Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why does everyone seem to hate Vista but love Windows 7?

Admin

Why does everyone seem to hate Vista but love Windows 7?

Really, I'm curious.

becouse they loved what vista added but couldent get over not wanting to move on or agreeing with people who hatted it or had NV chipsets so it was unstable, so they had to admit that they were wrong or wait for the next one
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    becouse they loved what vista added but couldent get over not wanting to move on or agreeing with people who hatted it or had NV chipsets so it was unstable, so they had to admit that they were wrong or wait for the next one
    Vista 64 bit has been totaly stable for me with a 680i and a 790i board.

I like vista better than windows 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
    Really, I'm curious.
    I'm going to make a few incomplete guesses. Driver support by manufacturers... made people hate Vista (but not the lousey manufactures driver teams). But Win 7 auto included drivers apparently works very well.

People thought that Vista used up too much ram, and failed to realise that Superfetch was stealing teh ramz.

People don't always like change.

UAC, and driver signing can burn people up if they haven't a clue about how to make it work for them.

People read useless blogs written by mindless neanthartals, and [H] forums.

Software support. For example Win 7 has problems with Punkbuster. That may be one of the Win 7 top 10 complaints for the gamers. Other software issues with Vista did not work with Vista, so people reverted back to XP.... and now when they try Win7, and the former things have been ironed out with updates since Vista... it works well.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Because to make it be what it should be out of the box takes hours of configuration.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Because to make it be what it should be out of the box takes hours of configuration.
    Nah. Maybe at the beginning. But not now. Once you got a few pointers... few mins should turn off and turn on whats needed.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] riptide View Post
    Nah. Maybe at the beginning. But not now. Once you got a few pointers... few mins should turn off and turn on whats needed.
    You may be right, haven't touched Veesta since the begining, that was enough for me..
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well my experience with Vista is it is fine for my home use. Running Vista on a network with XP machines and Server 2003, just forget it. Its the typical MS way of forcing people to upgrade thier software to the late$t one.

Also Vista out of the box was a POS, it was not until SP1 that a lot of the issue with Vista was sorted. Also it killed off a lot of my old hardware and software. Nero 6 would not run on Vista and I had to upgrade to Nero 8. My HP 3500 scanner had no drivers, my web can had no drivers, my printers had no drivers!

There was no reason to upgrade from XP to Vista and quite a few reasons not to.

W7 on the other had worked straight out the beta box onto several PC and laptops, all with different CPU from P4 to Core Duo. No driver issues or anything! It has been a painless experience so far with W7 compared to Vista.

Also with W7 MS are giving the impression they have been listening to people and giving them something they want! Unlike with Vista, MS gave us what they think we wanted!
    24/7 PC CoolerMaster CM690 + 7 fans(its HOT as HELL in Shanghai) Intel Xeon E3 1230 3.3-3.7Ghz, 2x8GB DDR3 1600 G-Skill, HD GT630 2GB, Scandisk Pro 256SSD 2x2TB Green, 2x 3TB WD Green Data Drives. HTPC Q8400, EP45 UD3L 4x1GB Gskill6400, 1xWD Black 640GB,2x2TB WD Green, 2xWD 1TB Blue(RAID1), Sapphire 4530 512MB,

Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.

Mitch Ratcliffe, U.S. technology journalist and blogger

Quote Originally Posted by chinaguy View Post
    Well my experience with Vista is it is fine for my home use. Running Vista on a network with XP machines and Server 2003, just forget it. Its the typical MS way of forcing people to upgrade thier software to the late$t one.

Also Vista out of the box was a POS, it was not until SP1 that a lot of the issue with Vista was sorted. Also it killed off a lot of my old hardware and software. Nero 6 would not run on Vista and I had to upgrade to Nero 8. My HP 3500 scanner had no drivers, my web can had no drivers, my printers had no drivers!

There was no reason to upgrade from XP to Vista and quite a few reasons not to.

W7 on the other had worked straight out the beta box onto several PC and laptops, all with different CPU from P4 to Core Duo. No driver issues or anything! It has been a painless experience so far with W7 compared to Vista.

Also with W7 MS are giving the impression they have been listening to people and giving them something they want! Unlike with Vista, MS gave us what they think we wanted!
    No disrespect... but you make my point perfectly. Vista killed no hardware off. Your lousey HP Printer, scanner and cam makers didn't write drivers. HP stuffed WinXP 64bit IIRC?

Also... Nero issues is Neros issue.

Lastly, My XP Media Centre, and XP Home laptop all connect superbly via wireless AND wired, respectively.

PI in the face
    I love them both
    Quote Originally Posted by L0ud View Post
    So many opinions and so few screenshots

Xtreme Member
    I think there is one major point between Windows 7 and Vista releases:-

Average PC spec when Vista was released
    Single core processor
    ~512mb RAM
    ~160Gb HDD

Average PC spec when Windows 7 is released/trialled
    Dual core processor
    ~2Gb RAM
    ~500Gb HDD

On the machines the average user had 3 years ago Vista could be a killer, put Vista/Windows 7 on your average machine now and it runs no problem.
    Hiper HPU-4M880, Q6600@3.6Ghz 1.5V, Abit IP35-E, 2x2GB OCZ Dominator PC8500, [COLOR="Blue"]XFX 6950Watercooled

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well it was a MS decree that you had to use only MS approved drivers. You could not over ride this restriction like you can in XP. In XP you get the message that says something like "not a reconised MS signature", do you wish to continue. Vista on the other hand refused to allow you this option. When infact many drivers worked in Vista apart from MS allowing you to use them. The process to have your companies driver accepted as MS apporved was long as costly so many companies just did not bother due to cost restrictions.

Nothing wrong with my old hardware and HP laser printers and scanners you have to beat with a hamer to stop them working.

Vista will not run on my test rigm a P4 3.4Ghz with 2GB Ram, 256MB FX550n and 160GB 7200rpm HD. Loads of driver issues for sound and video card. Once these where fixed very poor performance and chunky as hell. W7 RC works perfectly, I did not even have to load the sata driver from the floppy disc to install.
    24/7 PC CoolerMaster CM690 + 7 fans(its HOT as HELL in Shanghai) Intel Xeon E3 1230 3.3-3.7Ghz, 2x8GB DDR3 1600 G-Skill, HD GT630 2GB, Scandisk Pro 256SSD 2x2TB Green, 2x 3TB WD Green Data Drives. HTPC Q8400, EP45 UD3L 4x1GB Gskill6400, 1xWD Black 640GB,2x2TB WD Green, 2xWD 1TB Blue(RAID1), Sapphire 4530 512MB,

Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by chinaguy View Post
    Well it was a MS decree that you had to use only MS approved drivers. You could not over ride this restriction like you can in XP. In XP you get the message that says something like "not a reconised MS signature", do you wish to continue. Vista on the other hand refused to allow you this option. When infact many drivers worked in Vista apart from MS allowing you to use them. The process to have your companies driver accepted as MS apporved was long as costly so many companies just did not bother due to cost restrictions.

Nothing wrong with my old hardware and HP laser printers and scanners you have to beat with a hamer to stop them working.

Vista will not run on my test rigm a P4 3.4Ghz with 2GB Ram, 256MB FX550n and 160GB 7200rpm HD. Loads of driver issues for sound and video card. Once these where fixed very poor performance and chunky as hell. W7 RC works perfectly, I did not even have to load the sata driver from the floppy disc to install.
    that's only in 64but vista though, and even then its easy to take off driver signing, its what 2 buttons :/ and/or a reg tweak.

Although the average user shouldn't succumb to this
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] riptide View Post
    I'm going to make a few incomplete guesses. Driver support by manufacturers... made people hate Vista (but not the lousey manufactures driver teams). But Win 7 auto included drivers apparently works very well.

People thought that Vista used up too much ram, and failed to realise that Superfetch was stealing teh ramz.

People don't always like change.

UAC, and driver signing can burn people up if they haven't a clue about how to make it work for them.

People read useless blogs written by mindless neanthartals, and [H] forums.

Software support. For example Win 7 has problems with Punkbuster. That may be one of the Win 7 top 10 complaints for the gamers. Other software issues with Vista did not work with Vista, so people reverted back to XP.... and now when they try Win7, and the former things have been ironed out with updates since Vista... it works well.

exactly what i think. and i will add something, with the driver problems in vista apples anti vista campaign also succeeded very well.

for me w7 is mostly visually tweaked vista and most of improvements in w7 is included are will be included in vista too with updates. there are too few real improvements in w7 which you cant do in vista.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Mentor
    Maybe because the only worthwhile Vista Ultimate Extra turned out to be Windows 7

Xtreme Enthusiast

OK I will buy W7 but I will noy pay for Vista

Well if you consider W7 is Vista SP3 I will buy it

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I dunno
    I mean, I dont like either,
    But I think its because W7 is what everyone thinks Vista should have been.
    Although, doesnt really matter as XP is still the winner,

Banned
    i love my XP...

Xtreme Member
    The real truth:

Why do people hate Vista? Because Apple told them it sucked and the blogosphere bit big time. Blame this on Microsoft's marketing department. They did absolutely nothing to counter the hate. Vista was no different than any other OS at launch. There were good things and bad things.

Why do people love Windows 7? Because Microsoft's marketing department woke up and the blogosphere bit big time.

The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. Vista was nowhere as bad as it was made out to be and Windows 7 will likely not be the ultimate OS people are making it out to be.

Xtreme Addict
    The way i'm reading things it's as if Windows 7 is an actual new operating system.

Isn't it more or less Vista sp 3 under a new name?
    TJ07 | Corsair HX1000W | Gigabyte EX58 Extreme | i7 930 @ 4ghz | Ek Supreme | Thermochill PA 120.3 | Laing DDC 12v w/ mod plexi top | 3x2gb Corsair 1600mhz | GTX 680 | Raid 0 300gb Velociraptor x 2 | Razer Lachesis & Lycosa | Win7 HP x64 | fluffy dice.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Only if XP was 2000 SP4

I think that Win7 is more different to Vista, than any SP has been in the past (XP SP2 included).

Sure, it's not a whole heap different in the grand scheme of things, but neither was 2000 - XP, or 95 - 98.

Cause it just runs better than Vista.

Xtreme Addict
    I got thrown in the deep end with Vista, I learned to like and adjust, tweaked left right and centre. After tweaking? It's fine. No issues. Windows 7? Well... same story, but with less tweaking. But the ATI drivers killed my card with that "auto-clock" pish that was buggy and lasted like 2 secs... My partner hated both because we couldn't get mouse acceleration off properly. We sometimes got it right, other times, it didn't, and most of the time it came back!

So what are we running now? XP 64bit

Are we happy with it?? Well, yeah. Ok, the amBX kit doesn't work for media (but does for gameS) and we have to use alot of open source programs (which is usually better in most cases). Do I miss DX10? Admitedly, yes and no, because not many of my games ran it, and when they did, they were beautifull.... but not important enough for me right now

~Bex
    PROJECT :: The Xtreme (WET) Dream!!!

PERSONAL H2O BESTS :
    E8600 @ 4.8GHz
    E6750 @ 4GHz QX9650 @ 4.6GHz
    i7 920 @ 4.6GHz

PERSONAL AIR BESTS :
    Sempron140 @ 4Ghz (Stock Cooler)
    i7 3960x @ 5.4ghz (Air Cooler)

Bex : "Who said girls can't play PC games or overclock!? Do I look like your imagination!?"
    Aaron : "TBH, a girl doing all that is a pretty perfect girl!"
    Swift_Wraith : "could someone please check bex for a penis?"

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Win7 came later than Vista, so it did a couple things. Around the time SP1 for Vista came out manufacturers had finally made some decent drivers for the most common new and a lot of older hardware. It gave people time to get used to Vista's bloat, changes to the GUI, and other "quirks" (like it or not, it is more bloated than it could be), so when a newer, prettier, slightly slimmer OS came out, people got the same feeling they do after lifting heavy weights - their arms felt lighter. I see Vista as a transitional period between XP and 7. It gave MS a change to spring a whole bunch of changes on the public at once and see how the public reacted, then fine-tune things for a "real" OS release.

Think about it, SP1 is when more people really started to like Vista. OEM manufacturers like Dell and HP started bundling it with machines and it was good enough where Joe Schmoe would complain about it but generally not hate it enough to go back to XP. A few months later Win7 came out, taking 85% of Vista's features and improving on them, while reducing the load on the system - all of a sudden, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Win7 seems to be equal parts a change in the consumer's attitude to new MS operating systems and actual software improvements by MS.

I have a hunch Win7 will be another 7-years-and-counting dinosaur of an OS, just like XP is.

• i7 920 D0 // eVGA X58 SLI // 12GB G.Skill Ripjaws // HD6950 (6970 BIOS)
    • Apogee XT // MCP655 // Thermochill PA120.3 // CM HAF 932
    • OCZ Vertex 3 MI edition // ASUS Xonar DX // Corsair TX850
    • HTC Incredible - Uber Kingdom Revolution ROM

Love will tear us apart
    Quote Originally Posted by Strafe View Post
    The real truth:

Why do people hate Vista? Because Apple told them it sucked and the blogosphere bit big time. Blame this on Microsoft's marketing department. They did absolutely nothing to counter the hate. Vista was no different than any other OS at launch. There were good things and bad things.

Why do people love Windows 7? Because Microsoft's marketing department woke up and the blogosphere bit big time.

The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. Vista was nowhere as bad as it was made out to be and Windows 7 will likely not be the ultimate OS people are making it out to be.
    Yeah, marketing and public perception was/is a large part if it. Anandtech's RC 1 Preview article talks about this, and what MS did differently with 7 in this regard, on the first two pages.
    Dark Star IV
    i5 3570K | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | 8GB Samsung 30nm | GTX 670 FTW 4GB + XSPC Razer 680 | 128GB Samsung 830
    Apogee HD White | 140MM UT60/120MM UT45/120MM ST30 | XSPC D5 V2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast