Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: best i7 block?

I am Xtreme
    LoL i got new stuff to try, and maybe redo some testing, the weather here is great...temps my stay good

Mr Swiftech
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeghoofd View Post

I'm redoing the swiftech GTZ as I've noticed that one screw doesn't tighten down 100% so it might gain a little...
    This is a critical issue. Please email me your address at gabe@swiftech.com for a replacement backplate.

Optimum performance with the GTZ will be obtained when the following thermal grease imprint can be observed; this is the type of imprint I had for my review. Look at the center. All the grease has been squished out showing and elongated pattern. If you see grease in the center area like you see on the edges, then you have a poor mount.

CEO Swiftech

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Does anyone know when skinnee is done with the cpu block test he is working on?

Engineering The Xtreme
    I dont think skinnee knows that himself

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    hehe

He is really thorough and stuff like that takes time. And he is also doing it in his free time.

I'm hoping it's soon since I'm buying a new cpu-block next week or so :P

Never go full retard
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodholm View Post
    Does anyone know when skinnee is done with the cpu block test he is working on?
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post

If you guys only knew how much work is involved. I'm busting hump testing as much as I possibly can and writing reviews while the tests are running. 10+ blocks is a lot of work. I am enjoying the testing and data analysis though.

I want to release an individual reviews and test reports as I go. I will publish the individual reviews to the site and a comparison thread here when all of the as-shipped/per manufacturer instructions are complete.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post

If you guys only knew how much work is involved. I'm busting hump testing as much as I possibly can and writing reviews while the tests are running. 10+ blocks is a lot of work. I am enjoying the testing and data analysis though.

I want to release an individual reviews and test reports as I go. I will publish the individual reviews to the site and a comparison thread here when all of the as-shipped/per manufacturer instructions are complete.
    Sounds awesome! And great work!

Have you done some testing on the HK yet? If so, is it as good as everyone says? You don't need to post numbers or anything just your opinion is enough for me

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Humminn55 View Post
    You're kidding, right? 30 mounts? And, given it took 30 mounts in your testing to get "the good results," I'm sure you have done as many mounts with the other blocks you've tested and rejected as being inferior to the HK, correct?

If not, why the bias? To not do as many mounts for other blocks you've run, and to do that many on the HK just to get "the good results" smacks of someone pushing an agenda.

Just sayin'..........
    I wouldn't question his biasness as we should trust he did fair testing. The bigger issue is who the hell would want a water block with such an annoying and complicated mount, which would take an experienced watercooler 30 or so tries to get the "good results" out of the block. I'll take a 1 degree hit in temperatures to save myself gray hairs.
    "Overclocking is a Nerds way of sticking it to The Man,
    I'm no Nerd,
    but I love sticking it to The Man"

Xtreme Addict
    Great, the only place that had the HK 3.0 LT, Performance-pc's, just ran out of stock. And the only other place I found, sidewinder, is OOS as well.

Don't HK's need to be imported?

Core i7 920 D0 B-batch (4.1) (Kinda Stable?) | DFI X58 T3eH8 (Fed up with its' issues, may get a new board soon) | Patriot 1600 (9-9-9-24) (for now) | XFX HD 4890 (971/1065) (for now) |
    80GB X25-m G2 | WD 640GB | PCP&C 750 | Dell 2408 LCD | NEC 1970GX LCD | Win7 Pro | CoolerMaster ATCS 840 {Modded to reverse-ATX, WC'ing internal}

CPU Loop: MCP655 > HK 3.0 LT > ST 320 (3x Scythe G's) > ST Res >Pump
    GPU Loop: MCP655 > MCW-60 > PA160 (1x YL D12SH) > ST Res > BIP 220 (2x YL D12SH) >Pump

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelCain View Post
    Great, the only place that had the HK 3.0 LT, Performance-pc's, just ran out of stock. And the only other place I found, sidewinder, is OOS as well.

Don't HK's need to be imported?
    By a German U-boat, that's why they cost $85.
    "Overclocking is a Nerds way of sticking it to The Man,
    I'm no Nerd,
    but I love sticking it to The Man"

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    This is a critical issue. Please email me your address at gabe@swiftech.com for a replacement backplate.

Optimum performance with the GTZ will be obtained when the following thermal grease imprint can be observed; this is the type of imprint I had for my review. Look at the center. All the grease has been squished out showing and elongated pattern. If you see grease in the center area like you see on the edges, then you have a poor mount.
    Thx Gabe, but I cleaned the screw with an abrasive sponge (the tread seemed damaged) A drop of WD40 in the bracket allows that screw to go all the way down now...will keep you guys posted how the block will perform.
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Addict
    I picked an Acetal HK 3.0 LC up from performance-pcs yesterday morning. They still have those blocks in stock too. They were out of the HK backplates, but subbed in a dangerden plate. I'm hoping it will work well.

--Matt
    My Rig :
    Core i5 4570S - ASUS Z87I-DELUXE - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 - 256GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme

Xtreme Member
    The supreme land of rules and regulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Freaky Freezer View Post
    I wouldn't question his biasness as we should trust he did fair testing. The bigger issue is who the hell would want a water block with such an annoying and complicated mount, which would take an experienced watercooler 30 or so tries to get the "good results" out of the block. I'll take a 1 degree hit in temperatures to save myself gray hairs.
    Thing is, the mounting mechanism isn't annoying or complicated in the least. I'm puzzled as to why on earth he would have so much trouble with it.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by century child View Post
    Thing is, the mounting mechanism isn't annoying or complicated in the least. I'm puzzled as to why on earth he would have so much trouble with it.
    puzzled? i don't like deviations.

Xtreme Member
    I meant what puzzles me is why you would be getting so much deviation because I find the mounting mechanism to be very straight forward. How large were the variations you were seeing?

I am Xtreme
    I meant what puzzles me is why you would be getting so much deviation because I find the mounting mechanism to be very straight forward. How large were the variations you were seeing?
    1c +

whats your vcore?

Xtreme Member
    1°C, not that big a deal then. I'm only running at 1.26V vcore currently.

I am Xtreme
    1°C, not that big a deal then. I'm only running at 1.26V vcore currently.
    nice vcore, that cpu will last forever

Xtreme Member
    Yep, I'm loving this cpu. I know that 3.8 GHz is nothing special for these chips but I am still amazed at an almost 1.2 GHz overclock at such a low vcore.

Just caught up on this thread. Am eagerly awaiting skinnee's test results - not because I need a new block (happy with my GTZ), but because I find these testing threads interesting.
    Last edited by shazza; 05-02-2009 at 05:29 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkosem View Post
    I picked an Acetal HK 3.0 LC up from performance-pcs yesterday morning. They still have those blocks in stock too. They were out of the HK backplates, but subbed in a dangerden plate. I'm hoping it will work well.

--Matt
    You do know that the LC version is the "Low-cost" version, right? It has a lower density of fins, which will mean lower performance.

LT or, God forbid, the "Copper Bling version", are the only ones that I would consider.

Core i7 920 D0 B-batch (4.1) (Kinda Stable?) | DFI X58 T3eH8 (Fed up with its' issues, may get a new board soon) | Patriot 1600 (9-9-9-24) (for now) | XFX HD 4890 (971/1065) (for now) |
    80GB X25-m G2 | WD 640GB | PCP&C 750 | Dell 2408 LCD | NEC 1970GX LCD | Win7 Pro | CoolerMaster ATCS 840 {Modded to reverse-ATX, WC'ing internal}

CPU Loop: MCP655 > HK 3.0 LT > ST 320 (3x Scythe G's) > ST Res >Pump
    GPU Loop: MCP655 > MCW-60 > PA160 (1x YL D12SH) > ST Res > BIP 220 (2x YL D12SH) >Pump

Xtreme Member
    QFT^^ You will likely be disappointed with the LC version on an i7.

Mr Swiftech
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeghoofd View Post
    Thx Gabe, but I cleaned the screw with an abrasive sponge (the tread seemed damaged) A drop of WD40 in the bracket allows that screw to go all the way down now...will keep you guys posted how the block will perform.
    Just make sure to check out that your imprint matches mine. The single biggest factor for performance gains is the TIM joint.
    CEO Swiftech

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelCain View Post
    You do know that the LC version is the "Low-cost" version, right? It has a lower density of fins, which will mean lower performance.

LT or, God forbid, the "Copper Bling version", are the only ones that I would consider.
    That's okay, It has to be better than my Fuzion V1. The difference between the LT and LC would probably only be ~1C anyways, right? I was under the impression that the LC is still better than the EK Supreme, which would put it on-par with the similarly priced EK Supreme LT. Am I mistaken?

--Matt
    Last edited by mattkosem; 05-02-2009 at 11:57 AM.
    My Rig :
    Core i5 4570S - ASUS Z87I-DELUXE - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 - 256GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234