Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Core i5 CPU specs, prices reported

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    lol, cry some more... you get the i5 2.8ghz cpu for the same price as a i7 2.66ghz.... spoiled people everywhere.
    lol - 6 more months of waiting and we'll get a 3% upgrade. Are we supposed to be thankful?
    I'm sorry but I wan't the 100% every 1½ year that Mr Moore has promised me.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Boissez View Post
    lol - 6 more months of waiting and we'll get a 3% upgrade. Are we supposed to be thankful?
    I think your main prohibitor in your performance demands is due to bad and poorly coded software.

Plus a new computer will be faster and cheaper with i5 than with Core 2 quad.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    I doubt the lobotimized i5 will be faster than the 9650. I also doubt the non lobotimized i5s will be cheaper than the 9650 6 months from now if they want the 9650 to compete against AMD speed bumped PIIs.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Periander6 View Post
    I doubt the lobotimized i5 will be faster than the 9650. I also doubt the non lobotimized i5s will be cheaper than the 9650 6 months from now if they want the 9650 to compete against AMD speed bumped PIIs.
    Good point; shhhh, watch out for the Q9750.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by shoehorned View Post
    That actually makes a bit difference. With a company as big as intel, the slightest price change/difference will have a large effect. And out of every home that has a desktop, only around 5% are enthusiasts, the rest do not spend top dollars for marginal gains.
    You are right, but i guess i was speaking from an enthusiasts point of view, since this is XS

Does it bother anyone else that they have felt the need to lock the owner to only "mainstream" or "high-end" when you buy a board? I much prefer one socket... that way can get the mainstream now if desired but then later get the high end without having to buy all new yet again. Why did they feel the need to segregate the different models like this?
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie27 View Post
    Another Yawner! So much for budget processor prospects. I wonder if these will get support from cheap but overly expensive motherboards as well
    i expect most 1156 boards to launch at 200$, with asus and maybe others offering even more expensive versions. the cheapest 1156 boards at launch should be around 150$ and later they will drop to 100$ and less.

i talked to a few people in the industry and they all believe the i5 prices are much too high, they are basically i7 prices... to be sucessful in the mainstream the prices should be around 30% lower most people said.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I think your main prohibitor in your performance demands is due to bad and poorly coded software.
    not all software can be multithreaded and a large portion of desktop software will never be multi threaded even if its theoretically possibly... thats where amd and intel fail, they push server multicore chips onto the desktop market that doesnt benefit from the extra cores at all...
    you could sell a quadcore that actually only has 2 active cores and pretends to have 4 cores to the OS and get the same performance as a real quadcore, people wouldnt even notice the diference...
    a faster dualcore still beats a slower quad, hexa or octa core, and will do so even in a year from now.

once again your bias insults your intelligence shintai...

faster? yes, BUT 775 is fast enough and even in games you wont really notice a difference

cheaper? no

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    i expect most 1156 boards to launch at 200$, with asus and maybe others offering even more expensive versions. the cheapest 1156 boards at launch should be around 150$ and later they will drop to 100$ and less.

i talked to a few people in the industry and they all believe the i5 prices are much too high, they are basically i7 prices... to be sucessful in the mainstream the prices should be around 30% lower most people said.
    I just got an email before coming here. The prices I'm told are MSRP and they saw no less than 8 prospects, their prices range from $169 to $219. I replied, "Don't these folks know we're in a recession?". No biggie, I'll simply stick with my Q9550 not worry much about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Member

may be you were right when you said, waiting for i5 wasn't worth it. anyway, thanks for the info

Xtreme Cruncher
    I just got an email before coming here. The prices I'm told are MSRP and they saw no less than 8 prospects, their prices range from $169 to $219. I replied, "Don't these folks know we're in a recession?". No biggie, I'll simply stick with my Q9550 not worry much about it.
    In today's economy,C2Q(as an drop-in upgrade) is much better deal than i5(7).You basically won't notice any difference except in very few apps.Plus Q9550 will OC great,so =a win...

I am hoping that i can pick up a i5 cpu and board for hopefully $500~$600AU when they are realeased, it will be a nice upgrade from an e8400. Ive got everything else except for some ram.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    thats the thing, they got it all wrong, everybody in asia thinks that these are highend systems, even i5, so they think its a chance to make a good margin and everybody prices their hardware that high

Quote Originally Posted by geo View Post
    may be you were right when you said, waiting for i5 wasn't worth it. anyway, thanks for the info
    i guess when i kept saying dont wait for i5, go get i7, most people thought i just wanted to pimp BloodRage...

but i was serious and still am... its no 975/965 situation where the newer cheaper mainstream part even beats the first gen expensive highend solutions... this is more like x48 vs p45 with ddr3, p45 is cheaper but clocks worse and has less pciE lanes, if you want a fast system x48 is still the way to go for 775... actually i think the gap between 1366 and 1156 will be bigger than that between x48 and p45...

anyways, waiting at least resulted in some savings when going to 1366
    we got FlamingBlade ready now, x58 1366 for as low as 130$ with all basic functionality and worse ocing than BR, but still 4Ghz+ and 200Bclock+ on air capable. and other board makers have cheaper x58 boards as well now...
    thats making it even harder for intel to intro i5, the second gen of x58 boards are offering a much better bang for the bug ratio than the first gen p55 boards will once they are out.

Xtreme Addict
    saaya, better bang for the bug?
    Quote Originally Posted by radaja View Post
    so are they launching BD soon or a comic book?

Xtreme Cruncher
    not all software can be multithreaded and a large portion of desktop software will never be multi threaded even if its theoretically possibly... thats where amd and intel fail, they push server multicore chips onto the desktop market that doesnt benefit from the extra cores at all...
    you could sell a quadcore that actually only has 2 active cores and pretends to have 4 cores to the OS and get the same performance as a real quadcore, people wouldnt even notice the diference...
    a faster dualcore still beats a slower quad, hexa or octa core, and will do so even in a year from now.

once again your bias insults your intelligence shintai...

faster? yes, BUT 775 is fast enough and even in games you wont really notice a difference

cheaper? no
    Actually your continual BS and crapping on anything related is an insult to this forum. you should know aswell as anyone else that a board with only a P55(ICH) southbridge to 5 or 10$ is alot cheaper than a board with a 40-50$ chipset solution with much more traces and components and a higher design and validation time.

And not 775 is "fast enough". Whats this? We can also all sit with our 2½Ghz dualcore right?

Get our of your selv religious emo rage over i5 and i7 and SoC designs. We already had this in PM.

You are starting to be a thread crapper.

Also you can do alot more multithreaded code. Amdahls law will kick in. but atleast under 8 cores/threads its still quite the benefit. Quadcores today already beat dualcores in a broad range of new games and such.

Ofcourse they think so. Intel moved revenue and profit from boards to CPUs (Just like AMD started on with the IMC and will do more with APUs). Its not exactly rocket science to see where this goes.
    Last edited by Shintai; 04-22-2009 at 12:37 AM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Boissez View Post
    Learn whats moore's law is before using it in a wrong context..

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Actually your continual BS and crapping on anything related is an insult to this forum. you should know aswell as anyone else that a board with only a P55(ICH) southbridge to 5 or 10$ is alot cheaper than a board with a 40-50$ chipset solution with much more traces and components and a higher design and validation time.
    really? should i know that? well maybe YOU should know that ibex peak will cost about as much as P45 and the SB was kinda bundled for free with intel chipsets in the past... YOU are spreading bs and dont know what your talking about... reducing rnd time, pah, how so? all intel does is move some logic around, the amount of traces you need overall is the same, the pwm capacity you need overall is the same, the numbers of pwms you need is the same, so where is this less complex? whether you have all the logic on 2 sockets or 3 sockets doesnt make a big difference, why do you think amd went back from a unified chipset to a nb sb strategy again? why did intel copy that same strategy with x58 and ich10 even though they moved the memory controller into the cpu? cause less sockets doesnt necessarily mean less complex and cheaper.

And not 775 is "fast enough". Whats this? We can also all sit with our 2½Ghz dualcore right?
    most people can, yupp...

Get our of your selv religious emo rage over i5 and i7 and SoC designs. We already had this in PM.
    relv religious... what does that even mean? same for emo rage, lmao, if your trying to insult me at least use real insults that have an actual meaning
    i love i7, i dont have anything against it, and never have had... i dont like i5 cause its overpowered and overpriced for its segment...
    all we had in pm was both of us agreeing that instead of actual knowledge all you have is a strong opinion, and that you somehow thought im against soc, which im still confused about as im looking forward to atom socs...

You are starting to be a thread crapper.
    hahahah, thats gonna make a great sig quote
    when im speculating i say so, when im posting something i know, i say so. you keep posting stuff as if you knew the details and defend your point to death, but dont actually post any details, since you dont know any.
    just like in this case, i disagreed with you and instead of proving me wrong or elaborating your opinion/point of view you start to argue and defend your point. im starting to think thats what your all about...

Also you can do alot more multithreaded code. Amdahls law will kick in. but atleast under 8 cores/threads its still quite the benefit. Quadcores today already beat dualcores in a broad range of new games and such.
    some games... and they are how much faster? you really consider that a reason to spend extra and double cpu power consumption? and dualcores clock notably higher than quads, easily making up for the litle benefit quads have in some games.
    if quadcores are really that important, then how come intel will push dualcores with ht for the mainsream? if dualcores are really that slow and outdated, then how come intel will keep dualcore 775 chips supported and alive until 2012 and expects it to continue to hold a notable market share?
    im not saying all i5 chips should be dualcore, but they shouldnt all be quadcores and cost 200$ and upwards.

Ofcourse they think so. Intel moved revenue and profit from boards to CPUs (Just like AMD started on with the IMC and will do more with APUs). Its not exactly rocket science to see where this goes.
    so far they havent, as far as i know, and i do know something while your probably just guessing again, ibex peak costs as much as p45, hence boards prices will be about the same, and design requirements are about the same too... so mainboard rnd, component cost, pcb cost, retail price and margin will be roughly the same as before. all intel did was simplify the infrastructure and reducing the number of designs on the market, and making it possible to upgrade integrated graphics. this would theoretically increase the platform life, but they will eol it rather soon since they didnt align their vrm roadmap with the platform roadmap very well...

and all this isnt even confidential information, you can find this on wikipedia and google, lol...

Xtreme Cruncher
    so far they havent, as far as i know, and i do know something while your probably just guessing again, ibex peak costs as much as p45, hence boards prices will be about the same, and design requirements are about the same too... so mainboard rnd, component cost, pcb cost, retail price and margin will be roughly the same as before. all intel did was simplify the infrastructure and reducing the number of designs on the market, and making it possible to upgrade integrated graphics. this would theoretically increase the platform life, but they will eol it rather soon since they didnt align their vrm roadmap with the platform roadmap very well...

and all this isnt even confidential information, you can find this on wikipedia and google, lol...
    Feel free to link it. Because a quick google and wiki search shows nothing.

And you claim Intel gonna price LGA1156 chips as P45? When its basicly just the same (Newer revision) ICH southbridge and no 1254pin northbridge with MCH and PCIe. Thats a joke.

Oh, and history shows you are wrong. just look on AMD boards when even just the IMC was moved to the CPU. What happend? CHEAP BOARDS. Now you got IMC+PCIe on the CPU and a single chip solution.
    Last edited by Shintai; 04-22-2009 at 02:03 AM.

I am Xtreme
    some games... and they are how much faster? you really consider that a reason to spend extra and double cpu power consumption? and dualcores clock notably higher than quads, easily making up for the litle benefit quads have in some games.
    if quadcores are really that important, then how come intel will push dualcores with ht for the mainsream? if dualcores are really that slow and outdated, then how come intel will keep dualcore 775 chips supported and alive until 2012 and expects it to continue to hold a notable market share?
    im not saying all i5 chips should be dualcore, but they shouldnt all be quadcores and cost 200$ and upwards.
    some games is good... every game recently released now at least supports dualcore, in case of UT3, GTA4, Farcry2, GRAW 2 and some other games, they even profit more from quadcores then from dualcores.

The only thing you could say is, that people don't notice it cause they run into GPU limited situations all time.

Uh and btw your dualcore i5 is called clarkdale and is probably will be named i3, it sahres the same boards as i5, so you have the choice to either go quad or dual. The same choice you have now with S775.

Its funny how many people complain about i5 prices, the same time the cheapest Q9xxx is also around 200€ (Q9300)
    Last edited by Hornet331; 04-22-2009 at 02:48 AM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Feel free to link it. Because a quick google and wiki search shows nothing.
    interesting... wikipedia has been cleaned again, no more p55 page and the core i5 page has been castrated to 5 sentences
    and nehalemnews is gone... dont know where i read about the price, but im pretty sure it was wikipedia, and i read on some cebit coverage that p55 will cost about 45$, which is roughly the same as p45. anyhow, even if the chipset price would be lower than that, it wont be less than 20$, and whether its 20$ more or less you pay for a board really doesnt mater in the mainstream segment. hmmm i wonder why wiki content can still be removed so easily...

And you claim Intel gonna price LGA1156 chips as P45? When its basicly just the same (Newer revision) ICH southbridge and no 1254pin northbridge with MCH and PCIe. Thats a joke.
    exactly what im thinking! i totally agree with you, its a joke... go and tell intel...
    p55 doesnt have any extra logic except for the fdi thing, besides that its exactly a ich10 afaik... oh well it has this new turbo memory 2.0 cache controller or whatever they call it, but besides that its just an ich10 afaik... and yes, its rather ridiculous to charge that much for it... even if they would only charge 20$, thats still 20$ more than they charged before. southbridges are pretty much free when you buy a nb bundled with it, 1$ i think?
    well i guess intel didnt want to give up cashing in on boards AND cpus... if theyd really just charge the usual sb cost for p55, then boards makers would probably actually make even more money than they do now, while boards prices would stay the same. so its smart of intel to charge about the same, if they wouldnt, then that margin would go to the board makers and not them...

Oh, and history shows you are wrong. just look on AMD boards when even just the IMC was moved to the CPU. What happend? CHEAP BOARDS. Now you got IMC+PCIe on the CPU and a single chip solution.
    and what happend when amd went back from i chipset to nb and sb? same cheap boards...
    its not quite as simple as 2=expensive 1=cheap...

Xtreme Cruncher
    Ehm Saaya...where is those prices you base it all on? Wikipedia? Gone? Plus Wiki aint exactly the place for truth all the time.

Perhaps you should also put your comments away about the price.

For AMD the IMC is still there. So the northbridge only handles PCIe. Still a huge saving cost.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    some games is good... every game recently released now at least supports dualcore, in case of UT3, GTA4, Farcry2, GRAW 2 and some other games, they even profit more from quadcores then from dualcores.
    farcry2 benefits from 4 cores? thats not what i saw, not at all... and ut3? ut3 isnt even that cpu hungry... gta4 and assesins creed are the only games i saw that really use 4 cores, and again, how big is the benefit over dualcores... its tiny...

The only thing you could say is, that people don't notice it cause they run into GPU limited situations all time.
    yeah, thats what i meant when i said cpus are more than powerful enough.

Uh and btw your dualcore i5 is called clarkdale and is probably will be named i3, it sahres the same boards as i5, so you have the choice to either go quad or dual. The same choice you have now with S775.
    i heard 1156 wont be called core i5 and i3, it wont even be called core... but im not sure... and afaik those chips will be igp, and thats not what you want when overclocking... though intel might have arranged things in a way that it doesnt limit overclocking too much...

Its funny how many people complain about i5 prices, the same time the cheapest Q9xxx is also around 200€ (Q9300)
    on newegg 8200 is only 165$, but yes, your right... quads arent exactly cheap for 775 either... even the 5xxx cpus cost close to 100$, intel has really become expensive again... and 7xxx dualcores cost almost as much as 8xxx quadcores? that doesnt really make sense considering you get twice the silicon hmmmm either intel wants to push people to buy quads or cash in big time for the dualcore chips... and i assume its the latter... especially since q6600 chips still go for over 200$...

Xtreme Member
    Actually, I hope I do have to eat my words on this and much rather be wrong!

No, I don't ever get tired of talking about all kinds of BS being called enthusiast, that's with over-priced hardware of all kinds, not just motherboards. My disgust is in almost anything called enthusiast without enthusiast results. Crap like Killer NICs, Fatality and Xonar Sound cards, RAM that's has about 2% more performance with real world apps but cost 200% more and tons of other CRAP! Also, wayyyyyy too many danged company sales-folks in disguise on this forum (doesn't include you)
    Why you bashing Xonar... It's the best sound card on the market
    Hardware
    • Core i5 750 @ 3.6Ghz (180x20)
    • Scythe Zipang 2
    • 4x2Gb DDR3 (1080@7-7-7-16, 1.65v)
    • Gigabyte P55-UD2
    • EVGA GTX 260, Corsair 550VX, mATX case

Audio/Video
    • Samsung LN32A550 32" 1080p LCD
    • Asus Xonar Essence STX
      1. Denon AH-D2000
      2. Sony STR-DE197 -> Polk Audio M10

Desktop Picture

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Ehm Saaya...where is those prices you base it all on? Wikipedia? Gone? Plus Wiki aint exactly the place for truth all the time.

Perhaps you should also put your comments away about the price.

For AMD the IMC is still there. So the northbridge only handles PCIe. Still a huge saving cost.
    huge saving costs, hahah, im sure amd engineers can get a heartly laugh out of this

i never edit or delete my posts to correct a wrong assumption i made, i leave that to you
    besids, i dont think this is just a rumor, im sure p55 will cost about the same as p45 and board prices will be higher than p45 at launch and about the same after some time passed.

enough about what i said and think is going to happen, how about your comments then? dare to say anything more solid? so you claim p55 will cost how much? 5$? 20$ and that will make a diference how? that will unleash a storm of customers raiding pc shops and crash neweggs website once i5 gets released, even though the cpus cost a couple hundred dollars?

the launch prices of i5 are almost identical to the launch prices of their 45nm chips, 160$ to 530$, this time the perceiveable end user benefit over the current gen is smaller, we are in a recession with over 4 million lost jobs in the us so far, and... the launch prices are 30-50$ higher... reality check?

and thats not even taking into account the fact that 45nm parts launched into an existing infra structure of mature and reasonably priced and well available mainboards. i5 will launch with brand new not quite mature boards with a hefty launch bonus on them, so if you look at platform cost your paying another bonus on the boards... no wonder intel wants everybody to believe the recession is over.
    Last edited by saaya; 04-22-2009 at 03:40 AM.

I am Xtreme
    farcry2 benefits from 4 cores? thats not what i saw, not at all... and ut3? ut3 isnt even that cpu hungry... gta4 and assesins creed are the only games i saw that really use 4 cores, and again, how big is the benefit over dualcores... its tiny...
    farcry 2 uses 3 cores (since its ported from xbox360)

http://www.xcpus.com/reviews/121-Far...ng-Page-2.aspx

you gain more fps compared to 2, not much but with more powerfull gfx cards the difference will be bigger.

UT3 on the otherhand gains form every core:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3127&p=4

as said, most of the time people don't noticed it cause the run into gpu limitation with there 9800gt or equivalent, but most people here run pretty highend stuff (4870/4890 ocd or 260gtx+ also oced), and there you'll notice the difference.

Even HL2 (TF2/L4D) recently gained dualcore support and maybe later even gets better threading, since there engien is so cpu limited.

As for the Q6600, you can't blame intel for the high prices since the CPU is EOL, hell a Q6700 (tray, 140€) is cheaper then a Q6600 (tray, 160€).

Its price gouging by the retailers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast