: Western Digital Raptor 74gb / 320GB Seagate
    Display: 22" Gateway HD2200 Headset: Audio-Technica AD700

Quote Originally Posted by MaByBoI View Post
    they looked at them and said that they dont accept print off coupons, one asked their manager and i over heard the manager say "no they're probly lying, we dont accept these kinds of coupons"
    Quote Originally Posted by tool_462 View Post
    At which point the proper response is to pretend you are on your cell phone and say "No, it looks like the manager is a major douche, looks like we can't eat tonight...again, sorry son."