Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CNBC Says you need 600 dollars to get a PC upto a mac

Xtreme Addict

CNBC Says you need 600 dollars to get a PC upto a mac

I could not even believe my eyes or ears when i heard this guy talking. Just amazing.

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/0...as-well-as-mac

Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Xtreme Guru
    What a loser, ive been using a PC for 15 years and i can count on one hand how many times ive had a virus. This guy is an idiot and should be kicked in the face by Wanderlei Silva

Xtreme Enthusiast
    omg omg omg LOL LOL LOL! noob!

Yea, I rofled so hard when I read that a day ago.
    My Rig can do EpicFLOPs, Can yours?
    Once this baby hits 88 TeraFLOPs, You're going to see some serious $@#%....

Build XT7 is currently active.
    Current OS Systems: Windows 10 64bit

so he has

Norton Anti-Virus: $50/year (u dont need that and its only $30)
    Multimedia Software: $80-$104 (what multimedia do u need to add, i guess nero $60)
    Photoshop: $140 (why, most people dont need it and iphoto is not comparable)
    Video Editing: $100 (windows movie maker is comparable to apples)
    Music Software: $100 (its free, WMP or winamp)
    Geek Squad Visit: $129 (thats 4 hours of shop time, i think thats a bit much)

he just dosnt know what hes talking about, and its jackasses like that that fuel mac.

and what about the cost of making a mac work
    $150 for office
    $50 for an AV, macs need them too now\
    $100 a year for service packs
    and one hour of geek squad network setup to make the mac not kill the rest of the network unless u have all mac

so while im missing things on the mac side its about the same on both, who would have thought
    Last edited by zanzabar; 04-21-2009 at 08:46 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Cruncher
    What music software is he using and multimedia software is he using????

What a TOOL. Typical Mac FanDouche.

Wonder how much Apple paid him to say that stuff lol
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xtreme Addict
    Its pretty funny that the only thing that keeps macs from having viruses (aside from a few) is the fact that when compared to Windows machines, no one is using them. It just wouldnt make sense to spend time coding/finding exploits on something that obscure.

But with their recent push to get people to use them, you have started seeing more and more viruses starting to be aimed at them. Their commercials trying to sell you on mac by bashing on how PC's are prone to Viruses is actually directly causing more people to make Viruses for Macs.

They try to make it sound like they don't have Viruses because their more secure (like Linux) when in reality they don't Have Viruses because nobody cares about them due to the small user base.

If Microsoft wants a good add campaign they just need to find the guy who made this and run it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvXZVJXIyqM
    Last edited by Zaskar; 04-21-2009 at 08:51 PM.
    EVGA X58 Classified
    Intel i7 965
    Corsair Dominator 1600mhz 3x2gb
    Nvidia GTX 295

Xtreme Addict
    This guy is a marketer's dream customer.
    E8400 @ 4.0 | ASUS P5Q-E P45 | 4GB Mushkin Redline DDR2-1000 | WD SE16 640GB | HD4870 ASUS Top | Antec 300 | Noctua & Thermalright Cool
    Windows 7 Professional x64

Vista & Seven Tweaks, Tips, and Tutorials: http://www.vistax64.com/

Game's running choppy? See: http://www.tweakguides.com/

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaskar View Post
    Its pretty funny that the only thing that keeps macs from having viruses (aside from a few) is the fact that when compared to Windows machines, no one is using them. It just wouldnt make sense to spend time coding/finding exploits on something that obscure.

But with their recent push to get people to use them, you have started seeing more and more viruses starting to be aimed at them. Their commercials trying to sell you on mac by bashing on how PC's are prone to Viruses is actually directly causing more people to make Viruses for Macs.

They try to make it sound like they don't have Viruses because their more secure (like Linux) when in reality they don't Have Viruses because nobody cares about them due to the small user base.
    Yeah I truly can not wait for when these people that know nothing about computers and own these Macs and think they are above everyone in the computer world start to see their soooo fast computers running slow and files getting corrupted and all that good stuff.

Then someone will have to make them a blue screen of death that says YOU JUST GOT ED IN THE BUTT
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xtreme Addict
    it's obvious this tool is in lalalal land.

his argument might hold some ground if he was talking about old folks, or computer users who are not at all knowledgeable about anything with a computer and just want everything handed to them.
    ~

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by HuffPCair View Post
    Yeah I truly can not wait for when these people that know nothing about computers and own these Macs and think they are above everyone in the computer world start to see their soooo fast computers running slow and files getting corrupted and all that good stuff.

Then someone will have to make them a blue screen of death that says YOU JUST GOT ED IN THE BUTT
    mod hat on..
    Even though I 100% agree with you lets try and say it in a way that doesn't deplete the dancing banana supply of Xs ok?
    Thanks

Ok,mod hat off..
    Where do they find these yo-yo's who go on TV and talk as if they knew 1% of what they are talking about?
    Absolutely nothing wrong with a Mac if you don't have any issues spending thousands more than you have to.
    I think a couple weeks ago we looked at their page and could build the same machines for less than 1/2 of what they were charging.
    They went pure snob appeal with all their products and charge people like money grew on trees..
    Maybe it does somewhere but not in my neighborhood.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    mod hat on..
    Even though I 100% agree with you lets try and say it in a way that doesn't deplete the dancing banana supply of Xs ok?
    Thanks

Ok,mod hat off..
    Where do they find these yo-yo's who go on TV and talk as if they knew 1% of what they are talking about?
    Absolutely nothing wrong with a Mac if you don't have any issues spending thousands more than you have to.
    I think a couple weeks ago we looked at their page and could build the same machines for less than 1/2 of what they were charging.
    They went pure snob appeal with all their products and charge people like money grew on trees..
    Maybe it does somewhere but not in my neighborhood.

Lol sorry I have been studying for like i dont know how many hours. My head hurts and I need a beer or maybe some sleep but beer sounds a lot better.
    Stupid Finals are stupid
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xtreme Guru
    $600 is a bit much but generally speaking hes right after using my friends macbook for the first time i came home and cried at the fact that i own vista

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spawne32 View Post
    $600 is a bit much but generally speaking hes right after using my friends macbook for the first time i came home and cried at the fact that i own vista
    You mean to tell me that YOU would call in the Geek Squad?
    Hell, with their track record one has to upgrade your homes fire insurance before letting them in the door!
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Xtreme Cruncher
    You mean to tell me that YOU would call in the Geek Squad?
    Hell, with their track record one has to upgrade your homes fire insurance before letting them in the door!
    I kicked my friend for going to them once. They wanted 200 bucks to install anti virus, ANTI VIRUS that takes maybe ten minutes to install and only that long because I had to go make a sandwich.
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xtreme Cruncher
    What an idiot...

Xtreme Mentor
    haha yeah seriously what a douche... can someone make a BSOD virus for the mac already! jkjk

cant u run OSX on a pc anyways?
    FX-8350(1249PGT) @ 4.7ghz 1.452v, Swiftech H220x
    Asus Crosshair Formula 5 Am3+ bios v1703
    G.skill Trident X (2x4gb) ~1200mhz @ 10-12-12-31-46-2T @ 1.66v
    MSI 7950 TwinFrozr *1100/1500* Cat.14.9
    OCZ ZX 850w psu
    Lian-Li Lancool K62
    Samsung 830 128g
    2 x 1TB Samsung SpinpointF3, 2T Samsung
    Win7 Home 64bit
    My Rig

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by HuffPCair View Post
    I kicked my friend for going to them once. They wanted 200 bucks to install anti virus, ANTI VIRUS that takes maybe ten minutes to install and only that long because I had to go make a sandwich.
    I'll give you a laugh.
    When Circuit City a couple years back was looking at starting their own version of the Geek Squad I happened to know the guy who was the eastern US manager of Circuit city and was at his house fixing his wifes PC.
    We talked, he asked about my background,etc.
    He asked me if I'd be interested in running the operation.
    I asked him "Do I get to train the people involved?"
    'Nope"
    I laughed and passed and they were offering over 6 figures.
    I could see 7 figures of headaches coming.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'll give you a laugh.
    When Circuit City a couple years back was looking at starting their own version of the Geek Squad I happened to know the guy who was the eastern US manager of Circuit city and was at his house fixing his wifes PC.
    We talked, he asked about my background,etc.
    He asked me if I'd be interested in running the operation.
    I asked him "Do I get to train the people involved?"
    'Nope"
    I laughed and passed and they were offering over 6 figures.
    I could see 7 figures of headaches coming.
    That was me and I got laid off so I was like what the hell Ill apply at the best buy right down the road. It would be easy money and close to home. I applied and they had me come into three meetings and the final one I go into the guy tells me I am just a little to over qualified for the job. At first I laughed like o he is messing with me trying to be hip or something. I was like yeah yeah so does that mean I got the job and the guy is like no Im serious we can't hire you. I just laughed and walked out have not been in there since.
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xtreme Enthusiast
    He didn't even talk about the cost of having to buy a ln2 pot, cost of the volt mods, etc.

Xtreme Mentor
    lol what a sit head
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

Engineering The Xtreme
    ****News flash****: You can buy a 2nd PC with 600 dollars

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    so he has
    Norton Anti-Virus: $50/year (u dont need that and its only $30)
    Multimedia Software: $80-$104 (what multimedia do u need to add, i guess nero $60)
    Photoshop: $140 (why, most people dont need it and iphoto is not comparable)
    Video Editing: $100 (windows movie maker is comparable to apples)
    Music Software: $100 (its free, WMP or winamp)
    Geek Squad Visit: $129 (thats 4 hours of shop time, i think thats a bit much)
    Exactly. With the minor edit that all comps come with Nero or Roxio.

Also, I would really like to see the dream world where Photoshop is $140. It actually retails for $600 and the extended version is $1,000. I guess they decided not to do any fact checking though. If you "need" a photo editor, the gimp, or Paint.NET is fine for Non-professional purposes, which are both free.

Also, if you really want to add in true costs add in the fact that the mighty mouse breaks every month because it is the most poorly designed POS mouse ever made.

The whole Mac vs. PC debate is so silly to me.

For most users, Office, Web Browsing, and playing media is all they need, which doesn't need to cost much hardware wise. Windows and Linux are the clear choices for this.

For gaming, this should be obvious, Windows.

For Professional media creation, Macs. They are the industry standard and DO have advantages over their PC counter parts.

y can get elements with some other tools for $140, or if u are a student its $150 for the full cs4.

and dont forget that the mac osx is a copy of open bsd that has been destroyed to make it more "user friendly" and removed all non ATT and berkly intellectual property so they can charge money for it. and im still confused on how they can charge for it
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by tbone8ty View Post
    haha yeah seriously what a douche... can someone make a BSOD virus for the mac already! jkjk

cant u run OSX on a pc anyways?
    pretty much =) with selected hardware etc.. but it's getting easier and easier to do
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast