Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Free Left 4 Dead Friday

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoasthandle View Post
    You can do that with any game offering patch/update or DLC. For example UT3 did something similar with their titan pack (at a much lower price). What sells a game more is it's popularity on just it's exposure.
    The game sold terrible, of course it had a lower price.

Word of mouth and popularity alone can sell the game. So a poor excuse IMO.
    Word of mouth + news + free DLC = great sales. Its not an excuse.

This made no sense. Based on what this game offers I don't find it something worth their asking price
    Then we disagree (if it wasn't obvious enough already). I have played it >100 hours and its still fun. Even Mass Effect didn't pack to many hours of fun.

I am Xtreme
    is the new Mexico City level out yet?
    "Thing is, I no longer consider you a member but, rather a parasite...one that should be expunged."

Xtreme Member
    Mexico City? No, there are only american style levels. Never even heard of such a level.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthBeavis View Post
    is the new Mexico City level out yet?
    lol, don't joke man, someone in my city has a confirmed case of swine fever, it's only a matter of time until there are deaths from this in the UK.

Back on topic I had to install L4D on a Review rig with a Samsung 22" 120Hz monitor and a pair of nVidia 3DVision specs today so I'll have to give it a through test tomorrow. Portal looks great so L4D should be amazing.
    Last edited by initialised; 04-30-2009 at 04:54 PM.
    Intel i7 920 C0 @ 3.67GHz
    ASUS 6T Deluxe
    Powercolor 7970 @ 1050/1475
    12GB GSkill Ripjaws
    Antec 850W TruePower Quattro
    50" Full HD PDP
    Red Cosmos 1000

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoasthandle View Post
    1. There is no valid proof that this technique is any better then those who provide demos before release. There are other factors you are forgetting here.

2. If they don't have to do anything they wouldn't need to try to convince more people to buy this game at a reduction from their initial price.

3. Although my opinion, their current asking price and release price is way to high.
    Jeebus. No need to get all defensive about it. There's really nothing to debate here, either, unless you want to take a tangent and debate if demos are superior sales vehicles to free play time. That was not the topic. I'm not interested in that topic, either.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by initialised View Post
    lol, don't joke man, someone in my city has a confirmed case of swine fever, it's only a matter of time until there are deaths from this in the UK.

Back on topic I had to install L4D on a Review rig with a Samsung 22" 120Hz monitor and a pair of nVidia 3DVision specs today so I'll have to give it a through test tomorrow. Portal looks great so L4D should be amazing.
    l4d rawks in 3d. This is my demo system for it . . . doing a mod with two build in monitors (same one you have) for Nvidia. I will be touring LAN events this Summer demoing 3d Stereo (QuakeCon, PDXLAN, PAX thus far).

Played the new mode last night where u have to survive as long as you can. Got my bronze on one level and silver on another.
    "Thing is, I no longer consider you a member but, rather a parasite...one that should be expunged."

Xtreme Mentor
    l4d rawks in 3d. This is my demo system for it . . . doing a mod with two build in monitors (same one you have) for Nvidia. I will be touring LAN events this Summer demoing 3d Stereo (QuakeCon, PDXLAN, PAX thus far).

Played the new mode last night where u have to survive as long as you can. Got my bronze on one level and silver on another.
    Off-topic question, but can that computer fly?
    RiG1: Ryzen 7 1700 @4.0GHz 1.39V, Asus X370 Prime, G.Skill RipJaws 2x8GB 3200MHz CL14 Samsung B-die, TuL Vega 56 Stock, Samsung SS805 100GB SLC SDD (OS Drive) + 512GB Evo 850 SSD (2nd OS Drive) + 3TB Seagate + 1TB Seagate, BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W

RiG2: HTPC AMD A10-7850K APU, 2x8GB Kingstone HyperX 2400C12, AsRock FM2A88M Extreme4+, 128GB SSD + 640GB Samsung 7200, LG Blu-ray Recorder, Thermaltake BACH, Hiper 4M880 880W PSU

SmartPhone Samsung Galaxy S7 EDGE
    XBONE paired with 55'' Samsung LED 3D TV

Love will tear us apart
    L4D also 40% off through Monday. Time to finally pick it up I think.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/2465/
    Dark Star IV
    i5 3570K | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | 8GB Samsung 30nm | GTX 670 FTW 4GB + XSPC Razer 680 | 128GB Samsung 830
    Apogee HD White | 140MM UT60/120MM UT45/120MM ST30 | XSPC D5 V2

Xtreme Mentor
    ya loads of nubs that can make it annoying. best are ofc the nubs that think they r good.

Best was when i was playing and used my pipebomb this guy called me a nub for not saving the pipebomb for the tanks -.-

There r rooms full with zombies. Its better to clean it out with 1 bomb then waste a crapload of bullets to kill em or worse get attacked by them + a horde or special.

Its a game best played with m8s and then hear them scream on TS ''they got me dutchy help me''

@initialised
    pls stop believing all the paranoia crap that the media is spreading about the swine flu and actualy go and read up on it.
    chance of it killing you are very small unles u have a very bad immune system and/or have absolutely no health care.
    Last edited by Starscream; 05-01-2009 at 08:27 AM.
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    Groucho Marx

i know my grammar sux so stop hitting me

SLC
    Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    Best was when i was playing and used my pipebomb this guy called me a nub for not saving the pipebomb for the tanks -.-
    He was right... commons in a non tank situation are not dangerous, while commons with a tank are quite deadly because they stop you from moving properly. Only use pipes when you are getting screwed, not when you see some zombies.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So many newbies playing today, haven't had a good game at all. :/

Xtreme Enthusiast
    @initialised
    pls stop believing all the paranoia crap that the media is spreading about the swine flu and actualy go and read up on it.
    chance of it killing you are very small unles u have a very bad immune system and/or have absolutely no health care.
    http://xkcd.com/574/

Xtreme Addict
    So I guess they're catering to the very young and/or unemployed? Why would you have a free trial on a Friday?

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by One_Hertz View Post
    He was right... commons in a non tank situation are not dangerous, while commons with a tank are quite deadly because they stop you from moving properly. Only use pipes when you are getting screwed, not when you see some zombies.
    actualy he wasnt.
    The room i used it in usualy has some 20+ zombies in it cause most of them are high up they can be a pita to hit with guns (taking them out before they come for u).
    Most of the time when we go threw it we also get hit by a horde. So combining a horde wich comes from 1 direction with the zombies wich jump down from the racks can be quite a pain.
    So unles pipebombs r rly rare its always a no brainer to use one in that room.

And further u got 4 team members So 4 slots for molotovs or pipebombs.

I think its better to use one of those when there is a proper need for them then to nvr use them at all and always see those molotovs and pipes laying around and not being able to pick em up.
    Ofc when playing highest difficulty when things like that are rare its ofc a entirely diffrent situation.
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    Groucho Marx

i know my grammar sux so stop hitting me

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by IronWarrior View Post
    So many newbies playing today, haven't had a good game at all. :/
    Yep, the last 3 survival games I played no one had even played the map yet.

Xtreme Addict
    ya loads of nubs that can make it annoying. best are ofc the nubs that think they r good.

There r rooms full with zombies. Its better to clean it out with 1 bomb then waste a crapload of bullets to kill em or worse get attacked by them + a horde or special.

Its a game best played with m8s and then hear them scream on TS ''they got me dutchy help me''

@initialised
    I'm not worried, it's just that the previous poster clearly didn't get the reference!

Noobs have their place in L4D, you've had a few matches, a few peaopl drop out so you go noob munching, it's a great way to learn new maps and you might find a decent random.

Survival is good for training noobs. So far I have two golds.

It does truely rock on a 3D screen, but having tried both currently available methods I prefer polarising glasses to shutter glasses, plus it is all format compatible (IZ3D driver for ATi should work on Zalman) and should be cheaper. The main difference is instant eye strain.

@Beavis, that puts my 3D test rig to shame!
    Last edited by initialised; 05-01-2009 at 01:38 PM.
    ASUS 6T Deluxe
    12GB GSkill Ripjaws
    50" Full HD PDP
    Red Cosmos 1000

c[_]
    Left 4 Dead is a zombie game without a chainsaw

And it needs more levels and the ability to have larger groups... imagine the mayhem with 128 people and an equivalent increase in number and/or toughness of the zombies? Also making the tank more "realistic" (headshot is a headshot..) would be nice while increasing toughness of other specials and normal zombies a tad would even things out quite a bit.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post

And it needs more levels and the ability to have larger groups... imagine the mayhem with 128 people and an equivalent increase in number and/or toughness of the zombies? Also making the tank more "realistic" (headshot is a headshot..) would be nice while increasing toughness of other specials and normal zombies a tad would even things out quite a bit.
    yeah its a bit repetitive and repetitive...
    more people and more levels would be nice
    Seti@Home Optimized Apps
    Heat
    Quote Originally Posted by aNoN_ View Post
    pretty low score, why not higher? kingpin gets 40k in 3dmark05 and 33k in 06 and 32k in vantage performance...

Xtreme Member

Nice idea, but that is not L4D. With 128 players its just multiplayer, L4D is about the co-op. You are describing a zombie mod for BF.

Xtreme Cruncher

How many seats did you have to pay for there?

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by Psykocyber View Post
    Nice idea, but that is not L4D. With 128 players its just multiplayer, L4D is about the co-op. You are describing a zombie mod for BF.
    Who's to say they couldnt make an extended survivor story mode?

Start some 4-player instances.. you run into people as you travel...

It would require larger levels for sure.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newblar View Post
    yeah its a bit repetitive and repetitive...
    more people and more levels would be nice
    I'm guessing you don't have a bunch of regular friends to play with. It's a load of fun if you're duking it out with your buddies. That said, i do have friends mad over l4d but personally could never see the hype.. or get hooked

Xtreme Member
    Who's to say they couldnt make an extended survivor story mode?

Start some 4-player instances.. you run into people as you travel...

It would require larger levels for sure.
    And a completely different game. What would stop 50 survivors grouping together? Or 50 infected all attacking the same group of 4 survivors? And how is a tank supposed to deal any damage against 50 survivors? Simply put, if such a game were created, it would be very very different from L4D.

Xtreme Addict
    i played l4d quite a few hours yesterday. it's fun, especially survival and versus modes.

but somehow i get a bluescreen whenever i quit l4d. after closing i see a steam popup which says "l4d 40% off", but immediately after it opened i get a bluescreen that says "page fault in nonpaged area". l4d itself runs like a charme, no crashes while being ingame, it's just when i exit to windows and this crap steam message appears...
    1. Asus P5Q-E / Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @~3612 MHz (8,5x425) / 2x2GB OCZ Platinum XTC (PC2-8000U, CL5) / EVGA GeForce GTX 570 / Crucial M4 128GB, WD Caviar Blue 640GB, WD Caviar SE16 320GB, WD Caviar SE 160GB / be quiet! Dark Power Pro P7 550W / Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA / LG L227WT / Teufel Concept E Magnum 5.1 // SysProfile

2. Asus A8N-SLI / AMD Athlon 64 4000+ @~2640 MHz (12x220) / 1024 MB Corsair CMX TwinX 3200C2, 2.5-3-3-6 1T / Club3D GeForce 7800GT @463/1120 MHz / Crucial M4 64GB, Hitachi Deskstar 40GB / be quiet! Blackline P5 470W

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by RaZz! View Post
    "page fault in nonpaged area"
    You have a RAM fault.
    ASUS 6T Deluxe
    12GB GSkill Ripjaws
    50" Full HD PDP
    Red Cosmos 1000

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast