Thread: HIS4850 Waterblock error

Xtreme Member

Angry HIS4850 Waterblock error

I been trying build my first water cooled pc, I have a HIS 4850 ATI graphics card, I bought a ekwater 4850 block:

EK-FC4850

http://ekwaterblocks.com/shop/produc...roducts_id=286

When I connected to the black part, the holes don't match my card holes. Also the black part is being blocked by capacitors.

Have i got the wrong water block or the graphics card is not good, dunno what to do now, do I look for a new waterblock or a new graphics card, any suggestions, also I dont know who to contact , had the card for over a year and just bought the water block two weeks ago.

Could I have got the correct waterblock but wrong black plastic thing as the box was open??

Many Thanks

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Your graphics card must follow ATI's reference design. Your HIS doesn't probably follow the reference (i.e. different cooler, memory placement etc).

Thats why it doesn't fit.

If you read the info from that link provided you can see this

EK-FC4850 CF - Acetal Ref: EK-FC4850-A
    A Full cover block for Radeon HD 4850.

High performance water block for Radeon HD4850 reference graphic cards.
    Last edited by Brodholm; 05-02-2009 at 11:57 AM.

Xtreme Member
    This is the first time I hear this, when I bought the card I never seen it say referenced or non referenced

Xtreme Mentor
    Asus P6T, I7-920, 6gb ocz xmp, 4890, Raid 0-1 Terabyte, full watercooled - Triple Loop 5 radiators

I am Xtreme
    I don't ever recall any card makers mentioning it. It's usually careful examination/comparison of what the chip maker (whether it be ATi or Nvidia) says is reference when they do the press release version and the final version made by the card manu's that determines which cards are reference.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Member
    Yes your right non of the makers say it just tried a few of them now, nothing, also the links you given above are for the 4870 but I have 4850, dam this is gonno need some work to get this right...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Have you checked if your HIS follows the reference design yet?

But I still think thats why it don't fits. Still buying parts and reading just about everything here at XS...

But then again I am a WC-noob ^^

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince21 View Post
    Yes your right non of the makers say it just tried a few of them now, nothing, also the links you given above are for the 4870 but I have 4850, dam this is gonno need some work to get this right...
    You need to read the links a bit more carefully.. it could have prevented this mess in the first place..
    ALU replacement part for EK-FC4850/4870 water blocks.

Golden sample is an entirely different card, so let's hope yours is 2 or 3, so all you need would be the aluminum side block. If your sample resembles that of the golden sample, then you have to get a different block.
    Last edited by Eddie3dfx; 05-02-2009 at 12:47 PM.
    Asus P6T, I7-920, 6gb ocz xmp, 4890, Raid 0-1 Terabyte, full watercooled - Triple Loop 5 radiators