X

    Subscribe to New Ads!

    Receive weekly ads in your inbox!



Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Anyone run a MCR320 Stack in Series yet?

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    58

    Anyone run a MCR320 Stack in Series yet?

    I'm waiting for my hardware to get here to re-plumb my MCR320 sandwich in series, as I haven't gotten very good performance in parallel.

    Just wondering if anyone else has run them in series yet, and if so, what kind of improvements are seen over the parallel setup. Also wondering what kind of flow rate hit there is.

  2. #2
    Engineering The Xtreme
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    7,222
    havent tested mine in parallel... but I have the first MCR320 stack ever running in series and it works great.....

  3. #3
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ventura, CA
    Posts
    156
    Do you have any pics of how you set it up? I am planning to run mine in series as well. Are they stacked and if so how are the fans blowing? Thanks....
    Main Rig:
    Custom A+ Black Pearl
    Seasonic M12 700W
    Asus Rampage Formula Bios 0701
    Q6600@3.7
    4x2gb Patriot Extreme Performance
    2xSapphire 4870 1gb
    2X500gb Mator Raid 0

    Watercooling:
    HeatKiller 3.0 LT
    MCW30
    2xMCW60
    2xMCR320 stacked w/6 75cfm fans push/pull
    MCP655
    BP Matte Black 1/2OD fittings

  4. #4
    I am Xtreme
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    WA, USA
    Posts
    41
    I have been testing my stacked 320's in a loop with my overvolted 920 and 4870 with a 355+restop. Fans are S-flex E's (1200 rpm). It produced a 2 degree improvement. Adding 3 more fans another 2 degree improvement for a 4 degree total. By the way, this matches the performance of adding a MCR 220 to the loop instead of the stack.

    My setup is like this:

    ------------------------case top
    ===============rad
    ***************fans
    ===============rad
    ***************fans

    air is being pushed out of top of case.

  5. #5
    Never go full retard
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,980
    I am about 50 minutes from wrapping up the parallel tests, I will try to fit series config testing in during a CPU block testing break.

  6. #6
    I am Xtreme
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    WA, USA
    Posts
    41
    Can't wait for the results! I want to see if mine are on track.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    3,602
    I'd be interested in the results too.

    Someone edumacate me.

    Parallel rad > series rads
    or
    series rads > parallel rads

  8. #8
    Xtreme X.I.P.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Bend, Oregon
    Posts
    5,693
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    I am about 50 minutes from wrapping up the parallel tests, I will try to fit series config testing in during a CPU block testing break.
    Looking forward to the results


    Reviewing swiftech's chart here:


    The difference between 1gpm and 2GPM is about 50 watts with 2100RPM Delta Fans. So about 50/400 or a 12% gain for a full double the flow rate.

    You won't quite be doubling the flow rate because your system pressure drop increase, so it's probably more like a 10% gain if that. Soo...I'd guess maybe .5C to 1C depending on what the water/air difference is.

  9. #9
    Admin
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    13,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    Looking forward to the results


    Reviewing swiftech's chart here:
    [IMG]img[/IMG]

    The difference between 1gpm and 2GPM is about 50 watts with 2100RPM Delta Fans. So about 50/400 or a 12% gain for a full double the flow rate.

    You won't quite be doubling the flow rate because your system pressure drop increase, so it's probably more like a 10% gain if that. Soo...I'd guess maybe .5C to 1C depending on what the water/air difference is.
    Plus, if we're dealing with the fractions of degrees here, then having the coldest air cool the water last might just be worth worth a little bit as well I bet

  10. #10
    Never go full retard
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,980
    Keep in mind, my tests are of the "sandwich" nature as that was the design intent of the radiator.

    Meaning

    radiator
    --------
    fans
    --------
    radiator

  11. #11
    Admin
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    13,107
    Eh? You have results to show?

  12. #12
    I am Xtreme
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,584
    i wonder how that sandwich compares to a gtx360


  13. #13
    Never go full retard
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,980
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    Eh? You have results to show?
    Prepping the data for analysis and presentation. Basically, I just like making you all wait.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    89
    So what will be better aloop with 2 mcr220's in series or a dual loop?

    I'm curerntly running my loop order as follows. T-Line > DDC with petras top > MCR220 > Apogee > MCR220 > MCW60 > T-Line.

    I'm getting a Lian Li case this weekend so that i will be able to get a dual loop going. on with a new HK 3.0 LC & a D5 vario the other with the MCW60 & the DDC.

  15. #15
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    615
    Wow I'm so interested in what your controlled testing can result in. I know what my very amateurish testing resulted in.

    I Are DuneCat
    I Controls The Spice
    I Controls The Universe

    Cooler Master ATCS 840 | Corsair HX 520W | Asus P5Q Pro | Q9550 | HD4870 | Corsair Dominator 4GB PC8500 |
    D-Tek FuZion v2 - EK RES 150 - Swiftech MCR-220/320 - Swiftech MCW-60 - DDC 3.2 + Petra's Top

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    Prepping the data for analysis and presentation. Basically, I just like making you all wait.
    Be nice and show us the data!
    PLEASE..............................

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Johmem View Post
    I have been testing my stacked 320's in a loop with my overvolted 920 and 4870 with a 355+restop. Fans are S-flex E's (1200 rpm). It produced a 2 degree improvement. Adding 3 more fans another 2 degree improvement for a 4 degree total. By the way, this matches the performance of adding a MCR 220 to the loop instead of the stack.

    My setup is like this:

    ------------------------case top
    ===============rad
    ***************fans
    ===============rad
    ***************fans

    air is being pushed out of top of case.
    Is this a parallel or series setup?

    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    Looking forward to the results


    Reviewing swiftech's chart here:


    The difference between 1gpm and 2GPM is about 50 watts with 2100RPM Delta Fans. So about 50/400 or a 12% gain for a full double the flow rate.

    You won't quite be doubling the flow rate because your system pressure drop increase, so it's probably more like a 10% gain if that. Soo...I'd guess maybe .5C to 1C depending on what the water/air difference is.
    So plumbing the second MCR420 in series is only going to net about a 10% improvement?

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    35
    What? Where? I want an MCR420!

    I just had to say it, but on a side note. Not to thread hi-jack, this is related...


    how do you mount fans on the mcr320, do the radiators come with little brackets or something?
    Computer:
    CPU: PII X6 1055t @ 3.7Ghz
    Motherboard: MSI NF980-G65
    Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB(4X2) 4GBRL DDR3 1600
    Graphics: Tri-SLI Gtx470's
    Power: Corsair AX1200
    Case: CM HAF-X
    Monitors: 3x ASUS VG236H -120HZ/3D

  19. #19
    I am Xtreme
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    WA, USA
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by pneubmatic View Post
    Is this a parallel or series setup?



    So plumbing the second MCR420 in series is only going to net about a 10% improvement?
    It is parallel.

    Maybe I'm not fully awake yet but how are you interpeting this chart to come up with the theoretical performance of a stack?

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •