Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dissecting the Scythe Gentle Typhoon

Engineering The Xtreme

Dissecting the Scythe Gentle Typhoon

took these pics when I was playing with the new photo set - enjoy

Here you can see where the collar that holds the shaft was - its like other fans but I lost mine in removal so I show you what it looks like.
    The best tool for removal of the collar is either 2 toothpicks or some needle nosed pliers. You just have to separate the two prongs visible there.

As you can see, the blades have a spring to hold them away from the motor hub.

The blades with the two ball bearings that make this fan so nice

cheers,

-Ian

Banned
    thanks know i can paint them some day

Xtreme Member
    nice looking fan right there

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeCosmosS View Post
    thanks know i can paint them some day
    that was my motive for this one too I had an extra 800rpm I wasn't gonna use so I decided to mess around with it

Chasing After Diety
    ur trying to copy wind huh?
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Banned
    the thing with two tooth picks do you just like pry that piece out and the fan slips out?

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    ur trying to copy wind huh?
    well not exactly - I had the little crystal hedgehog in my house and I needed something to make the flat silver nickel surface of my waterblocks interesting to photograph. (see my worklog )

@ cosmos - you just pull the two little prongs you see (very obvious when you see the collar) away from each other and the thing flies off - just be careful because you might loose the collar like I did .

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Thanks for the pics, that does provide some painting/mod potential...It's also interesting how the fan blade casing has two layers of plastic around the magnets. Perhaps this is also to reduce blade vibration type noises or insulate the motor noise some?

I like the mascot too! I need to find one for pics...

Xtreme Addict
    These fans look great, thanks for the pics Sniipe.

Banned
    ill find way to not lose it thx snipe

does the collar simply click on back to the fan or is little more complicated (somewhat of noob with modding fans)

Engineering The Xtreme
    its a spring locked metallic collar so it should just snap itself back on if you press the seam against the shaft

Xtreme Member
    hope you were some gloves the mascot is sharp looking......

Xtreme Enthusiast
    be nice if they made an LED version of these, that would be pretty neat

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Snipe your hands have smoother skin than my hands This saddens me

Engineering The Xtreme
    LOL you should see my hands right now, I am missing half my skin on each thumb and I have no less than 5 bleeding cuts on each finger.... its nasty but its almost finished

Xtreme Addict
    Nice, i keep hearing about these but never paid them any attention. They're a bit ugly, but have had quite a rap lately. Are they any good sniipe?

Engineering The Xtreme
    Love em seriously the best most high quality fan I have ever used, makes a sanace seem like a caveman's toy in that respect. My best way of describing it is the only fan I have ever bought that was actually worth its full $20 price tag, maybe more - I painted the blades of my GT blue and its very nice looking IMO, once its spinning it looks like all other fans yknow, except when the GT spins you can't hear it

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    Love em seriously the best most high quality fan I have ever used, makes a sanace seem like a caveman's toy in that respect. My best way of describing it is the only fan I have ever bought that was actually worth its full $20 price tag, maybe more - I painted the blades of my GT blue and its very nice looking IMO, once its spinning it looks like all other fans yknow, except when the GT spins you can't hear it
    +1

I love mine. The only thing I don't like is the grey blades. I would have liked them black, but now I can go paint them as I see how to take them apart.

Thanks for this SD
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Crunching for Poppabear
    The collar as you call it is a c-clip. You should be able to find them at the local hardware store. And yes you have to be careful with them. They will go flying when you take them off. I use a small flat head screwdriver to remove them.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spotswood View Post
    To avoid loosing the clip during assembly/dis-assembly, place the fan, tools and your hands in a large clear plastic bag e.g. dry cleaning bag.
    Now you tell me!
    I just read the instructions and used a small flat head screw driver and.....PING....The clip went flying! Wish I read the rest of this thread. I know better too.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by dylskee View Post
    Now you tell me!
    I just read the instructions and used a small flat head screw driver and.....PING....The clip went flying! Wish I read the rest of this thread. I know better too.
    You can go to the hardware store and get another one. I hate those things. They always seem to get away from you.

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime359 View Post
    You can go to the hardware store and get another one. I hate those things. They always seem to get away from you.
    My son actually found it for me, I offered him some $$! That thing took off like a rocket but i heard it hit something metal so I had a general idea where it went.

Xtreme Guru
    My son actually found it for me, I offered him some $$! That thing took off like a rocket but i heard it hit something metal so I had a general idea where it went.
    You'll probably find it with the vacuum

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime359 View Post
    You'll probably find it with the vacuum
    On a serious note, I need to buy many of these. Too bad I can't find any XSPC rads in canada :/ .
    Hardware
    • Core i5 750 @ 3.6Ghz (180x20)
    • Scythe Zipang 2
    • 4x2Gb DDR3 (1080@7-7-7-16, 1.65v)
    • Gigabyte P55-UD2
    • EVGA GTX 260, Corsair 550VX, mATX case

Audio/Video
    • Samsung LN32A550 32" 1080p LCD
    • Asus Xonar Essence STX
      1. Denon AH-D2000
      2. Sony STR-DE197 -> Polk Audio M10

Desktop Picture

Xtreme Member
    Useful pics and info mate.

Thanks,
    Arthur
    Extreme ways I know will part the colors of my sea, perfect color me | Arthur's WC Worklog with Lian Li PC-9

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast