Thread: And I did it again...

Mr. Boardburner

And I did it again...

I came back from a LAN-party last night, so I popped my GPUs back in my system. Guess what... CPU-init error. My 4th Striker Extreme crapped out on me.

I decided that I didn't want to wait another 6 weeks for a 5th Striker Extreme that would eventually break down as well. I RMA'd the board and ended up getting a Striker II Formula as well. It clocks my Q66 way better and I can even get a harper going in it later on.

I'm tired now
    Main rig:
    CPU: I7 920C0 @ 3.6Ghz (180*20)
    Mobo: DFI UT X58 T3eH8
    RAM: 12GB OCZ DDR3-1600 Platinum
    GPU/LCD: GeForce GTX280 + GeForce 8600GTS (Quad LCDs)
    Intel X25-M G2 80GB, 12TB storage
    PSU/Case: Corsair AX850, Silverstone TJ07

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Martijn View Post
    I came back from a LAN-party last night, so I popped my GPUs back in my system. Guess what... CPU-init error. My 4th Striker Extreme crapped out on me.

I decided that I didn't want to wait another 6 weeks for a 5th Striker Extreme that would eventually break down as well. I RMA'd the board and ended up getting a Striker II Formula as well. It clocks my Q66 way better and I can even get a harper going in it later on.

I'm tired now
    The hell with the MB, How's your ankle doing?
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

version 2.0
    Could that be an Asus board ??

Mr. Boardburner
    The ankle is doing great

I can walk anywhere, I can walk the stairs again, even run a little. I can't feel anything at the moment, so I must be careful not to overdo anything. When I tried to sprint to the train last week I was reminded painfully that I hadn't fully recovered. I ended up missing the train and having a sore ankle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco View Post
    Could that be an Asus board ??
    It could be...
    Main rig:

Back from the Dead
    No, this time, it's not Assus' fault. It's nvidias. Seriously I have had almost 100% RMA quota for those cursed 680i based mobos... Asus, EVGA, they all died eventually. Only one still alive is a DFI 680 LT, but even that one's been back here for a checkup cause the bios went AWOL.
    680i sucks and must die!
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Martijn View Post
    The ankle is doing great

I can walk anywhere, I can walk the stairs again, even run a little. I can't feel anything at the moment, so I must be careful not to overdo anything. When I tried to sprint to the train last week I was reminded painfully that I hadn't fully recovered. I ended up missing the train and having a sore ankle.

It could be...
    Listen my friend, you run on that thing and pop it again and you'll think the first time was a piece of cake.
    Let it heal, go slow, walk don't run ok?
    I know, the old fart is blabbing but what you did doesn't heal quickly.
    This is a time to ask yourself do you want to be walking properly when your 30 or walking with a cane?
    Be smart and go slow.
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Board killer strikes again
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

version 2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by jcool View Post
    No, this time, it's not Assus' fault. It's nvidias. Seriously I have had almost 100% RMA quota for those cursed 680i based mobos... Asus, EVGA, they all died eventually. Only one still alive is a DFI 680 LT, but even that one's been back here for a checkup cause the bios went AWOL.
    680i sucks and must die!
    Hey, I take every opportunity to bash Asus
    They aren't fair to me , why should I be fair to them?

u need asus repair kit

version 2.0
    Where can I order this repair kit
    Or will any sledgehammer be ok?

Xtreme Cruncher
    That's 680i chipsets for you, unfortunately. There really is something flawed with them, as they always seem to die after a while. Doesn't matter who makes 'em, they all end up chucking the s.

And stop bashing Asus boards I've got two (P5E and P5K Deluxe), and aside from a fair bit of vDrop and vDroop, they've been pretty solid boards.

Eller

Desktop: Q6600 G0 @ 3.6 Ghz | P5E | 2x2 Gb G.Skill PC8000 | GTX 560 Ti | CM690 | TT TP 750 watt | Win 7 Pro x64 | Water Cooling
    Server: i3 530 (Stock) | CM Vortex Low-Profile | Zotac H55-ITX WIFI | 2x2Gb Corsair 1333Mhz | IGP | VX450 | Server 2008 R2 x64

XS WCG Hamster Herder
    I'm running a total of five EVGA 680i boards on the farm. They have been crunching 24/7 for nearly two years now. They've been fine for me. <knocking on wood> One of them was my main rig for about a year and a half. I don't run them particularly hard, other than max stable clock for crunching.

Bob

P.S. Glad to hear you're doing better Martijn!
    Last edited by 123bob; 04-29-2009 at 02:36 PM.
    If You ain't Crunching, you ain't Xtreme enough. Go Here
    Help cure CANCER, MS, AIDS, and other diseases.
    ....and don't let your GPU sit there bored...Crunch or Fold on it!!
    Go Here, Or Here

Back from the Dead
    Congratz, you may own the last surviving evga 680i boards on the planet. I personally buried (= RMAed..) 7 evgas.. after first ripping apart the whole WC system and then rebuilding it with yet another 680i, knowing full well I'd have to do the same again in 6-12 months time
    You run quads or Duals? With Duals they seem to last, with Quads they dont.
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

_
    *Note to self: Don't buy ASUS mobo's.*

Sorry to hear about your rig.
    So you don't miss the train again you could set your clocks a few minutes early so you would be to the train earlier.

My most favorite board ever was an Asus, A8R32-MVP deluxe. Awesome board back in the 939 days.
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

XS WCG Hamster Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by jcool View Post
    Congratz, you may own the last surviving evga 680i boards on the planet. I personally buried (= RMAed..) 7 evgas.. after first ripping apart the whole WC system and then rebuilding it with yet another 680i, knowing full well I'd have to do the same again in 6-12 months time
    You run quads or Duals? With Duals they seem to last, with Quads they dont.
    Yup, all Kentsfield quads. Some B3s even. Mine are all A1 revision with two of them being the "light" version. Don't know why they are lasting so well. I'll crunch them till they die.
    Go Here, Or Here

XSDCMF
    "Friends don't let friends buy Asus boards!"
    Crunching to Crush Cancer
    Somebody, Stop Me!

Xtreme Cruncher
    I had been watching that mobo as it was said to perform so good but dismissed once I saw its price :S. Now your post relieves me of not being able to have it :P .
    Also I wanted to tell you you are a f lucky Dutch as Ive been recovering my knee since 13 january and I only can walk like a lame ( guess I should spend less time browsing XS and finally go to physical therapy :S). Look at the hematomas I had on 10th of march:

"Study hard my young friend"[/B].
    ---------------------------------------
    Woody: It's not a laser! It's a... [sighs in frustration]

XS WCG Hamster Herder
    I don't know, still looks dislocated and/or broken to me.....Any doctors in the house? Can you rotate it with the degree of motion you have with the other foot?

Regards,
    Bob
    Go Here, Or Here

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by 123bob View Post
    I don't know, still looks dislocated and/or broken to me.....Any doctors in the house? Can you rotate it with the degree of motion you have with the other foot?

Regards,
    Bob
    hey bob! In case you are talking about my foot: it has edema due to a bad venous return ( blood gets "lazy" and will accumulate there). There are many factors that cause this but one of the most important is a component called histamin. To evaluate if a guy ( it might help you to help) if a guy has a of blood returning to the heart and stayting in the affected tissue you should shoftly press with your index finger and hold on a lil time and afterwards remove your finger. You should see a whole in the skin which should last more time ( 4 mins aprox to recover at the way it looked like before being pressed).
    Its Godet sign.

will post of my own godet if I find it.. sorry for threadjacking martijn

Mr. Boardburner
    Quote Originally Posted by Duh View Post
    hey bob! In case you are talking about my foot: it has edema due to a bad venous return ( blood gets "lazy" and will accumulate there). There are many factors that cause this but one of the most important is a component called histamin. To evaluate if a guy ( it might help you to help) if a guy has a of blood returning to the heart and stayting in the affected tissue you should shoftly press with your index finger and hold on a lil time and afterwards remove your finger. You should see a whole in the skin which should last more time ( 4 mins aprox to recover at the way it looked like before being pressed).
    Its Godet sign.

will post of my own godet if I find it.. sorry for threadjacking martijn
    This is WCG. We do nothing else here

I love this new motherboard... CPU seems to be stable at 3.6 now, I'll try 3.8 shortly. I already managed to post at 4Ghz, don't know about anything else yet. WCG is up and running again
    Main rig:

Xtreme Cruncher
    what are you cooling it with? yesterday my rig seemed just as if it would lift ( HS fan run like my 92mm Vantec tornado). I realized that in the bios I didnt allow it to do the smart control function

Xtreme Cruncher
    Man I loved my 680i LT as well wasn't a super great clocker but it produced 425 fsb so it wasn't too bad with the Q6600. It was like that for about 6 months before I sold it with a Q6600 B3; and before that it was working with a a E6400 at 3.12gh yes it clocked a lot higher with the dual core but wanted more points.
    Last edited by Mr_Slinky; 04-30-2009 at 10:53 AM.