Thread: Need help sleeving a toughpower 1200watt modular!!

Xtreme Enthusiast

Unhappy Need help sleeving a toughpower 1200watt modular!!

I have been trying to sleeve my Thermaltake toughpower 1200 watt cables for about a month. I have tried 3 different tools, including the sunbeam modding kit and staples...I can get the molex connectors off easily, but the pci-e connectors or the connectors that go into my PSU I cannot get off for the life of me. I can get the pci-e connectors on the extensions I bought off easily with the tools. I just can't get the connectors off my Thermaltake powersupply. The connectors seem very tightly installed, maybe it's a Thermaltake thing? Does anyone have any ideas as this is stopping my Mod and I am getting very frustated.....
    (New build):MSI Big Bang X-power II with XSPC MB blocks, Core I7 3930k@4.6Ghz with HT on, 3x GTX 480 SLI with EK Waterblocks(for now), X-fi Titanium, Gskill quad kit 16GB 2133mhz, 2x240GB Corsair GT SSD's(raid 0), 3xWD 2TB drives, Silverstone Strider ST1500 Watt, Dell3007WFP and 2x Samsung 305T's. Water loop: EK HF CPU block, XSPC RX480 Rad, Coolgate GC480, Airplex Revolution 420 Rad, 2x DDC 3.25 18W with EK dual top, Caselabs STH10 white with customizations....

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You need something really fine to get in there, flat ground down pin, dental pick.

Always nice to have around for late night finger stabbing:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93514

Xtreme Member
    I used sewing pins as per a suggestion over in the PSU sleeving guide that is floating around here somewhere. Just take a pin on each side of the plug, and jam it down in there to get the little clip to push in and slide out. Sometimes it takes a good tug on the wire to pull it out as well.
    Down to a single MATX rig, oh the room!

AMD Phenom II 940 Cooled by a Thermalright SI-128 SE
    DFI Lanparty JR 790gx M2RS
    HIS HD4850 IceQ4+ @ 650/1000
    G Skill PI Black (2x2gb @ 4-4-4-12 800mhz on 1.8v)
    Silverstone ST60F 600w PSU
    WD Caviar Black 640gb / 1Tb
    All Crammed into a Lian Li V350B
    2 x Samsung SyncMaster 2343bwx 23" Monitors

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hmmm, well i will try some other ideas tonight....maybe the sowing pins...Well, if i get the pick kit I can also clean peoples teeth afterwards for low price!! You know, with the bad economy and all!!
    (New build):MSI Big Bang X-power II with XSPC MB blocks, Core I7 3930k@4.6Ghz with HT on, 3x GTX 480 SLI with EK Waterblocks(for now), X-fi Titanium, Gskill quad kit 16GB 2133mhz, 2x240GB Corsair GT SSD's(raid 0), 3xWD 2TB drives, Silverstone Strider ST1500 Watt, Dell3007WFP and 2x Samsung 305T's. Water loop: EK HF CPU block, XSPC RX480 Rad, Coolgate GC480, Airplex Revolution 420 Rad, 2x DDC 3.25 18W with EK dual top, Caselabs STH10 white with customizations....

iv done my corsair HX-1000 which was incredibly difficult compared to every other connector on other psu's i tried

try this

1. use a knife or scissors and *carefully* remove all the stock sleeving and heat shrink from the cables

2. now that you have access to the entire length of the individual cables, make use of it, starting at the end that are not trying to remove, wrap the single cable around your hand right up to the point where there is only a few inches of length remaining on the end that you want to pull it out from

3. insert your removal tool, i found using a single staple, bend into the right shape to do the best job

4. get it in there tight, i would use a bit of force (not enough to bend the staple, but a bit), and bang the connector on the bench to kind of hammer it in there

5. using all the leverage u have with your hand with the cable wrapped around it, pull hard and sharp, to anchor the connector down i would have it under the palm of my other hand and most of my body weight pressing down on it, i also had a towel or piece of cloth between the connector and that hand to prevent cuts

other tips

- try to pull perfectly straight so you are not pulling the cable on an angle and causing unnecessary friction

- if its not working, try another connector, and then another and another till you find one that does come out, once you get one out, youll get more confidence and find ways to do the harder ones

- it is possible than the retention pin on the atx connector (thats the bit that you are pressing in with the staple/removal tool) will get bent in the process, use a pin to get it back into shape before re-inserting the connector after sleeving

good luck
    Lapped e6600 @3.6gig - | - Core i7 940 @ 4.0gig
    Asus P5K Deluxe - | - EVGA Classified
    Antec 900 - | - CoolerMaster Cosmos Black Edition
    2x 1 gig Gskill DDR2 1000Mhz - | - 3x 2 gig Corsair Dominator at 1600Mhz
    3x Seagate 240 Gig HDD - | - 2x 60gig OCZ Vertex SSD
    XFX 8800GTX - | - Palit 2Gb 285GTX
    Antec Quattro 1000W - | - Corsair HX1000 PSU (MurderMod Sleeved)
    Razer AC-1 Barracuda (don't buy this its crap)
    TRUE and a lot of fans! - | - Xigmatek Thors Hammer

I also had a massive amount of trouble sleeving a HX-620. I ended up having to cut each wire, putting the sleeving on and re-soldering it (Yes it took forever and was more trouble than it was worth).

For some reason no matter how many different tools and techniques i tried i couldn't get the connectors out for the life of me, looking back on it i wish i just took it back and got something that was easier to sleeve.

Xtreme Member
    Send it to me. And i might sleeve it and i might then send it back :P

Good luck

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think I may have gotten it to work!! I took the sunbeam tool and made sure the prongs were closer together by squeezing them and pulled HARD and voila! The wire came out!! I will try the rest and see if I can finnaly get this done!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    good to hear you finally got one out - it takes a little getting used to as you have to pull a little harder than you expect.

The trick as some have mentioned previously is to make sure that what ever you are using to press the pins down within the connector are all the way in before trying to pull otherwise it just will not come out.

Once you have done a few more I am sure you will get into the swing of things and the rest will flow naturally - good luck