Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heatkiller 3.0 problems with Rampage Extreme ...

Question Heatkiller 3.0 problems with Rampage Extreme ...

I've been using the Apogee GTZ with the Xigmatek I7751 crossbow backplate to avoid the fujitsu chip [Asus Rampage Extreme (See picture below)]. Now I'm using the Heatkiller 3.0 (Amazing block btw), and I really like the mounting system, but It doesn't work with the crossbow backplate. I'd really rather buy a compatable backplate then to dremel the HK one.
    Is there a backplate with the hole in the middle that supports this Waterblock?
    ~Evangeline

Xtreme Member
    You should have enough space with the red plastic rings that they provide with the backplate...
    i7 2600K | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | 8GB DDR3 1600 C9 Corsair Vengeance | GTX580 Matrix Platinum | Vertex 2 120GB | Auzen X-Fi HomeTheater HD | Corsair AX1200 | FT02
    EK Supreme HF Full Nickel | MCR320 XP + GT AP15| DDC3.25 + EK Top V2| EK Multioption Res X2 150 Advance | Bitspower Fittings & Rotaries
    My flickr

Xtreme Member
    If you have no option, you can make your own custom backplate for it.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by kpablo View Post
    You should have enough space with the red plastic rings that they provide with the backplate...
    I don't have any red plastic rings ...
    Hmm, the Heatkiller has M4 threads (so I've read), so I guess any backplate that accepts that is fine?
    I'm not too familiar with this :/

Xtreme Enthusiast

It wont work because in the center of the back of the mobo there is a Fujitsu chip. I need a backplate with a hole in the center like the Crossbow.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Just use a dremel to cut a hole in the HK plate? Shouldn't be much trouble. Really stupid chip I must say. Shame on asus for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Brodholm View Post
    Just use a dremel to cut a hole in the HK plate? Shouldn't be much trouble. Really stupid chip I must say. Shame on asus for that!
    I don't own a dremel, though I suppose If need be I'll get one. I just wanted to avoid that situation to begin with, besides, I don't have the HK backplate ... it comes seperately

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SerenadeRB View Post
    I don't own a dremel, though I suppose If need be I'll get one. I just wanted to avoid that situation to begin with, besides, I don't have the HK backplate ... it comes seperately
    Yeah I know (bad from WC imho). Maybe you could borrow a dremel from someone just to make the hole.

Xtreme Member
    maybe the back plate will come with those red plastic rings to space it out..
    8 years in use,, Shuttle an35n ultra, xp2500 @ 2.54, 2 x 512 g.skill, 2-3-2-5 @ 3 volts, sapphire x800 @ 525x510, e-power 520, cpu/nb on water.. SYSTEM II, Asus Maximus se, bios 1302, E8500 @4.5, 2 Hd4870's cf, Corsair tx850, 4x1 Crucial Ballistix @1141, 2x Raptor 74's. raid 0. cpu/nb on water..

Xtreme Member
    Ha! i thought you had a HK backplate...

Yeah, the backplate come with red plastic rings and i think it will solve your problem...
    i7 2600K | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | 8GB DDR3 1600 C9 Corsair Vengeance | GTX580 Matrix Platinum | Vertex 2 120GB | Auzen X-Fi HomeTheater HD | Corsair AX1200 | FT02
    EK Supreme HF Full Nickel | MCR320 XP + GT AP15| DDC3.25 + EK Top V2| EK Multioption Res X2 150 Advance | Bitspower Fittings & Rotaries
    My flickr

Banned
    Heres my solution....
    I took the GTZ mounting hardware off the block and drilled the HK mounting holes a little wider as the GTZ bolts wouldnt fit. I purchased 4 washers to fit fit between the spring and the mounting plate.

Quote Originally Posted by kpablo View Post
    Ha! i thought you had a HK backplate...

Yeah, the backplate come with red plastic rings and i think it will solve your problem...
    I didn't know it came with that. Hmm then I will order it and let you guys know soon how it goes
    Thanks for all the input ^.^

Xtreme Member
    Are you referring to the Asus Rampage 2 extreme X58 board? If so, I have the same board and I'm due to bu a Heatkiller for mine within the next week. Will I run into problems with it on this board?

RoEy

Xtreme Member
    The supreme land of rules and regulations
    RoEy, I'm using the block on that board with the backplate. Just use the red plastic rings that kpablo mentioned and you won't have any problems.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by RoEy View Post
    Are you referring to the Asus Rampage 2 extreme X58 board? If so, I have the same board and I'm due to bu a Heatkiller for mine within the next week. Will I run into problems with it on this board?

RoEy
    Obviously not. Picture shows 4 RAM slots. It's a X48 board!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadasius View Post
    Obviously not. Picture shows 4 RAM slots. It's a X48 board!
    Sorry! I caught this thread half way through and quickly scanned it. Does the R2E X58 even have a chip like the x48 version? I haven't noticed on mine lol.

Century Child, are you using the official Heat Killer backplate? Do you have to purchase the backplate seperately? What's better, the Heatkiller copper or the LT? Was it easy to install the Heatkiller as I was also looking at the Swiftech GTZ too? I'm going to have a gpu block in the loop also, 4870x2. Sorry if I sound daft but I'm new to this.

RoEy
    Last edited by RoEy; 05-27-2009 at 04:51 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Yes and yes. The backplate is not included with the block. There's little difference in performance between the copper and the LT. Pick whichever you like the looks of better. I really like the mounting mechanism of the Heatkiller (though many do not) and did not find it difficult to install. I have also worked with the GTZ and it is the easier of the 2 blocks to install.

Also, the R2E does not have the same chip behind the CPU socket as the X48 version.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by century child View Post
    Yes and yes. The backplate is not included with the block. There's little difference in performance between the copper and the LT. Pick whichever you like the looks of better. I really like the mounting mechanism of the Heatkiller (though many do not) and did not find it difficult to install. I have also worked with the GTZ and it is the easier of the 2 blocks to install.

Also, the R2E does not have the same chip behind the CPU socket as the X48 version.
    Thanks for the help!

RoEy

How much should I tighten the screws with HK 3.0 + backplate & Asus Extreme II X58 ?? For Evga Classified I found that the tension should be about 19.6mm (Those 19.6 mm are from the top of the screw to the top of the mounting bracket.)

Like here :

Is the same for Asus ?? :/

Xtreme Member
    The same mounting pressure is recommended for all boards of the same socket type (LGA 1366 in this case) so yes, it is the same for the Asus board.
    If I'm a danger to myself just think what I could do to you.

I have two more questions . Together with HK 3.0 I get 8 white washers , should I use all of them or just 4 on the standoff screws (between mb and screws) ? Then just put red spacers on the back side and catch the backplate ?

PS.
    Which side should I put the backplate ? Like this ?
    Last edited by SwIeRsZcZ; 09-14-2009 at 09:34 AM.

Xtreme Member
    The picture you have shows the correct orientation. Only use four of the white washers. The other four would normally go on the back side if your weren't using the backplate.

I just wonder if everything is ok.. I mounted backplate as it was said : backplate>red plastic spacer>>MB>plastic washer>steel threaded spacer>Block>bolt and spring and I am afraid if there is metal contact between mobo backplate & HK backplate as shown in the picture. Is it safe ??

Xtreme Member
    Yes, that is fine. It's the same on my board. The block backplate toucing the MB backplate will not cause an electrical short.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast