Thread: Lapped my PII 940

Xtreme Member

Lapped my PII 940

Well I am in the process of setting up my first watercooling computer, I have put ALOT of money and time into this build. I got the HAF 932 and painted the inside semigloss black and it turned out pretty good for my first painted case. And since there was alot of "firsts" for me with this build, I decided to add another one to the list, I have never lapped a CPU IHS before, so I decided to give it a go...because well if I F'ed it up, that would mean I would just have to buy a 955 (DARN ) I dont know if this is typical with all phenom chips but on my particular chip the edges were raised ALOT as compared to the middle of the IHS. Here are pics in order of them taken.

This is after about 5 minutes with 400 grit

After about 30 minutes, FINALLY starting to hit the center of the IHS

Getting closer, this if after about an hour

After finally getting it all even, and working my way up to 1000 grit, this is the finished product

Here it is seated in my M4A79 Deluxe, Now I just have to wait for my loop to finish test leaking and bleeding and we will see what the temps are like. Before with the stock heatsink, thermal paste, and no lapping, OCCT was reporting that my temps were maxing out at 54C after stress testing it. Hopefully all this work with be worth it
    Last edited by FoxRacR17; 04-21-2009 at 09:50 AM.

Xtreme Member
    looks very nice. i usually don't go all the way past the plating, just enough where it's flat.

however, if i were you, i would finish with 2000+ grit to get rid of those scratches. that's if you're wanting it to be the best it can be.

Xtreme Mentor
    did you go higher then 100 grit after it was flat ?
    the IHS is quite thick.
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Xtreme Member
    The high corners were evident in the old Phenom I's too... i would definitely agree with eRazorzEDGE on the higher grit sandpaper it makes a difference. Heres a 'post' i made when i did my first Lap job ever on the 9850 BE. It helps to sand in straight lines going one direction and 90 degree angles if you want that mirror shine. good luck man
    [MOB] AM3 Asus M4A79T Deluxe
    [GPU] ATI HD 5870 1gb 925 mhz
    [RAM] OCZ Reaper 4gb 1600 mhz
    [CPU] AMD Phenom II 965 4.0 ghz

"What doesn't kill you, only postpones the inevitable..."
    Water Cooled Apevia X-Plorer | Custom Window | Lapped Phenom II 955 | Lapped Phenom 9850

I am Xtreme
    That's sure as hell a 100 grit finish, I think he meant 1000 considering he started at 400 and claims to have went up

With that said, I had great success when I lapped my AM2 X2 a few years ago. Gained 100mhz on the stock cooler with the same voltage. Been wanting to do my PII but I haven't had the time.

Quote Originally Posted by eRazorzEDGE View Post
    looks very nice. i usually don't go all the way past the plating, just enough where it's flat.

however, if i were you, i would finish with 2000+ grit to get rid of those scratches. that's if you're wanting it to be the best it can be.
    Pointless other than having a shiny processor. 600 grit produces the best results, Cathar tested it a whiles back.
    Phenom II 940 BE / ASUS M4A79 / HD5770 Crossfire
    3770mhz CPU 2600mhz NB | DDR1040 5-5-5-15 | 900/1250

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by afireinside View Post
    Pointless other than having a shiny processor. 600 grit produces the best results, Cathar tested it a whiles back.
    i haven't seen this test, but the idea is to minimize the air gaps and every single scratch is an air gap that has to be filled with TIM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by eRazorzEDGE View Post
    i haven't seen this test, but the idea is to minimize the air gaps and every single scratch is an air gap that has to be filled with TIM.
    that's correct, but even so after 600 grit there's no performance increase. maybe there'd be a performance increase with a 1000 watt heat load, but not in the case of a CPU.

imo once you get rid of the worst (concavity, scratches) and finish up with 600-800 grit, you're set. a performance increase after doing more finishing will be hard to determine, as it will be in the order of a tenth of a degree or so. nevertheless i applaude anyone who wants to make their IHS/base as pretty as it gets, i'm just too lazy.

Ryzen 9 3900X w/ NH-U14s on MSI X570 Unify
    32 GB Patriot Viper Steel 3733 CL14 (1.51v)
    RX 5700 XT w/ 2x 120mm fan mod (2 GHz)
    Tons of NVMe & SATA SSDs
    LG 27GL850 + Asus MG279Q
    Meshify C white

Looking forward to the results man! Also what TIM are u going to use. I have As5 and AC MX-2, and it really seems to be a toss-up as for what to use. There are soo many reviews favoring one over the other.
    Computer:
    CPU: PII X6 1055t @ 3.7Ghz
    Motherboard: MSI NF980-G65
    Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB(4X2) 4GBRL DDR3 1600
    Graphics: Tri-SLI Gtx470's
    Power: Corsair AX1200
    Case: CM HAF-X
    Monitors: 3x ASUS VG236H -120HZ/3D

Xtreme Member
    Haha, yeah that is supposed to be 1000 grit that I finished up with. I started with 400, then 600, then 800, then 1000. I didnt go any higher because I read that doing 2000 doesnt really show any real world performance increase, its just for show. So I decided to stop at 1000. Does it look alright for 1000 finish?

EDIT: I'm going to be using MX-2. I use to use AS5, but decided to give MX-2 a shot and I'm not sure if I like it to much, I seem to have a much harder time applying it and evenly spreading it across the IHS. Anyone have any tips on how to properly apply MX-2?

Yeah, just put a quarter-inch line of the stuff in the middle of your CPU and then sit your cooler on top. No need to spread it out with a razor or anything like back in the old days with exposed cores.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Banned
    i know this isnt really needed anymore as particle says, but personaly i have always stuck too applying whatever it is to both the heatsink and the cpu,

i also like to apply it with a razor blade, making sure i apply a thin film to both,

but hey differant horses for differant courses

I start at 1500, go to 2000 and then chrome polish.
    P II 965 (4.1g)
    M4A79-T
    Two 5870X2s (900-1300)
    Apogee GTZ
    8g 1600 Ram 7-7-7-20
    Windows 7

Xtreme Member
    reminds me of my old 3600+ i lapped
    My Loop: mcr320/d5 vario/d tek fuzion/3x ultra kaze 2000's
    Case: Modified RocketFish
    Rig: AMD 720BE X3 Biostar TA790GX A3+ Super Talent 2x2GB WD 320AAKS His HD3870x2 Ultra X3 600W

Xtreme Addict
    Just remeber to clean all residue left from Crome Polish..

It can leave the pores clogged with polish which the paste is suppose to fill.

I use Mothers Aluminum Polish to get a gold MIRROR finish..

clean with denatured alchohal......before appling paste ..I have also shaved IHS's X2/X4 too 1mm Me old 9950 liked it alot.
    "AMD...Like the perfect Storm,...Everything needs to be just right"
    X555x4SuperCore@4450mhz@1.64v..........

RYZEN 7 1800x/ ASUS ROG STRIX VEGA64/ =EK NICKEL WB, Feser THC 2x360 1x480
    X470 Gigabyte Aorus7, Patriot 3400mhz 16gb dual2x8
    SSD Samsung 970pro,,860EVO

Xtreme Mentor
    I use brasso that really give it a nice shine... There is a difference of 4-5 C after i lapped my q6600!!

BTW be careful now that its lapped the sheet protecting the cores is thinner applying pressure at a point can rupture the sheet and cause problems. We totally screwed a chip "9500" when we tried to use DICE and due to some reason the metal sheet ruptured and computer hung and never did start up again...

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by gOtVoltage View Post
    Just remeber to clean all residue left from Crome Polish..

It can leave the pores clogged with polish which the paste is suppose to fill.

I use Mothers Aluminum Polish to get a gold MIRROR finish..

clean with denatured alchohal......before appling paste ..I have also shaved IHS's X2/X4 too 1mm Me old 9950 liked it alot.
    do you think it's possible to pop off the to like someone did with a lighter on I7.

It seem Intel amd are you using the same yellow square to glue to the IHS lol
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Xtreme Member
    Finally... been waiting for something like this, cant wait to see what your results will be.
    5000+ BE - lapped @ 3250 MHz @ 1.42v / 24/7
    TRUE 120 - lapped + 120mm Scythe Slipstream 1900 RPM
    Gigabyte MA 790FX-DQ6 on F5 BIOS
    2x1 GB Corsair DOMINATOR PC8500 + 2x1 GB Crucial Ballistix PC6400 @ 930 MHz CL5 2.14v
    Corsair HX 520W
    Sapphire HD 3870 BLUE + accelero S1 + 2 x 120mm @ 890/1300 unlocked bios / stock voltage
    RAID 0 - Seagate 2 x 250GB 7200.10 sata II 16MB c.
    Coolermaster CM690
    Dual Boot: Vista Ultimate x64 SP2 + XP SP3 x86

Xtreme Member
    Ok, finally got my system put together, and ran a 1hr run of OCCT. This is with all stock settings so no overclock, because before when I was hitting 54C with stock heatsink, thermal material, and IHS not lapped. I think the 54C was with my cpu at 3.5GHz however. When I get some time off from work I will run another run of OCCT with my CPU at 3.5GHz and see what the max temp was. So is this good so far?