Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Asus Crosshair III Formula coming

Live Long And Overclock
    Quote Originally Posted by Macadamia View Post
    IMHO the newest MSI is still the best flagship AM3 board there is to date, followed by the GBT.

Where is Foxconn in all of this BTW?
    We're all doubting Asus before official specs have even been released.

Asus doesn't make mediocre high end motherboards. If it is placed above the M4A79T-Deluxe, then there will be a valid reason for it.

Perkam

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by perkam View Post
    Asus doesn't make mediocre high end motherboards.
    Perkam
    C2F was quite bad for ASUS's normal standards.
    Quote Originally Posted by radaja View Post
    so are they launching BD soon or a comic book?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Asus doesn't make mediocre high end motherboards. If it is placed above the M4A79T-Deluxe, then there will be a valid reason for it.
    so your saying their boards rock until proven otherwise?
    dont you think thats a bit biased?

what oficial specs do you mean?
    we can all see it has one nic and 5 sata, no xifi onboard sound, 2 pciE slots, a standard passive heatsink...

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Why make a high-end 790FX motherboard and not include 3 PCIe slots for tri-fire? Same flaw Gigabyte has with their 790FXT-UD5P, great board but can't use 4770/4890 Tri-fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Macadamia View Post
    IMHO the newest MSI is still the best flagship AM3 board there is to date, followed by the GBT.

Where is Foxconn in all of this BTW?
    You ever use any of the MSI AM3 motherboards? They are pieces of garbage with VRM that can barely handle a X3 720

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Northeast Ohio, Where the weather changes every 30 min...
    I needs this board.

I think the number of pcie slots was kept down at 2 because most people don't buy more than 2 cards for xfire. Vdroop I haven't noticed to be a problem on any board built with the 790Fx chipset from Asus. The original crosshair depended on what cpu was in. Not sure about the second one because I didn't get that one. How many sata ports does one person need? I would say at most 5 for the average person if they decided to run raid 0+1 and had an sata dvd-rw drive.
    Not much to say right now.

Xtreme Guru
    4+1 phases with double inductors and all of a sudden it's 8+2 phases...
    You were not supposed to see this.

all outta gum
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldguy932 View Post
    How many sata ports does one person need? I would say at most 5 for the average person if they decided to run raid 0+1 and had an sata dvd-rw drive.
    I am using 6 right now: 4 HDDs, one DVD burner and one for front panel eSATA. 5 is not enough, especially for a high end board, and even more so when your competitor has twice as many.
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

I am Xtreme
    i like the simple and clean look, im not a fan of UV explosion style MBs. as far as SATAs, 4 is enough to max out the southbridge raid anyway, so that dosnt seem to be a problem. but wtf is that wide white slot in the center, who uses old PCI anymore. and is it just me or does this look shorter than a full atx

Xtreme X.I.P.
    lol really? thats a shame, msis boards have great slot layouts usually...

Quote Originally Posted by Oldguy932 View Post
    I needs this board.

I think the number of pcie slots was kept down at 2 because most people don't buy more than 2 cards for xfire. Vdroop I haven't noticed to be a problem on any board built with the 790Fx chipset from Asus. The original crosshair depended on what cpu was in. Not sure about the second one because I didn't get that one. How many sata ports does one person need? I would say at most 5 for the average person if they decided to run raid 0+1 and had an sata dvd-rw drive.
    yeah but most people dont buy an rog highend board either...
    the point of a highend board is... its highend and exactly for those few people that run way beefier hardware than others...

Quote Originally Posted by largon View Post
    4+1 phases with double inductors and all of a sudden it's 8+2 phases...
    ha, really? are you sure?
    Last edited by saaya; 05-13-2009 at 07:32 AM.

Xtreme Guru
    saaya,
    No way they could fit enough fets in there to make it really 8+2. On top of that, there's no phases controller out there that would be able to deal with 8 phases. And ofcourse, Asus has been doing such tricks for long.
    You were not supposed to see this.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    before i left foxconn they told me that theres a new 8 phase controller certified by amd... but maybe they were wrong...
    but even if they use a 4 phase controller, they could do the same as on their other rog boards and just double the phases up... not pretty, but gets the job done... IF you sort out the current control PROPERLY otherwise your limited in current draw, but im sure asus figured that one out by now

anyhow.. are you sure they only use 4 phases? they could use 4 pairs of phases... id be really surprised if asus did the same as gigabyte and just doubled the chokes...

Xtreme Member
    What's with the idea that "it's a high end board so it needs to have OMGWTFBBQ heatsinks"? 790FX has a TDP of what, 11 watts? And the south bridge, 1 watt?
    Obsolescence be thy name

Xtreme Mentor
    looks like just another 790fx board to me.

Ryzen 9 3900X w/ NH-U14s on MSI X570 Unify
    32 GB Patriot Viper Steel 3733 CL14 (1.51v)
    RX 5700 XT w/ 2x 120mm fan mod (2 GHz)
    Tons of NVMe & SATA SSDs
    LG 27GL850 + Asus MG279Q
    Meshify C white

Xtreme Addict
    Me want moar pcie's!! why only two
    ░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█▀▀ ░░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█ ░░░
    ░█▀▀ ░█▀▀ ░█ ░█ ░░░░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█ ░░░
    ░▀▀▀ ░▀ ░░░▀ ░▀▀▀ ░░▀ ░░░▀░▀ ░▀ ░▀▀▀ ░

Xtreme Mentor
    Atleast swap the top pci-e 1x and pci or even toss the pci on the bottom slot and only 5 Sata slots. I'm using 6 sata slots now.

Even the R2E GENE has 3 pci-e 16x slots and thats a micro atx board.
    Last edited by BababooeyHTJ; 05-13-2009 at 05:08 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    With how bare the bottom half of the board is, I think that's just a bad angle to take the picture at. The top looks kind of highend-ish.
    Computer:
    Case: Corsair 750D Airflow Edition
    Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus X570 Ultra
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2x16gb @ stock
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900x
    Graphics: Evga GTX 1080 FTW, Coil Whine edition
    PSU: Corsair RMi 650w
    Cooling: Please don't remind me. Corsair H115i w/Arctic P14 PWM fans.
    HDD: 970 Pro, 860 Evo, WD 1tb 3 platter drive (12 years old?!), etc.

Xtreme Member

Thumbs up

Looks good to me!

I am still hoping for mobo makers to ditch PCI, PS2, IDE, Floppy and onboard NICs/audio completely. Love how ASUS and DFI sometimes have the onboard audio as a separate card for folks that want to use aftermarket cards instead.

To me the motherboard should strictly be the foundation with no extra crap onboard that most Xtreme folks will buy a dedicated card for anyways.

Banned
    looks good but not good
    1. lacks pcie slots like the gd 70 would and probably could be a board for waterblocks but then again i might wrong

i have to disagree zorlac they have to ditch with onboard audio and ide can still be used as back up drive of some sort if you have 1 lying around and there should be only 1 ps2 and pci well it still has to be there until we get stuff moved to pcie x1 besides recievers and sound cards as far i would know of

why are people perfering the 4770 over the 4890?

Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    so your saying their boards rock until proven otherwise?
    dont you think thats a bit biased?

what oficial specs do you mean?
    we can all see it has one nic and 5 sata, no xifi onboard sound, 2 pciE slots, a standard passive heatsink...
    the site that its from says xfi ad in card, and i dont see the need for 2 onboard nics. with the current ones there is no hyperV so that throws out the performance vm farm and u can get a much better nic for $30 for gaming or anything else, then the HS dosnt need much NB or sb cooling and the pwm area looks sufficient and it should fit the NB max sfittech block. +no floppy, if they keep this up for the 8xx chipset i might have to go back to asus if dfi dosnt have something

and i like the slot placement u get a sound slot at the top and 3 slot space for the 16x cards, then u have no sli chipset so thats a huge advantage and at this rate NV will be putting sli on amd chipsets since they have nothing new thats been announced and there isnt really a reason to buy their cards for sli at the moment.
    Last edited by zanzabar; 05-13-2009 at 05:48 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Live Long And Overclock
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    Me want moar pcie's!! why only two
    Because the third card doesn't scale for sh*t. Sorry for the language. Thought it was common knowledge.

Perkam

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodin View Post
    What's with the idea that "it's a high end board so it needs to have OMGWTFBBQ heatsinks"? 790FX has a TDP of what, 11 watts? And the south bridge, 1 watt?
    its about looks, not cooling performance... the board looks rather empty and scarce on the lower side, a big heatsink with a nice design could cover that and make it look much sexier

Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    the site that its from says xfi ad in card
    that would be nice!

and i dont see the need for 2 onboard nics. with the current ones there is no hyperV so that throws out the performance vm farm and u can get a much better nic for $30 for gaming or anything else
    your one of the very few people who dont want 2nics then... i made a poll and asked loads of people, while almost nobody uses both nics, at least permanent, they all want 2...
    and you can buy a good 30$ nic card... so what?
    and you can buy a 30$ soundcard and a 30$ sata raid card and and and... whats your point? you might as well say there should be no onboard nic at all then since you can buy a good one for 30$ :P

then the HS dosnt need much NB or sb cooling and the pwm area looks sufficient and it should fit the NB max sfittech block.
    yeah, the cooling is fine for sure... watercooling this would be a bit overkill...

+no floppy, if they keep this up for the 8xx chipset i might have to go back to asus if dfi dosnt have something
    usb floppy?

and i like the slot placement u get a sound slot at the top and 3 slot space for the 16x cards
    yepp, totally agree on that!

then u have no sli chipset so thats a huge advantage and at this rate NV will be putting sli on amd chipsets since they have nothing new thats been announced and there isnt really a reason to buy their cards for sli at the moment.
    actually they did... they modified their last amd chipset, which is 1 year old i think, and added some small upgrades... so no, nvidia wont allow sli on amd chipsets... i highly doubt that...

Because the third card doesn't scale for sh*t. Sorry for the language. Thought it was common knowledge.
    Perkam
    actually it does... check xbitlabs and anandtechs 3way and 4way sli vs xfire articles... 4 is where it stops scaling and is sometimes slower than 3, they improved scaling over the past years, notably...
    3way gtx285 beats 4way gtx295 sli in quite some scenarios... not by much, but it does...

so in theory 3 gtx275 cards oced beyond gtx285 speeds will get you better performance for around 650$ than 2 oced gtx295 cards for 900$

Xtreme Addict
    Why not Quad-Fire or atleast Tri-Fire option?

Using the DFI LP 790FXB layout for PCI-E slots on this board would be awesome, maybe ASUS are aiming at those with to much money to spend that are gonna use X2 cards?
    SweClockers.com

CPU: Phenom II X4 955BE
    Clock: 4200MHz 1.4375v
    Memory: Dominator GT 2x2GB 1600MHz 6-6-6-20 1.65v
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    GPU: HD 5770

Xtreme Mentor
    then where should it be? anywhere else and it would block the second vga if you run xfire or sli...

huh? why? you can run 2 dualslot vgas, plus a pci card, plus a pciE x1 card... what more do you guys want???

lets see...

amd
    new chipset
    best ocing options
    overdrive
    active support from amd

nvidia
    costs more
    runs hotter
    old chipset
    not the best ocing options
    ntune lacks a lot of features and doesnt work as good as overdrive

i think it was right of them to go for the amd chipset... its unlikely that people who spend a lot on 2 nvidia highend vgas buy an amd platform which is slower and cheaper than intel platforms...

yeah i feel the same... too small heatsink i think... and more sata... a bigger heatsink covering some more of the pcb, maybe in some nice design and colors, and more sata plugs and it would look a lot more like a real highend board.

single ethernet, 6 usb, 5 sata... it really looks more like a value board from the specs and from the layout/design...
    if it would be matx i could understand this, but full blown atx...

it has all it needs, but it doesnt really look like an rog highend board...
    I only say the slot thing cos i cant use it my 4870 = 3 slots, no pci card for wireless = angry me lol
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Mentor
    the site that its from says xfi ad in card,.
    Fake x-fi (bane of my life)

(eek sorry for double posting!!)
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Quote Originally Posted by Smartidiot89 View Post
    Why not Quad-Fire or atleast Tri-Fire option?

Using the DFI LP 790FXB layout for PCI-E slots on this board would be awesome, maybe ASUS are aiming at those with to much money to spend that are gonna use X2 cards?
    u do get quad fire (2 x2) and there isnt scaling with 3 cards well since afr only works well with 2 gpus. and they gave the top slot for the shound card so thats all that u need for a gaming board is 2 slots for gpus with good space for coolers to fit and the sound slot

your one of the very few people who dont want 2nics then... i made a poll and asked loads of people, while almost nobody uses both nics, at least permanent, they all want 2...
    and you can buy a good 30$ nic card... so what?
    and you can buy a 30$ soundcard and a 30$ sata raid card and and and... whats your point? you might as well say there should be no onboard nic at all then since you can buy a good one for 30$ :P
    out of that pole it would be interesting to see who uses 2 or who wants them, and what are the uses for a gateway server/bridge (not likely), teamed cables (no use for home consumers) or virtulization that the marvel and broadcom dont work with. i just fail to see the point i would rather have 2 more USB
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast