Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CNBC Says you need 600 dollars to get a PC upto a mac

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    y can get elements with some other tools for $140, or if u are a student its $150 for the full cs4.

and dont forget that the mac osx is a copy of open bsd that has been destroyed to make it more "user friendly" and removed all non ATT and berkly intellectual property so they can charge money for it. and im still confused on how they can charge for it
    Yeah I have wondered that too. How do they get away with using a Open BSD and charging for it?
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    y can get elements with some other tools for $140, or if u are a student its $150 for the full cs4.

and dont forget that the mac osx is a copy of open bsd that has been destroyed to make it more "user friendly" and removed all non ATT and berkly intellectual property so they can charge money for it. and im still confused on how they can charge for it
    Well Elements isn't really the same thing and the student discount I am pretty sure would not apply to that guy talking nor most people.

Also, OS X is really based off of Next OS, which borrows parts from BSD. It isn't really fair to say it IS FreeBSD.

that makes more sense then, they should inform the people at the mac store of that and people should hit me when i take them seriously on anything. but next was a free OS and u payed for the apps so im not sure how apple charges for it
    Last edited by zanzabar; 04-21-2009 at 10:38 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I look at it this way, you can build a killer PC for $1000 or buy some insanely overinflated MAC
    with similar hardware specs for about $1600. So you have your $600 worth of software on the PC for free
    really lol. Not to mention you have a faster machine with the option of running a dual boot OS
    and all the programs you want.

How do they figure you need $600 to get a PC as fast as a mac after you take that into account?

Xtreme Mentor
    For me Macs died when they switched to x86 from PPC... Now they are just expensive PC's with a linux-unix based OS...

omen u brought a good point, the metric was performance and a mac will never have the performance of a properly configured pc and the "faster chip" or "higher resolution screen" they use identical parts there but the mac u have to pay to see the screen if ur in a room with lights.

and a last note with "crash free" that is changing with the adition of the 9300m chipset, there are a bunch of dead macbooks that ive seen and mac people want the last gen
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Not to mention you just use Comodo and other freeware which seems to be pretty good
    if you configure it properly.

Windows media player is all I use for all my media, its fine, and I just update codecs if
    I'm missing one. So thats more cost they seem to have pulled out of a hat??

Movie maker is on par.

PC's are so customizable and there are so many hardware alternatives
    the MAC isn't really even better at media creation and such.

It's really just a no brainer.

Mac's are for the rich who want to know absolutely
    nothing about computer's and how they work,
    and simply want something trendy and expensive
    that looks great in there humongous entry room lol.

No offense intended for any MAC users, that's just my opinion.

Xtreme Addict
    did this guy ever hear of freeware/open source software? lmao.

the things he spents so much money on can be had for free. e.g. open office, gimp, avira personal edition/avg free. burning tools as well as video editing, too. however, i dunno what he means with "music software"?! music creation? editing? whatever

good thing is, though, that even mac users think this guy is a douche
    1. Asus P5Q-E / Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @~3612 MHz (8,5x425) / 2x2GB OCZ Platinum XTC (PC2-8000U, CL5) / EVGA GeForce GTX 570 / Crucial M4 128GB, WD Caviar Blue 640GB, WD Caviar SE16 320GB, WD Caviar SE 160GB / be quiet! Dark Power Pro P7 550W / Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA / LG L227WT / Teufel Concept E Magnum 5.1 // SysProfile

2. Asus A8N-SLI / AMD Athlon 64 4000+ @~2640 MHz (12x220) / 1024 MB Corsair CMX TwinX 3200C2, 2.5-3-3-6 1T / Club3D GeForce 7800GT @463/1120 MHz / Crucial M4 64GB, Hitachi Deskstar 40GB / be quiet! Blackline P5 470W

Xtreme Member
    Mac people buy computers as a lifestyle choice.

Windows users make their lifestyle choice by spending the $600 they saved on beer and women.

Easy choice.

Xtreme Addict
    What a load of crap lol...

Norton Anti-Virus: $50/year (Who the hell says you need Norton for 50 bucks?!??!? Free avast!, AVIRA, AVG, Comodo anyone?)
    Multimedia Software: $80-$104 (Khm, WinAMP is free, so is WMP11 and FFdShow/DivX to decode, FormatFactory for media conversion)
    Photoshop: $140 (How many of you really need it? Paint.NET is free and also very powerful, so is GIMP or PhotoFiltre)
    Video Editing: $100 (i'm sure there are free alternatives, Movie Maker is one of them for starters. Free)
    Music Software: $100 (WinAMP is free, so is WMP11, Foobar2k and even Apple iTunes lol)
    Geek Squad Visit: $129 (there are always local geeks that do it for free or for one beer/very small payment)

Not to mention you over pay Apple logo and name where with PC's you get same hardware much cheaper.
    I don't have any pirated software on my PC, yet i have all the above. Funny isn't it?
    Last edited by RejZoR; 04-21-2009 at 11:19 PM.
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

Xtreme Member
    Rofl where did they find him i would like to hear more of his brilliant suggestions how to make my pc better ^^

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by faster3200
    For Professional media creation, Macs. They are the industry standard and DO have advantages over their PC counter parts.
    I've heard some people say this, do you have specific examples on how? Given the same program and hardware Macs perform better, or what?

Xtreme Addict
    CandymanCan, that is so not true it almost hurts. AVIRA smacks Norton or McAfee anytime you want. Check AV-Comparatives for avast!.
    It's among the best antiviruses there is and it is free. I also know from real world feedback from loads of avast! users that they are well protected. In the last few months they have significantly improved detection rate, lowered false positives (and also decreased fixing of false positives to few hours) and with upcoming avast! 5 (also in free version) they will rock the AV world.
    Don't underestimate programs just because they also have free editions.

But i agree that AVG Free version is somewhat mediocre, thats why i never liked it. But many ppl do so i listed it as an option.
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by CandymanCan View Post
    One thing i disagree on is the free anti-virus software like AVG and Avast they arent very good. They miss alot of stuff that Anti-virus programs like Mcafee and Norton find, hell even zonealarm's antivirus is better. I get mcafee free for being a comcast subscriber
    On my net PC I use comodo and AGV. Why? Because both norton and Zone Alarm CRIPPLE my poor PC beyond using.

If you can put up with having to wait 4 hours for your PC to start up,
    then even then, they offer nothing the others don't because unless
    you set custom rules and set them up well, even the
    best one is useless really. Personally I find the free ones better.

Look at it this was also. The first virus was likely made by the first anti virus company So each time a new version comes out that you pay for it is better sure, probably because they made more virus's so you need the new software.

I just set my firewall so it queries any new file creation or any new connection, each time its one I know, I set to remember my answer, and after a few days of use I get no more messages unless I install something new. How can you better that? Whether it's a recognized problem or not you can choose to block it.

Xtreme Mentor

Xtreme X.I.P.
    CNBC Says you need 600 dollars to get a PC upto a mac
    since apples netbook will cost around 600$, does that mean we can expect pc netbooks to cost... 1$ soon? ^^

now seriously... i think the difference is much smaller, but theres a very valid point to it...
    mac osx is more complete than windows vista...

Visitor
    I just checked the pricing of the most basic Mac Pro with dual X5550 against a comparable Dell T5500 workstation. The Dell was actually about 300 Euros more after taxes and shipping.

I don't think it would be fair to compare the price of a pre-built computer against something you put together yourself. Most professional customers aren't looking to build their own hardware. They want a computer that can be used right out of the box (memory and HDD upgrades notwithstanding).

The only problem I see with Apple is that their pricing will basically remain at the same level until the next product refresh. So basically their workstation hardware starts out priced quite competitively, but becomes hopelessly overpriced as time goes on.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    since apples netbook will cost around 600$, does that mean we can expect pc netbooks to cost... 1$ soon? ^^

now seriously... i think the difference is much smaller, but theres a very valid point to it...
    mac osx is more complete than windows vista...
    but if the make windows vista more complete the will get sued for using anti-competitive means towards other software manufactures.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by lookmomnobrains View Post
    but if the make windows vista more complete the will get sued for using anti-competitive means towards other software manufactures.
    Indeed.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    hahahha, yeah good point!
    what they should do is break the OS down into browser, media player, antivirus and other tools and apps, and charge for all of them.
    so you can buy a stripped down core OS for much less, or you buy the whole bundle, or you buy a bundle and add parts but by bit as you want to.
    that way they avoid the anticompetitive complaints, open the platform for more competition which will result in better tools and apps and an overall beter platform, and they can reduce costs of core systems and cash in more for complete OSX like bundles...

but i doubt ms will do this as they dont want to lose grip on the whole platform, and they know that many people would only buy the core OS and use third party add ons and tools since the MS ones suck

but there you go again, that IS anticompetitive beahaviour and they deserve to be punished again... the solution to this dilemma is really getting attention to how apple is hurting competition on its own locked platforms a lot more than microsoft ever did. but i dont know much about macs, so maybe im wrong? :P

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RejZoR View Post
    CandymanCan, that is so not true it almost hurts. AVIRA smacks Norton or McAfee anytime you want. Check AV-Comparatives for avast!.
    It's among the best antiviruses there is and it is free.

RejZor, you really need to go back and read AV-Comparatives again and what they've been testing.

While it's true that Avira is included in their comparative testing, the free version, which is Avira Antivir Personal, is NOT what was, or has been, tested. Instead, AV-Comparatives tested Avira Antivir Premium, which is around $30/year. In fact, in the last few comparisons, including the Feb. 2009 comparison, there were almost NO free versions of any anti-virus software at all (unsure about F-Secure or the AVG versions tested); almost all were the pay-for versions, or the more robust versions.

The list of what was tested in Feb. 2009 at AV-Comparatives:

Avast! Professional Edition 4.8.1335

AVG Anti-Virus 8.0.234

AVIRA AntiVir Premium 8.2.0.374

BitDefender Anti-Virus 12.0.11.4

Command Anti-Malware 5.0.8

eScan Anti-Virus 10.0.946.341

ESET NOD32 Antivirus 3.0.684.0

F-Secure Anti-Virus 9.00.149

G DATA AntiVirus 19.1.0.0

Kaspersky Anti-Virus 8.0.0.506a

Kingsoft AntiVirus 2008.11.6.63

McAfee VirusScan Plus 13.3.117

Microsoft Live OneCare 2.5.2900.20

Norman Antivirus & Anti-Spyware 7.10.02

Sophos Anti-Virus 7.6.4

Symantec Norton Anti-Virus 16.2.0.7

Trustport Antivirus 2.8.0.3011

And as for the notion Avira spanked anyone is false, too. While Avira had a slightly better detection rate than a lot of others, it also had a much higher false positive rate than others.....so much so that its false positive rate dropped it out of the top rank and into the second rank of AV products.

How the AV products ranked:

* Advanced+: Symantec, ESET, Kaspersky, McAfee

* Advanced: GDATA, AVIRA, Avast, BitDefender, eScan, TrustPort, F-Secure

* Standard: AVG, Sophos, Microsoft

* Tested: Authentium, Norman, Kingsoft

So, please don't throw around "facts", RejZor, until you actually do know from what you're speaking of.........

Link to the .pdf for AV-Comparatives Feb. 2009 test....rankings are on page 24.

Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    hahahha, yeah good point!
    what they should do is break the OS down into browser, media player, antivirus and other tools and apps, and charge for all of them.
    so you can buy a stripped down core OS for much less, or you buy the whole bundle, or you buy a bundle and add parts but by bit as you want to.
    They should have a version that runs Mac OSX (Cocoa/Quartz) on top of the Windows kernel. And distribute it on a subscription basis 50$ per year.
    | P5B-D | E6600 | 2GB G.Skill PC6400 GBHZ | 7900GTO | Lian Li V2100B +II | Scythe Infinity |

Xtreme Addict
    Norton Anti-Virus: $50/year - AVG Free ($0/year)
    Multimedia Software: $80-$104 - Dont even know what they mean by this ( Free Office perhaps ? $0/year)
    Photoshop: $140 - Gimp, Paint.NET ($0/year Most ppl dont need the advanced capabilities of photoshop)
    Video Editing: $100 - Bound to be a free one available somewhere.
    Music Software: $100 - Windows Media player/winamp/foobar/qemu plus countless others $0/year
    Geek Squad Visit: $129 - Totally uneeded unless your a moron.

So i total that upto $0/year. Plus there is heaps more things you can do on a PC. Tons of free software available, Possibility of upgrading components. Dont have to wait 10weeks to get it sent back to Apple to have it repaired.

Macs are awful little pieces of overpriced junk, They are good for a couple of specific tasks but those tasks can also be performed on a PC with the same efficiency. I didnt even enjoy using OSX, sure it looked quite pretty but it wasnt any more useful or faster than a well setup Windows based PC like my one at home.
    Last edited by Scubar; 04-22-2009 at 04:48 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    MAC = nuff said.

Xtreme Member
    my friend had a macbook and the number of times that thing broke was immense. So the claim of macs rarely break down is false.

Oh and can't wait for windows 7 because i think the unpopularity of Vista in the beginning contributed to the Apple gain in market share. I'm currently running windows 7 beta build 7000 with no problems AT ALL, completely stable. Only problem i had was with the free Kaspersky Anti-Virus software so i now use the AVG 1 but bought a license runs like a charm
    Last edited by Hoboclese; 04-22-2009 at 05:55 AM.
    3570K @ 4.5GHz w/ EK Supreme HF
    ASUS MAXIMUS V GENE
    MSI OC 7970 w/ XSPC razor
    8GB DDR3 1600
    64 GB SSD & 2 TB HDD
    Fractal design Arc Midi w/ internal 3x140 SR1 rad

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast