Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 955 overclocks/performs better @ DDR 2 or 3 ?

Xtreme Guru

955 overclocks/performs better @ DDR 2 or 3 ?

now that 955s been out for a while.. what you guys experiencing ?

ive achieved higher clocks/performance/stability @ ddr2 1000 than @ ddr3 2000 on the q9650.. just wondering if 955 is any different

thanks for any input

Xtreme Addict
    dont think so..
    1. ASUS Sabertooth 990fx | FX 8320 || 2. DFI DK 790FXB-M3H5 | X4 810
    8GB Samsung 30nm DDR3-2000 9-10-10-28 || 4GB PSC DDR3-1333 6-7-6-21
    Corsair TX750W | Sapphire 6970 2GB || BeQuiet PurePower 450w | HD 4850
    EK Supreme | AC aquagratix | Laing Pro | MoRa 2 || Aircooled

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by NapalmV5 View Post
    now that 955s been out for a while.. what you guys experiencing ?

ive achieved higher clocks/performance/stability @ ddr2 1000 than @ ddr3 2000 on the q9650.. just wondering if 955 is any different

thanks for any input
    I think chew*(among others) did some comparo runs with ddr2/3 on 955. It seems ddr3 has some wall on ~1800MHz on current IMC rev. of Denebs. It isn't much of an issue since performance all around is better than with ddr2,especially when you ramp up the northbridge/L3 clocks to ~2.6Ghz(and upward) to avoid the bottleneck there.

So to recap,my opinion is that 955 with same NB/L3 clocks and DDR3 @ 1600Mhz cas 7 is faster some ~5% in real world apps than same 955 with DDR2 @ 1066Mhz cas5.

Xtreme Addict
    ok to be precise.. i dont think that nb/core oc is any different (at max some mhz but thats due to different overall setups/boards/stressing of the components).

ddr3 oc of course is limited by the imc now, but 800mhz cl6 is achievable with good ram and thats really fast even compared to ddr2-1200 cl5 (as my own testing goes) what you wont get stable with most rams.

so either go with your beloved am2+ mobo and ddr2 ram if you have some (i think you dont though ) and enjoy the higher oc margin the 955 has, or go with new am3 mobo and enjoy ddr3 speeds the cpu itself will do good on both platforms and ddr3 will make it even faster..
    1. ASUS Sabertooth 990fx | FX 8320 || 2. DFI DK 790FXB-M3H5 | X4 810
    8GB Samsung 30nm DDR3-2000 9-10-10-28 || 4GB PSC DDR3-1333 6-7-6-21
    Corsair TX750W | Sapphire 6970 2GB || BeQuiet PurePower 450w | HD 4850
    EK Supreme | AC aquagratix | Laing Pro | MoRa 2 || Aircooled

Xtreme Guru
    i see.. thanks guys.. i guess id have to get both ud5p and see what max oc/performance i would get on both platforms..

again.. thanks for your input/time

Personally, I've seen better performance with DDR3. While both are at 3.2GHz, a 940 with DDR2-1066 and a 955 with DDR3-1600, the DDR2 system completes Cinebench R10 in 1m15s while the DDR3 system completes in 1m5s. Of course, these are on different mobos, but there's a potential advantage there.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Brilliant Idiot
    ddr III is faster, you have to sit and tweak for hours to get 1200 5-5-5 and 1333 6-6-6 will still beat it......which took me about 10 minutes to acchieve prime stable with....
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Personally, I've seen better performance with DDR3. While both are at 3.2GHz, a 940 with DDR2-1066 and a 955 with DDR3-1600, the DDR2 system completes Cinebench R10 in 1m15s while the DDR3 system completes in 1m5s. Of course, these are on different mobos, but there's a potential advantage there.
    yes.. default clocks perform better @ ddr3 both intel and now amd

but that changes the higher the clocks go.. basically the ddr3 parts just crap out while the ddr2 parts seem to have no limit

Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    ddr III is faster, you have to sit and tweak for hours to get 1200 5-5-5 and 1333 6-6-6 will still beat it......which took me about 10 minutes to acchieve prime stable with....
    what about max oc ? which offers more performance.. ddr 2 or 3 ?

same has been said ever since ddr3 came out about intel cpus.. and i agree.. but when i max oc time and time again i get higher clocks+performance on ddr2

in other words.. im interested what the 955s stamina is.. ddr2/3

the jedi master
    an apples to apples comparison. New tech Vs old tech...DDR2 Vs DDR3 same CPU, same ram speed same timings (except TRAS)

CPU 955 @ check CPU-Z
    Memory DDR2 1055Blade @1200 5-5-5-18 2T (1t was set in bios)
    memory DDR3 1333Animal @1200 5-5-5-24 1T
    motherboard DFI 790FX M2R
    motherboard MSI 790FX GD70
    SSD on both systems OS=WinXP32
    Watercoling by OCZ flat base bowed blocks.

Test, encode DVD FILM 720/480 to Xvid 1280/960 1500MB file size mp3 160VBR audio with Auto GK...

Results: DFI

Results: MSI

Conclusion...MSI DG70 wins by 7mins and 52secs

Pretty conclusive to me running apples to apples GD70/DDR3 wins.Overall test time includes MP3 conversion etc, actual frame rate conversion are very similar.

I will now retest with MSI over 1333 6-6-6-24
    Last edited by Tony; 05-03-2009 at 05:23 AM.
    Got a problem with your OCZ product....?
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Tuning PC's for speed...Run whats fast, not what you think is fast

the jedi master
    Slight tweak to get close to same CPU CPU-Nb and HT speed with 1333+ ram.

This gains a little more speed:

Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Nice results, Tony. Looks like even at the high end, DDR3 is maintaining superiority.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

the jedi master
    test continues 1600+MHz 7-7-7-24 1T MSI

Still gaining...so pi is better with low ram speed tight timings...encoding is gaining with ram speed 7-7-7-24 timings. i think going to 8-8-8-24 will kill performance though.

Trying to get 1700+ 7-7-7-24 stable for another test, again CPU speed etc is real close

This test was 42 secs faster over the 1333+ test
    Last edited by Tony; 05-03-2009 at 08:34 AM.
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

the jedi master

DDR2 hits back but still falls short

4-4-4-15 just shy of 1000, stopped here to match CPU speed.

so 4-4-4-15 1000 is faster than 1200 5-5-5-18...
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Xtreme Addict
    It's funny, with my DDR3 system, "stability" seems to be kind of a gray area. For instance, I can test dead stable in OCCT and memtest, but if I tighten up my timings too much it will actually hurt desktop performance... this sounds strange but the best judge I've found so far for seeing how good my system is actually running is watching how the tray apps start up. If I have a good stable OC they all snap open instantly, if not they kind of ramble one after another. This is all with tested stable settings too.

My DDR2 platform isn't as picky with my 720BE as the DDR3 system is, but I find that the DDR3 system does seem to have just a hair more oomph when dialed in just right.

IMO there is actually quite a bit of gray area in OC'ing. I've had sky high OC's that test rock stable and post higher synthetic numbers, but perform worse than lower/looser OC's in real world gaming. I've found overclocking to be very application specific.
    Asus G73- i7-740QM, Mobility 5870, 6Gb DDR3-1333, OCZ Vertex II 90Gb

Xtreme Enthusiast
    That is some impressive DDR2 ram there Tony. Just curious though (for my own knowledge), with the ram at ~600Mh are you really gaining anything by having the NB at 2.7Ghz? I think I remember someone (you even?) mentioning that once you go much more than twice the effective speed (in this case DDR2-1200*2= 2.4Ghz NB) you don't gain much. Did I misunderstand that?

Xtreme Member
    Hi Tony

So for conclusion, DDR2 4-4-4-15 2T@1000 are slower by 50s compared with DDR3 7-7-7-24 1T@1600; 8s slower than DDR3 6-6-6-24 1T@1333; and 16s faster than DDR3 5-5-5-24 1T@1200.

I got it right?

Nice findings, thanks.

Be well...

the jedi master
    I am trying to stay in the zone 2600>2800 so the comparison is pretty valid.

Here is the DFI running 1000 4-4-4-15 with slightly higher CPU clock and its still slower than the MSI... 15secs is 15secs and I had a slight advantage on the CPU clock on the DFI.

Full day tweaking here on and off, each test takes 1hr and it HAS to run 10 loops Linpack before i even think of running AutoGK...i need stable.

Forgot to say..1.93V for 4-4-4-15 1000 stable
    Last edited by Tony; 05-03-2009 at 02:57 PM.
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Xtreme Member
    Sorry, but can't see the picture, yes, testing is a PITA, time consuming wise.

Edit: Seeing it now.

the jedi master
    A quick conclusion for DDR3 AM3 systems would be tight timings still matter, push as high with tight timings as you can and test this against slightly loser timings higher ram speed. I have no doubt that 6-6-6-24 1t is the sweet spot for timings on Am3 and 1500ish MHZ may be the zone where you need to be (if the ram will got that high) Reason being some of the boards are not doing 1700+ very easy...some even struggle at 1650mhz ram

For DDR2 boards...bragging you have 1200MHZ ram 5-5-5-15 means you are NOT a clever overclocker IMO...you do better tweaking NB clock and if you can staying with 4-4-4-15 timings around 900 to 1000MHZ.

DDr3 Vs DDr2...DDR3 does win, on the systems I tested anyway and i did NOT go to great lengths to dial in timings, just the primary and tRC were adjusted so end users can at least feel they have a chance of reproducing what i did.

AM3 DDR3 is the new king...Low voltage DDr3 is the way forward with 1.65Vish max...no need to ram volts anymore.
    Last edited by Tony; 05-03-2009 at 03:13 PM.
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Xtreme Member
    Yeah, my first step toward DDR3 system was to buy the 955 chip, but I'll gonna wait for RD890, if I don't sell any of the 4 DDR2 boards first.

I like the MSI board, but Bios is hard to mod, and SPI chip soldered to PCB doesn't help.

the jedi master
    core8 bios tools and an spi flasher works wonders

I can just as easy ask MSI for tweaks though, they listen now.
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    core8 bios tools and an spi flasher works wonders

I can just as easy ask MSI for tweaks though, they listen now.
    Dang Tony your the Bomb....nice work and yes MSI is on Top of the whole Oc ballgame again
    "AMD...Like the perfect Storm,...Everything needs to be just right"
    X555x4SuperCore@4450mhz@1.64v..........

RYZEN 7 1800x/ ASUS ROG STRIX VEGA64/ =EK NICKEL WB, Feser THC 2x360 1x480
    X470 Gigabyte Aorus7, Patriot 3400mhz 16gb dual2x8
    SSD Samsung 970pro,,860EVO

Xtreme Addict
    tony what sticks are you using? and why ganged on the ddr2 but unganged on ddr3?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by roofsniper View Post
    tony what sticks are you using? and why ganged on the ddr2 but unganged on ddr3?
    Was just about the ask the ganged question. I was under the impression that unganged was superior?

I really wish I wanted for DDR3
    Phenom II 940 BE / ASUS M4A79 / HD5770 Crossfire
    3770mhz CPU 2600mhz NB | DDR1040 5-5-5-15 | 900/1250

the jedi master
    unganged on the dfi seems to make less difference...I still have boards hooked up so i can revisit

Also setting 1T still shows 2T, bios may need more work
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast