Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fan Testing Part 2 (Retesting + Noise)

I am Xtreme
    good stuff martin, i love the GTs too ...i wish it were quieter..lol

Quote Originally Posted by silverphoenix View Post
    If they could only make a higher speed gentle typhoon lol, I love it's CFM/dba but it just doesn't go high enough for me.
    thats why we have lots of rads double your rads if possible

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    good stuff martin, i love the GTs too ...i wish it were quieter..lol

thats why we have lots of rads double your rads if possible
    hehe If my machine was constantly stationary I would, but I don't mind the noise and I'm constantly lugging my tower around which is why my nxt project involves an A05 and 2 internal 360's

Core
    Core i7 920
    eVGA X58 LE SLi
    2x3GB Mushkin DDR3-1600
    BFG 8800GT OC
    Seagate 7200.12 1TB + Maxtor 320GB
    LianLi A05B

Cooling (all internal)
    2x BI GTS 360
    2x DDC3.2 + Ek top
    EK Supreme LT

Xtreme Member
    The supreme land of rules and regulations
    Quote Originally Posted by silverphoenix View Post
    If they could only make a higher speed gentle typhoon lol, I love it's CFM/dba but it just doesn't go high enough for me.
    According to this, they make up to 1,850RPM which is rated for 98m³/H at 28dBA: http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products...on-120-mm.html

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by century child View Post
    According to this, they make up to 1,850RPM which is rated for 98m³/H at 28dBA: http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products...on-120-mm.html
    ...and that translates to a whopping 57.7 CFM.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by century child View Post
    thats the fan martin is testing

there is a higher cfm gt at nidec's website..i forgot the output

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I want a really silent fan, I have been thinking about the S-flex E (1200rpm) I have had one and i know it is very silent. But then i saw this test with the Gentle Typhoon showing very good results. Would you recommend it over the s-flex?

And I know that fans sound more the older they get. Have you been using new fans or used fans?

http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products...on-120-mm.html
    http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products...-case-fan.html

There is also a difference in sounds. Not just db. Some noise is worse than others. I know vapor said that the sflex sounds nice. Probably because of the
    S-FDB (Fluid Dynamic Bearing by SONY Corporation) i think. I'm buying 10 s-flex E next week but now you got me unsure, DOHH! Maybe I should go with the GT...

Info from scythes site:

Gentle Typhoon 120 mm Fan
    (500 rpm - 800 rpm - 1,150 rpm - 1,450 rpm - 1,850 rpm)

Technical Data:
    500 rpm: 0.015 A - 5 dBA - 31 m³/h
    800 rpm: 0.023 A - 9 dBA - 48 m³/h
    1,150 rpm: 0.034 A - 16 dBA - 63 m³/h
    1,450 rpm: 0.049 A - 21 dBA - 85 m³/h
    1,850 rpm: 0.083 A - 28 dBA - 98 m³/h

Bearing Type: Double Ball Bearing

Accessory: 4-pin Molex Adapter, 4x Screws

MTBF:
    100,000 h / 35°C or 60,000 h / 60°C
    *1,850 rpm Model 55,000 h / 60°C

Model Number:

S-FLEX SFF21D (800 rpm)
    S-FLEX SFF21E (1,200 rpm)
    S-FLEX SFF21F (1,600 rpm)

Specifications:

800 rpm Version: 33.5 CFM = 58 m³/h | 8.7 dBA | DC 12 V | 0.10 A
    1,200 rpm Version: 49.0 CFM = 83 m³/h | 20.1 dBA | DC 12 V | 0.15 A
    1,600 rpm Version: 63.7 CFM = 109 m³/h | 28.0 dBA | DC 12 V | 0.20 A
    1,900 rpm Version: 75.0 CFM = 127 m³/h | 35.0 dBA | DC 12 V | 0.24 A

Connector: 3-pin (4-pin adaptor included)

Cable Length: 30 cm / 11.81 in

Bearing Type: S-FDB (Fluid Dynamic Bearing by SONY Corporation)

MTBF: 150 000 hours

You tested the 1850rpm variant right? Do you have a graph on specific rpm at volt? And have you tried push/pull in noise difference?

I wounder what happens if you make a blade swap with s-flex and GT

Edit: I also found this the other day

http://www.techpowerup.com/92728/Scy...ries_Fans.html

To bad they didn't release a 140mm model
    Last edited by Brodholm; 05-02-2009 at 06:02 AM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodholm View Post
    I want a really silent fan, I have been thinking about the S-flex E (1200rpm) I have had one and i know it is very silent. But then i saw this test with the Gentle Typhoon showing very good results. Would you recommend it over the s-flex?

And I know that fans sound more the older they get. Have you been using new fans or used fans?

http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products...on-120-mm.html
    http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products...-case-fan.html

There is also a difference in sounds. Not just db. Some noise is worse than others. I know vapor said that the sflex sounds nice. Probably because of the
    S-FDB (Fluid Dynamic Bearing by SONY Corporation) i think. I'm buying 10 s-flex E next week but now you got me unsure, DOHH! Maybe I should go with the GT...

Info from scythes site:

Gentle Typhoon 120 mm Fan
    (500 rpm - 800 rpm - 1,150 rpm - 1,450 rpm - 1,850 rpm)

Technical Data:
    500 rpm: 0.015 A - 5 dBA - 31 m³/h
    800 rpm: 0.023 A - 9 dBA - 48 m³/h
    1,150 rpm: 0.034 A - 16 dBA - 63 m³/h
    1,450 rpm: 0.049 A - 21 dBA - 85 m³/h
    1,850 rpm: 0.083 A - 28 dBA - 98 m³/h

Bearing Type: Double Ball Bearing

Accessory: 4-pin Molex Adapter, 4x Screws

MTBF:
    100,000 h / 35°C or 60,000 h / 60°C
    *1,850 rpm Model 55,000 h / 60°C

Model Number:

S-FLEX SFF21D (800 rpm)
    S-FLEX SFF21E (1,200 rpm)
    S-FLEX SFF21F (1,600 rpm)

Specifications:

800 rpm Version: 33.5 CFM = 58 m³/h | 8.7 dBA | DC 12 V | 0.10 A
    1,200 rpm Version: 49.0 CFM = 83 m³/h | 20.1 dBA | DC 12 V | 0.15 A
    1,600 rpm Version: 63.7 CFM = 109 m³/h | 28.0 dBA | DC 12 V | 0.20 A
    1,900 rpm Version: 75.0 CFM = 127 m³/h | 35.0 dBA | DC 12 V | 0.24 A

Connector: 3-pin (4-pin adaptor included)

Cable Length: 30 cm / 11.81 in

Bearing Type: S-FDB (Fluid Dynamic Bearing by SONY Corporation)

MTBF: 150 000 hours

You tested the 1850rpm variant right? Do you have a graph on specific rpm at volt? And have you tried push/pull in noise difference?

I wounder what happens if you make a blade swap with s-flex and GT

Edit: I also found this the other day

http://www.techpowerup.com/92728/Scy...ries_Fans.html

To bad they didn't release a 140mm model
    Most of the fans are new with the exception of the UK3, Yate Loon LED, and Yate loon SL-C. The UK3 I've used for radiator testing only, the yates, I've had in use off and on. All the others have had less than a couple of hours on them.

I agree on the noise. dB is a measurment of sound "Quantity" and that does not necessarily relate to "Quality", that's only something you can really judge by ear, and different for every one person.

I've updated the charts in the OP to include the RPM data. The GT I tested was the "AP-15" version which is the 1850RPM spec version, although mine only tested out up to 1740RPM on the radiator. RPM specs are only approximate numbers is what I'm finding, some are WAY off too.

Not sure you could swap blades or not, I believe the GT has a unique motor to handle the extra blades, so that may not work out in the end anyhow.

Anyhow, I've update the OP with some better charts.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    Most of the fans are new with the exception of the UK3, Yate Loon LED, and Yate loon SL-C. The UK3 I've used for radiator testing only, the yates, I've had in use off and on. All the others have had less than a couple of hours on them.

ok, then it shouldn't matter much. But fans that have been used for 6 months or so often sound much more.

I agree on the noise. dB is a measurment of sound "Quantity" and that does not necessarily relate to "Quality", that's only something you can really judge by ear, and different for every one person.

How did you think that the GT sounded compared to the S-flex E. Because if it sounds better I will be better of with the GT instead. And I have heard that people says it have a special sound.

I've updated the charts in the OP to include the RPM data. The GT I tested was the "AP-15" version which is the 1850RPM spec version, although mine only tested out up to 1740RPM on the radiator. RPM specs are only approximate numbers is what I'm finding, some are WAY off too.

This was very useful. I can see that the sflex E can drop down to 350rpm at 5 volts but the GT only goes down to 700rpm. but I can always get the 1150rpm variant of the GT. But at 350 rpm i doubt that the E moves much air through a radiator.

Not sure you could swap blades or not, I believe the GT has a unique motor to handle the extra blades, so that may not work out in the end anyhow.

It probably have a high number of poles. If you spin the blades by hand you should be able to feel the magnetic steps. They probably have very small magnetic steps compared to others.

Anyhow, I've update the OP with some better charts.
    Here is a "test" that a member (zgundam) from silentpcreview did:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums...b930a287030365

Update: Done some quick tests of the fans. I don't have any expensive airflow or sound-measuring equipment, so my opinions will be somewhat subjective.

Both 1450rpm and 1850rpm fans were tested at 12v and 7v (using this kind of fan adapter), with a Corsair HX620 supplying power only to one fan at a time and nothing else. Room was completely quiet (no car noise, etc). Tests were performed in open air with no obstructions within 30cm behind or in front of the fans, in vertical position. Two distances used to measure fan - about 10cm and approx 50cm from my ear to fan hub. I did a quick comparison between these fans and a 1200rpm SlipStream and a EbmPapst 4412 FGMLL.

The 1450rpm was surprisingly quiet (but not silent) at 12v. While at 7v it wasn't completely silent, giving a very low continuous hum, noise character it's probably comparable to the 1200rpm SlipStream at 7v. Airflow could probably be compared against a EbmPapst 4412 FGMLL @ 7v.

The 1850rpm Gentle Typhoon was noticeably louder than the 1450rpm version at both 12v and 7v, but not annoying. Airflow felt comparable to a 1200rpm SlipStream.

Both fans have very unique noise signatures (really don't know how to describe, sorry) which I haven't heard from other fans so far, but it's definitely very easy on the ears.

To summarise, the Scythe Gentle Typhoon seems to be a serious competitor for (at least) the 1200rpm Slip Stream. It's got a high MTBF, costs the same as a Slip Stream (at least in Japan anyways) and, from initial impressions, very quiet with good noise character. I just wish Scythe would start distributing these worldwide asap so I can get them cheaper!

Will see if I can get some audio samples done (assuming my mobiles' crappy mic is up to it), but I'd be happy to submit both samples to SPCR for proper testing (as long as I get them back in one piece. and working of course. Razz) if they're interested?
    And also, Do you know if it is possible to remove the blades from the motor? Or if it is something special. Because that gray color is ugly as imo and i would want to repaint them.
    Last edited by Brodholm; 05-02-2009 at 11:04 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The GT really wipes the floor in your test. It is good across a big range also 700rpm - 1800rpm. I wounder why no one had noticed this before? I'm sure i have seen a picture with someone using them on 2 rads stacked between each other.

Anyway, I did some more searching and found this. Its in French but google translate makes a pretty good job translating it.

http://www.rexware.fr/index.php?opti...=1013&Itemid=2 (in case my link from google.se don't work)

He only got the 1150 model down to 878rpm at 5 volts. And you got your 1850 down to 700rpm at 5 volts (behind a rad though). That would mean that there is no reason to get a lower rpm variant if they don't sound less at the same speed.
    Last edited by Brodholm; 05-02-2009 at 10:45 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Welcome back Martin!
    WAITING FOR SOMETHING...
    FULL LIQUID BY YBRIS
    Ybris A.C.S. FULL CHROME Limited Edition N°058 | Ybris A.C.S.-G FULL CHROME Limited Edition N°058 | SANSO PDH-054 12V A.F. | Feser Xchanger Q.R. 480 with Feser Xtender blue\Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000rpm | Tecnofront Bay Trap | Tygon R-3606 3\8" 1\2"

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Yeah, it's still a tough call even having both sitting here in my hands. The sound quality of the SFlex-E is very good and it gets way down in the RPM range if your after total silence.

Great links, at least I'm finding some consistency even though I measured on the fan edge mounted to a radiator and they measured open air inline with the motor axis.

I'd like to try some of the other RPM ranges just out of curiousity. I find it interesting how the different RPM ranges of the same fan lines produces very different results. My Sflex-E and Sflex-F preformed relatively the same regarding cfm/dB ratios, but the Sflex-G was different. I guess I always assumed it was the same fan with some very simple modifications, but after reading some of the fan development notes, it appears they design the motor specifically for different RPM ranges, etc...so they really are different fans despite looking the same.

Anyhow, I'm still trying to look through all this data myself and make sense of it, feel free to draw your own conclusions or if something seems out of place, I can always make another run to check.
    Thanks!
    Martin

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yeah, it's still a tough call even having both sitting here in my hands. The sound quality of the SFlex-E is very good and it gets way down in the RPM range if your after total silence.

Great links, at least I'm finding some consistency even though I measured on the fan edge mounted to a radiator and they measured open air inline with the motor axis.

I'd like to try some of the other RPM ranges just out of curiousity. I find it interesting how the different RPM ranges of the same fan lines produces very different results. My Sflex-E and Sflex-F preformed relatively the same regarding cfm/dB ratios, but the Sflex-G was different. I guess I always assumed it was the same fan with some very simple modifications, but after reading some of the fan development notes, it appears they design the motor specifically for different RPM ranges, etc...so they really are different fans despite looking the same.

Anyhow, I'm still trying to look through all this data myself and make sense of it, feel free to draw your own conclusions or if something seems out of place, I can always make another run to check.
    Thanks!
    Martin
    I really appreciate the tests you are doing here. Up until now I could have sworn that the S-flex was the best fan, no doubt. But now your test beg to differ.

The thing I'm looking for is silence and good performance. I rather sacrifice performance for noise than vice versa. But looking at your graps it seams that the GT beats the S-flex series. It have a wider rpm range and have better noise/airflow ratio.

The s-flex E moves the same amount of air at 9V as the GT does at 6V. At 9V the E does 920rpm (56db) while the GT does 880rpm at 6V (53db). Looking at these numbers again I notice that there only is small numbers separating them both. And with the S-flex you get 50 000 hours more lifetime. It really is a tough choice. And the S-FDB (Fluid Dynamic Bearing by SONY Corporation) is really nice that the S-flex have.

How much difference does 3db actually make? And do you have any idea when you will be able to get your hands on some GT in the lower range?

"The sound quality of the SFlex-E is very good and it gets way down in the RPM range if your after total silence." But at 350rpm with a radiator there must be no air coming through at all?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodholm View Post
    I wounder why no one had noticed this before? I'm sure i have seen a picture with someone using them on 2 rads stacked between each other.

Xtreme Enthusiast

Haha! There they are

Satisfied with you GT's?

Basically, what I'm trying to decide is S-flex < GT or vice versa.

So I'm asking you, Is the Gentle Typhoon the answer to life the universe and everything? Or is it still 42?

One more thing, have you tried to remove the blades from one of your GT's? Is it possible? A thousand questions as usual... Typical of me :P

I am Xtreme
    i have the scythe flex G, and the gt 1850s, the scythe flex g is has a higher pitched noise at 12v, the gt @ 12v is just right, but if you want quiet, the sflex f or e, or the gt 1600s might be better. but the less rpm the less noise.

the gt i would pressume have better motors

****only way to satisfy your curiousity is buy samples, thats what i did

Banned
    i have been looking at two fans s-flex g and the GT's i want to paint them red and white proppellers

but the s-flex f is much lower cfm then the G and the gt's have double ball bearing compared to the bearing of the s-flex g

What is the advantage and disadvantage to both of these fans?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i have the scythe flex G, and the gt 1850s, the scythe flex g is has a higher pitched noise at 12v, the gt @ 12v is just right, but if you want quiet, the sflex f or e, or the gt 1600s might be better. but the less rpm the less noise.

the gt i would pressume have better motors

****only way to satisfy your curiousity is buy samples, thats what i did
    Yeah, I'm doing that. But I'm only able to get the 1150rpm variant here in Sweden :\

And I'm having thoughts about the 1600rpm version of scythe's. Since they go like 580rpm and follows the E in noise/cfm.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Does this sort of video recording work alright?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFpSYLO7Cns

I am Xtreme
    the air is hitting the mic, there are many ways of measuring the sound, since mine is facing me, the fans don't make that noise on the intake...

my two cents.

Banned
    thats loud i wonder how close your putting the mic(not really though, more like breeze)

Xtreme X.I.P.
    the air is hitting the mic, there are many ways of measuring the sound, since mine is facing me, the fans don't make that noise on the intake...

my two cents.
    Dang, that's what I was thinking too. The wife left the house and my daughter took and extra long nap, so I had about two hours this afternoon to record in pure silence (Something that almost never happens). I got about 20 of the fans recorded like this, but all of them have that wind buffeting noise problem. My POS video camera doesn't name files in any logical order, so I was hoping I could work up some sort of setup where you could see the model number. Oh well, I tried.

Here is the same failed setup for the S Flex-F
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O63YQiBCoAw

And the Yate Loon D12SL12-LED-S
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip2AvaPu2AA

Who wants to do some good video recordings?

I've got a box full of fans, I'm ready to ship..
    Last edited by Martinm210; 05-02-2009 at 04:45 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think that you should try putting the camera so it doesn't blow air directly on the microphone. It would be better if you put some protection on the mic or so. You don't really need to hear that sound. Great quality though!

Banned
    i rather tired due to my exams so ill pass

hey martin have you ever considered testing the enermax magma's and clusters?

does the s-flex g have high pitched sound?

off topic but how much cfm should be passed through a rad ? (in pushpull?)
    Last edited by ILikeCosmosS; 05-02-2009 at 04:54 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Dang, that's what I was thinking too. The wife left the house and my daughter took and extra long nap, so I had about two hours this afternoon to record in pure silence (Something that almost never happens). I got about 20 of the fans recorded like this, but all of them have that wind buffeting noise problem. My POS video camera doesn't name files in any logical order, so I was hoping I could work up some sort of setup where you could see the model number. Oh well, I tried.

Here is the same failed setup for the S Flex-F
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O63YQiBCoAw

And the Yate Loon D12SL12-LED-S
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip2AvaPu2AA

Who wants to do some good video recordings?

I've got a box full of fans, I'm ready to ship..

will someone take the burden off of martin

**when i watched that sflex vid, i thought it was a horror video..hahahah

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Martin,
    Can you please check for static pressure of the GT Vs. Kaze Master Vs. S-flex Vs. YL-D12S @ the same RPM ?
    I currently have 4 YL-D12SL On my Feser 480 and I am trying to conclude, what fan would be better, GT or Kaze Master (or stay with the YL).
    The Kaze Master is 38 mm, so I really doubt the GT will be better.

Anyway, those are the main competitors IMO, so I think it would be wiser to focus on them an not on 30 other fans that obviously are not in the same league.

BTW.
    It's great to have you back here !
    Last edited by The-Fox; 05-02-2009 at 05:03 PM.

PC: Intel Core i7 920 D0 | Kingston Hyperx T1 6GB 2000Mhz 8-8-8 RAM | Foxconn Bloodrage GTI | Sapphire 4870X2 | Perc 5/i - WD 640AAKSx4 RAID0 | Asus 2014L1T | Dell 2407WFP | Lian Li G70 Silver Watercooled
    WaterCooling: Q² Project by The-Fox
    CPU Loop: Swiftech Apogee GTZ | Feser X-Changer 480 | Swiftech MCP655 Vario w/ DetroitAC top | EK Multioption RES 250 Rev.2 | Tygon R3603 1/2" | YL D12SL@1350RPM x4
    GPU Loop: EK-FC4870 X2 Nickel | Swiftech MCR320 | Swiftech MCP655 Vario w/DetroitAC top | EK Multioption RES 150 Rev.2 | Tygon R3603 1/2" | YL D12SL@1350RPM x3

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast