Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fan Testing Part 2 (Retesting + Noise)

I am Xtreme
    Martin, I know exactly what your going through trying to record the fan noise. I had the same problem when I did my Kaze master conversion video. The recording level of the mic on my camera simply didn't go low enough to capture the S-Flex F I used when it was running ~630 RPM. I've decided that in the future, if I have a need for recording fans, I'm going to have a hyper sensitive mic attached to one of my minidisc recorders and sync the audio with the video in Windows movie maker.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    At 5 volt the GT is nearly silent and the s-flex is also almost silent. At 7-8 volts they start to sound a bit more. The GT has a more whiny noise and the Sflex a more comfy noise imo.

If you where able to record so we could see rpm and/or airflow that would be awesome! Because then you could set the video up parallel with another and then just go play pause play pause etc. And I would also like to be able to compare the fans to others at certan rpm/volts. But then you would need to stay at one setting for a number for some seconds.

So if you could stop at different volts and let it be there for like 5-10 seconds so you can compare the fan with other fans at different volts and cfm (if you can include that). Like 3v, 4v, 6v, 8v, 10v, 12v. Maybe even more (I would like to have 5-10 seconds at each volt if you had the time and felt like it). It really don't matter if the video is 1 min or 5mins.

And at some volts you get some background noise that can be misleading at that moment. Do I make any sense?

So, stay at specific volts for some time and try implementing as much data as possible (cfm,rpm,db)
    Last edited by Brodholm; 05-02-2009 at 05:23 PM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    will someone take the burden off of martin

**when i watched that sflex vid, i thought it was a horror video..hahahah
    LOL! Would you like some music? Oh wait that may get in the way...

I'll get er done, I've got some ideas on getting the video done without being in the noise stream. Either I'll setup the camera under the fan with the mic on it's edge, or I can record with the fans in push on the radiator instead of pull.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Fox View Post
    Martin,
    Can you please check for static pressure of the GT Vs. Kaze Master Vs. S-flex Vs. YL-D12S @ the same RPM ?
    I currently have 4 YL-D12SL On my Feser 480 and I am trying to conclude, what fan would be better, GT or Kaze Master (or stay with the YL).
    The Kaze Master is 38 mm, so I really doubt the GT will be better.

Anyway, those are the main competitors IMO, so I think it would be wiser to focus on them an not on 30 other fans that obviously are not in the same league.

BTW.
    It's great to have you back here !
    I wouldn't trust static pressure on it's own. The curves are fairly linear, but not enough to really know by static pressure alone which would produce more flow. I have the full PQ curve already run on the GT and S-Flexs in my round 1 thread, but it's my own setup, so you can really compare the numbers to anything else.

I'd stick with the Kaze Master unless you're just looking for a change.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You should make a RPM vs. Noise graph to. If that isn't to much trouble
    Last edited by Brodholm; 05-02-2009 at 05:23 PM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodholm View Post
    At 5 volt the GT is nearly silent and the s-flex is also almost silent. At 7-8 volts they start to sound a bit more. The GT has a more whiny noise and the Sflex a more comfy noise imo.

If you where able to record so we could see rpm and/or airflow that would be awesome! Because then you could set the video up parallel with another and then just go play pause play pause etc. And I would also like to be able to compare the fans to others at certan rpm/volts. But then you would need to stay at one setting for a number for some seconds.

So if you could stop at different volts and let it be there for like 5-10 seconds so you can compare the fan with other fans at different volts and cfm (if you can include that). Like 3v, 4v, 6v, 8v, 10v, 12v. Maybe even more (I would like to have 5-10 seconds at each volt if you had the time and felt like it). It really don't matter if the video is 1 min or 5mins.

And at some volts you get some background noise that can be misleading at that moment. Do I make any sense? And rpm would be really nice to implement in the picture. And if possible also cfm.
    Yeah, that was my first thought on the video, but after trying that I had to place the camera so far back to capture the guages, that the microphone lost all of it's sensitivity to capture audio from these low noise levels.

It's alot tricker than I thought, you almost need a camera that can use and external microphone and use a nice quality sensitive microphone to do it right.

I seem to have misplaced my wifes Canon S2IS, I think it actually has better audio than this JVC GZ-MC500U. It's a pretty cool little compact digital, but it doesn't have a microphone port.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    Martin, I know exactly what your going through trying to record the fan noise. I had the same problem when I did my Kaze master conversion video. The recording level of the mic on my camera simply didn't go low enough to capture the S-Flex F I used when it was running ~630 RPM. I've decided that in the future, if I have a need for recording fans, I'm going to have a hyper sensitive mic attached to one of my minidisc recorders and sync the audio with the video in Windows movie maker.
    I think that's exactly what needs to be done to do it right..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What about placing some foam in front of the mic? so it wont get direct airflow? I think that the audio still will be almost as loud as before but without the "blowing" noise.

And if you could stop at specific volts for awhile that would be awesome!

Is it possible to implement cfm,db and rpm in the picture? The most important ones are volt and cfm so you can compare them with other fans via video.

Engineering The Xtreme
    I used GT's in a recent air cooling build and I was more than impressed with them, they are seriously better than any YL I have ever used. I had 800rpm ones and 1850rpm ones and I had to look at the sticker to know which one was which sound wise....

Xtreme Addict
    You know what? I liked the videos. It was nice and simple and it gave you the wind noise too of the air moving which in some fans sound different. I think you did a real good job as we can see the volts and the actual fan and nobody can say anything otherwise about the fan noise of a specific fan. It's right there in your face all through the voltage spectrum of our PSU's.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Martin, can you do a video about san ace? Very intperested.
    An unfortunate person is one tries to fart but sh1ts instead...

My Water Cooling Case Build (closed)

Very useful and good work indeed

Any chance of trying a PAPST simply cos i trust their fan curves so could compare data.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodholm View Post
    What about placing some foam in front of the mic? so it wont get direct airflow? I think that the audio still will be almost as loud as before but without the "blowing" noise.

And if you could stop at specific volts for awhile that would be awesome!

Is it possible to implement cfm,db and rpm in the picture? The most important ones are volt and cfm so you can compare them with other fans via video.
    I did something similar that seems to be working. I'm also including the anemometer in the background, so you'll see both CFM and Volts when recording.
    Here is a retake on the Gentle Typhoon in the new format.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLgJomTh74w

Quote Originally Posted by Sadasius View Post
    You know what? I liked the videos. It was nice and simple and it gave you the wind noise too of the air moving which in some fans sound different. I think you did a real good job as we can see the volts and the actual fan and nobody can say anything otherwise about the fan noise of a specific fan. It's right there in your face all through the voltage spectrum of our PSU's.
    I'm keeping the same concept, just added a little wind deflector over the microphone to prevent that pronounced wind buffeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Hu13caP View Post
    Martin, can you do a video about san ace? Very intperested.
    Sure, here you go..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dCBSux7cvc

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo5195 View Post
    Very useful and good work indeed

Any chance of trying a PAPST simply cos i trust their fan curves so could compare data.
    Thanks,
    Where do you guys even buy the PAPST fans at?

Engineering The Xtreme
    DD used to cary them....

Xtreme Member
    Martin, those videos are simply awesome. Excellent layout, stunning work. If possible could you post a pic of the clunky switch / controller you are using just to finish the perspective ?

Thanks again for all your time.

(Is it normal to get excited watching fan videos ? )

Banned
    the san ace is bit load at full blast

this may be a stupid question but how much cfm does a rad need?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    DD used to cary them....
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ecat View Post
    Martin, those videos are simply awesome. Excellent layout, stunning work. If possible could you post a pic of the clunky switch / controller you are using just to finish the perspective ?

Thanks again for all your time.

(Is it normal to get excited watching fan videos ? )
    LOL! I thought I was the only one easily amused.

Thanks!

I've got four of the new format videos done. This time I'm uploading straight from my camera to keep the quality as high as possible. You can click the "HQ" button in youtube to get the higher quality version if you want.

Gtyphoon AP15 = Servo Nidec Gentle Typhoon DC1225C12B5AP-15
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLgJomTh74w

San Ace H1011 = Sanyo Denki San Ace 109R1212H1011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dCBSux7cvc

Sflex-F = Scythe S-Flex SFF21F
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ygYCWhwP7c

Zalman ZM-3 = Zalman ZF1225ASH
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7Yy3U2QYdo

Let me know which others you want done first. The only time I can record is in the evening, so I'll shoot to do a couple of them here and there as time permits.

The voltage controller is just Mastech variable PSU. It makes some pretty loud clicking noises when running through the volts, but it's a nice unit with coarse and fine adjustments 0-30V up to 5 amps.

Here is my uber high tech video studio in action, my bedroom walk-in closet is my sound room..lol!

Last edited by Martinm210; 05-03-2009 at 09:43 AM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeCosmosS View Post
    the san ace is bit load at full blast

this may be a stupid question but how much cfm does a rad need?
    Yes it is for my taste at 12V, but I know some guys that run 100+ CFM fans all the time, all personal preference. But... you should compare fans when they produce the same CFM, not the voltage...or the max voltage if you plan to use a fan controller.

Try this:
    Play the San Ace video until you're at 5V which is producing around 21cfm, now pause it. Start another window and play the SFlex-F until 11 Volts which is also producing around 21CFM. Now go back and forth between both videos and play that same CFM level and make a comparison that way.

It works really well and brings the difference while undervolting into perspective pretty well. What appears to be an obnoxiously loud San Ace at 12V doesn't seem so bad when you start comparing apples to apples which is CFM. What you get though is two different sound tones and characters. Per dB numbers the San Ace is actually producing less noise level per CFM, but to me it's more of a difference in tone. The San Ace is making a lower tone like sound with a bit more of a motor grit, while the Sflex F is producing a higher pitched sound with less motor grit. Which is better? That's probably going to depend on your own personal preferences.

There is no correct amount, the more air through the rad, the more performance the rad gives you or the closer your water will be to ambient temperature. You can never go below the temperature of the air entering the radiator though, so there are diminishing returns as you approach that magical radiator air in temperature.

You can use one of my rad calcs on skinnees site if you want numbers, but the important thing to know is that radiator performance is HIGHLY dependant on the fan used.

Someone using a very strong fan could very easily get better temps with a single 120 sized radiator than someone with a quad sized radiator that insists on using 800 RPM fans. I've measured some radiators having over 5X the performance difference depending on the fans.

Unfortunately I think everyone wants very low speed silence AND performance. In that case you simply need to increase the number of radiators to compensate for the poor fan performance. And there is no doubt, fan performance pretty well sucks when you get down and below 1000RPM level. In the end it's all a matter of compromise between performance and silence, but you can do alot to have both by increasing the number and size of the radiators.
    Last edited by Martinm210; 05-03-2009 at 10:10 AM.

Banned
    i going to do push pull martin
    the push will activated when the gpu's/cpu will reach a certain temperature
    i going to have paint my fans so this is where i run into the issue, i want to know the performance of the enermax magma and cluster fans as well but something tells me that red and white fans even if they are painted are not going to look good
    but if i were to get the GT then i would have to get them painted

i have such a small choice to choose from yate loon medium , scythe s-flex f or g, GT-1850 rpm

Xtreme Member
    I'm sorry I need clarification on something, I thought I remember Vapor or someone else's tests showing that GT's are horrible on radiators? Or was that the Slipstreams?
    "Overclocking is a Nerds way of sticking it to The Man,
    I'm no Nerd,
    but I love sticking it to The Man"

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Freaky Freezer View Post
    I'm sorry I need clarification on something, I thought I remember Vapor or someone else's tests showing that GT's are horrible on radiators? Or was that the Slipstreams?
    Martin is the first to formally test the GT's AFAIK.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeCosmosS View Post
    i going to do push pull martin
    the push will activated when the gpu's/cpu will reach a certain temperature
    i going to have paint my fans so this is where i run into the issue, i want to know the performance of the enermax magma and cluster fans as well but something tells me that red and white fans even if they are painted are not going to look good
    but if i were to get the GT then i would have to get them painted

i have such a small choice to choose from yate loon medium , scythe s-flex f or g, GT-1850 rpm
    I don't have the yate videos done yet, but I would suggest listening to the videos to make your decision. The GT has very low dB numbers, but it's a different sound some people may not like. The yates and the S-flexs have a similar design and sound. S-flexs are a little higher quality construction as are the GTs.

Quote Originally Posted by Freaky Freezer View Post
    He measured high dB on the slipstream, which I got a similar result. I got the slipstream video done last night also, I just need to upload it...then you can check it out for yourself.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    I don't have the yate videos done yet, but I would suggest listening to the videos to make your decision. The GT has very low dB numbers, but it's a different sound some people may not like. The yates and the S-flexs have a similar design and sound. S-flexs are a little higher quality construction as are the GTs.

He measured high dB on the slipstream, which I got a similar result. I got the slipstream video done last night also, I just need to upload it...then you can check it out for yourself.
    Thanks Martin
    "Overclocking is a Nerds way of sticking it to The Man,
    I'm no Nerd,
    but I love sticking it to The Man"

Banned
    know i have question how good are the s-flex g and the gt -15(1850rpm) at undervolting?

whats the wierd noise your talking about with the gt?
    Last edited by ILikeCosmosS; 05-03-2009 at 10:34 AM.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast