Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Fan Testing Part 2 (Retesting + Noise)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanx a lot, Martin, great video of san ace.
    If it isn't so hard for you, can you send that video to my mail, please?
    An unfortunate person is one tries to fart but sh1ts instead...

My Water Cooling Case Build (closed)

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeCosmosS View Post
    know i have question how good are the s-flex g and the gt -15(1850rpm) at undervolting?

whats the wierd noise your talking about with the gt?
    I think they are both very good at undervolting, but the S-flex has more range low to high.

I wouldn't call it wierd, the GT just has a different sound. Maybe it's just less fan blade noise which makes the motor noise more pronounced..not sure. It just sounds a little different than most fans. I think the video sound represents the actual sound pretty well, so take a look at that. I don't have the Sflex G recorded yet, but the F model is up.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hu13caP View Post
    Thanx a lot, Martin, great video of san ace.
    If it isn't so hard for you, can you send that video to my mail, please?
    These videos come out of my JVC camera at about 220mb a piece! Even with 10MB cable, it take a LONG time to upload to youtube.

I don't think you want that 200+MB file sitting in your inbox..lol!

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Alright, I've got all 5 videos I created last night uploaded.

Taking requests on the next priority videos...thanks!
    Martin

VIDEO LINKS

Gtyphoon AP15 = Servo Nidec Gentle Typhoon DC1225C12B5AP-15
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLgJomTh74w

San Ace H1011 = Sanyo Denki San Ace 109R1212H1011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dCBSux7cvc

Sflex-F = Scythe S-Flex SFF21F
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ygYCWhwP7c

SlipStream SH = Scythe Slip Stream SY1225LS 12SH
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO4Tk2FzZBs

Zalman ZM-3 = Zalman ZF1225ASH
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7Yy3U2QYdo

Engineering The Xtreme
    So I've just used your comparison method martin (useing 2 videos @ = CFM)

the Gentle Typhoon @ 9v/20CFM is SO much quieter than anyof the other fans..... amazing.
    \

@ 30 cfm the sanace beats the GT though IMO

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    So I've just used your comparison method martin (useing 2 videos @ = CFM)

the Gentle Typhoon @ 9v/20CFM is SO much quieter than anyof the other fans..... amazing.
    \

@ 30 cfm the sanace beats the GT though IMO
    Yeah, 9V seems to be a nice tone, 10V is a little annoying, then it seems to smooth back out at 11-12V.

It seems to be a good method of comparison.

The videos are working really well for this, something I couldn't do when testing, but now you can match up the CFM and make a good comparison..I like it!

This also takes the burden off of me trying to make judgment. As long as I keep my video recording setup exactly the same, it should be a good way to let the users decide for themselves.
    Last edited by Martinm210; 05-03-2009 at 11:35 AM.

Banned
    thx martin when i heard the GT it was like motor spinning
    i found the scythe sflex f louder for some odd reason

i like the noise from the GT it sounds cool and the fact its sounds a bit quieter
    Last edited by ILikeCosmosS; 05-03-2009 at 11:44 AM.

Very nice ... good way to show the noise levels.

It's very interesting ... even though the noise may be lower, I found the GT a bit annoying above 9V ... Next time I listen to these, I'm going to do it "Blind" so I don't know which fan I'm listening to - just to remove any unintentional bias (e.g. - I own the S-Flex, and don't want to switch )

Xtreme Member
    Nice. Never thought I'd get a good impression of sound level from a youtube video, but the S-Flex video was very close to what I hear from mine. Not sure why I find that surprising, but I do.

Anyway, thanks for doing this. I love graphs and numbers, but this was an awesome idea, IMO.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    This is really good martin!

I'm glad you went with the 10 seconds at each volt from 4v to 12v. And also that you included CFM. It was a pita to check the graphs every time

I agree that the GT is VERY good up to 9v but then it almost gets beten by some other fans. The SA have a rattling noise to it. Don't like it at all...
    Maybe the 1450rpm version is just right (9v gives 1350rpm on the 1850rpm version)

now you just need to get your hands on some lower GT's like the 1450 version and 1150. I just orderd a S-flex F (1600rpm) and a GT (1150rpm) so ill probably have them in 2 days. And I'm going to check it out for myself. They don't have the 1850rpm version of the GT in sweden so i hade to go with the 1150.

Does anyone know were I can get the full range of GT's? I know ppcs have them, but ill think ill stay away from them. I know RRR had some real issues with them :\

Xtreme Addict
    which fan do you think sounds best martin?

Quote Originally Posted by Brodholm View Post
    This is really good martin!

Does anyone know were I can get the full range of GT's? I know ppcs have them, but ill think ill stay away from them. I know RRR had some real issues with them :\
    While some people report having problems, there are plenty of people who haven't had an issue. I've had excellent service from them during the past 3 years.

Xtreme Member
    His issue was that ppc's is not Mountainmods.
    Last edited by Freaky Freezer; 05-03-2009 at 04:12 PM.
    "Overclocking is a Nerds way of sticking it to The Man,
    I'm no Nerd,
    but I love sticking it to The Man"

Engineering The Xtreme

FYI you should never listen to what RRR says or pay attention to him - he has no business running a liquid cooling website as he is less experienced than 75% of the active members in this section. I dont even think he ever finished his first build..... LOL. that and he is an egotistical ass with a MAJOR e-peen enhancement problem/obsession.

He is an odd kind of guy who puts up ad banners of his favorite stores without permission or an advertising agreement from that store.

and to answer your question - newegg sells the full range of GT's

Xtreme Member
    FYI you should never listen to what RRR says or pay attention to him - he has no business running a liquid cooling website as he is less experienced than 75% of the active members in this section. I dont even think he ever finished his first build..... LOL. that and he is an egotistical ass with a MAJOR e-peen enhancement problem/obsession.

He is an odd kind of guy who puts up ad banners of his favorite stores without permission or an advertising agreement from that store.

and to answer your question - newegg sells the full range of GT's

But I must disagree on him not having permission or an agreement. No one is that big of a fanboy without somekind of incentive. At least that's what I would think.
    I'm no Nerd,

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Freaky Freezer View Post

But I must disagree on him not having permission or an agreement. No one is that big of a fanboy without somekind of incentive. At least that's what I would think.
    I can tell you for sure that he has no sort of agreement or sponsorship from sidewinder computers.... there was some recent "drama" over this and I asked gary for clarification about it and he said that RRtech is in no way shape or form sponsored by his shop.

Xtreme Member
    I can tell you for sure that he has no sort of agreement or sponsorship from sidewinder computers.... there was some recent "drama" over this and I asked gary for clarification about it and he said that RRtech is in no way shape or form sponsored by his shop.
    Oh I'm sorry. I didn't know about Sidewinders. I thought you were talking about Mountainmods.
    I'm no Nerd,

Admin
    C'mon guys, there's no need to talk about a banned member here....let's keep Martin's great thread clean

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogerlad View Post
    which fan do you think sounds best martin?
    Still trying to figure that out myself, but anything below 1000 RPM is pretty good..

If only they performed that slow.

It's a hard thing to judge with the higher performing fans, because you generally relate to their noise level by how much noise you get at 12V. Trying to put that apples to oranges misconception aside and compare per CFM produced takes a different way of thinking.

The GT obviously has my attention, but I also want to spend some time with the recordings after they are done and compare the bottom end of some of the stronger fans. The dB numbers seem to indicate some advantages to 38mm fans that I want to look at more closely.

Unfortunately it's going to take a little while to get the video recordings done since I can only get them done late in the evening when the stomping feet and noise makers are in bed. It's amazing just how hard it is to find quiet when you need that for something.

Anyhow...I'm not completely sure myself yet. I just figured I'd keep collecting the information and with the videos...hopefully that's enough that you guys can make some judgements as well.

Banned
    hey martin didnt you find the GT queiter at 12v then the s-flex?
    i personally like the cool sound from the GT

Xtreme Addict
    wow! GTs are expensive here in canada. 16 bucks a pop. I'll stick with my 7 dollar slip streams.

Xtreme Addict
    wow so according to the chart for cfm/dba the cheaper UK3 seems to do much better than my San Ace across the board. Just too bad they are sleeve bearing for the application I was going to use them for. I wonder what kind of temperature difference I would see at different CFM's to determine if I should be switching to the GT's, I can sleep 4' away from my 3 San Ace going full blast no problem, but still.

Core
    Core i7 920
    eVGA X58 LE SLi
    2x3GB Mushkin DDR3-1600
    BFG 8800GT OC
    Seagate 7200.12 1TB + Maxtor 320GB
    LianLi A05B

Cooling (all internal)
    2x BI GTS 360
    2x DDC3.2 + Ek top
    EK Supreme LT

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by silverphoenix View Post
    wow so according to the chart for cfm/dba the cheaper UK3 seems to do much better than my San Ace across the board. Just too bad they are sleeve bearing for the application I was going to use them for. I wonder what kind of temperature difference I would see at different CFM's to determine if I should be switching to the GT's, I can sleep 4' away from my 3 San Ace going full blast no problem, but still.
    yeah, I can sleep 2 feet from 3 sanace @ 70% and 3 YL-H @ 70% no problem.

issue is, when my girlfriend comes over and says "its to friggin loud! shut it off!"

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeCosmosS View Post
    hey martin didnt you find the GT queiter at 12v then the s-flex?
    i personally like the cool sound from the GT
    Yeah it's quieter, but it's also a different tone. I get more of a combination of wind with motor sound from the Sflex's, where the GT is almost absent of the wind/blade noise, so all you hear is the motor. I like it, but some people may not.

Quote Originally Posted by silverphoenix View Post
    It would be hard to say with those being so close. I'll try to get a video of the UK3 going soon so you can have that as well. I think the UK3 has a more pronounced motor tick than the San Aces, but it's hard to tell when the tests are far apart. Hopefully the recording will make it an easier comparison.

issue is, when my girlfriend comes over and says "its to friggin loud! shut it off!"
    There's something to be said for a nice constant hum for sleeping purposes. We put a box fan in our window most of the summer.

Xtreme Member

Exactly. We all get used to the sound of most fans, which seem quiet to use but they are only quiet in comparison to other louder fans we have all experienced. But no matter how quiet we think some fans are; if someone who has never heard them hears them they are like, "WHY DO YOU HAVE A HELICOPTER IN YOUR ROOM??"
    I'm no Nerd,

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast