Thread: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 910 PSU “80 Plus Silver” certified

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 910 PSU “80 Plus Silver” certified

+12v @ 74A, should run GTX 295 Quad-SLI

Today, OCZ subsidiary group PC Power & Cooling just announced a new top model PSU for its ‘Silencer’ series, expanding its product line to support even more rigorous enthusiast setups and provide more solid continuous power to valuable components.

As its name suggests, the Silencer 910 is capable of providing 910w of continuous power and up to 1000w on peak load. It features an “80 Plus Silver” high efficiency rating of 88 percent on typical load, up from the 83 percent, “80 Plus” standard in the popular Silencer Quad units.

This power supply unit is SLI certified for multiple Nvidia GPUs, although the company did not specify any particular configurations. Yet due to the powerful single +12v rail capable of supporting 74A of continuous power, we are confident that this PSU would be able to support GTX 295s in Quad-SLI. After all, we experienced no problems running this GPU setup on the Silencer Quad 750w model at stock frequencies.

"PC Power & Cooling has a rich history when it comes to highly efficient, maximum-performance power supplies," stated Ryan Edwards, Director of Product Management for OCZ Technology. "With the release of the newest member of our legendary Silencer series, we continue a long-standing commitment of building quality PSUs that began nearly a quarter century ago."

The PC Power & Cooling Silencer 910 is backed by a five year warranty and is now available directly from the manufacturer for $230. However, PriceGuideNetwork carries it for a cool $178. More retailers are expecting to have stock very soon.

Finally, my favorite PSU manufacturer has come out with something new. Now, where is that ESA enabled version?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xphobe View Post

Finally, my favorite PSU rebrander/seller has come out with something new.

There, fixed that for you.

On another note, just wonder which Seasonic model it's based on.....the Seasonic M12D?

Quote Originally Posted by Humminn55 View Post
    There, fixed that for you.

On another note, just wonder which Seasonic model it's based on.....the Seasonic M12D?

aren't you thinking of OCZ power supplies? Seasonic does look quite a bit different then PCP&C do.

Seasonic 850w

PCP&C 860w

PCP&C 750w
    Last edited by Xphobe; 04-28-2009 at 06:54 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    It's not modular. That's a mistake for 80% of the market these days. There are other solutions (like the HX1000) that are in this price range, equally quiet, equally performing, and modular.

I'm sure the testers will dive on this model so we'll see if has something truly exceptional or not going for it.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
    It's not modular. That's a mistake for 80% of the market these days. There are other solutions (like the HX1000) that are in this price range, equally quiet, equally performing, and modular.

I'm sure the testers will dive on this model so we'll see if has something truly exceptional or not going for it.
    PC P&C will never go modular or they'll be forced to eat their hat
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz+ 8GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 6 Asus P8P67 Pro CrossFire 6970's @ 950/1450
    Xeon X5677 @ 4.5Ghz 6GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 7 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 4870x2
    i7-880 @ 4.2Ghz+ (still playing) 4GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @2300Mhz CAS 9 Asus Maximus III Formula MSI Hawk 5770

Xtreme Enthusiast
    aren't you thinking of OCZ power supplies? Seasonic does look quite a bit different then PCP&C do.

No, since the entire Silencer line from PCP&C is made by Seasonic.

The major differences between the Seasonic you posted and the PCP&C's you posted are from having to make changes for the 80mm side draft cooling fan vs. the overhead 120mm cooling fan, which made necessary a complete revamp of the heatsinks. Once you get the heatsinks out of the way and get down to bare PCB's, Seasonics and PCP&C Silencers are remarkably similar underneath.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Humminn55 View Post
    No, since the entire Silencer line from PCP&C is made by Seasonic.

The major differences between the Seasonic you posted and the PCP&C's you posted are from having to make changes for the 80mm side draft cooling fan vs. the overhead 120mm cooling fan, which made necessary a complete revamp of the heatsinks. Once you get the heatsinks out of the way and get down to bare PCB's, Seasonics and PCP&C Silencers are remarkably similar underneath.
    Remarkably similar or the same psu with a fan alteration? There is a definite difference. If you are right though, I now understand why there have been issues with the Silencer line. I have found postings in various forums of RMA issues but almost entirely with the Silencer series.

Let's assume for a second that you are correct...what other models are rebadged? Any of the other ones? When did this start?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by nebuchanezzar View Post
    Let's assume for a second that you are correct...what other models are rebadged? Any of the other ones? When did this start?
    He is correct.

Win-Tact makes the Turbo-Cool 860. Among Others.

I dont know if they ever made an PSU themselves.

PSU Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonucci View Post
    I dont know if they ever made an PSU themselves.
    Nope. They used Sparkle as an OEM once upon a time too, before FSP bought them out. They've probably used Win-Tact the longest... even some of the old Silencers were W-T.
    Jetway HA07-Ultra, Phenom 9600, 4GB G.Skill 1066, Antec CP-1000, 3R Ice Age, Ultra Aluminus, HD2600XT, WD Black 640GB, Seagate 500GB 7200.11, Maxtor 200GB Diamondmax 10, Lite-On 48125W, Pioneer DVR-115D, Plextor PX-716SA

Banned
    seasonic m12D is great i am never a fan for this company's psu's because always a 80mm fan not something new from them

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeCosmosS View Post
    seasonic m12D is great i am never a fan for this company's psu's because always a 80mm fan not something new from them
    But but but...

80cm fan schemme coolz bettah, modular cablez = BAD, single rail = GOOD !1!!!1

im liking these rising efficiency ratings.
    i7 3610QM 1.2-3.2GHz

I can understand how all of you believe that the PCP&C Silencers are just rebranded Seasonic X900's. But, their is a distinctive difference, as PCP&C has them made with their own (better) specifications. Basically, all depending on your own point of view, PCP&C does make their own PSU's, they just do not own the tools or workers. (at least that is what I keep telling myself )

Banned
    does it hardly effect the point of a power supply as long as your not stupid you are fine with multi railed psu's

My Silencers have been a dream, smooth as silk, and I would never buy anything else.

Xtreme Addict
    (at least that is what I keep telling myself )

Sorry, but you are an victim of their marketing

They may order customized PSU's that someone else makes, but so do Corsair, OCZ, Antec and many others....

You can choose better caps, fans, etc than the competition.....just like Corsair did over Antec when comparing their Seasonic platform PSU's.

Nothing PCP&C does is unique and/or inovative, nor it surpasses the competition in terms of parts quality.

Brand name + marketing = $$$$$, as we can see.

Yeah, as far as I'm concerned, PCP&C are kinda coasting along on their reputation these days. They're good PSUs, but so are a lot of other brands these days. I don't like their fud concerning 120mm fans and modular cables, that has already been proven to be no drawback at all for several years. They should eat their pride and just admit it already.

Xtreme Member

Cool

I remember when modular PSUs started hitting the market. The PC P&C CEO said that modular cables were bad bad BAD and we would start seeing those PSUs failing in a few years time.

...I believe that was at least 5 or 6 years ago now.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Early Modular PSUs were actually pretty terrible. The connectors on them were terribly low quality, and caused a lot of problems. The idea of modular cables is not the problem, just the first PSUs that came out with them.

PSU Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Z3VH View Post
    Early Modular PSUs were actually pretty terrible. The connectors on them were terribly low quality, and caused a lot of problems. The idea of modular cables is not the problem, just the first PSUs that came out with them.
    Not really. The first modulars were Ultra's X-Connect units, which suffered from variable quality control thanks to a not so good OEM. Blaming the connectors for the issues on those units is like blaming the tires for a Yugo breaking down.
    Jetway HA07-Ultra, Phenom 9600, 4GB G.Skill 1066, Antec CP-1000, 3R Ice Age, Ultra Aluminus, HD2600XT, WD Black 640GB, Seagate 500GB 7200.11, Maxtor 200GB Diamondmax 10, Lite-On 48125W, Pioneer DVR-115D, Plextor PX-716SA

Banned
    enermax psu's are good even the tomahawk is they use the universal modular connection method thats why i perfer them over pc power and cooling

btw is the silcener or any psu by this company made by channel well oem?

PSU Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeCosmosS View Post
    btw is the silcener or any psu by this company made by channel well oem?
    Nope. Silencer = Seasonic, Turbocool = Win-Tact.

Hi there , I already replaced the noisy ADDA 80mm ball bearing fan with a GELID 80mm sleeve bearing fan ( lubricated by myself with a creamy Zirconium grease ) , now this Silencer 910W is finally total silent ,of course I swap upside down the direction of the airflow inside the PSU to allow only fresh air to enter into the PSU , the case is also a Silverstone RAVEN RV02 modded upside down , to allow vertical airflow please see the pictures

I have found another intresting advantage of the PC Power & Cooling 80mm layout , the 80mm fan allow partial airflow below ( and also above ) the PCB inside the PSU , the 120mm layout fan cannot send airflow below the PCB of the PSU

Last edited by tonschk; 09-27-2009 at 06:39 AM.

Update , I just have another possible fan to swap the stock ADDA ball bearing fan , this AKASA PWM 90mm black fan also run very silent