Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Free Left 4 Dead Friday

Xtreme Member

Free Left 4 Dead Friday

The slaughter starts Friday at 12:01 am GMT. Good opportunity to try before you buy.

Steamnews
    i7-3930K
    GA-x79-UD3
    Corsair H100
    4x2GB F3-12800CL6
    X-Fi Xtreme Music
    EVGA GTX 470
    Pioneer BDR-207DBK
    2X128GB Samsung 830's
    3XWD2002FYPS
    Corsair TX850
    Dell U2412M

Xtreme Addict
    well i won't be playing l4d friday....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks for posting Peakr, gonna definately play some for free since its holiday on Friday (time to clean the dust from XP partition)

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 570091D View Post
    My thoughts exactly. A game where your teams needs to be good doesn't work with nubs.

Xtreme Member
    Thats why I always play with friends.

-yonton228/timmy
    "Man, I wish my country wasnt run by liberal mangina's that piss their pants at the sight of guns..."-turtletrax

Quote Originally Posted by faster3200 View Post
    My thoughts exactly. A game where your teams needs to be good doesn't work with nubs.
    a game that requires dedicated servers that good companies wont host that and that are on already overstacked boxes is also bad
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Perhaps if it was free indefinitely, then I would give it another go. The previous demo gave me plenty of glaring reasons why this game should only be $20 at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Dainas View Post
    Perhaps if it was free indefinitely, then I would give it another go. The previous demo gave me plenty of glaring reasons why this game should only be $20 at best.
    i think that affter the weekend they will make it cheaperlike $20 or 25
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Member
    preloading now ^^
    thx
    Seti@Home Optimized Apps
    Heat
    Quote Originally Posted by aNoN_ View Post
    pretty low score, why not higher? kingpin gets 40k in 3dmark05 and 33k in 06 and 32k in vantage performance...

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Awesome! Gotta try this. Thanks for the heads up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    I have a feeling that in 5 years. WD, Seagate etc will be some unknown names.
    (Posted by Shintai, 08-18-2008)

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    a game that requires dedicated servers that good companies wont host that and that are on already overstacked boxes is also bad
    I gave up hosting a dedicated server, valve keep making patch upon patch to try and get the mess of matchmaking working. Tip for people who don't own their own server;
    Find a search key for your area.

SLC
    sv_search_max_ping 100 or something along those lines usually fixes server issues. Or just host is locally. I only have a 10mbitdown/2mbit up connection and most people get sub 100 ping when I host, which isn't bad at all for l4d.

Yeah I definitely will not be playing this friday.

Hey, don't lump us all together! I only host two dedicated servers in the middle of the US (Kansas City) on a DS3 on a dual, quad-core machine with 16GB of RAM that sits at about 4% CPU usage most of the time. Should be nice and smooth for the players.

On the other hand, nobody ever plays there hardly due to:
    1) Patch storm. I can't go three minutes without being out of date or rejecting clients who are out of date, and for some reason that's a manual process on the server end.
    2) Who knows. I just don't get many players.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well no one is forcing you to play. Do the same as the guy above

Xtreme Member
    Preloading now, but only 200 KB max, 150 avg. so slooow
    Phenom II x6 1055T | ASRock 880G Ex.3 | 560Ti FrozrII 1GB| Corsair Vengeance 1600 2x4GB | Win7 64 | M4 128GB

VR Box - i5 6600 | MSI Mortar | Gigabyte G1 GTX 1060 | Viper 16GB DDR4 2400 | 256 SSD | Oculus Rift CV1 + Touch

Xtreme Member
    I missed the last sale weekend. If this goes on sale again, I'm definitely picking this up. (clicking this up?)

I am Xtreme
    I take it they don't learn from their mistakes. Had they continued to allow use to play the demo they wouldn't need to have to do this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

They don't "have" to do anything. However, their sales don't lie. Half price weekends and free play weekends make their sales jump up multiple times over normal. In this case, they're probably doing it because of the new game mode they just released.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Addict
    IDK about that. I had a dedicated L4D server for the first month or so it was out and I never saw massive bandwidth usage. A versus server would use at most 1.5Mbps. Hardware requirements weren't bad either.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    They don't "have" to do anything. However, their sales don't lie. Half price weekends and free play weekends make their sales jump up multiple times over normal. In this case, they're probably doing it because of the new game mode they just released.
    1. There is no valid proof that this technique is any better then those who provide demos before release. There are other factors you are forgetting here.

2. If they don't have to do anything they wouldn't need to try to convince more people to buy this game at a reduction from their initial price.

3. Although my opinion, their current asking price and release price is way to high.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoasthandle View Post
    1. There is no valid proof that this technique is any better then those who provide demos before release. There are other factors you are forgetting here.

2. If they don't have to do anything they wouldn't need to try to convince more people to buy this game at a reduction from their initial price.

3. Although my opinion, their current asking price and release price is way to high.
    1. How about the very important factor of being in the news every two months either because of a free weekend or free DLC?

2. You always need more sales, see nr.1

3. How so? L4D is great fun even if its the same maps. You simply ignore it and focus on the play, not the environment.

Xtreme Addict
    Sometimes it doesn't work with four good players from different groups, but a pair of players that work well together can hold a decent team together.

I play within a few loose groups of players, it can be frustrating to play when no one you normally play with is available or you can't fill a vs match and only get useless randoms. But when you get decent randoms, add them to invite next time. I can see how this can be frustrating for the noobs too. Playing on campaigns and now survival before diving into VS play is a great way of avoiding getting kicked for being a noob.
    Intel i7 920 C0 @ 3.67GHz
    ASUS 6T Deluxe
    Powercolor 7970 @ 1050/1475
    12GB GSkill Ripjaws
    Antec 850W TruePower Quattro
    50" Full HD PDP
    Red Cosmos 1000

Xtreme
    well, if you pick up l4d as a single player game, and you play it online without friends, its going to suck, and its not worth the money

if you have friends that play it, its a blast and worth the money.

i will say, i'm not a huge fan of survivor, but i love versus, and death toll and dead air are fun to play.

like all games, there are a lot of tricks with this game you won't ever pick up on by playing it in a demo or 24 hour period.
    System:
    2600K / 8GB Corsair Vengeance PC15000
    Asus Sabertooth P67 / MSI Twin Frozr II 6950 Crossfire
    corsair 1000hx / Corsair 800D obsidian
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD / Windows 7 Pro
    Cooling:
    Koolance 360 rev 1.1 CPU block / MCR320 QP rad
    OCZ hydropulse 800 pump w/ EK-DCP 4.0 res
    Primochill LRT Black tubing 3/8" ID x 5/8" OD

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 570091D View Post
    uh I'll play more than I usually do; joining a random game, setting teammates on fire and leaving while they rage should be more fun than usual
    the state is universally evil, there is no good country only good people

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Psykocyber View Post
    1. How about the very important factor of being in the news every two months either because of a free weekend or free DLC?
    You can do that with any game offering patch/update or DLC. For example UT3 did something similar with their titan pack at a much lower price (which offers a demo). What sells a game more is it's popularity not just it's exposure.

2. You always need more sales, see nr.1
    Word of mouth and popularity alone can sell the game. So a poor excuse IMO.

3. How so? L4D is great fun even if its the same maps. You simply ignore it and focus on the play, not the environment.
    This made no sense. Based on what this game offers I don't find it something worth their asking price.
    Last edited by Eastcoasthandle; 04-30-2009 at 11:55 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast