Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tom's Hardware: ATI Radeon HD 4770 In CrossFire: Unbeatable At $220

Arrow Tom's Hardware: ATI Radeon HD 4770 In CrossFire: Unbeatable At $220

Some things are better in pairs. We we were impressed by the Radeon HD 4770 as a standalone card priced at $109. However, you asked to see how it performed in CrossFire. Well, if we liked the card before, we love it now.
    it seems that AMD has another winner here. makes u kinda wanna reconsider spending an extra $30 on a 4890 don't u think? it wld be interesting to see what rebranded card NVIDIA comes up this time! terrific value-for-money here...

Xtreme Addict
    CF/SLI configuration - useless.

Neeext.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    These cards look fun as hell. Can't wait till someone slaps LN2 pots on them

Quote Originally Posted by Calmatory View Post

Neeext.
    Egh.. you can't see past the two cards and see the awesome performance being wrung out of two $100 cards

I am Xtreme
    this card makes me wish they built the bigger chips in 40nm sooner

Xtreme Addict

Neeext.
    Seriously man, times have changed CF works great. You kinda remind me of those old farts that refuse to use a computer "I dont need that new fangled crap, Its just a fad I tell ya"
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

version 2.0
    4770 X2 would be cool too.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    These cards look fun as hell. Can't wait till someone slaps LN2 pots on them

Egh.. you can't see past the two cards and see the awesome performance being wrung out of two $100 cards
    Who cares about the performance when there are issues due to the nature of the CF?

Some people only care about what their FPS counter tells them, maybe they are happy with the setup.

I am Xtreme
    we do need some new reviews going over micro stuttering with low to high end cards of the last and new generations, havnt seen one in months

Engineering The Xtreme
    Who cares about the performance when there are issues due to the nature of the CF?

Some people only care about what their FPS counter tells them, maybe they are happy with the setup.
    dont be foolish, how many times do we have to go over it - micro stutter is not a problem under normal gaming circumstances - not even a hint of it on my OCed 4870x2 @ 1920x1200

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    we do need some new reviews going over micro stuttering with low to high end cards of the last and new generations, havnt seen one in months
    Yeah I was wondering that too. I might consider 4890 CF setup replacing my 285 (I'm on a X38 so no SLI for me).

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    dont be foolish, how many times do we have to go over it - micro stutter is not a problem under normal gaming circumstances - not even a hint of it on my OCed 4870x2 @ 1920x1200
    i dont think that is true, ive seen micro stuttering too and i have a single card. there were rumors that a quad core cpu was causing it.

theres so much speculation in this that ever individual setup may see it excessively or never depending on the one or two differences.

Engineering The Xtreme
    weve all seen micro stuttering, but what im saying is that if you dont push your card to do crysis/FC2 @ 8xaa 1920x1200 ultra high then your not gonna see stuttering. at least in my experience this is true

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    weve all seen micro stuttering, but what im saying is that if you dont push your card to do crysis/FC2 @ 8xaa 1920x1200 ultra high then your not gonna see stuttering. at least in my experience this is true
    You might be right, as one bud told me, he didn't see it (ms) until he moved to a 24" monitor 1920 X 1200. I've never seen it at 1600 X 1050. I kind of hate it when folks who's not seen it claim it doesn't happen. Yet, next time I upgrade a 4850, I'll keep it for some crossfire action of my own LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dr- View Post
    it seems that AMD has another winner here. makes u kinda wanna reconsider spending an extra $30 on a 4890 don't u think? it wld be interesting to see what rebranded card NVIDIA comes up this time! terrific value-for-money here...
    thanks for the link!

Xtreme Addict
    i wouldnt feel comfortable with just 512mb...
    DFI P965-S/core 2 quad q6600@3.2ghz/4gb gskill ddr2 @ 800mhz cas 4/xfx gtx 260/ silverstone op650/thermaltake xaser 3 case/razer lachesis

Xtreme Addict
    you know how I know microstuttering has been blown out of proportion?

When people with single cards see it

I bey most people would never have seen it until people started reading about. Then magically any frame that seems incorrect is microstrutering when it could be countless other factors

Xtreme Member
    Nice.

Bleh @ mS whiners, we i play a game i concentrate on the game itself, not in the imaginary impercerptible microsecond of delay that is nothing more than subjective these days
    Last edited by JohnJohn; 05-04-2009 at 12:09 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I run two 4670's in CF and get no microstuttering there.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?

You are stuck in 2007. CF and CFX have advanced considerably

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    i dont think that is true, ive seen micro stuttering too and i have a single card. there were rumors that a quad core cpu was causing it.

theres so much speculation in this that ever individual setup may see it excessively or never depending on the one or two differences.
    No.

That's not microstuttering.

That's just your card not being able to keep up.

There's a difference.
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by cegras View Post
    No.

That's not microstuttering.

That's just your card not being able to keep up.

There's a difference.
    Where's the link to that MicroStutter video some one made?
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie27 View Post
    Where's the link to that MicroStutter video some one made?
    When was that link dated, eehmmm..?

If you guys don't like the fact that you can get that kind of performance with $220 then don't buy it. Damn. How many of you who go on about this micro stuttering crap have actually seen it in person? Much less, have you even recently tried it? I had the chance to use two 4850s in CF and I didn't see any damned stuttering.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. Simple as that.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie27 View Post
    You might be right, as one bud told me, he didn't see it (ms) until he moved to a 24" monitor 1920 X 1200. I've never seen it at 1600 X 1050. I kind of hate it when folks who's not seen it claim it doesn't happen. Yet, next time I upgrade a 4850, I'll keep it for some crossfire action of my own LOL!
    That's too bad cause the only reason I'd be willing to spend money on 2 ATI cards is the fact that I can play my games 1920x1200 with max AA+AAF. Why else anyone wanna deal with the expenses, heat and the CF driver issues?

Also, from what you are telling, your friend's system seems to having hard time keeping up with the performance level. I don't think what you describe here is a micro suttering issue. Micro suttering should be apparent regardless of the resolution (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

Xtreme Addict
    The issue really has gone out of proportion these days. These days, we've got people crying ms over things like tearing, choppy framerates, which are entirely different issues.

That said, ms isn't the only kind of grief multi-GPU solutions are able to provide, and some of us have genuinely had bad experiences in the past with it. If the companies want us to buy more than one card, it's up to them to make sure the experience is good the first time.
    i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | GTX Titan | Corsair DDR3-2133

Xtremely Hot Sauce
    Quote Originally Posted by MpG View Post
    The issue really has gone out of proportion these days. These days, we've got people crying ms over things like tearing, choppy framerates, which are entirely different issues.

That said, ms isn't the only kind of grief multi-GPU solutions are able to provide, and some of us have genuinely had bad experiences in the past with it. If the companies want us to buy more than one card, it's up to them to make sure the experience is good the first time.
    This is technology, not home design. If want to live on the bleeding edge of consumer gear, your wallet and your patience is going to bleed. Very few things are "good" first time around. I can agree that they should work more on providing a good experience initially, but that's not really a business option, except for the largest of the large. If all technology was perfected before consumers could get their hands on it, odds are we'd be running Radeon 7500s and GeForce 2s. In short, it's a lot more cost effective to release products before they're 100% done, as then you can troubleshoot the issues as they happen. When a programmer writes a code to the best of their abilities, odds are heavily against it being bug-free.

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast