Thread: Silly Putty Used to Fight Phase Condensation

Xtreme Member

Question Silly Putty Used to Fight Phase Condensation

I'm about to hook up my phase and I happen to have a big ball of Silly Putty. Could I use it to fight condensation on my board for 24/7 use?

Lay down my clear nail polish then lay down the Silly Putty is my idea, but I don't know if I even have to paint clear nail polish on the board.

Also someone at TPU never uses de-electrical grease on his CPUs when going sub zero. Do you have to use it? I hate the messy stuff my self.....

EDIT: BE WARNED DO NOT USE SILLY PUTTY
    AMD Socket if it matters...
    Last edited by DaMulta; 05-17-2009 at 08:08 AM.
    Ryba's Ver 4 DryIce/LN2 pot"
    Cryo-Z Phase-R-507A
    AMD 955
    GD70FX
    Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2),DDR3 PC3-16000(2Ghz)
    2 x 4890 MSi OC Cards
    Maze5, Maze4, 120 Black Ice EX, one 240 Black Ice EX
    Fixed speed pump powered by a 17v meanwell

Xtreme Mentor
    Yes...
    Never empower an idiot with a response....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

Seller/Buyer Reputation:
    Heatware: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=50905
    Ebay: {Family Account} Kasyg3 http://myworld.ebay.com/kasyg3/
    Ebay: {My personal Account} Sdumper http://myworld.ebay.com/sdumper/

Xtreme Member
    Don't need the grease, just make sure you have a good airtight seal. I will never use it again. No nail polish, no silly putty, just a good neoprene seal front and back.

Administrator
    I have found no real need for clear nail polish anymore. I use the kneaded eraser and it works just fine. I also put a layer of shop towel then the foam gasket on top of the eraser.

Just make sure you push the eraser down real good and then I use a chop stick to push the eraser into the smaller harder to get at spots like around caps and what not. I fill it up right to the top on the CPU.

At GOOC we benched for something like 6 hours or more under LN2 and my MB was dry as a bone. Don't forget to put the eraser on the back side of the MB also.

I also use this for 24/7 Phase setups and it works very well also. No more grease in the socket or nail polish for me

Xtreme Member
    Normaly I just nail polish/sliver tape insulation tape/then black insulation tape.

Then I seen the clay, but thought that would be bad for long time use. Yet, I have seen the eraser more and more in use. In fact I left to go buy that eraser stuff today but they were sold out

They did have a lot of Silly Putty tho(I bought 5 double packs), and then I opened this thread just to get a one last go for it......

Sadly I have looked all over town(without ordering it online and I'm doing this today) for neoprene with no luck whats so ever many of a times...At least I don't know where to find sided tape neoprene strips. I have found it with no sticky crap tape on it.
    Cryo-Z Phase-R-507A
    AMD 955
    GD70FX
    2 x 4890 MSi OC Cards

I loaded my board with di-electric grease, I have no problems using it but when time comes to sell the board(if you want to) its a mess to clean. I honestly don't think I need the grease for my 24/7 unit, I think as long as you have a good mouting plate and evap chamber that is screwed down fairly tight you should be good to go with jsut neoprene.

Also id love to hear how that cryo-z works for ya on the Phenom 2
    Last edited by GunnerMan; 05-05-2009 at 08:01 PM.

I'm getting ready to jump into the phase change arena, and have been told the eraser is the best bet, and can be found at art stores. Also been advised to use neoprene, but not really clear on the requirements there??

I am Xtreme
    Insulation in refrigeration is a 2 part process,insulation stops heat movement & a vapor barrier stops moisture/water movement through the insulation. Neoprene ,being a CLOSED CELL foam does both at once,insulates and stops moisture from passing through it. You can tell neoprene from foam, if you dunk it in water it won't absorb it like a sponge(open cell foam).
    The Laws of Thermodynamics say:

Zeroth Law: "You must play the game."
    First Law: "You can't win."
    Second Law: "You can't break even."
    Third Law: "You can't quit the game."

Do you wanna Play Thermodynamics ???????? I forgot "you must"

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by wdrzal View Post
    Insulation in refrigeration is a 2 part process,insulation stops heat movement & a vapor barrier stops moisture/water movement through the insulation. Neoprene ,being a CLOSED CELL foam does both at once,insulates and stops moisture from passing through it. You can tell neoprene from foam, if you dunk it in water it won't absorb it like a sponge(open cell foam).
    Use the neoprene on the back of the MB. Put a layer of Frost King or Eraser, layer of shop towel to absorrb any moisture, then the neoprene.

I drilled holes for the mounting screws first.

I did use neoprene at first but stopped sometime ago, don't really remember why LOL. Now it's just eraser and thin layer of foam. This works for me in both LN2 and Phase.

Here is a thread on how I did the Classified. It's pretty much the same for any board tho.
    At GOOC I saw many people doing things different than I do, just about everyone has there own way of doing things. This works for me tho. Good Luck and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.
    http://www.411overkill.com/forum/php...hp?f=92&t=4956

I did the exact same thing on the Gigabyte MB at the event, after what 8 hours of LN2 benching my board was dry as a bone.

oh just thought of it, does Silly Putty hold up in water very well ?
    Last edited by Buckeye; 05-06-2009 at 06:23 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMan View Post
    Also id love to hear how that cryo-z works for ya on the Phenom 2
    Me too...Ive been thinking on getting it.
    *CPU: Xeon X5650 @ 4.3 Ghz | Cooler: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme
    *Asus Rampage III Formula | RAM: 36GB DDR3 (Tracer LED + Hyper X Savage)
    *Video Cards: Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti
    Sound Card: Sound Blaster Z | PSU: Corsair HX1000W | Display: BenQ PD3200u | JVC RS520 projector
    *Case: CoolerMaster HAF X (932 side panel) | Others: Roccat Kone AIMO | Roccat Alumic | Logitech G15 |Cameras: Sony A7R3 | RX100 V

Xtreme Member
    DO NOT USE THIS CRAP

IT WORKS UNTILL A SPILL HITS IT BECAUSE IT SOAKS IT UP WITH IT!

Then it's all hell from there!

Silly putty= DON'T DO IT!
    Cryo-Z Phase-R-507A
    AMD 955
    GD70FX
    2 x 4890 MSi OC Cards

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMulta View Post
    DO NOT USE THIS CRAP

IT WORKS UNTILL A SPILL HITS IT BECAUSE IT SOAKS IT UP WITH IT!

Then it's all hell from there!

Silly putty= DON'T DO IT!
    So this means you tested it?

Hardware still alive?

Was thinking about using it as well, but this doesn't really encourage me.

Xtreme Member
    Ok silly putty as you know you leave it on the table and it flattens it's way out....well its going to flatten it's way into your cpu socket(with your cpu installed)/underyour ram sockers....I'd rather scape off nail poish than try and get that crap out of a cpu scoket again......

I used it for days tho, I just had a splash of everclear on it....Then tried to get it all off but could not get it out of under one ram slot. all the other three where working and it was booting. untill I smashed it in a little more trying to get it out and making it a result of the whole board not starting at all.....

I washed it off in the dishwasher/sink I tired to turn it on about half a day later yesturday. All the lights are spinng but no one is home.So I took the cover/heatsink off the mosfets and have let a fan run on it for I would say30 hours now.....I will try to boot it today.
    Last edited by DaMulta; 05-19-2009 at 12:59 AM.
    Cryo-Z Phase-R-507A
    AMD 955
    GD70FX
    2 x 4890 MSi OC Cards

Xtreme Member
    That sucks man.

Quote Originally Posted by DaMulta View Post
    Ok silly putty as you know you leave it on the table and it flattens it's way out....well its going to flatten it's way into your cpu socket(with your cpu installed)/underyour ram sockers....I'd rather scape off nail poish than try and get that crap out of a cpu scoket again......

I used it for days tho, I just had a splash of everclear on it....Then tried to get it all off but could not get it out of under one ram slot. all the other three where working and it was booting. untill I smashed it in a little more trying to get it out and making it a result of the whole board not starting at all.....

I washed it off in the dishwasher/sink I tired to turn it on about half a day later yesturday. All the lights are spinng but no one is home.So I took the cover/heatsink off the mosfets and have let a fan run on it for I would say30 hours now.....I will try to boot it today.
    You should of just called me and got some armaflex like I told you D.