Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Core i5 CPU specs, prices reported

Xtreme Mentor

Core i5 CPU specs, prices reported

Delayed until October or not, the Lynnfield (Core i5) are closing in which means more details about them are also popping up. Manufactured using the mature 45nm process, Intel's first Socket 1156 processors are said to be the 2.66, 2.8 and 2.93 GHz-clocked Core i5 models. These processors will all feature four cores and an integrated dual-channel DDR3 memory controller (providing DDR3-1066/1333 support), 8MB of L3 cache and a TDP of 95W.

According to reports, the upcoming 2.66, 2.8 and 2.93 GHz chips will have support for the Turbo Boost technology which will enable single-core overclocks of up to 3.2, 3.46 and 3.6 GHz respectively. In terms of prices, the CPUs would go for $196, $284 and $562, with the cheapest part, the 2.66 MHz model, set to not include features like Hyper Threading, vPro and TXT, which will be found on the 2.8 and 2.93 GHz Lynnfields. Shortly after releasing these three processors, Intel is expected to deliver its first 32nm CPUs.
    TechConnect Magazine

Xtreme Guru
    What's with the latest downtime, this news disappeared. Anyway it's worthy a repost, that 2.66GHz SKU @ $196 is really really nice IMO, hopefully we can get some overclock results soon, I wouldn't concider one if it doesn't do at least 3.6~3.8GHz though, otherwise it's not worth switching to a new mobo + DDR3 over a Core 2 Duo/Quad setup yet.
    Last edited by RPGWiZaRD; 04-20-2009 at 04:34 AM.
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

I am Xtreme
    Another Yawner! So much for budget processor prospects. I wonder if these will get support from cheap but overly expensive motherboards as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie27 View Post
    Another Yawner! So much for budget processor prospects. I wonder if these will get support from cheap but overly expensive motherboards as well
    i5 is not the budget category its the mainstream cpu (replacement for Q9xxx/8xxx).
    Budget is reserved for i3 (or whatever clarksdale is called...), replacement for all other dualcores....

And you never seem to get tired of bashing motherboard prices, even before they are launched. Make sure you dont eat those words some day.

Xtreme Guru
    Why are every1 acting like i5 is a lot slower than i7 when it isn't.

Motherboard features is what will be the biggest difference.
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post
    Why are every1 acting like i5 is a lot slower than i7 when it isn't.

Motherboard features is what will be the biggest difference.
    Actually, there IS a difference between i5 and i7. QPI speeds are slower, I believe, and the PCIe controller has been moved off of the NB and onto the CPU package.

When Intel starts releasing the 8-core nehalems they are likely to only appear in i7's LGA1366 format and not i5's LGA775.

Xtreme Addict
    Lga1156....

Xtreme Addict
    If ITX comes to i5 instead of i7, I would have no choice but to happily downgrade! ^_^

All systems sold. Will be back after Sandy Bridge!

Xtreme Member
    Damn you Intel for deliberately neutering the 2,66 ghz part...

Xtreme Guru
    With LGA 1366 prices being so low, i dont see why anyone would want an i5 over an i7 for 100 bucks less overall for board/cpu/memory

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boissez View Post
    And I was waiting to buy an "cheap" I5... I hope that this is not definitive.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    i5 is not the budget category its the mainstream cpu (replacement for Q9xxx/8xxx).
    Budget is reserved for i3 (or whatever clarksdale is called...), replacement for all other dualcores....

And you never seem to get tired of bashing motherboard prices, even before they are launched. Make sure you dont eat those words some day.
    Actually, I hope I do have to eat my words on this and much rather be wrong!

No, I don't ever get tired of talking about all kinds of BS being called enthusiast, that's with over-priced hardware of all kinds, not just motherboards. My disgust is in almost anything called enthusiast without enthusiast results. Crap like Killer NICs, Fatality and Xonar Sound cards, RAM that's has about 2% more performance with real world apps but cost 200% more and tons of other CRAP! Also, wayyyyyy too many danged company sales-folks in disguise on this forum (doesn't include you)
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
    Actually, there IS a difference between i5 and i7. QPI speeds are slower, I believe, and the PCIe controller has been moved off of the NB and onto the CPU package.

When Intel starts releasing the 8-core nehalems they are likely to only appear in i7's LGA1366 format and not i5's LGA775.
    8core would be LGA1567 and for quadsocket+ servers.

EDIT: And i5 dont have QPI. Plus i5 is dualchannel.
    Last edited by Shintai; 04-21-2009 at 11:46 AM.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by GAR View Post
    With LGA 1366 prices being so low, i dont see why anyone would want an i5 over an i7 for 100 bucks less overall for board/cpu/memory
    I would. 20% or more lower platform power consumption. Smaller designs (Tho we do have mATX X58 boards).

Boards will basicly be 100-150$ less. And CPUs alittle less.
    In my eyes i7 is only for those wanting SLI/CF. And i5 for those that want 1 card and a normal system so to say.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Boissez View Post
    Ack indeed. Shades of the 486SX. This is the crap that happens when there isn't enough competition.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Wow.....i was like cool $200, then i saw "no HT" WTF Intel?
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post
    Wow.....i was like cool $200, then i saw "no HT" WTF Intel?
    lol, cry some more... you get the i5 2.8ghz cpu for the same price as a i7 2.66ghz.... spoiled people everywhere.

Xtreme Mentor

I can pop an i5 onto my P5Q! Awesome

Seriously, is there a point in picking one of these up over an i7 920? Unless you can get a board for dirt cheap. No HT on the $200 model. So I would need to pay $100 more for the next model which has HT or the same price as a 920, probably more than a 920 by October.
    Last edited by BababooeyHTJ; 04-21-2009 at 01:20 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    8core would be LGA1567 and for quadsocket+ servers.

EDIT: And i5 dont have QPI. Plus i5 is dualchannel.
    I think he meant 6 core.
    EVGA X58 Classified
    Intel i7 965
    Corsair Dominator 1600mhz 3x2gb
    Nvidia GTX 295

Xtreme Member
    I believe they will eventually increase the number of on-die cores - that's what Nehalem was designed for: core scaling.

Xtreme Member
    That actually makes a bit difference. With a company as big as intel, the slightest price change/difference will have a large effect. And out of every home that has a desktop, only around 5% are enthusiasts, the rest do not spend top dollars for marginal gains.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I believe they will eventually increase the number of on-die cores - that's what Nehalem was designed for: core scaling.
    Westmere archtecture on 32nm brings 6 cores to the desktop/DP servers.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by shoehorned View Post
    That actually makes a bit difference. With a company as big as intel, the slightest price change/difference will have a large effect. And out of every home that has a desktop, only around 5% are enthusiasts, the rest do not spend top dollars for marginal gains.
    Actually that number is lower than 1%! Don't confuse all DIYers with Enthusiast! It might be the same mistake Intel is making here.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

I am Xtreme
    Snip!

In 2010, a processor code-named Gulftown (see graphic) is slated to appear and will be Intel's first six-core desktop processor. The Westmere chip will plug into existing Intel motherboard designs.

Westmere will support Intel's Hyperthreading technology, which doubles the number of tasks that can be handled simultaneously.

In related news, Intel's Nehalem mobile "Clarksfield" (don't confuse with Clarkdale) and Nehalem desktop "Lynnfield" processors will come in the second half of the year, according to Intel.

Chinese-language technology Web site HKEPC says Clarksfield quad-core processors will have speeds of 1.6GHz, 1.73GHz, and 2.0GHz and range in price from $364 to $1,054.

Both Annandale (32-nanometer) and Clarksfield (45-nanometer) chips are targeted at the "thin-and-light" laptop market, according to Intel documentation.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

Banned
    Word! I'm building a i7 920 system that is going to be cheaper than the s775 system in my sig. The good thing is, the prices have nowhere to go, but down from here on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast