Thread: (Relatively) Accurate and precise 2-wire temp sensors?

Xtreme Member

(Relatively) Accurate and precise 2-wire temp sensors?

I know the 1-wire digital sensors are the best. However, I'm looking for something that provides relatively accurate results with a high degree of precision, while being compatible with the standard temp sensor header. I'd like the results to be correct, but reproducibility is far more important to me than if I'm half a degree off, as long as ALL my sensors are half a degree off.

Xtreme Legend
    "standard temp sensor header" .. do you mean i2c?

how accurate is "accurate" ? 1.0°C ? what means "relatively" ? maxim dallas has good stuff that should be what you are looking for. or were you looking for something that measures temperature via an external diode and converts it to a numeric value?

buy 50, calibrate them over your typical range, pick the best ones or just calibrate and adjust each sensor's measurement individually.

describe your project

Xtreme Member
    Essentially, I'm trying to measure air-in/air-out values for a radiator on a test bench. I've already got a bigNG, which has loads of temp sensor headers. I'm sorry I don't know the technical term for the type, but its the kind that you would commonly find on a motherboard, fan controller, etc. If I can get it, I'd like something with a resolution of half a degree Celsius or better, but I have to settle for what's available.

Xtreme Addict
    You'll probably have to do what Wizzard said - buy a bunch and see which ones behave the best. Most sensors have a higher resolution than accuracy, so while it might give you a number to the nearest 0.5C, it could easily be accurate to only +/- 2C.

Case in point, THESE are the sensors that are used in the BigNG's digital sensors. Resolution to the nearest 0.125C, but only accurate to +/- 2C. I was a little disappointed when I pulled up the info.
    i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | GTX Titan | Corsair DDR3-2133