Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aquaero and Poweradjust from Aquacomputers (need ppl with info or experience on them)

Xtreme Enthusiast

Question Aquaero and Poweradjust from Aquacomputers (need ppl with info or experience on them)

Hello there!

I have been pending back and forth with this choice but I never can seem to decide. First I was sure that it was a Mcubed I needed. Then it was aquaero. And then I changed again and bought a mcubed but sold it directly. Then I was about to buy the aquaero and the Koolance TMS came along. And It looked like it had everything. Although it didn't. It isn't independent (I.e. totally failsafe regarding software). So now I'm back with the aquaero... I made this thread 6 months ago and it still gets bumped with questions. One thing I never got an answer to was how to solve the problem with controlling a pump and going with the aquaero. But I think that the poweradjust can be the solution (more info further down in my post).

Goal

My goal is to be able to control the fans according to water temperature. And I want a totally failsafe shutdown of my system if the temps get to high or one of the pumps fails (gives no rpm or flow dropped to 0LPH). And I want to be able to set the pump speed with a program (no manual stuff with knobs or switches). I want to control it via my computer. Since you don't need more than 1,5GPM in a loop I want to set the pumps to that and quiet them down a bit.

Aquaero

I have been thinking about getting a aquero for some time now. I know that is a great unit and offers really good features. The only real issue It has is that its not that powerful. Maximum wattage is 10W per channel and with a maximum of 30watts on the whole unit combined .

But you cant connect your pump to it because of the low wattage output. And strong fans is also a problem. Although recent tests from martin has showed that one of the best fans the "Gentle typhoon 15". Draws less than 1W per fan. Therefor I can connect 30 of them if I wanted to.

So the only issue is the pump. I want to control it according to temps if thats even possible?!?. And I want to monitor flow/rpm for shutdown if they break down. Its okay if I can set the pump speed manually but I need to have a failsafe shutdown feature if it fails.

Aquacomputers poweradjust USB

So I have been looking at the Aquacomputer poweradjust USB. It says it was developed specially for the control of Laing DDC pumps.

Have anyone used this unit? Can I control my pump speed via the program (some talk about preset jumpers?). And most importantly, will this unit shutdown my system if it indicates no flow or loss of rpm signal?

"Passing the rpm-signal of the pump to the mainboard, or generate an artificial rpm-signal which stops in case of errors" Does this mean I can connect the pump to the unit and then just have a rpm cable to another unit if I want to shut it down via the motherboard or an aquaero?

Temperature sensor

Aquacomputers have a temp-sensor that I haven't seen before. The temperature sensor seems to have no "pin" sticking out and an think this might be a good thing because it cant hinder flow. It's just a ring with G1/4" on both sides. I.e you can fasten it on a outlet from the pump,block, rad or wherever.

Flow meter

Aquacomputers have released a new flow meter. But from what i have heard flow meters can be a bit tricky. They have a habit of breaking down and/or cause very high restriction. But according to the description it seems good (if you believe the manufactures numbers).

This flow rate sensor from aquacomputer has an extremely low flow resistance and is therefore perfectly suited even for High-flow systems. The Sensor is made from Delrin and stainless steel and is therefore not only technically but also optically exceptionally well-made. The symmetrical design with two identical nozzles allows integration into the system without having to use a certain direction of flow through the sensor. The connection threads are G1/4" in size and therefore allow the use of the sensor with all common fitting and hose sizes and types. The sensor also has four M3 threads integrated into the bottom of the casing to allow easy fixation. The sensor provides accurate data from 40l/h and is therefore perfect for systems with aquastream pumps.
    If it can report down to 40L/h it cant be that restrictive.40L/h is nothing right. A DDC3.2 can deliver 120 GPH (454 LPH) according to its data.

But have anyone this flow meter? Is it crap like most of them or can this be something good? I don't want to waste 37€ on a flow meter thats bad. And also, Is the the holes on this one just going right through? Like this >--->-- And no ->---^

So the real question is, Will I be able to do that with these items:
    Aquaero 100€
    Poweradjust USB 2*30€
    Flow meter 2*38€
    Temperature Sensor 2*9€
    Total of 254€

A similar setup would cost 230$ if I went with the Koolance instead. (but not software independent as it looks right now)

Thanks if you made it this far (you might have learned some stuff to )

Have a nice day!

Regads
    Brodholm
    Last edited by Brodholm; 05-12-2009 at 07:37 AM.

Xtreme Member
    But why, oh why, didn't you stay with the BigNG? I does, exactly what you are asking for, without fuss, with my BigNG... Yeah, I know, not fancy graphs like the Aquareo, but it really is set and forget. Ramp up the fans when you game, cool'n'quite when surfing the web. Automatic shut off in case of malfunction. What more can you ask fore?

Totally , I know...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by biggles1 View Post
    But why, oh why, didn't you stay with the BigNG? I does, exactly what you are asking for, without fuss, with my BigNG... Yeah, I know, not fancy graphs like the Aquareo, but it really is set and forget. Ramp up the fans when you game, cool'n'quite when surfing the web. Automatic shut off in case of malfunction. What more can you ask fore?

Totally , I know...
    Yeah I know

But I sold it for a higher price than i bought it for anyway :P

I sold it so I could have the choice again if you see what i mean.

This have also gotten even more complicated... The TMS 200 also seem to work without OS if dean is correct.

So Aquaero vs Mcubed vs Koolance TMS-200

Xtreme Member
    Good to hear you made a good deal at least! If Koolance get a grip on their software, they might be on to something... BTW, I think it's a pity that Aquaero, who has quite a lot of interesting products, is so unspoken of in the English-speaking word (that is, outside central Europe...). They good really get a fair market share if they started to participate for real in forums and so on...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by biggles1 View Post
    Good to hear you made a good deal at least! If Koolance get a grip on their software, they might be on to something... BTW, I think it's a pity that Aquaero, who has quite a lot of interesting products, is so unspoken of in the English-speaking word (that is, outside central Europe...). They good really get a fair market share if they started to participate for real in forums and so on...
    Yeah, I really think so to. Get a REAL translation on the site. Some things are still in German when you select English and stuff.

If I would list the pros of each unit It would be something like this:

Aquacomputer Aquaero
    + Really good software.
    + Independent. (I.e fail-safe).
    + Easy interface and really good settings.
    + Display (and can also be chosen without display).
    + Support for flow-meters, temp sensors etc.
    + Sevral other units can be implemented in the same software (poweradjust, multiswitches etc).
    + Good support from manufactures (new updates come from time to time)
    - Not powerful enough for pumps and high wattage fans.

Koolance TMS-200
    + New and fresh unit (I.e good support with updates and stuff)
    + Powerful (20W at each channel and one specified for pumps).
    + Good software.
    + Offers a real good "all in one" solution.
    + Have the ability to add a extension board for controlling of another pump and 3 more fan channels.
    + Support for flow-meters, temp sensors etc.
    - Not really done when released (still isn't)
    - Have trouble with software (crashes and boot problems BUT a new version is on the way though)
    - Not 100% independent (According to info dean got it should the shutdown feature be independent. Although not confirmed)
    - Need some polish on the software (this comes with time though)
    - No display if you want one.

Mcubed T-Balancer BigNG

+ Powerful (20w per channel) Can control pumps but need good cooling then.
    + Huge amount of sensors and stuff can be connected. Flow meters, temp-sensors, digital temp-sensors
    + Other units such as MiniNG, sensorhubs can be connected to the unit and control even more fans.
    - No display (can be implemented though)
    - Bad support from manufactures (discontinued support from manufactures?)
    - Not so good program (needs polishing and is hard to navigate in)

Thats what I can come up with now...

This video always makes me want to buy the aquaero http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyffbCvnyyU&fmt=18
    Last edited by Brodholm; 05-12-2009 at 12:45 PM.

2 Loops, if i am correct?

The AC gear should provide you with everything you want

On the other side, the bigNg only lacks on the software side (and the display...)

Aqua Computer Rep
    I want to control it according to temps if thats even possible?!?. And I want to monitor flow/rpm for shutdown if they break down. Its okay if I can set the pump speed manually but I need to have a failsafe shutdown feature if it fails.
    A flow control according to the temperature is not possible. You might be able to use it with the scripting feature from the aquaero but that will be VERY complicated. A better way would be the SDK to develop your own little tool for that.

A manual control of the pump is no problem. To get a better idea of the controlling and monitoring features:

btw: you can also download the aquasuite from our website and start it in demo mode (add -demo to the end of the sortcut, e.g. ...aquasuite.exe" -demo) to see every window of all devices even if they are not connected in reality. Like in the screenshots above many values will not make sense or you will miss graphs etc. but it will allow you to have a look on everything

As you can see in the second screenshot you can realy the rpm signal of the pump or generate a static signal by the controller. So depending on your settings the signal will stop when the pump will not work anymore. You can connect the rom signal to the mainboard (e.g. CPU fan header) or a fan channel of the aquaero.
    Does this mean I can connect the pump to the unit and then just have a rpm cable to another unit if I want to shut it down via the motherboard or an aquaero?
    Yes, that will work when you forward the rpm signal. Unfortunately the poweradjust controller does not have an aquabus like the aquastream XT pump which would offer much more controlling and monitoring options.

Well, the flow meter... Maybe you want to see a few more pics from the internals:

The nozzle has a diameter of 7 mm. The 40l/h should be the absolute minimum because otherwise you won't get any values or they will be useless. After some tests it seems that the best accuracy is reached with a flow of 70l/h and up.

Malik is currently using this sensor in his latest mod:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...&postcount=710
    Last edited by Shoggy; 05-12-2009 at 12:40 PM.
    Got a question or having a problem with your Aqua Computer product?
    Contact us via PM or E-Mail.

Banned
    I have all three. I have not played with the Aquaero or Poweradjust.

Shoggy can help here. (Shoggy beat me to my response, thanks Shoggy)

I would download the demo of Aquasuite here:

http://www.aqua-computer.de/e_index.htm

and you can play around with the various tabs to see what and what you cannot do with the software.
    Last edited by Snyxxx; 05-12-2009 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Shoggy was faster than me responding.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Snyxxx View Post
    I have all three. I have not played with the Aquaero or Poweradjust.

Shoggy can help here.

I would download the demo of Aquasuite and you can play around with the various tabs to see what and what you cannot do with the software.
    Yeah i have done that. I cant really understand if i can set the speed of the pump via the software on the poweradjust?

And if I can use auto shutdown with the poweradjust.

@Shoggy

Will i be able to set pump speed from the program? Or will I have to do this with the jumpers?
    Last edited by Brodholm; 05-12-2009 at 12:52 PM.

Aqua Computer Rep
    As said, speed control is no problem but the shutdown will only work when you forward the rpm signal to the mainboard or aquaero.

Back from the Dead
    I use the BigNG to control MCP355 pumps.. just set the voltage corresponding to the water temp (i.e. 8V at 30C water, 9V at 33C and so on) and it'll scale your pump automatically according to your water temps. Theoretically the poweradjust should be abl to do the same.
    However, you'll need to solder the wires of the pump to a 3pin fan connector first.
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoggy View Post
    As said, speed control is no problem but the shutdown will only work when you forward the rpm signal to the mainboard or aquaero.
    Yeah I just wanted it confirmed that i had understood correctly. Because I don't want to use any manual switches and stuff. Just go in the program and set the pump to lets say 20% and 56% if i want to. Just with the help of the software and my mouse.

Forwarding the rpm's signal is easy? Or does it require some special stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by jcool View Post
    I use the BigNG to control MCP355 pumps.. just set the voltage corresponding to the water temp (i.e. 8V at 30C water, 9V at 33C and so on) and it'll scale your pump automatically according to your water temps. Theoretically the poweradjust should be abl to do the same.
    However, you'll need to solder the wires of the pump to a 3pin fan connector first.
    Yeah, This will be no problem. I just want 1,5 GPM at the pumps and leave it like that. Because after that there is almost no gain in temperature i have been told. Maybe thats incorrect.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodholm View Post
    Forwarding the rpm's signal is easy? Or does it require some special stuff?
    Just plug in the blue RPM wire of the DDC into a spare motherboard fan header. Maybe the CPU header is better where you can have a shutdown on too low of an RPM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Snyxxx View Post
    Just plug in the blue RPM wire of the DDC into a spare motherboard fan header. Maybe the CPU header is better where you can have a shutdown on too low of an RPM.
    Is it blue on the DDC? I think mine was yellow.

If I do this I have to sacrifice 2 fan headers on the aquaero for rpm shutdown. Or if I use flow meters and connect them to the aquaero. Then I wont need the rpm shutdown.

How many flow meters can you connect to the aquaero? 1 or 2?

Aqua Computer Rep
    You can connect two. The second one can be connected to fan channel 4 if you configurate it to be used with a flow sensor.

Banned
    since i read this section here is my take on it

the aquareo is weak in terms of power but i have question on monitering the rpm speed of the D5, do just make a T with a flow meter or something
    can the power adjust handle 2 d5 pumps with additional cables?

since i know bigNG more then the aquareo

in a big Ng you can connect your extensions to the main bigNG but can you do that to the aquareo as well to do a shut down?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoggy View Post
    You can connect two. The second one can be connected to fan channel 4 if you configurate it to be used with a flow sensor.
    Ok, But that leaves me with just 3 fan headers left right? And if I'm redirecting the rpm wires from the two pumps I only have 1 fan header left!

But maybe the rpm shutdown is unnecessary if you have flow meters. Or the other way around. I guess flow meters is safer.

The poweradjust also says this:
    Moreover, the poweradjust USB also has an alternative power output which can be used for other pumps or very efficient fans with rpm-signal. The maximum load capacity is 2.5A at 12V (30W total load capacity).
    That would be enough for another 18W pump. If you can connect it? If so that would mean I could use one poweradjust instead of 2 right?

You dont have any plans on a new unit like the aquaero but with more power! Like the TMS 200 but with your software and a totally independent unit? That would be a dream come true... Not really but it would be awesome!

Xtreme Member
    You dont have any plans on a new unit like the aquaero but with more power! Like the TMS 200 but with your software and a totally independent unit? That would be a dream come true... Not really but it would be awesome!

Xtreme Member
    ...You dont have any plans on a new unit like the aquaero but with more power! Like the TMS 200 but with your software and a totally independent unit? That would be a dream come true... Not really but it would be awesome!
    Shoggy already knows this dream of many users by forumdeluxx.de ...
    But he (or his bosses) is/are so bullheaded not to listen to us

Donīt know why Shoggy is not talking about it, but:
    In the download section of Aquacomputer you can find a little plugin for a software called Samurize. With this plugin you are able to monitor any data of the Aquaero and/or the Poweradjust in addition to the original Aquasuite, let it be logged or displayed on your monitor. The format and look of the display on the monitor could be designed free acc. your liking.

What is more you can create a link for each data received to an alarm. What this alarm will be doing could also been defined free (e.g. sounds or even a link to shutdown.exe).

My sys with Aquero and Poweradjust @DDC will shutdown without any query if
    - the pumps rpms undercut 2200
    - the flow undercuts 50 l/h
    - liquids temperature exceeds 38°
    - the rpms of the fan of the power supply undercut 400

But we want Aquaero and Poweradjust in one system, too

Some related news:

For displaying the data of the Aquaero directly in Vistaīs sidebar a small software will be created by KRambo of forumdeluxx.de
    http://www.hardwareluxx.de/community...d.php?t=605017

Perhaps there will be an additional "Laingbooster" available soon. It could be connected to the Aquero directly and will be able to run and control the pump directly with the Aquaero. But it will not be an Aquacomputer product (Shoggy: )

Xtreme Addict
    all we need is a poweadjust with an aquabus connector

i canceled the order of my poweradjust as i see no benefit in using it over running the pump @100% and plugging the RPM wire into the aquaero
    Core i7 2600k|HD 6950|8GB RipJawsX|2x 128gb Samsung SSD 830 Raid0|Asus Sabertooth P67
    Seasonic X-560|Corsair 650D|2x WD Red 3TB Raid1|WD Green 3TB|Asus Xonar Essence STX

Core i3 2100|HD 7770|8GB RipJawsX|128gb Samsung SSD 830|Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
    Bequiet! E9 400W|Fractal Design Arc Mini|3x Hitachi 7k1000.C|Asus Xonar DX

Dell Latitude E6410|Core i7 620m|8gb DDR3|WXGA+ Screen|Nvidia Quadro NVS3100
    256gb Samsung PB22-J|Intel Wireless 6300|Sierra Aircard MC8781|WD Scorpio Blue 1TB

Harman Kardon HK1200|Vienna Acoustics Brandnew|AKG K240 Monitor 600ohm|Sony CDP 228ESD

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by scamps View Post
    Shoggy already knows this dream of many users by forumdeluxx.de ...
    But he (or his bosses) is/are so bullheaded not to listen to us

Donīt know why Shoggy is not talking about it, but:
    In the download section of Aquacomputer you can find a little plugin for a software called Samurize. With this plugin you are able to monitor any data of the Aquaero and/or the Poweradjust in addition to the original Aquasuite, let it be logged or displayed on your monitor. The format and look of the display on the monitor could be designed free acc. your liking.

What is more you can create a link for each data received to an alarm. What this alarm will be doing could also been defined free (e.g. sounds or even a link to shutdown.exe).

My sys with Aquero and Poweradjust @DDC will shutdown without any query if
    - the pumps rpms undercut 2200
    - the flow undercuts 50 l/h
    - liquids temperature exceeds 38°
    - the rpms of the fan of the power supply undercut 400

But we want Aquaero and Poweradjust in one system, too

Some related news:

For displaying the data of the Aquaero directly in Vistaīs sidebar a small software will be created by KRambo of forumdeluxx.de
    http://www.hardwareluxx.de/community...d.php?t=605017

Perhaps there will be an additional "Laingbooster" available soon. It could be connected to the Aquero directly and will be able to run and control the pump directly with the Aquaero. But it will not be an Aquacomputer product (Shoggy: )
    But you are using the poweradjust? The second output can you run a another ddc from that?

I have used samurize before so thats nothing new to me. But the shutdown you get via samurize is a soft shutdown right? If samu fails your shutdown also fails. How do you think that the poweradjust is? Any good? And also do you change speed on your pump? Or does it run at full speed every time? I have heard that most ppl set them at full speed after some weeks and then let it be.

But how much do you actually gain with the pump at full speed? I have heard somewhere that you don't gain much after 1,5GPM? How much does a DDC3.2 get in a normal loop?

"Perhaps there will be an additional "Laingbooster" available soon. It could be connected to the Aquero directly and will be able to run and control the pump directly with the Aquaero. But it will not be an Aquacomputer product (Shoggy: )"

Is there someone that it developing this or is it just your wishes?

Xtreme Member
    1 Poweradjust can only run 1 DDC

I modded my DDC to a DDC+ (max. approx. 4400 rpm). 24/7 it runs (at approx. 2800 rpm to avoid the noise of a DDC at full speed. Full speed is only needed for some testing and for deaeration of the system. The Poweradjust does its work very well. Flow is still beyond 100 l/h most of the time in 24/7 with 2 triplerads, Heatkiller, EK FC on GTX and nb-cooling (13/10 = 3/8" system).

What you said about Samurize is absolutely right. But you have to see it in addition to the built-in alarms of the Aquaero and the Poweradjust, that are working fine, too.

The Laingbooster is not only a wish, it will be ready for beta-testing soon.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    1 Poweradjust can only run 1 DDC

The Laingbooster is not only a wish, it will be ready for beta-testing soon.
    Can you give me a link? And who is producing it? and how soon is soon?!? Maybe ill just get a aquero now and run the pumps at full speed now and then later get the laningbooster .

What functions are we looking at here? You connect it to the aquaero? and then you can get shutdown and stuff? flow meters?

Also, what flowmeter are you doning. And about temp-sensors will any work with the aquaero? Im thinking of these http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/big1tesestfi.html

"1 Poweradjust can only run 1 DDC "

What about this then?
    "Moreover, the poweradjust USB also has an alternative power output which can be used for other pumps or very efficient fans with rpm-signal. The maximum load capacity is 2.5A at 12V (30W total load capacity). "

Xtreme Member
    Canīt give you a link to the Laingbooster, because it is still a private project. But in case of positive testing it will be more than that for sure.
    You will be able to connect it to the Aquero and to control it like a fan, but you will have a lot more power available. Boosting ...

Flowmeters can be connected to Aquaero AND/OR Poweradjust. I prefer the Digmesa: http://www.aquatuning.de/product_inf...-FHKUC-70.html
    Noiseless with high flow, easy to handle with 3/8" and a low pulse rate.

I did also test the GMR with the Aquero: http://www.aquatuning.de/product_inf...nic-incl-.html
    A little bit noisy beyond 200 l/h, hard to connect to tubing, high pulse rate.

The pulse rate is important for use with the Aquero. It can handle only 144.000 pulses/hour. So with the GMR with 492 pulses/l you will get nonsens already @ 290 l/h.

Perhaps you should download the manual for the Poweradjust to understand its functionality: http://www.aquacomputer.de/handbuecher.html

It has only 1 power-output (3-PIN-Molex, with adapter to DDC-4-pin + rpm). This output can be used for a pump OR whatever else ...
    Last edited by scamps; 05-13-2009 at 06:04 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Canīt give you a link to the Laingbooster, because it is still a private project. But in case of positive testing it will be more than that for sure.
    You will be able to connect it to the Aquero and to control it like a fan, but you will have a lot more power available. Boosting ...

Flowmeters can be connected to Aquaero AND/OR Poweradjust. I prefer the Digmesa: http://www.aquatuning.de/product_inf...-FHKUC-70.html
    Noiseless with high flow, easy to handle with 3/8" and a low pulse rate.

I did also test the GMR with the Aquero: http://www.aquatuning.de/product_inf...nic-incl-.html
    A little bit noisy beyond 200 l/h, hard to connect to tubing, high pulse rate.

The pulse rate is important for use with the Aquero. It can handle only 144.000 pulses/hour. So with the GMR with 492 pulses/l you will get nonsens already @ 290 l/h.

Perhaps you should download the manual for the Poweradjust to understand its functionality: http://www.aquacomputer.de/handbuecher.html

It has only 1 power-output (3-PIN-Molex, with adapter to DDC-4-pin + rpm). This output can be used for a pump OR whatever else ...
    Who is making the laningbooster? Is it you? :P
    And how far along are the project? Have you done some testing yet? And most importantly, how big is the booster? I building my own chassis so i need to make space for things if they are big. Or will it be like a fan amps size?

But when you connect something to the aquabus that doesnt take up any fan headers right? I'm still pretty new to the aquacomputer stuff.

What about the new flow meter. It looks really nice an unrestrictive. Heard anything about it?

Edit: my bad abut the aquabus :S
    Last edited by Brodholm; 05-13-2009 at 09:04 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast