Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Free Left 4 Dead Friday

Xtreme Addict
    A take from someone who owns l4d:

Game is fun if you play online, sucks if you play offline (last for what? 3 hours?).

The fact that the game has only 4 levels and 4 characters is really bad..
    Apart from getting really repetitive, it's it gets too internet-nerd friendly.
    If there were tons of levels, newbs and nerds could actually play together since the only difference between both would be accuracy.
    With 4 levels, every f***ing nerd expects you to know exactly where to go and stand in every part of each level. And that's so annoying!

To all l4d-nerds out there:
    - No, I don't want to know that I have to crouch in the toilet when you call the elevator.. Maybe you memorized it after playing this level 200 times, reading all the web-tutorials and the 5 official strategy guides you got from the internet, but I don't plan on doing it! I'm a casual l4d player, I also have a real life out there (master's degree to finish, girlfriend, music band, dancing lessons etc) so I'm fine with it.

That said, I wish we could get more characters and a lot more levels. I would even pay for it gladly, because the engine is very good and the "oh-my-gosh-so-many-zombies-we're-gonna-die" sensation is really well achieved..
    But playing the same levels again and again with guys who can play it with their eyes closed and mock me if I can't do the same? No thanks, I'll rather go back to my life.

SLC
    ^^^

I bet you get kicked a lot. Why not just jump off roofs? What sense does it possibly make to NOT listen to people who are a lot better than you?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by One_Hertz View Post
    ^^^

I bet you get kicked a lot. Why not just jump off roofs? What sense does it possibly make to NOT listen to people who are a lot better than you?
    You got things wrong.

1 - I never got kicked.
    2 - I don't mind experienced people telling me what to do. I mind when some angry nerds insult me for not knowing things beforehand.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WrigleyVillain View Post
    L4D also 40% off through Monday. Time to finally pick it up I think.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/2465/
    Thank you for the info! I was waiting for another price drop promotion to pull the trigger. Sweeeeet.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by initialised View Post
    You have a RAM fault.
    no, the ram is fine. it's just something wrong with this steam popup, but dunno what.
    1. Asus P5Q-E / Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @~3612 MHz (8,5x425) / 2x2GB OCZ Platinum XTC (PC2-8000U, CL5) / EVGA GeForce GTX 570 / Crucial M4 128GB, WD Caviar Blue 640GB, WD Caviar SE16 320GB, WD Caviar SE 160GB / be quiet! Dark Power Pro P7 550W / Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA / LG L227WT / Teufel Concept E Magnum 5.1 // SysProfile

2. Asus A8N-SLI / AMD Athlon 64 4000+ @~2640 MHz (12x220) / 1024 MB Corsair CMX TwinX 3200C2, 2.5-3-3-6 1T / Club3D GeForce 7800GT @463/1120 MHz / Crucial M4 64GB, Hitachi Deskstar 40GB / be quiet! Blackline P5 470W

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by Psykocyber View Post
    And a completely different game. What would stop 50 survivors grouping together? Or 50 infected all attacking the same group of 4 survivors? And how is a tank supposed to deal any damage against 50 survivors? Simply put, if such a game were created, it would be very very different from L4D.
    Simple balance routines: 4 survivors, ~4 specials max.

No, it would be an evolution of this chainsaw lacking zombie game with limited replayability.

Honestly i've put 20 to 30 times the play time into Zombie Survival for Garry's Mod (usually play on Noxious Net but GU has their server updated to 2.1+ now) that I have L4D.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    Simple balance routines: 4 survivors, ~4 specials max.

No, it would be an evolution of this chainsaw lacking zombie game with limited replayability.

Honestly i've put 20 to 30 times the play time into Zombie Survival for Garry's Mod (usually play on Noxious Net but GU has their server updated to 2.1+ now) that I have L4D.
    Melee weapons axes, chainsaws, swords, keyboards (a la Zombie Panic) would be nice but basic infected would have to be harder, I've played little but L4D since it launched and can't get enough of VS. It is quite simply the best multiplayer FPS I've played since I first played doom on the college PC network years ago, limited replayability my fat bile loaded booming a$$.
    Intel i7 920 C0 @ 3.67GHz
    ASUS 6T Deluxe
    Powercolor 7970 @ 1050/1475
    12GB GSkill Ripjaws
    Antec 850W TruePower Quattro
    50" Full HD PDP
    Red Cosmos 1000

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ToTTenTranz View Post
    A take from someone who owns l4d:

Game is fun if you play online, sucks if you play offline (last for what? 3 hours?).

The fact that the game has only 4 levels and 4 characters is really bad..
    Apart from getting really repetitive, it's it gets too internet-nerd friendly.
    If there were tons of levels, newbs and nerds could actually play together since the only difference between both would be accuracy.
    With 4 levels, every f***ing nerd expects you to know exactly where to go and stand in every part of each level. And that's so annoying!

To all l4d-nerds out there:
    - No, I don't want to know that I have to crouch in the toilet when you call the elevator.. Maybe you memorized it after playing this level 200 times, reading all the web-tutorials and the 5 official strategy guides you got from the internet, but I don't plan on doing it! I'm a casual l4d player, I also have a real life out there (master's degree to finish, girlfriend, music band, dancing lessons etc) so I'm fine with it.

That said, I wish we could get more characters and a lot more levels. I would even pay for it gladly, because the engine is very good and the "oh-my-gosh-so-many-zombies-we're-gonna-die" sensation is really well achieved..
    But playing the same levels again and again with guys who can play it with their eyes closed and mock me if I can't do the same? No thanks, I'll rather go back to my life.
    Yeah, knowing where to attack from does help, so deos being able to run a level backwards, noob! If you have a good team and follow their requests you'll have more fun and become a better player and through playing well and being a good team member, i.e. listening and coordinating attacks you will get better. I don't know how your experience has been but when we break in a noob they normally have a clue by the second or third level, cos if they don't we're all screwed.

Also there are plenty of maps on www.L4Dmaps.com but finding a server that hosts them is usually down to knowing the right people.
    Last edited by initialised; 05-02-2009 at 06:24 PM.
    Intel i7 920 C0 @ 3.67GHz
    ASUS 6T Deluxe
    Powercolor 7970 @ 1050/1475
    12GB GSkill Ripjaws
    Antec 850W TruePower Quattro
    50" Full HD PDP
    Red Cosmos 1000

Xtreme Addict
    L4D is too easy if you ask me. Even on expert.

I've been playing fps's forever though, so maybe I'm just too good.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sly Fox View Post
    L4D is too easy if you ask me. Even on expert.

I've been playing fps's forever though, so maybe I'm just too good.

Campaign is easy.....VS is where the games true fun is.

-yonton228/timmy
    "Man, I wish my country wasnt run by liberal mangina's that piss their pants at the sight of guns..."-turtletrax

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by yonton228 View Post
    Campaign is easy.....VS is where the games true fun is.

-yonton228/timmy
    Survival Versus would be even better.

Either way the replayability is getting thin.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Addict
    ha, valve's marketing strategy works out. a friend and me both played the free friday and got addicted to l4d. we bought the game today due to the special offer (40% off).
    1. Asus P5Q-E / Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @~3612 MHz (8,5x425) / 2x2GB OCZ Platinum XTC (PC2-8000U, CL5) / EVGA GeForce GTX 570 / Crucial M4 128GB, WD Caviar Blue 640GB, WD Caviar SE16 320GB, WD Caviar SE 160GB / be quiet! Dark Power Pro P7 550W / Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA / LG L227WT / Teufel Concept E Magnum 5.1 // SysProfile

2. Asus A8N-SLI / AMD Athlon 64 4000+ @~2640 MHz (12x220) / 1024 MB Corsair CMX TwinX 3200C2, 2.5-3-3-6 1T / Club3D GeForce 7800GT @463/1120 MHz / Crucial M4 64GB, Hitachi Deskstar 40GB / be quiet! Blackline P5 470W

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123