Thread: Dual 120mm rad enough?

Dual 120mm rad enough?

Current specs are in my sig, temps on the e85 are great, was considering upgrading to a 285 or a 4890 soon, probably with a gpu only block, but maybe a full cover. Just had a few questions for all the experts out there.

1) Will my current setup be adequate if i add a 4890 or 285 with a gpu only block? How about a full cover? I don't really have room (or the budget) required to add a second rad/loop atm.

2) Between the two cards, what are your reccomendations and why? Same with the blocks.

3) How will a fullcover block affect my temps OC compared to a GPU only and a unisink? Does swifty (or anyone?) make a unisink for the 4890?

Thanks in advance. Cheers
    Specs
    i5 750 2.66GHz @ 4.00 GHz 1.36v
    2x4GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz @ 8-8-8-24
    MSI Twin Frozr III 7950 880MHz/1250MHz
    Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3
    Intel X25-M G2 80GB
    WD Caviar Black 640GB
    WD Caviar Green 1.5TB
    CoolerMaster 600W PSU
    Logitech Z-5300e
    Philips Brilliance 24" h-ips
    Razer Deathadder
    WaterCooling
    Apogee GTZ --> Heatkiller GPU-X³ 79X0 --> MicroRes V2 --> MCP655 --> MCR220-QP
    NZXT Tempest <-- Airflow King, says so on the box

Xtreme Member
    martin has always said, "more radiators the more silet and better heat dissipation".........not exactly that, but he did say more radiators better I think it was in the monsta thread somwhere......

Xtreme Member
    Your current setup is adequate, definitely, but not optimal. Just adding one more 120 radiator on the same loop should take your system from adequate to very good.
    "Overclocking is a Nerds way of sticking it to The Man,
    I'm no Nerd,
    but I love sticking it to The Man"

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Depends on the fans used, what the heat load is for each component, and what performance level you're after. Fans can make up to a 5X performance difference so without including what fans you plan to use is alot like saying is 1-5 double radiators enough performance.

You can use this RS series radiator calculator to help you understand what happens as you change the fan RPM, the heat loads, and even what happens if you add a second or third radiator.

http://martin.skinneelabs.com/img/Ma...-Series-03.zip

A 10C water/air delta would be average performance and a 5C would be high performance.

I would say NO, a double radiator by itself would NOT be enough, you need some fans on there...

The fans you use, and the number of them, and the way you set up the fans (5V, 7V, 9V, 12V) will have more impact on performance than whether you use a dual or triple rad.

On my dual rad currently I have 2x 140mm fans above it in the case, with the space around the rad taped off so all the air goes through, and on the bottom of the rad i have mounted two antec tricools on high speed, my current cpu temps on full load of prime 95 are 52*C. I'm wondering what my temps would be like if I added a card to this loop.
    Specs
    i5 750 2.66GHz @ 4.00 GHz 1.36v
    2x4GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz @ 8-8-8-24
    MSI Twin Frozr III 7950 880MHz/1250MHz
    Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3
    Intel X25-M G2 80GB
    WD Caviar Black 640GB
    WD Caviar Green 1.5TB
    CoolerMaster 600W PSU
    Logitech Z-5300e
    Philips Brilliance 24" h-ips
    Razer Deathadder
    WaterCooling
    Apogee GTZ --> Heatkiller GPU-X³ 79X0 --> MicroRes V2 --> MCP655 --> MCR220-QP
    NZXT Tempest <-- Airflow King, says so on the box

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    A 10C water/air delta would be average performance and a 5C would be high performance.
    Martin, when you say air, is that the air going into the case? Which would be room temperature. Or do you mean the air that blows over the radiators? Which could also be the temperature of the air inside the case.
    I'm no Nerd,

Xtreme Addict
    It's the temp difference of your ambient air to the temperature of your water. Basically take the temp of your room and subtract the temp of your water will give you your delta. Taking the ambient of your case if your using that air through the rad may be a good calculation to do. Basically wherever your taking the air from is your air temp.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Freaky Freezer View Post
    Martin, when you say air, is that the air going into the case? Which would be room temperature. Or do you mean the air that blows over the radiators? Which could also be the temperature of the air inside the case.
    Ultimately, it's the temperature of the air that's actually entering the radiator. If the air first heats up from entering the case, that will directly affect your water temperature.
    i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | GTX Titan | Corsair DDR3-2133

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadasius View Post
    It's the temp difference of your ambient air to the temperature of your water. Basically take the temp of your room and subtract the temp of your water will give you your delta. Taking the ambient of your case if your using that air through the rad may be a good calculation to do. Basically wherever your taking the air from is your air temp.
    Quote Originally Posted by MpG View Post
    Ultimately, it's the temperature of the air that's actually entering the radiator. If the air first heats up from entering the case, that will directly affect your water temperature.
    Ok that's what I thought but wanted to make sure. In my case, I intake air into my case which is then exhausted out over the radiators so the temperature of my room is not my ambient temperature since the air heats up inside the case before it hits the radiator. Thanks guys.
    I'm no Nerd,