Thread: Old Case Modding, Ideas?

Banned

Old Case Modding, Ideas?

Hey guys, ive just come across this real old horizontal-case that i got from a customer. It seems like such a waste to chuck this prehistoric badboy out, but for whatever reason im lacking inspiration for what i can do with it!
    Heres some pics of it.

That little pcb on the front used to have the on button / reset button and the all-important Turbo button on it. Im pretty sure ill just rip it right off, and make my own interface for the case.

I am obviously going to have to put something over the front, be it a simple spraypainted board of MDF, or.... well im out of ideas...

Yes thats a removeable motherboard tray.

Thats the ODD/HDD cages, quite a niftly little organization in the case. Quite different to modern cases.

ANYWYAY to the point! I am planning to revamp it and make it look nice for my next build. It might end up being just a HTPC, but it could end up as a proper rig if i get some ideas.

was going to:
    spray the chassis black. And the outer-casing (its like this beige powder-coat, does anyone know if you can just prime+spray that stuff? will it stick?)
    cut out a piece of MDF for the front-panel and spray it black as well. With cutouts for the ODD's of course.
    put in a 120mm (maybe a 200mm) fan on the top blowing directly onto the mobo. Or perhaps 2, one on the left and right of the case.

What do you guys think? The XS community is usually very creative so please! Post up ur ideas!

Thanks in advance

Banned
    hi there,

now i dont want to sound negative, but i have just thrown two of these in a skip, mainly because the work it would take, outweighed the result.

the chassis is made of 2 mm steel (usualy) and is not at all easy to work with, also mods have to be made to make an ATX mobo fit in there.

but if you are hell bent on modding it and have the time, then a HTPC would be an ideal choice.

as for painting it, there should be know problem, light sand, prime and paint.

let us know how you get on, not many of these now that have been modded

Xtreme Member
    What for factor is the motherboard tray ?

Ninja
    Computer Worklog (Scratch Build)- [Great Heights]

"Peace Is About Having A Bigger Stick Than The Other Guy"

Xtreme Member
    It is probably not worth the effort required to make the case presentable when a cheap desktop case starts around the £30 mark.

Personally I would strip the case of anything useful and keep the frame for use elsewhere.
    Hiper HPU-4M880, Q6600@3.6Ghz 1.5V, Abit IP35-E, 2x2GB OCZ Dominator PC8500, [COLOR="Blue"]XFX 6950Watercooled

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    hi there,
    as for painting it, there should be know problem, light sand, prime and paint.

let us know how you get on, not many of these now that have been modded
    That sounds about right for painting it, I'll do that then. Ty sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkninja462 View Post
    What for factor is the motherboard tray ?

Ninja
    It fits a standard ATX board, im fairly sure at least. If it doesnt, it will be easy to drill new mounting-holes in the removeable motherboard tray to make things work out. It definitely wont hold an eATX, its just not a big enough case.

Quote Originally Posted by Easybeat View Post
    It is probably not worth the effort required to make the case presentable when a cheap desktop case starts around the £30 mark.

Personally I would strip the case of anything useful and keep the frame for use elsewhere.
    Its not a matter of saving money, its about the challenge of making something old look new again

thanks guys, any ideas on what i can do with the front-end of the case? I need something to cover up that bare metal :S. Are there any good ways to make a mesh-type cover for the front?

Xtreme Member
    You got other pictures of the motherboard tray ??

Ninja
    Computer Worklog (Scratch Build)- [Great Heights]

"Peace Is About Having A Bigger Stick Than The Other Guy"

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paffy View Post

Its not a matter of saving money, its about the challenge of making something old look new again
    +1, I love doing stuff like this. Makes a fun project!
    24/7 =

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkninja462 View Post
    You got other pictures of the motherboard tray ??

Ninja
    Sure, what did you have in mind?

As i said before, it definitely fits an ATX board on it, i might have to drill new mounting-holes... but thats no issue.

Oh, and thanks Mpetrosino. Too many people focus on saving money, and forget about being creative for the sake of being creative!
    Last edited by paffy; 05-08-2009 at 02:05 AM.