Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tom's Hardware: ATI Radeon HD 4770 In CrossFire: Unbeatable At $220

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    the fact of the matter is anytime a single gpu from a CF setup would have dropped below ~15fps on its own the game starts to see major stutter. Personally I'm not sure if its micro stutter or not but it is a result of pushing the card too far. (frame data too large, so and so)

this is why 4770 CF ≠ 4890 among other reasons.

As CF gets better we may see that minimum frame rate of >15 fps per gpu get lower but i dont think this will happen until GPU arch evolves and we begin to see "dual core" gpus
    Will we ever see "Dual-Core" Gpus?

I made a thread about it on another forum and I became a laughstock since GPUs have been "multi-core" forever, RV770 = 800 Shader Processors.

Or am I very-very off here?
    SweClockers.com

CPU: Phenom II X4 955BE
    Clock: 4200MHz 1.4375v
    Memory: Dominator GT 2x2GB 1600MHz 6-6-6-20 1.65v
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    GPU: HD 5770

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartidiot89 View Post

I made a thread about it on another forum and I became a laughstock since GPUs have been "multi-core" forever, RV770 = 800 Shader Processors.

Or am I very-very off here?
    Two GPUs integrated on the same chip is basically what the RV670->RV770 transisiton was, from 320 to 800 stream processors.

We may see MCM GPUs which have two chips on the same package connected via PCI-E, though.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    It makes more sense to get a 4890
    Fixed.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartidiot89 View Post
    there's already been a dual core gpu. the 7950x2 from the past, but that was a failure.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by KoHaN69 View Post
    Fixed.
    Huh I don't get it.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFireDragon View Post
    there's already been a dual core gpu. the 7950x2 from the past, but that was a failure.
    was that 2 chips in one die though? iirc it wasnt

-checked- Its dual PCB which isn't what he was getting at,

what the person meant is like intels C2Q in that it's 2 C2D chips "stuck" together in one die..
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

I am Xtreme
    the industry has found its sweet spot between price, yield rates, and scalability. ATI wasnt about being the fastest, but the fastest per dollar. look back at the massive 2900xt which was pretty powerful compared to a 1900 series, but consumed way to much power, and probably had crappy yield rates. while making a C2D style chip is surly possible, im thinking they dont need it in their market.

however it would be sweet for them to make a duel 4870 and compare it to a 4870x2, given it will have 2 chips and share 1GB, vs having separated chips and needing to double the memory, i think we would love to see the performance and power differences. if they found out it was 10% faster and used 10% less energy, and was even able to fit on a pcb 2-3" shorter than an X2, id think they should try it out. the only question left would be, what number would they call it? a 4970 or a 4875 or something else?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    the industry has found its sweet spot between price, yield rates, and scalability. ATI wasnt about being the fastest, but the fastest per dollar. look back at the massive 2900xt which was pretty powerful compared to a 1900 series, but consumed way to much power, and probably had crappy yield rates. while making a C2D style chip is surly possible, im thinking they dont need it in their market.

however it would be sweet for them to make a duel 4870 and compare it to a 4870x2, given it will have 2 chips and share 1GB, vs having separated chips and needing to double the memory, i think we would love to see the performance and power differences. if they found out it was 10% faster and used 10% less energy, and was even able to fit on a pcb 2-3" shorter than an X2, id think they should try it out. the only question left would be, what number would they call it? a 4970 or a 4875 or something else?
    But then wouldn't they be forced to use more memory and a larger bit-width? Also even something like a MCM version of the 4770 would then need a CPU cooler, right, I'm not sure, just asking here? I think they would go back to the 9xxx's for the name like V9540 or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

I am Xtreme
    the 4870: 800 stream processors, 256 bit GDDR5 and 512MB (i think i have the specs right)
    chip #1 has 1600 SPs, 512 bit of 1GB (this would be the duel chip combined)
    chip #2 has 2x 800 SPs, 2x 256 bit of 1GB each (this would be the X2)

technical specs look the same with the exception of the difference in ram size. but in theory id think the first one would perform better since the 2 chips would talk to each other at much better speeds and lower latency (i guess) and would probably be more versatile since it wouldnt have to worry about xfire scalability, it would just be 100% more powerful in any situation, instead of up to 90% in alot.

I am Xtreme
    the 4870: 800 stream processors, 256 bit GDDR5 and 512MB (i think i have the specs right)
    chip #1 has 1600 SPs, 512 bit of 1GB (this would be the duel chip combined)
    chip #2 has 2x 800 SPs, 2x 256 bit of 1GB each (this would be the X2)

technical specs look the same with the exception of the difference in ram size. but in theory id think the first one would perform better since the 2 chips would talk to each other at much better speeds and lower latency (i guess) and would probably be more versatile since it wouldnt have to worry about xfire scalability, it would just be 100% more powerful in any situation, instead of up to 90% in alot.
    Makes sense to me, but like the guys above, I talked about MCM and adding another 256bit memory and got flamed and laughed at.
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

I am Xtreme
    yeah, cpus and gpus are totally different, for all we know it may not be physically possible to have C2D type gpu

Xtreme Addict
    The higher resolution tests with filters on show how much of a short-lived "price/performance king" this CF HD4770 system is.
    Lack of RAM is a problem that just gets exponentially worse with time, and several developers have said that RAM amount will play an increasingly important role in upcoming games.

The lack of memory is pushing back these GPUs a lot, Unless it's a system to use with a 720p LCD TV/projector.
    2*HD4770 1GB would make sense but then again, higher-density GDDR5 is very expensive (not to mention almost unexistent). It would make the whole bang-for-the-buck theme of this GPU a bit pointless.

The current ATI line-up is quite good as it is:
    - $100: get the HD4770
    - $150: get the HD4870 512MB
    - $220: get the HD4890 1GB

If some retailer comes out with cheap (>$120) 1GB HD4770s, then Crossfiring them would be a good idea. But remember we would be already limiting our system's upgradeability by putting two graphics cards in it right from the start.

I am Xtreme
    yeah, cpus and gpus are totally different, for all we know it may not be physically possible to have C2D type gpu
    But nothing wrong with dreaming!

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by ToTTenTranz View Post
    The higher resolution tests with filters on show how much of a short-lived "price/performance king" this CF HD4770 system is.
    Lack of RAM is a problem that just gets exponentially worse with time, and several developers have said that RAM amount will play an increasingly important role in upcoming games.

The lack of memory is pushing back these GPUs a lot, Unless it's a system to use with a 720p LCD TV/projector.
    2*HD4770 1GB would make sense but then again, higher-density GDDR5 is very expensive (not to mention almost unexistent). It would make the whole bang-for-the-buck theme of this GPU a bit pointless.

The current ATI line-up is quite good as it is:
    - $100: get the HD4770
    - $150: get the HD4870 512MB
    - $220: get the HD4890 1GB

If some retailer comes out with cheap (>$120) 1GB HD4770s, then Crossfiring them would be a good idea. But remember we would be already limiting our system's upgradeability by putting two graphics cards in it right from the start.
    Yes but you can do much better shopping than that. The economy is still sucking very badly. Pricewatch and PriceGrabber have High-end video cards at all time lows!
    4890 for $235 with a $20 MIR for a final cost of $215.
    4870 512MB $175 and 1GB for $186.
    4850 going for 1GB for $156 and
    even a 4850 for X2 for $237.
    $189 for the 260/216 GF as well.

The only reason I haven't upgraded is I can't make up my mind which on to get I don't think 4770 X 2 is that great of deal except for power savings.

Another thing I don't get. How can some folks complain about 8 X 8 for Crossfire while we know X2 versions of the cards rock. An X2 Card would have the same effective bandwidth as PCI-E 8 X 8 on many Intel chipsets, right?

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

I am Xtreme
    i think we need a site that compares all cards with their typical OC to each other. so many choices/configurations in the 200-300$ range and a deal breaker might be quite clear if we showed price/performance ratios after their OC.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie27 View Post
    I talked about MCM and adding another 256bit memory and got flamed and laughed at.
    I wouldn't take it too seriously bro. People get flamed and laughed at for many reasons here at XS. There are a lot of 13 years old 1337 haxors lurking here thinking they know everthing and the only way to show this is by ridiculing the others.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by G0ldBr1ck View Post
    Seriously man, times have changed CF works great. You kinda remind me of those old farts that refuse to use a computer "I dont need that new fangled crap, Its just a fad I tell ya"
    True story. CF works really well on nearly every game now a days. Sounds like someone has e-penis envy.
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Quadwing View Post
    I love the concept behind CF/SLI, but most games that I own show very little difference between single/dual configurations.
    So you're processor bottlenecked maybe?
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Xtreme Addict
    Another thing I don't get. How can some folks complain about 8 X 8 for Crossfire while we know X2 versions of the cards rock. An X2 Card would have the same effective bandwidth as PCI-E 8 X 8 on many Intel chipsets, right?
    True... 8x isn't really a problem yet regardless of what some people claim.

Xtreme Member
    There are some interesting discussion and debates in this thread. I'm suprised that nobody mentioned the worst part of this article, it's on Tom's Hardware. Any shred of quality on that site was lost 10 years ago. My best advice would be to do the exact opposite of anything that's suggested on Tom's Hardware.
    i5 750 @ 4.2ghz
    EVGA P55 FTW
    8gig G.Skill Ripjaw @ 1055mhz
    Gigabyte 6950 modded
    Seasonic X-650
    Antec P180 modded and watercooled
    Thermochill PA160
    Apogee XT
    MCP350

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by SamHughe View Post
    I wouldn't take it too seriously bro. People get flamed and laughed at for many reasons here at XS. There are a lot of 13 years old 1337 haxors lurking here thinking they know everthing and the only way to show this is by ridiculing the others.
    Yeah I know, I just feel sorry for the threads their lurking in

Quote Originally Posted by Vinas
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie27
    That's what I thought, thanks!

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinas View Post
    8x does have minor drops in performance. 5-10% at most if not mistaken at the 1920x1200 res depending on the game. Course those tests where done a while back and with 4850's. Not nearly as bad as a 8x 4x or 16x 4x setup which can have drops much much higher.
    -=The Gamer=-
    MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz | 1.3875V | 28C Idle / 65C Load (LinX)
    8Gig G.Skill Ripjaw PC3-12800 9-9-9-24 @ 1600Mhz w/ 1.5V | TR Ultra eXtreme 120 w/ 2 Fans
    Sapphire 7950 VaporX 1150/1500 w/ 1.2V/1.5V | 32C Idle / 64C Load | 2x 128Gig Crucial M4 SSD's
    BitFenix Shinobi Window Case | SilverStone DA750 | Dell 2405FPW 24" Screen
    -=The Server=-
    Synology DS1511+ | Dual Core 1.8Ghz CPU | 30C Idle / 38C Load
    3 Gig PC2-6400 | 3x Samsung F4 2TB Raid5 | 2x Samsung F4 2TB
    Heat

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by deathman20 View Post
    8x does have minor drops in performance. 5-10% at most if not mistaken at the 1920x1200 res depending on the game. Course those tests where done a while back and with 4850's. Not nearly as bad as a 8x 4x or 16x 4x setup which can have drops much much higher.
    5 to 10%, that much, really?

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

I am Xtreme
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...crossfire.html

Crossfire on P45 isn't the same as asking about Crossfire on X58 or etc.....

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/15...45/index5.html

That's the board I'm using. That's why I'd rather go with X2 but want something that's cooler and draws less power than 2 4850's or X2 4850!

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

Xtreme Addict
    5 to 10%, that much, really?
    The comparison was done on a X38 board if not mistaken. If I can find the test results I'll post the link, was sometime mid last year.
    -=The Gamer=-
    MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz | 1.3875V | 28C Idle / 65C Load (LinX)
    8Gig G.Skill Ripjaw PC3-12800 9-9-9-24 @ 1600Mhz w/ 1.5V | TR Ultra eXtreme 120 w/ 2 Fans
    Sapphire 7950 VaporX 1150/1500 w/ 1.2V/1.5V | 32C Idle / 64C Load | 2x 128Gig Crucial M4 SSD's
    BitFenix Shinobi Window Case | SilverStone DA750 | Dell 2405FPW 24" Screen
    -=The Server=-
    Synology DS1511+ | Dual Core 1.8Ghz CPU | 30C Idle / 38C Load
    3 Gig PC2-6400 | 3x Samsung F4 2TB Raid5 | 2x Samsung F4 2TB
    Heat

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast